Free Agent Frenzy: Lakers Work Out Beasley (408)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 am

Tom Penn just covered our situation if Melo takes the max - we'd have $9.4M in cap room if we stretch Nash's contract.
Damian Necronamous

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 am

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 49s
Pat Riley is still setting up free agent meetings for his trip to L.A. this week, selling promise of rings over Miami's shrinking cap space.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Translation - Sign here for cheap because we don't actually have 12 million in cap space
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:21 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:Tom Penn just covered our situation if Melo takes the max - we'd have $9.4M in cap room if we stretch Nash's contract.

The Lakers are probably going to sell him on taking 17-18 million so they have extra room to fill out the roster and that when he's 35, he will get reimbursed in the form of a bigger contract than his value should indicate.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:27 am

WTF is wrong with everyone? Seriously! What the hell is all this talk about him "taking a lower salary"?!

He is a bad defender and his game has seriously regressed the past few years...why do people all of a sudden have this assumption that he's still a $12-14M/yr player? $9.5M is probably MORE than he deserves!!!

We just gave his stupid butt $19M/yr...he should be grateful that we're still even talking to him!
Damian Necronamous

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:28 am

:man3:
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:31 am

:man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 am

But like, for real...

"Pau taking a pay cut"?! STFU, ESPN!
Damian Necronamous

Postby Barnstable on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:33 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Damian Necronamous wrote:Tom Penn just covered our situation if Melo takes the max - we'd have $9.4M in cap room if we stretch Nash's contract.

The Lakers are probably going to sell him on taking 17-18 million so they have extra room to fill out the roster and that when he's 35, he will get reimbursed in the form of a bigger contract than his value should indicate.

I agree.

If this does work, Kobe's contract might start to make more sense to those that hated it. This might be the new way to work the CBA. Verbal agreements with teams that have a track record of honoring their word regarding taking care of their star players.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:34 am

Barnstable wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

I agree.

If this does work, Kobe's contract might start to make more sense to those that hated it. This might be the new way to work the CBA. Verbal agreements with teams that have a tract record of honoring their word regarding taking care of their star players.

I don't even want to know how they keep those records...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 am

^ :man10: Thought I fixed it before anyone caught it
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 am

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Too quick!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby unpossibl1 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:47 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:WTF is wrong with everyone? Seriously! What the hell is all this talk about him "taking a lower salary"?!

He is a bad defender and his game has seriously regressed the past few years...why do people all of a sudden have this assumption that he's still a $12-14M/yr player? $9.5M is probably MORE than he deserves!!!

We just gave his stupid butt $19M/yr...he should be grateful that we're still even talking to him!

He arguably had the best season of his career last year, the team around him just wasn't built to win. Felton, J.R Smith, Bargnani, and Chandler? That's a lineup that isn't going anywhere. They swapped Chandler and Felton for Calderon and Dalembert but I'm not sure that really makes them any better (as much as I admire Calderon's efficiency).

That's the tough part of the sell for New York: they have to convince Melo that their cap space NEXT summer will lead to a superstar buddy coming along. The Lakers already have Kobe (and reportedly Pau if Melo signs), the Mavs have Dirk and Monta, Houston has Haren and Coward, Chicago has Rose and Noah. New York has to essentially ask Melo to sacrifice another year of his career to mediocrity.

Houston, Chicago, and Dallas all have to ask Melo to take some measure of a pay cut, and reportedly Phil will ask him to do the same in NY to help bring in another star. LA, however, can offer him a full max contract.

So the Lakers do have some things going for them, although admittedly it would appear that Chicago is the best fit basketball-wise, Houston has two other prime, injury-free stars, and Dallas has a combination of a superstar in Dirk, border-line All Star in Monta, and just added the Knicks best defender in Chandler.

It isn't a cut and dry, one team has the best offer situation. They all have pros and cons and Melo will have to decide where he wants to be.

My guess is he returns to NY, but it would shock me to see him in LA to play with his buddy Kobe.
unpossibl1

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am

Barnstable wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

I agree.

If this does work, Kobe's contract might start to make more sense to those that hated it. This might be the new way to work the CBA. Verbal agreements with teams that have a track record of honoring their word regarding taking care of their star players.

I'm not sure he's taking into account the cap holds.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 am

unpossibl1 wrote:
Damian Necronamous wrote:WTF is wrong with everyone? Seriously! What the hell is all this talk about him "taking a lower salary"?!

He arguably had the best season of his career last year, the team around him just wasn't built to win. Felton, J.R Smith, Bargnani, and Chandler? That's a lineup that isn't going anywhere. They swapped Chandler and Felton for Calderon and Dalembert but I'm not sure that really makes them any better (as much as I admire Calderon's efficiency).

That's the tough part of the sell for New York: they have to convince Melo that their cap space NEXT summer will lead to a superstar buddy coming along. The Lakers already have Kobe (and reportedly Pau if Melo signs), the Mavs have Dirk and Monta, Houston has Haren and Coward, Chicago has Rose and Noah. New York has to essentially ask Melo to sacrifice another year of his career to mediocrity.

Houston, Chicago, and Dallas all have to ask Melo to take some measure of a pay cut, and reportedly Phil will ask him to do the same in NY to help bring in another star. LA, however, can offer him a full max contract.

So the Lakers do have some things going for them, although admittedly it would appear that Chicago is the best fit basketball-wise, Houston has two other prime, injury-free stars, and Dallas has a combination of a superstar in Dirk, border-line All Star in Monta, and just added the Knicks best defender in Chandler.

It isn't a cut and dry, one team has the best offer situation. They all have pros and cons and Melo will have to decide where he wants to be.

My guess is he returns to NY, but it would shock me to see him in LA to play with his buddy Kobe.

The person you quoted is talking about Pau.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:51 am

Actually, when Penn did his little tv board cap room thing, he erased Nash's salary completely. He ignored that we can't "get rid" of Nash, and did not take into account the 3 million dollar hit we'd still take. So subtract 3 mil from how 9.4. He suggested we offer 8 mil with what we have left, and then had no idea who else we could get and asked if Sacre as our starter with Kobe, Melo, Pau and Randle is good enough. We wouldn't have 8 mil to give Pau first of all, and after that he was extremely uncreative with our roster, or didn't care to be, very dismissive of our situation.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 am

Weezy wrote:

Actually, when Penn did his little tv board cap room thing, he erased Nash's salary completely. He ignored that we can't "get rid" of Nash, and did not take into account the 3 million dollar hit we'd still take. So subtract 3 mil from how 9.4. He suggested we offer 8 mil with what we have left, and then had no idea who else we could get and asked if Sacre as our starter with Kobe, Melo, Pau and Randle is good enough. We wouldn't have 8 mil to give Pau first of all, and after that he was extremely uncreative with our roster, or didn't care to be, very dismissive of our situation.

Actually it's 3.3 from 9.4 so we'd have only 6.1 million or so to offer Pau before we have absolutely no money left. Seems like a long-shot.

That being said, Pau is apparently seriously considering Oklahoma City and they only have the MLE to offer him I believe. Maybe it's not the most far fetched thing? I don't know. I doubt he takes that little, but there you go.

If we had Pau and Carmelo we're selling out on defense, but our starting rotation isn't terrible.

PG/Kobe/Carmelo/Randle/Pau. That starting five doesn't blow me away, but it definitely is in the playoffs. Give us some luck and we're in the 2nd round at least.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:57 am

Oh, did he really just erase it entirely? Didn't realize that.

Of course, I did notice that he was extremely uncreative. All of these guys have been ridiculously uncreative about the Lakers. Have they not learned from the Heat the past few years? They really aren't giving us any kind of credit and are just assuming that we'll go forward with Sacre and Marshall as two of our starters, even if we get Carmelo. They're just being lazy and stupid about the whole thing.

All of them (Broussard, Windhorst, Penn, Stein) have completely poo-poo'd us.
Damian Necronamous

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:58 am

Willard on the radio now saying that we should forget about Carmelo and go for Greg Monroe and Isaiah Thomas. Sign me up for that. Of course, I don't think Detroit lets Monroe leave.
Damian Necronamous

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:01 am

All I know is we were able to add Young, Farmar, Henry, Johnson, & Marshall for minimum contracts and Kaman for 3 mil out of nowhere last season. So I'm not counting out Mitch's ability to put together a good, cheap bench again so soon.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:01 am

therealdeal wrote:
unpossibl1 wrote:

Ummm...yeah, I wasn't talking about Carmelo at all...
Damian Necronamous

Postby lotus on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:01 am

Doc Brown wrote:

This makes sense and is probably the smarter option. Will Melo leave money on the table in N.Y.? That is the question.
lotus

Postby unpossibl1 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 am

therealdeal wrote:
unpossibl1 wrote:

Ha my bad, was scanning quickly while getting ready to head out. Anyway my points about Melo's decision still stand!
unpossibl1

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 am

Weezy wrote:All I know is we were able to add Young, Farmar, Henry, Johnson, & Marshall for minimum contracts and Kaman for 3 mil out of nowhere last season. So I'm not counting out Mitch's ability to put together a good, cheap bench again so soon.

Exactly. And what nobody outside of LA seems to realize is that that was actually a pretty darn good bench. Sure, we didn't win too many games. But we were being led by the blind (D'Antoni), had zero star power and zero defense on the inside.

The PGs and wings we were able to bring in (Farmar, Marshall, Young, Henry, Johnson, Bazemore) were all very good additions.
Damian Necronamous

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:06 am

If we strike out on Carmelo then I'm the first one on board with Monroe. Let's do it. Offer him a max deal and offer Stephenson that 2/28 million deal and see if he bites on 5 million more a year annually and the ability to earn another big paycheck just about to enter his prime.

The rest would fill out the small remaining cap space, the bi-annual exception or whatever it's called, and minimum contracts.

Marshall/Farmar/Clarkson
Stephenson/Kane
Bryant/Young/Henry
Randle/Kelly
Monroe/Okafor?/Sacre
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 am

Damian Necronamous wrote:
Weezy wrote:All I know is we were able to add Young, Farmar, Henry, Johnson, & Marshall for minimum contracts and Kaman for 3 mil out of nowhere last season. So I'm not counting out Mitch's ability to put together a good, cheap bench again so soon.

Exactly. And what nobody outside of LA seems to realize is that that was actually a pretty darn good bench. Sure, we didn't win too many games. But we were being led by the blind (D'Antoni), had zero star power and zero defense on the inside.

The PGs and wings we were able to bring in (Farmar, Marshall, Young, Henry, Johnson, Bazemore) were all very good additions.

Agreed. If we brought back most of the bench from last year and added Carmelo and Kobe to the mix, that's a playoff team for sure. Absolutely.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion