Gary Vitti - did he try to get Kobe pulled?

Re: Gary Vitti - did he try to get Kobe pulled?

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:27 pm

I"m freaked out that some of you are buying into the obvious damage control the FO is trying to sell us.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:I"m freaked out that some of you are buying into the obvious damage control the FO is trying to sell us.

This!

(Vash - im just gonna follow you around on this. Too lazy to post insight.)
borri

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:I"m freaked out that some of you are buying into the obvious damage control the FO is trying to sell us.

freak accidents remove culpability from everyone though. can achilles ruptures be freak accidents? hell yes, of course. does this mean all achilles ruptures are freak accidents? no. sorry, but there were likely blatant contributing factors of the wear-and-tear variety despite what anyone may say.

really though, it's all moot and we're all just grasping for some sort of logical and intellectual explanation as to why these horrible things have been happening to our team.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:50 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:

freak accidents remove culpability from everyone though. can achilles ruptures be freak accidents? hell yes, of course. does this mean all achilles ruptures are freak accidents? no. sorry, but there were likely blatant contributing factors of the wear-and-tear variety despite what anyone may say.

really though, it's all moot and we're all just grasping for some sort of logical and intellectual explanation as to why these horrible things have been happening to our team.

I remember after Rose tore his ACL, people were commenting on how it was probable that he was overcompensating due to other injuries he had (ankle and hamstring i think.) Just 2 weeks ago when Nash when out, Doctor Klapper was on 710 ESPN and said that injuries without contact hardly ever "just happen." He said a lot of times when athletes have other injuries, the body compensates by relying on other parts, since everything in the body is connected.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Weezy wrote:As mad as I was about him being sent back out after the 2nd injury, this seemingly was gonna happen no matter what, from being played too much all season, not just the past few games. So if it didn't happen last night who's to say it doesn't against SA or Houston or in the playoffs.

And Kobe was attacking in the air this year like he hasn't in years. The contact and crazy landing angles he was absorbing was scary to watch for me some of the time. He was being a beast in the key area. Jams, high flying rebounds, high flying finesse and high flying deliberately absorb the contact shots. Why I say he was spilling his guts every night. It was jaw dropping to watch knowing how many minutes in his career and through how many injuries he continued to do it. And same as always continue to excel, freaking excel when injured. This year included.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 15m
For clarification, Gary Vitti cleared Kobe Bryant to continue after his first two injuries/tweaks before the big one. D'Antoni defers to GV

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 7m
I think it's safe to say that no Lakers coach has ever been able to play a player over Gary Vitti's recommendation re: health
GoldHammish

Postby kenzo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:55 pm

^ well, that settles that.
kenzo

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:07 pm

I know this has been posted already in the Kobe Thread but I liked this interview with Father Vitti a lot from practice today:

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby RushDelivery on Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:21 pm

GoldHammish wrote:
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 15m
For clarification, Gary Vitti cleared Kobe Bryant to continue after his first two injuries/tweaks before the big one. D'Antoni defers to GV

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 7m
I think it's safe to say that no Lakers coach has ever been able to play a player over Gary Vitti's recommendation re: health

This doesn't mean Vitti wasn't concerned about Kobe, which he obviously was during the game. Vitti's concern and Kobe's apparent discomfort were more than enough to warrant at the bare minimum a quick sideline evaluation. That may not have prevented the big injury of course, but at the very least it would show MDA was concerned for Kobe's health.

MDA's lack of concern for Kobe's overall health and his refusal to pace him according overall and in this game are likely significant factors to why Kobe's achilles gave out when it did.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat
RushDelivery

Postby Scnottaken on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Hm, I don't remember. Did he get any sort of MRI or CAT scan on his foot when he sprained it?
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Scnottaken wrote:Hm, I don't remember. Did he get any sort of MRI or CAT scan on his foot when he sprained it?

off the top of my head, they probably just got routine plain films (x-rays) when he sprained his ankle to rule out any fracture. that type of imaging wouldn't show any soft-tissue (tendons, muscles etc) injuries.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Scnottaken on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:23 am

lakersyunowin wrote:
Scnottaken wrote:Hm, I don't remember. Did he get any sort of MRI or CAT scan on his foot when he sprained it?

off the top of my head, they probably just got routine plain films (x-rays) when he sprained his ankle to rule out any fracture. that type of imaging wouldn't show any soft-tissue (tendons, muscles etc) injuries.

Do they usually do some sort of ligament scan after a severe sprain such as that one? I know it's basically a moot point at this time, but my curiousity is getting the best of me.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby trodgers on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:11 am

The one he played through in Indy? Rotoworld reported that there was an MRI but the results weren't released. He also had an x-ray. Or at least I think that's what they're saying:

A Lakers source said Kobe Bryant's (severe left ankle sprain) chances of playing in the next game or two are "not good."
There haven't been any results of an MRI on Kobe's ankle and the team has been tight-lipped on the subject. He's voiced his opinion on needing to play now since the Lakers on in the thick of a playoff race, so we're not completely ready to rule him out for Friday's game against the Pacers. Although, the Black Mamba is not expected to play and the Lakers will likely call upon Jodie Meeks, Antawn Jamison and Earl Clark to step up with their key players.

Kobe Bryant rolled his left ankle on the last offensive possession of the game and X-rays were negative.
He took a fade-away jumper and landed on Dahntay Jone's foot. Kobe did walk to the bench under his own power and in true Kobe fashion, he was sitting on the scorers' table and arguing with the ref about a missed foul call on the play. Interestingly, Mike D'Antoni said in the post-game that Bryant was kicked in the shin and it wasn't a sprain, which pretty much sums up how much stock should go into the things D'Antoni says. He's one of the biggest warriors in the history of the NBA, but we'll have to wait and see on his status for Friday. He finished with 31 points, seven boards, five assists, two steals and two 3-pointers on 11-of-33 shooting in a losing effort.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion