33 game winning streak in jeopardy no more. final thoughts?

Re: 33 game winning streak in jeopardy no more. final thoughts?

Postby S.R.05 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:final thoughts: the bulls punked the heat physically tonight, something nobody else has done this year

but IMO miami is still clearly the best team in the league and id be a little surprised if they dont win another title this year

health man.

Wade hasn't been this healthy in a while. When Wade is as healthy as he's been, the team is clearly the best out there.

yep. and now that the streak is over and they've essentially clinched the conference, you would imagine they'll take it a little bit easier for the rest of the reg season. who out east can really challenge them? and once they get to the finals (inevitably), can the spurs or thunder really beat a healthy miami in a 7 game series
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 am

boquilla wrote:Image :man10: :man10:

:man10: :man10: :man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 am

Only chance is SA if they can get home court.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Lqv2015 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 am

It would've been funny if Miami's last regular season game would stop at 32 games of their streak. :man10:
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 am

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 6h
Nate Robinson had the best quote after ending the Miami Heat's 27-game winning streak: "Not 28, not 29, not 30..." (via @BeyondTheBuzzer)
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

:man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 am

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:final thoughts: the bulls punked the heat physically tonight, something nobody else has done this year

but IMO miami is still clearly the best team in the league and id be a little surprised if they dont win another title this year

health man.

Wade hasn't been this healthy in a while. When Wade is as healthy as he's been, the team is clearly the best out there.

yep. and now that the streak is over and they've essentially clinched the conference, you would imagine they'll take it a little bit easier for the rest of the reg season. who out east can really challenge them? and once they get to the finals (inevitably), can the spurs or thunder really beat a healthy miami in a 7 game series

Well surprisingly they're only two games up on the Spurs right now, so they can't necessarily pack it in yet. I think they're going to have to still play the games out at the end here.

But definitely they won't be pushing the same way they were when the streak was alive.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Nate Robinson had the best quote after ending the Miami Heat's 27-game winning streak: "Not 28, not 29, not 30..." (via @BeyondTheBuzzer)

Oh man that's fantastic.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 am

I'm not saying this is the same, because the Heat are a better team, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_Houston_Rockets_season
Rockets won 22 straight, lost in the first round.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:26 am

Doc Brown wrote:

I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am

Wish more teams would be as physical as the Bulls were with Lebron driving and such.
JLaker17

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 am

final thoughts? heat suck buwhahaa
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
DuddlyDoRight

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:35 am

JLaker17 wrote:Wish more teams would be as physical as the Bulls were with Lebron driving and such.

unfortunately, if that was metta that would've been a flagrant 2 and a 3 game suspension.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 am

I dislike the CHEAT a great deal and I'm happy that's over with. Now someone beat them in a series this post season please and I can really be ecstatic (not counting on that though, sadly).
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Re: lakers 33 game winning streak is in jeopardy!!!!

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:10 am

Forward Three wrote:Really seemed like the Heat were going to cheat their way through this one. But, the Bulls made it work. Watched the second half only and I haven't watched that many Heat games this season but every time I do I hate them that much more. This really is one of the chumpiest teams of chumps ever assembled(Clippers and 08 Celtics are ahead). They approach the game with so much entitlement and this attitude that they are ordained by the league to win. It really sucks. It sucks the soul out of the game in some ways save for it being immensely satisfying to see them lose.

Re: Lebron's flagrant in the 4th. Honestly, that could have just as easily been an ejection. The only reason it wasn't was because Boozer is a big dude and Lebron is Lebron. But realistically, you see Lebron make eye contact, wind up and deliver the hit. Players usually get ejected and even suspended for that. Remember when Fisher did it to Scola? Same exact thing.

1. Retaliation move
2. Made eye contact(no pleading that it was unintended roughness)
3. shoulder down, braced for impact
4. excessive and unnecessary contact with intent to harm

Seriously. I was yelling at the TV About that. So many other players in the league would be suspended for something like that. But Boozer absorbed the contact so well that it seemed less harsh than it was and Lebron is Lebron, the league isn't going to suspend him, certainly not eject him from a hotly contested match.

It kills me that the officials factor in things like "well, did the player fall hard?" and "did the player take the hit well?" when deciding these things. One of the whole reasons for having Flagrant-2s and suspensions in the first place is specifically to punish players who take vigilante action against other players. Nothing at all about what Lebron did was a basketball play. It wasn't fighting through the screen or setting a hard pick. It was specifically, with intent, plowing into someone out of retaliation that he wasn't given a call on the other end. Do we really have to paint the distinction that it's only suspension worthy if Boozer happened to have been Hinrich or someone who would might have gotten hurt?

Tired of the Heat though, that team is a disgrace to the sport.

Just saw this post. 100% agree. Great post.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 am

And ESPN just asked SAS why Lebron doesn't get calls.....

I turned it off.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:16 am

ESPN defending the Kang... ALthough Skip is holding him to task for saying the Bulls didn't make basketball plays. Shocker.

Of course, SAS is in full defending mode of the King being right. NOICE.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am

Doc Brown wrote:And ESPN just asked SAS why Lebron doesn't get calls.....

I turned it off.

WOW.
FabFourLakers

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 am

Final thoughts?

Chillbongo

Postby JGC on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Imagine a team coming together in spite of dealing with injury woes to prevent history from happening instead of just moping and sulking?

There's no reason we shouldn't be better than the Bulls!
JGC

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:05 pm

The game against the Bulls proves just how dangerous Indiana is. They play the exact same way the Bulls played against the Heat, except they play almost every game like that. Once the playoffs roll around and the physical play is ramped up, they could take the Heat to 7 games, and anything can happen then. Then again Miami can just flop their way to the playoffs again.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm

JGC wrote:Imagine a team coming together in spite of dealing with injury woes to prevent history from happening instead of just moping and sulking?

There's no reason we shouldn't be better than the Bulls!

I half agree with this....there's a big difference btwn the Bulls and Lakers...COACHING.
FabFourLakers

Postby 432J on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:55 pm

i can't stand robinson but that quote is great

here are my thoughts on the heat streak

it only shows how weak the NBA, particularly the EC is. the heat are a very good team, not a great one by any means. playing the sixers, bobcats, and magic multiple times only shows how fake this streak really was. i think they're gonna be gassed come playoff time with all the energy that went into this streak
432J

Postby Forward Three on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 am

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:The game against the Bulls proves just how dangerous Indiana is. They play the exact same way the Bulls played against the Heat, except they play almost every game like that. Once the playoffs roll around and the physical play is ramped up, they could take the Heat to 7 games, and anything can happen then. Then again Miami can just flop their way to the playoffs again.

Yeah, the Pacers have really been a great team this season and they play hardnosed basketball to boot. But it's hard to see how it really matters. Even if Indiana and Miami meet in the ECF, it's not like Miami won't be getting the benefit-of-the-doubt on most calls. The Thunder would have just as easily won the championship last season save for the way Miami gets calls(it was 4-1 series but most of those games were deceptively close). It would be a serious upset for any team to take Miami out through physicality, no way the league lets it happen.
Forward Three

Re: lakers 33 game winning streak is in jeopardy!!!!

Postby dj vitus on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am

I wonder what would happen if LeBron and Blake Griffin got into a shoving match. Who would get the call? Would we all get sucked into a black hole?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Alleyhoops on Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Alright, enough of this nonsense about the 71-72 ABA watering down and detracting from the NBA talent the Lakers had to face during their 33 game win streak.

In today's L.A. times, another reader sent a letter in saying that the 1971-72 ABA had significant stars including, Dan Issel, Artis Gilmore, Julius Erving, George Gervin, Rick Barry, etc., etc. Unfortunately for that argument, it's the "etc., etc." that doesn't hold water. Truth be told, the ABA garnered a miniscule handful of high profile players that made the rest of the sports world take notice. And The reason "etc., etc.", is used in the argument is because there really are no more big names after those five. The likes of Rick Mount, Mel Daniels, Louie Dampier round out that list of names.

Let's just jot down a few of the NBA's players from the 71-72 season, shall we?

Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Willis Reed, Jerry Lucas, Bill Bradley, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham, Walt Bellamy, Lou Hudson, Pete Maravich, Gus Johnson, Wes Unseld, Jo Jo White, John Havlicek, Dave Cowens, Don Nelson, Nate Archibald, Bob Lanier, Dave Bing, Cazzie Russell, Nate Thurmond, Calvin Murphy, Elvin Hayes, Sidney Wicks, Lenny Wilkens, Spencer Haywood. Shall I go on?

The ABA Made a splash by adding a very few high profile players. The owners gambled on the concept that throwing money at a veritable handful of recognizable players would get them the attention they needed to exist and move forward. To suggest that the ABA's acquisition of those few significantly depleted the NBA's wealth of talent is simply untrue and ludicrous.
Alleyhoops

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion