Free Agent Frenzy: Wayne Ellington signed (423)

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

I agree real, we miss on Melo I would go big for Monroe and Stephenson, rather than Thomas, because well, defense. Stephenson, Kobe, Randle, Monroe, not a bad start at all for me. Kobe most likely wouldn't be thrilled, but oh well.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am

Weezy wrote:I agree real, we miss on Melo I would go big for Monroe and Stephenson, rather than Thomas, because well, defense. Stephenson, Kobe, Randle, Monroe, not a bad start at all for me. Kobe most likely wouldn't be thrilled, but oh well.

I think he'd come around when he got out there and saw these kids working hard. The crazy thing about that team would be youth... Those 3 pieces around Kobe are all under 24 years old. We'd have a real solid core building up with, at worst, movable pieces.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby karacha on Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 am

I think, with any of those additions (whether it's Melo, or Stephenson, or Monroe), plus maybe a PG, we'd be a playoff team next season. A lot of it depends on Kobe, of course, but if he says he's feeling good, then I am sure he is ready. He won't be a 30-year old Kobe, but hey... if he's healthy, he is still better then most. You know he still wants to win.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37461
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby jlkr on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:03 pm

Monroe will get matched, forget him. Stephenson already asking for too much money from the Pacers. Lakers shouldn't try to match or better that.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
User avatar
jlkr

 
Posts: 4203
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: your friendly neighborhood bar

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Weezy wrote:I agree real, we miss on Melo I would go big for Monroe and Stephenson, rather than Thomas, because well, defense. Stephenson, Kobe, Randle, Monroe, not a bad start at all for me. Kobe most likely wouldn't be thrilled, but oh well.

Sign Monroe for defense? Say it aint so Weezy.

Maybe next summer we can sign Marc Gasol for his 3 point shot.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2531
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:20 pm

I agree with you guys about the bench though.. Having an inside track on bringing most of those guys back makes us alot closer to contending than people think. The Spurs just showed everyone how important a great bench can be, & ours was right up there with theirs when we were healthy. Insert Kobe, Melo, Randle into the starting lineup on last years team & we can hang with anyone.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2531
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:36 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
Weezy wrote:I agree real, we miss on Melo I would go big for Monroe and Stephenson, rather than Thomas, because well, defense. Stephenson, Kobe, Randle, Monroe, not a bad start at all for me. Kobe most likely wouldn't be thrilled, but oh well.

Sign Monroe for defense? Say it aint so Weezy.

Maybe next summer we can sign Marc Gasol for his 3 point shot.


Perhaps I should have used a period, but I meant "Stephenson, rather than Thomas, because well, defense". I don't want Thomas, he can score like crazy, but not even 6 feet tall, no defense. I'm not nearly as down on Monroe's defense as you are, but no I wouldn't list him as a defensive pick up.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:48 pm

jlkr wrote:Monroe will get matched, forget him. Stephenson already asking for too much money from the Pacers. Lakers shouldn't try to match or better that.

Let's just bring back the same team as last season since we have no shot at any free agents!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby denimPortugal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:48 pm

Shams Charania: Free agent guard Thabo Sefolosha has reached agreement on a three-year, $12 million deal with the Atlanta Hawks, league source tells Real
User avatar
denimPortugal

 
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:01 am

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Cool hopefully that puts them out of the running for Nick Young.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby LakerJack on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:
jlkr wrote:Monroe will get matched, forget him. Stephenson already asking for too much money from the Pacers. Lakers shouldn't try to match or better that.

Let's just bring back the same team as last season since we have no shot at any free agents!


The Lakers may not have a choice. If they dont sign Melo, Pau is likely to go to Mia or Chi or Okl to get a shot at a ring. No Melo and no Pau means no other FA and wait for next years lottery.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
User avatar
LakerJack

 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:35 pm

LakerJack wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
jlkr wrote:Monroe will get matched, forget him. Stephenson already asking for too much money from the Pacers. Lakers shouldn't try to match or better that.

Let's just bring back the same team as last season since we have no shot at any free agents!


The Lakers may not have a choice. If they dont sign Melo, Pau is likely to go to Mia or Chi or Okl to get a shot at a ring. No Melo and no Pau means no other FA and wait for next years lottery.

The point is that we have to go after free agents like Monroe or Stephenson regardless of company lines. Force them to beat us, don't let them beat us.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:43 pm

We don't even have a draft pick next season, being in the lottery again would be pointless and embarrassing. Unless our draft pick is top 5 protected and we were that awful, which I don't see of Kobe is healthy, another down year would be for nothing. We HAVE to aim for higher, even if that's just finding a piece or two to start to build toward the future with.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 3m
Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has also reached out to representatives for former PG Steve Blake, according to a league source
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More


Don't bring this trash back. We already have one injury prone old PG on the roster.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm

I can't handle retreads like that. If we strike out on players we want and settle for players we got rid of already last season, I will begin tearing my hair out. I like Blake, seems like a good dude, but no, please no.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Wrath12X on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 3m
Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has also reached out to representatives for former PG Steve Blake, according to a league source
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More


Image :bang:
User avatar
Wrath12X

 
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:35 pm
Location: SC

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby sister golden hair on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Wrath12X wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 3m
Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has also reached out to representatives for former PG Steve Blake, according to a league source
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More


Image :bang:


Why? Seriously ... why? Blake's a nice guy and apparently a good teammate, but is also way past his expiration date and tends to get injured (and miss significant playing time) every single season. Did last year teach this FO nothing? Here's a hint: go younger and less likely to break down.
sister golden hair

 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:51 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Wrath12X on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 pm

sister golden hair wrote:
Wrath12X wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 3m
Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has also reached out to representatives for former PG Steve Blake, according to a league source
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More


Image :bang:


Why? Seriously ... why? Blake's a nice guy and apparently a good teammate, but is also way past his expiration date and tends to get injured (and miss significant playing time) every single season. Did last year teach this FO nothing? Here's a hint: go younger and less likely to break down.

I like Blake, he's a great guy..but I do not want him back here. We need to get MUCH younger, not bring these old guys back again & again.
User avatar
Wrath12X

 
Posts: 303
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:35 pm
Location: SC

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:14 pm

Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 4h

A sleeper free agent for many teams: Josh McRoberts, likely in $4-$6 mil range. Clifford raved about him: a multiple-effort big & can shoot.

I know the market this summer is ridiculous, but if McBob gets $6m...
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby unpossibl1 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Vincent Goodwill ‏@vgoodwill 58s
Hearing Isaiah Thomas' preferred teams (in order): Lakers, Heat, Pistons
User avatar
unpossibl1

 
Posts: 3316
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:54 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:16 pm

JSM wrote:
Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 4h

A sleeper free agent for many teams: Josh McRoberts, likely in $4-$6 mil range. Clifford raved about him: a multiple-effort big & can shoot.

I know the market this summer is ridiculous, but if McBob gets $6m...

I'd love McRoberts back. I liked him the first time around but uh... not for the price. For that price let's just keep Jordan Hill around.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40357
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:17 pm

What if IT is the fireworks the FO is talking about? Dump Nash bring in IT.

Or a fall back plan.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby unpossibl1 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Ethan Norof ‏@Mr_Norof 1m
If #Lakers do not land Melo, LAL will turn its attention in short order to Isaiah Thomas & present offer sheet—& they should.


Wow!
User avatar
unpossibl1

 
Posts: 3316
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:54 pm

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Gery Woelfel ‏@GeryWoelfel 32m

Free agent Caron Butler is drawing strong interest but is likely to choose between Heat, Lakers or Spurs.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Free Agent Frenzy: Rumors, Reports, Rumblings

Postby Aonex on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:22 pm

In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
User avatar
Aonex

 
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:04 pm
Location: NYC

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.