Garnett for Shaq

Postby Reddy on Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:21 pm

The big fella isnt finished, 3 aint enough for shaq AND kobe
they want more......
so the dynasty will live on WHEN shaq and kobe are on da team.... and phil too! take one out of the equation, it will be difficult,
but next year, we gonna see a skinnier healthier and hungrier shaq
a healthy and hungrier Kobe
and a hungry phil to beat red
da dynasty lives on!
GO shaq! Go KObe ! Go PHIl ! Go LAkers!
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Guest on Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:02 pm

you dont need to get rid of shaq damm the helped the lakers get those 3 rings!!!! He just needs to get back into shape!! Maybe if the media keeps taking [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] about him then he will step up and lose the weight, then he can be his old self!! I want the shaq from 1999 - 2001. where he was the MDE!!!!!!

Postby natedawg on Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:16 pm

shaq's oldself?

how old is shaq?

how old is garnett?

need i say more?
natedawg

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:20 am

Shaq is only 32,.. I know he is not older then 32!!! He has 5 more years to play and he is the MDE!!!!
zetaw00d

Postby MIKEDOG on Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:50 pm

Sure he can play another five years, but a what level?? The weight has taken its toll on his knees, he no longer has the lift he once had, that was VERY apparent this year and will continue to get worse. Soon enough he will look like Sabonis on the court!! But the only difference is Sabonis has a jump shot!! and is not making 30mil a year!!! We need to make the trade now while he still has trade value.
MIKEDOG

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:44 pm

He still can play at the top level!!! He did avg .574 FG, 2.37 BLKS, 27.5 PTS., and 11.10 REBS. What level do you call that?!?! If he gets rid of that weight those number are goin to be higher and i dont think he can get bigger!!!! Yea those are bad numbers!?!?!!? hahhha Keep shaq!!! He brought the rings here and he should retire as a lakers!! True Laker fans know this!!!!!
zetaw00d

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:29 pm

ZETAWOOD.... the keyword in your statement is IF Shaq loses the weight. IFhe doesn't lose the weight his knees will get worse, his abdominal problem will reoccur and his back might go out. Your talking about 360 lbs in 82 games lumbering up and down the court. That causes lots of mileage to the body especially at that weight. Can you imagine the stress on his knees supporting 360 lbs every time he lands after he jumps. IFhe doesn't lose the weight you can expect his stats to drop every year. He is already missing more and more games as the years go by.
Heres something that makes you say hmmmm... When SHAQ couldn't make free throws he was averaging 28-30 points a game. If he would have made his free throws back then he could have easily averaged 38 -40 points a game. Currently Shaq is averaging 26-27 points a game and is making most of his free throws. Why it he is still averaging less in points? Shouldn't he get more points since he can make more free throws?
It all comes back to his conditioning. He is just not as dominant as he once was. He is still the most dominant force in the NBA but for how long?
His conditioning and weight will force him to retire earlier than he imagine if he doesn't change his ways.

KOBE OUR REAL MVP
Last edited by #1_Kobe_fan on Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby MIKEDOG on Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:59 am

Zetawood, one question...do you pay Shaq the max to extend his contract so that he can retire a Laker? Answer that 1st and then I will tell you what I think of your answer. And by the way, a true Laker fan does not put a single player before the team. So are you a Shaq fan or a Laker fan. And before you start questioning a persons dedication you should probably know more about them than you read off one post.
MIKEDOG

Postby Guest on Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:52 pm

Mike, first of all i have been a laker fan since the 80's. I have seen it all!! They should extend Shaq's contract to about 16mil a year!! I think he would be happy with that, and if he doesnt then he can go somewhere else!!! Kobe is the future!!! I'm more of a Kobe fan then a Shaq fan!! 1 kobe fan, who could replace shaq????? Shaq will probably retire in 4 years Max!!! Then i would take KG or Ben Wallace!!! And shaq is good for his word!! He has talked the talk but walked the walk!!! If he says he will do it then he will!!!!

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:52 pm

sorry last post was mine!!!
zetaw00d

Postby MIKEDOG on Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:34 pm

ZW, your living in a fantasy world if you think that Shaq is going to take les than 26 mil. a year. He actually wants to max out his contract which would be closer to 30mil a year. I love Shaq on the Lakers always have BUT in his condition and the way he is headed I would not be wiling to break the bank on him. Kobe is going to want more $ and maxing Shaq out would leave us with nothing for any support(role players) if Shaq is talking [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] now, thats all he is going to be talking as the Lakers continue to go out early every post season. This is Kobes team now...and plyers need to be brought in that will help with his style of play. Garnett is a perfect fit for that style, Shaq is not. I say that something must be done soon, because the fatter Shaq gets the less he is worth.
MIKEDOG

Postby zetaw00d on Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:59 pm

MIKEDOG wrote:ZW, your living in a fantasy world if you think that Shaq is going to take les than 26 mil. a year. He actually wants to max out his contract which would be closer to 30mil a year. I love Shaq on the Lakers always have BUT in his condition and the way he is headed I would not be wiling to break the bank on him. Kobe is going to want more $ and maxing Shaq out would leave us with nothing for any support(role players) if Shaq is talking [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] now, thats all he is going to be talking as the Lakers continue to go out early every post season. This is Kobes team now...and plyers need to be brought in that will help with his style of play. Garnett is a perfect fit for that style, Shaq is not. I say that something must be done soon, because the fatter Shaq gets the less he is worth.

Garnett is making more then Shaq now!!! And kobe will be making 20mil soon so if you have two 20+mil players on one team then thats the real fantasy!!! So forget about garnett goin to the Lakers while kobe is around!!!! The season hasnt ended yet? Wait until next year to judge the guy brought 3 rings to the Lakers!!!! Yes,... I would love for the Lakers to be Kobe's team,... but thats all in time he is only 24 years old!! When shaq retires the Lakers will have 24+ mil to spend on free agents to help Kobe!!
zetaw00d

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:24 pm

My theory is and always has been, once Shaq leaves then they will build the team around Kobe.
Danny Ainge

Postby ZenMaster on Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:05 pm

...sup guys...anyone heard if J. Buss is definitely going to give Shaq that contract extension or not?...haven't read much on it lately.
ZenMaster

Postby dmaul on Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:53 pm

I can't believe there are so many Shaq haters out there. Of course no one player is bigger than the entire team or franchise, but surely you must be kidding to propose such an absurd trade. Shaq is certainly worth more than some overrated PF in Garnett. If for some reason Shaq were ever traded, he would be worth at least two or three all-star calibre players.

The moment the Lakers announce that Shaq is on the block I guarantee the phone will be ringing with calls from the other 28 teams. No one would be stupid enough to trade Shaq and no one would also pass up on the opportunity to acquire him no matter what the cost. What does that tell you about the Last Center Left?!
dmaul

Postby dmaul on Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:07 pm

Garnett is overrated! What is the fascination with this guy? Don't let his performance against the Lakers these past playoffs fool you. His great series against LA falls under the category of players who were made to look better than they are by the Laker defense or lack thereof. See Mike Bibby/Troy Hudson.

Do you need to be reminded that Garnett has never led his team out of the first round (in seven tries!), that he continually cowers in the closing minutes of the game and seldom demands the ball from his teammates. Garnett is not a take charge kind of player like Kobe or Shaq. I can assure you that if the roles were reversed, Shaq could lead the Timberwolves out of the first round!

So you are proposing to trade one of the greatest centers of all time, one whose name will be mentionned alongside those of Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, and Russell, for a player who has not accomplished a damn thing in this league. No titles, no MVP awards, no nothing but above average numbers across the board. Garnett is not even the best PF in the league, let alone a player comparable to Shaq's worth.
dmaul

Postby dmaul on Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:16 pm

There is no doubt that the evolution of the Lakers should mean that the team eventually get rebuilt around Kobe, because Kobe is destined for greatness. This is like Kareem handing the baton to Magic. When or if this happens remains to be seen, but Shaq still has a lot of game left in him.

I will not disagree with the points brought up about Shaq's health, offseason committment, and future prognosis. They are indeed valid. I simply disagree with the notion that Kevin Garnett is even remotely worth what Shaq is worth. I will bet you that every single GM in this league would agree that Shaq is the type of player that becomes the hub of your franchise, the type of player that you build everything around. A guy like Shaq brings you championships and puts an historical imprint on the game! The same cannot be said about Garnett.
dmaul

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:56 am

...not to interrupt guys, but let me ask again...does ANYONE know if Mr. Buss is definitely giving Shaq a contract extension or not. I was just curious b/c I have not heard much on it lately. I am not saying "trade him" or anything like that, was just curious, that's ALL.

Does anybody know?
ZenMaster

Postby MIKEDOG on Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:51 am

DMaul, forgive me for saying, but maybe if your head was not up Shaqs [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] you would be able to see that Shaq is not the player he used to be. Your a moron if you think that KG is overrated, this guy is a legitimate MVP candidate. He has not taken that team out of the 1st round because of the lack of talent around him. If you take the time and analyze the stats along with everything else you would be a idiot not to persue a trade involving Garnett for Shaq. I am looking forward into the future of this team while you are stuck in the past. Could you imagine KG and Kobe on the same team. Those two are playing balls out every night, they want to win everygame, they have that fire inside of them that makes them want to be the best they can be. And Shaq on the other hand is lazy, fat, outa shape, etc.

I figured that I would also give you a head to head comparison on KG and Shaq.

Shaq Garnett
PPG-27 PPG-23
R-11 R-13
A-3 A-6
S-.57 S-1.3
FG%-.574 FG%.502
FT%.622 FT%.751
3PT%-0 3pt%-.282
MPG-37.8 MPG-40.5

On paper Garnett is arguably a better player. And what the stats dont show is the intangables that cannot be measured by stats. Hustle, work ethic, determination, hunger etc. And these intangables are what make this a good trade for the Lakers of the future, KOBES team needs a player like Garnett not a overweight, crybaby like Shaq. And even though Garnett is currently making more than Shaq, I am certain that he would take a small cut to get on a championship team. On the otherhand Shaq has won the rings and all that is driving him now is the almighty dollar, he wants 30mil a year In my opinion that is too much to pay for Shaq in his condition.
MIKEDOG

Postby zetaw00d on Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:18 pm

does anyone remember who won the Lakers wolves series??? Thats what i though!!! KG is good but Shaq has not past his prime yet!!!! Plus, you can say all you want about KG goin to the Lakers, its not goin to happen until Shaq retires!! KG for Shaq trade is not goin to happen. At least for another 2 years!!
zetaw00d

Postby BDG on Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:39 pm

Garnett's overrated? What are you talking about?
does anyone remember who won the Lakers wolves series???

Yeah, everyone does, but we're talking INDIVIDUALLY about Garnett. He has absolutely no supporting cast over there in Minnesota except for Troy Hudson. Although I don't think we should trade Garnett for Shaq, Garnett isn't overrated. He was a legit MVP candidate this year and I think if he had better teammates, his numbers would be up.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby zetaw00d on Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:17 am

[/quote]
but we're talking INDIVIDUALLY about Garnett..[/quote]

I remember Garnett choking a couple of times!!! But yea i do believe that Garnett was up there with the other MVPs. As we all know why duncan won it!!! I still wouldnt Trade shaq for KG!!! Maybe in 2-3 years!!! But not now!!!!
zetaw00d

Re: Garnett for Shaq

Postby *KOBESTAR* on Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:21 pm

SHaq
ucsb2004 wrote:Who out there would make this trade. As a Laker fan there is no question I would definatly pull the trigger. I could just imagine Kobe and KG dominating the league for the next 10 years. Shaq only has a couple good ones left and by sneding him to minnesota we wouldnt have to worry about payback. Just a thought.

:man7: Think about it? K8 & Garnett :jam2: Shaq ig getting Old & thinking about the next 10 years aint a bad Idea & imagine how Garnett will play wach night with good players around Him? :man11: hmmm.But none of that if the Wolves get Shaq they're Championship Contenders If We get Garnett We'll have to face Shaq in the West & that's scary. I say wait till Shaq retires then get Kevin. :jam2:
*KOBESTAR*

Postby kingjsun on Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:50 am

Interesting I must say, but lets not count shaq out yet. After all, he did hire a personal trainer (Ex-Marine) to get him back in shape. So KB and KG may have to wait till the All Star Game, which by the way is where... thought you knew! Anyway, let me throw this at ya'll: Sign Shawn Kemp (free agent) on conditions he work out with Shaq's trainer. Then the front line would consist Shaq, Kemp, and Horry/George. :man7:
kingjsun

Postby SWOL on Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:19 pm

STOP ALREADY THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN I REPEAT THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IT IS NOT WORTH DISCUSSING WE WILL NOT TRADE SHAQ PERIOD....IF WERE GONNA TALK NONSENSE LETS TALK ABOUT WITCH HOLLYWOOD CELEB. WE WANNA BANG....I LIKE SOFIA VERGARA
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion