33 game winning streak in jeopardy no more. final thoughts?

Re: lakers 33 game winning streak is in jeopardy!!!!

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 pm

looks like Detroit will go down too.

I heard something awesome by the announcer after a steal by the king, "Lebron is so smart as a player he sees plays 2 plays ahead of whats happening." Now that is skill right there.

Well looks like the streak will continue!
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby jlkr on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:36 pm

Just have to hope the Spurs show up to play even though they have @MEM the next night. Hope Stern notes the schedule and calls the Spurs management to tell them they better give an honest effort against Miami. Otherwise, Miami could very well run the table to the end of the season: that would be 39 in a row ...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 am

Either the Spur stop the streak at 29 games, or the Heat break the record. I don't really see any other team on their schedule capable of stopping them.

The Heat this season remind me of the Shaq-Kobe Lakers; a team that is unstoppable when motivated and destined to win multiple titles. They've been that dominant, as much as I don't want to admit it.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 am

I guess its only fitting. The Lakers assemble a team with superstars who underachieve their way to the 8th seed only to lose in 4 or 5 games in the first round. Meanwhile, the other team filled with superstars shows how you win with all that talent.

Miami will not only get that win streak record, no one's gonna stop them on their way to a repeat title. SA doesn't have what it takes. OKC without Harden is not as good as the team who made the finals last year.
snackdaddy

Postby Forward Three on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Watch the Heat close out the season without another loss and then sweep the postseason...
Forward Three

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:49 pm

^ it could happen...with a little help from their friends.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby gradymac on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 pm

bobcats play the heat tommorow. vegas has them losing by 18....think the cats will cover the spread??
gradymac

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 am

I put $100 on the Bobcats to win. I'll make out like a bandit if I am right.
LAKEROC

Postby Forward Three on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 pm

The Bobcats have had a modest history in recent years of being something of a goliath buster, but I doubt that happens tonight.
Forward Three

Postby retro_nights on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 am

as ridiculous as it may sound, if they dont lose to the spurs, they may not lose another game this season looking at their schedule.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am

Yeah that streak is gone I'm afraid so :man6: :man6:
Jazzygirl205

Postby dj vitus on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:39 am

Can someone find data on combined opponent winning % during this Heat streak? Maybe compare it to our 33? I'd be surprised if it were higher than .400.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby JGC on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 pm

dj vitus wrote:Can someone find data on combined opponent winning % during this Heat streak? Maybe compare it to our 33? I'd be surprised if it were higher than .400.

Not that that REALLY matters. But yeah would be interesting.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 pm

JGC wrote:
dj vitus wrote:Can someone find data on combined opponent winning % during this Heat streak? Maybe compare it to our 33? I'd be surprised if it were higher than .400.

Not that that REALLY matters. But yeah would be interesting.

it obviously matters to someone
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:31 pm

People will only remember that they broke the record if they do, not who they beat, but yeah, I would be willing to bet the level of competition is not close. As history goes on nobody will care about that though, only the number of wins they end up with, and I have no issue with that, you can only play who you play, still have to win the games.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 pm

NBA.com did a piece recently comparing the two streaks, if I recall correctly, the combined opp. win % is about the same, slightly higher for LAL but by like .03 or something very insignificant. The biggest difference between LAL's streak and MIA's streak is that LAL won almost all of their games by double digits and many were big blowouts, MIA has had more come-from-behind wins and very narrow 'escapes'. Which either says MIA has faced tougher competition or LAL was the stronger team or both or whatever.

One other noteworthy detail of LAL's streak was that they won 8 games in 10 days which is unlikely to ever happen again in the league since it was a back-to-back-to-back REST back-to-back REST back-to-back-to-back situation.

It's really tough to delve into history over something like this I think. Some of the greatest to ever play the game were suiting up in the 70s, it was a golden era of talent for the league but it's also so hard to look back and realistically compare any of those players, even the monolithic ones, against modern players and really divine how they might stack up. That being said, I think the fact that 20+ game streaks are so rare historically does suggest that that '70s Lakers squad was a seriously good team that if you could magically transport to today's NBA would still be a seriously good team.

Overall, I think win streaks are fun and engaging in the sense that you always want to see if it'll keep going or not, and there is a historic value to them, but I mean, they don't tell you much overall. They're a combination of skill and luck erring more on luck in some instances. I mean, the 2008 Rockets had their 22-game streak and no one considers them one of the greatest teams ever assembled or anything close to that. The current Heat team is at least a de facto "GREATEST TEAM EVAR" and all but I don't think having a big streak 'proves' that as much as people make it out to be. Adds to the case, sure, but I do think people blow streaks out of proportion a bit. They're closer to anomalies, by my reckoning.
Forward Three

Postby lakers_09tv on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Weezy wrote:People will only remember that they broke the record if they do, not who they beat, but yeah, I would be willing to bet the level of competition is not close. As history goes on nobody will care about that though, only the number of wins they end up with, and I have no issue with that, you can only play who you play, still have to win the games.

The league was separated back then. A lot of the best players in the world were actually playing in another league, the ABA.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby LAKEROC on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm

How ironic, that the game that will break the Lakers' 33 game record, would be against Milwaukee, who will also be their first round opponent.

I am a Laker fan, but I must say, I am truly in awe of what the Heat are doing, and respect their incredible talent. I still dream of a Lakers-Heat finals, even if it is far-fetched
LAKEROC

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm

lakers_09tv wrote:
Weezy wrote:People will only remember that they broke the record if they do, not who they beat, but yeah, I would be willing to bet the level of competition is not close. As history goes on nobody will care about that though, only the number of wins they end up with, and I have no issue with that, you can only play who you play, still have to win the games.

The league was separated back then. A lot of the best players in the world were actually playing in another league, the ABA.

Well there you have it, people can always overlook circumstances in every case, but a streak is a streak. Houston still has that 22 game win streak, one of the longest ever, to look back on and be respected, and I couldn't tell you a single team they beat off the top of my head, only the number of wins they had.

I do find it a little funny and not coincidental that you only bring that point up after LeBron himself brought it up though.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakeShow09 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Lebron: streak might be more difficult than '71 Lakers

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/nba/miami-heat/story/Is-Heats-streak-more-difficult-than-Lake?blockID=883909&feedID=3720

“Back then, the leagues were separate. It wasn’t a full league at that time, the ABA and NBA leagues spread apart,’’ James said about 1971-72. “So some of the greatest players weren’t even in the (NBA) at the time. But … that takes nothing away from what (the Lakers) were able to accomplish; 33 games in a row is 33 games in a row. I don’t care who you’re playing against. Our league is so competitive now. We’ve got 30 teams. We have so many great players. To even have (had winning 33 straight) as a goal for me, it was never even an option.’’

James, who is well-versed in basketball history, is referring to a time when the NBA had 17 teams and the rival ABA had 11. The ABA that season featured future Hall of Famers Julius Erving, Rick Barry, Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Mel Daniels and Roger Brown.

“I just think the game is so much different now,’’ Riley said last year. “Players today mentally, I don’t think there would be enough discipline to maintain that kind of focus and concentration for so long. There are so many things that distract you. If some team (had) 20 to 25 wins in a row, (players) might say, ‘Heck, let’s get this over with.’ There would be so much scrutiny and so much media coverage, it might be, ‘Let’s just end this and get on with normalcy.’ I can’t see it happening (that the Lakers’ record ever would be broken).’’
LakeShow09

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Well #27 probably coming today

What's crazy is this Heat team was basically coasting for half the season. I don't know what caused them to finally start trying, but if they had played this hard the entire season they would have approached 70 wins easily.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby LakeShow09 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:14 pm

lmao at the picture of Bosh on the espn main page right now.
LakeShow09

Postby Forward Three on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Not watching the game but just saw a tweet that the Heat finished the half on a 21-4 run, which seems very symptomatic of the same type of play they've had for many games of this streak. They half-[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.], coast, play casually then put their foot down and go on these blitzing runs whenever they need to.

I think that is the most impressive attribute of this Heat team really. They are so unified and on the same page collectively and they are so comfortable playing together that it really is a question of "okay, let's put this one away now" and they can do it, just about every time, and at any given moment.
Forward Three

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Weezy wrote:
lakers_09tv wrote:

Well there you have it, people can always overlook circumstances in every case, but a streak is a streak. Houston still has that 22 game win streak, one of the longest ever, to look back on and be respected, and I couldn't tell you a single team they beat off the top of my head, only the number of wins they had.

I do find it a little funny and not coincidental that you only bring that point up after LeBron himself brought it up though.

Heck if we are going to do that why not also talk about how teams traveled back in those days? There wasn't first class travel, luxary hotels, over the top medical advancements and fewer days off. I personally found it intriguing that none of the pundits even mentioned Hou 22 game winning streak, after losing Yao and TMac mind you, until the Heat tied them. Winning this many games should be praised it is no joke even if they played against JV High school teams. That being said, only because Lebron is involved will it be allowable to try and deminish the Lakers 33 game win streak.
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby noobiew on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:02 pm

This is unfair, the East is so horrible and pathetic.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion