Get JERRY SLOAN Discussion

Re: Get a new Head Coach Discussion

Postby Weezy on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:27 am

CarFlagChris wrote:Rudy T was fired after 41 games, but the season already was lost.
We should not make this mistake again.
Fire him now.

I don't think he was actually fired, he resigned if I remember right, health issues, stress. I believe we were on pace to make the playoffs when he resigned too, it just fell apart for many reasons after that. We weren't gong to win anything of note that season, but I don't think it was Rudy T, it was the roster, ancient Brian Grant, ancient and injured Vlade Divac, bad PG's.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am

Yep. We were 6,7, or 8th seed when Rudy stepped down. Basically the same as Phil when he took over. His Rudy Three style wasn't easy to watch, but it's not like he had the personnel to run a half-court offense anyway, especially with Vlade out.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 am

lets do this before its too late...
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby retro_nights on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:33 am

its NOT happening this year, not sense wasting time hoping for it to happen when the earliest it could possibly happen is April.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Kit on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 am

Jim and Mitch have to think hard because we do want to keep Dwight around.
Kit

Postby lakersfever on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

I think even if we got Lebron James to replace Metta on this team, we'd still lose....lol. Not enough superstars...we need more!! This coach is pathetic.
lakersfever

Postby Center Court on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:20 pm

lakersfever wrote:I think even if we got Lebron James to replace Metta on this team, we'd still lose....lol. Not enough superstars...we need more!! This coach is pathetic.

impossible... a 13 year old could coach that team to 72-10.

The one thing we can''t really point fingers to is a talent issue but IMHO Ron is one of the talent pitfalls of the team. While I love his D and the fact that he came into camp in great shape which helps his O, he is just a horrible fit. Inconsistent shooter, relies way too much on posting up, and has zero understanding of how to give the ball to Nash instead of sprinting up the floor unnecessarily. Dorrell Wright would be the perfect starter.

Still, it comes to down to Brown and simply limiting this whole Princeton idea and going more towards Nash centric offense
Center Court

Postby gill on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Ron is a black hole on this team. Ball stops and just disappears from everyone else whenever he gets a hold of it.
gill

Postby XXIV on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:35 pm

gill wrote:Ron is a black hole on this team. Ball stops and just disappears from everyone else whenever he gets a hold of it.

He really does need to play more off ball. At times he thinks he's the point guard and tries to drive in which 99% causes a turnover. The man needs to be a spot up shooter/post up player.
XXIV

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:37 pm

I honestly don't think Phil will come back, not that he wouldn't be great but Nash in the Triangle? Wouldn't that limit him tremendously?

Sloan, I could probably see that happening

After that, I don't know who else would be left? Shaw, maybe?
The Laker Link

Postby XXIV on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

I'd love for JVG to come out of retirement and coach this team, but he appears pretty content with his role on ESPN and plus Dwight got his brother fired.
XXIV

Postby 432J on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm

when phil retired it should have been adelman they hired instead of clown

i would rejoice if they hired sloan but i just dont see it happening. if they lose in the 1st or 2nd round this season then i think it's inevitable that the clown gets the plug pulled on him
432J

Postby kenzo on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:44 pm

XXIV wrote:I'd love for JVG to come out of retirement and coach this team, but he appears pretty content with his role on ESPN and plus Dwight got his brother fired.

I have no doubt, that JVG would jump on the oportunity to coach again if given a chance.
kenzo

Postby easyguy on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 pm

XXIV wrote:I'd love for JVG to come out of retirement and coach this team, but he appears pretty content with his role on ESPN and plus Dwight got his brother fired.

I dont think ESPN are paying him more than what we can offer him. But I prefer Sloan. I would like Adelman, or Phil but both are just dreams.
easyguy

Postby SK8 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Brown, who is currently in Cleveland, will sign the contract later this week. According to league sources, the deal will be for four years and $18.25 million.

:man4: :man4: I didn't know this :man3:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby GinoDB on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:49 pm

get Mike D'Antoni

hed basically let Nash and Kobe do what they want, and I think thats all we need

we got too much talent to worry about offenses and figuring things out and all that crap
GinoDB

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 pm

That might not be such a bad idea. Pringles is certainly intelligent, and he knows when to stay out of their way, and when to call the TO. He also stays with his rotations once he figures out what he likes.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Whatthef? on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:59 pm

GinoDB wrote:get Mike D'Antoni

hed basically let Nash and Kobe do what they want, and I think thats all we need

we got too much talent to worry about offenses and figuring things out and all that crap

Big +1. D'Antoni coached Kobe with the Olympic team and Nash with success. He is available.
Magic got Paul Westhead dumped after 11 games in 1981/82 season and Westhead was 7-4 at the time. Jimmy's dad was ok with that, now how about getting Brown out before it's too late. :man2:
Whatthef?

Postby 432J on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Whatthef? wrote:
GinoDB wrote:get Mike D'Antoni

Big +1. D'Antoni coached Kobe with the Olympic team and Nash with success. He is available.
Magic got Paul Westhead dumped after 11 games in 1981/82 season and Westhead was 7-4 at the time. Jimmy's dad was ok with that, now how about getting Brown out before it's too late. :man2:

i wouldn't mind pringles

plus didn't kobe say he was one of his favorite players growing up in italy?
432J

Postby gcclaker on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:03 pm

...if not D'Antoni, why not let Eddie Jordan take over and have Bickerstaff oversee the defense? Person and Ham will do the player shooting tweaks and pre-game preps respectively.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:18 pm

gcclaker wrote:...if not D'Antoni, why not let Eddie Jordan take over and have Bickerstaff oversee the defense? Person and Ham will do the player shooting tweaks and pre-game preps respectively.

This is the only reasonable expectation if Brown is fired. They're not going to go out and get someone else who's going to implement a new offense again.

They'd just keep it in house and allow the coaches to do the little things right that Brown doesn't do. Rotations, in game adjustments , etc.

The system isn't the problem. The problem is in the details.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:24 pm

its so bad that we're asking for pringles...damn
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gcclaker on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:its so bad that we're asking for pringles...damn

Not exactly a good choice considering his system needs fast players who can run and switch ends in seven seconds or less qualities...none of which this squad has. The ONLY saving grace is Nash being familiar with him. Bryant already conceded that they are old as a group to have to run back on defense after turnovers and that they can't be careless with the ball.

I would still take Jordan who could and will tweak his system to tailor it to this group's talents instead of figuring out WHO should play like Brown does. Bickerstaff is very good with defensive schemes from his Seattle years. Person is too in that regard whereupon Jackson allowed him some leeway in place of Rambis who departed for Minny.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:37 pm

^ gcc is killing this thread.

We don't need Sloan. We don't need Jackson. We don't need _____.

We have the coaching pieces here in our own staff.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Honestly do we really want to replace a coach that gets.constantly ridiculed for being associated with a potato with a coach associated with a potato chip?

We need a coach that will be respected, not a made a mockery of
JoelMyersScrotalSack

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion