Game Day draft: Let's Run an Experiment Shall We?

Game Day draft: Let's Run an Experiment Shall We?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 am

I was listening to 710 ESPN the other day and I heard John Ireland bring up this point: how many teams around the league have a worse roster than ours? He's right. Our roster right now, with all the injuries and D-League players, is absolutely the worst roster I can think of. We don't even have a young stud to build around like Utah or Sacramento.

Another person on the radio (Willard I believe) brought up a second point: if we were to hold a draft right now of the team the Lakers are playing, how long would it take to get to a Laker? (This was assuming Pau didn't play)

This question was posed to Mychal Thompson before the Cavs game and Thompson's response was something like: Kyrie Irving, Luol Deng, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Nick Young. Or something like that. It might have been one or two more or less, but the point is that most teams we play will have at least 2-3 players better than any player we have on our roster.

So I'll pose the same question: Tonight the Lakers play _______. How many players would you pick from either team before you got to a Laker?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Game Day draft: Let's Run an Experiment Shall We?

Postby Center Court on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:01 am

Rondo, Pau, Green, Young

Boston's roster is pretty bad also
Center Court

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:01 am

The difficult part of this season will be when we're fully healthy.

Kobe, Blake, Farmar.

They are all competitors. Get them back with Young, Meeks, and Hill and they'll start playing "decent" again. We won't beat the top teams, but we'll definitely beat the lower teams like the Utah's and Milwaukees.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:02 am

Tonight the Lakers play the Celtics. I'd draft the players like this:

1. Rajon Rondo (yes even off an injury)
2. Pau Gasol
3. Jeff Green
4. Avery Bradley
5. Jordan Hill
6. Jared Sullinger
7. Kendall Marshall
8. Wesley Johnson
9. Kris Humphries
10. Jodie Meeks?

It was really hard to get past 5 players I'd really want to rank against another player with these two teams... yikes.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:04 am

This game happened to be a bad game to prove how bad our roster is compared to the other one. :man10: Boston's team is maybe worse. Definitely worse when you take injuries into account.

When our team heals up obviously this point won't be as strong, but I still think it'll prove exactly where our roster stands on any given night. Usually it's bad. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:13 am

therealdeal wrote:Tonight the Lakers play the Celtics. I'd draft the players like this:

1. Rajon Rondo (yes even off an injury)
2. Pau Gasol
3. Jeff Green
4. Avery Bradley
5. Jordan Hill
6. Jared Sullinger
7. Kendall Marshall
8. Wesley Johnson
9. Kris Humphries
10. Jodie Meeks?

It was really hard to get past 5 players I'd really want to rank against another player with these two teams... yikes.

those effin Celtics...they're even tryin to outstink us
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 am

Injuries have nothing to do with our woes... almost half of the teams are going through injury problems and those teams are fighting much harder then the Lakers are....

If you look at all the 29 teams in the league... all of them have a young star to build around besides the Lakers... and the sad part is... the Lakers don't have the luxury to trade for a young star player... we are gonna be stuck with this roster until the Lakers decide to overpay for old star players in the off-season.
Slurpee22

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:57 am

or until we get a draft pick next season...

why is it hard for people to understand that getting that "young star" is damned near impossible when you're successful almost every season, winning 5 rings in 7 finals appearances.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:07 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:or until we get a draft pick next season...

why is it hard for people to understand that getting that "young star" is damned near impossible when you're successful almost every season, winning 5 rings in 7 finals appearances.

I don't have faith in the Lakers drafting the right player for this franchise, especially if Chaz is involved....
Slurpee22

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm

:man10:

Chaz could throw a dart between Embiid, Wiggins and Parker and not really go wrong.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Slupree- not only are you wrong in your assessment of the Lakers' woes, but you're getting this thread off topic. Either participate in the meaning of the thread, or leave it alone.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:16 pm

therealdeal wrote:Slupree- not only are you wrong in your assessment of the Lakers' woes, but you're getting this thread off topic. Either participate in the meaning of the thread, or leave it alone.

My mistake, I just thought I would put out that a lot of teams are going through injury problems... also who would you rather draft Rondo or Gasol?
Slurpee22

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Slurpee22 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Slupree- not only are you wrong in your assessment of the Lakers' woes, but you're getting this thread off topic. Either participate in the meaning of the thread, or leave it alone.

My mistake, I just thought I would put out that a lot of teams are going through injury problems... also who would you rather draft Rondo or Gasol?

First of all there's no team as injury ridden as the Lakers. Their first 3 Point Guards are hurt. Their best player is hurt. And their backup wing that they tried to turn into a Point Guard is hurt. Now their best wing scorer is suspended. Tell me one roster in the NBA that looks like that besides ours.

I would draft Rondo because he's the most talented of all the players from the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers. I would draft Pau Gasol because he's the second most talented of all the players from the Boston Celtics and the Los Angeles Lakers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Rondo
Green
Bradley
Pau
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:35 pm

I understand, that injuries have been part of the problem, but when I see this team play and the lazy mistakes they keep doing... I remind myself that the coaching is a bigger problem then the Injuries.

P.S. - That Sullinger kid could become the next Amare but with better defense.
Slurpee22

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Slurpee22 wrote:P.S. - That Sullinger kid could become the next Amare but with better defense.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Center Court on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Slurpee22 wrote:Injuries have nothing to do with our woes... almost half of the teams are going through injury problems and those teams are fighting much harder then the Lakers are....

If you look at all the 29 teams in the league... all of them have a young star to build around besides the Lakers... and the sad part is... the Lakers don't have the luxury to trade for a young star player... we are gonna be stuck with this roster until the Lakers decide to overpay for old star players in the off-season.

I've heard it all.

Kobe, Nash, Blake, Farmar, X, Pau (for stretches)

You cannot be serious that injuries have no impact on how we are playing. our 3 pg's are out. Our best player is out. Our second best player has missed games due to injury/sickness. Except for Young, you could make the argument that when healthy those are our 6 best players.

No other team in the NBA has had this level of injury except BK. Chicago lost Rose. NY has also been forced to shuffle guys around as other are injured but we've been decimated by injury. Couple that with a coach who's manta is running and outscoring you opponents and this is what you get.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Rondo
Green
Bradley
Pau

Bradley and Green before Pau?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 pm

I don't wanna upset Real; so I'm gonna stay on topic and not talk about the injury and the team....
Slurpee22

Postby Slurpee22 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:06 pm

I would for certain draft Kelly Olynyk ahead of Meeks..
Slurpee22

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Green
Bradley
Pau

If it's for their careers definitely not.

But for this season, I'd take Bradley for his defense and Green for being a SF we desperately need over Pau and his on/off play.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Green
Bradley
Pau

If it's for their careers definitely not.

But for this season, I'd take Bradley for his defense and Green for being a SF we desperately need over Pau and his on/off play.

Gotcha. I'd say they're roughly on equal talent level honestly. Green isn't the guy people thought he'd be, but he's a decent player. Bradley is exactly what people thought and that's fine. Pau has declined to their level unfortunately.

I picked Pau purely for his size.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:11 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Slurpee22 wrote:P.S. - That Sullinger kid could become the next Amare but with better defense.

^^^ :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby LakersN4 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:16 pm

I know it's kinda off topic for the OP but I still really like the idea of making an offer to Avery Bradley this summer.. Not as much if Kobe doesn't return to being Kobe, but if he does, Bradley is a great option at PG next to him.. Doesn't need the ball in his hands, knocks down the 3 at a respectable clip, & most of all is 1 of the better PG defenders in the league.. He isn't Bledsoe but he shouldn't get offers anywhere near what Bledsoe will either. Doubt the Celts want to commit more than 3-4M a year to him while they're in rebuilding mode trying to find a max player to pair with Rondo.
LakersN4

Return to Lakers Discussion