Get to know Javaris

Get to know Javaris

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:53 am

Wikipedia: Crittenton was born to Sonya Dixon in Atlanta, Georgia. one younger sister, Shaniya Lee. Crittenton grew up in a single-parent household and was raised by his mother.As a child, Crittenton played basketball obsessively; he practiced on a children's basketball hoop he got for Christmas when he was five years old every day until it finally broke. In later years his mother stated that she often had a hard time getting him to stop playing and practicing basketball. Despite this obsession Crittenton was a good student as a child.

Crittenton attended Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy, where as a high school sophomore he played alongside Dwight Howard. Crittenton and Howard led Southwest Atlanta to the GHSA class A state championship that season. Howard would later go on to be the first overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft after turning professional directly out of high school. As a junior Crittenton averaged 28.4 points, 7.5 assists, and 8.2 rebounds. He led Southwest Atlanta to the GHSA class A state final again where they lost, finishing the season as the runner-up. As a senior Crittenton averaged 29 points, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds and led Southwest Atlanta to the GHSA class A state championship. Following the season he was named a McDonald's All American.He was also named Mr. Georgia Basketball. Crittenton was an exceptional student in high school who had a 3.5 GPA and was a member of the Future Business Leaders of America and the Senior Beta Club. After being courted by several colleges Crittenton ultimately chose local Georgia Tech, in part to allow his mother and little sister to be able to attend his games.

College

While at Georgia Tech, Crittenton has excelled and is considered a team leader, a rare honor for a freshman. Tech coach Paul Hewitt urged Crittenton to take over a leadership role on the team after his play in several games in February 2007. He recorded a career high of 29 points in a February 13, 2007 game against Florida State

Scouting Reports
-NBA Draft.net
-Draft Express
-CBS Sportsline
-Hoops Vibe

ESPN Insider
Chad Ford's Analysis: Crittenton is a good fit in L.A. He's a big, physical point guard who can shoot the ball. Phil Jackson likes players like Crittenton. The problem is that he's a few years away from being a major contributor. I'm sure Kobe is thrilled.

Draft Projection: Lottery to mid first round

Crittenton declared for the NBA Draft on April 25th. Crittenton announced on May 24th that he will hire an agent, ending his college eligibility. Former teammate of Dwight Howard.

Positives: Has great size and athleticism for the position. Very competitive. Sees the floor well. Excellent first step allows him to get deep penetration into the paint. Great hands. Rarely mishandles the ball. Vocal leader on the court. Unselfish. Good defender. Doesn't have the rep as a great shooter, but has shot the ball well, especially from deep, for Georgia Tech this year.

Negatives: Decision making needs to be improved. He's been very turnover prone. Needs to add strength. Gets bothered by small, quick guards who pressure him.

Summary: Most big point guards are really two guards with some ballhandling skills. Not Crittenton. He's a legit point guard who has ended the season in a very impressive fashion. Scouts have cooled in their love affair with big point guards, but Crittenton may just rekindle the romance.

Woodson's opinion
Atlanta Journal Constitution: "Great body, great size for a point guard. He kind of [has] a Chauncey Billups body," the coach said in using the Pistons' guard for comparison. "He doesn't have the Chauncey Billups game yet, but he's very competitive."

Crittenton, whose greatest struggle at Tech was controlling emotions, said, "I'll accept my role from whatever team I go to. I'll do whatever they need. "

Some of his quotes while at GT:
On making big plays at the end -- "I just never gave up. No matter how I'm playing as an individual, I want the team to win. I just never gave up, I wanted me team to win and was going to do whatever it took for that to happen."

On the Clemson game giving him a boost -- "I'm a very confident person at all times. I came into this game tonight with the mindset of winning. If I would've had two points tonight, as long as we win, I don't care. I mean I want to play well individually, but all that matters is the team winning. This is an ACC game, as long as we win, I'm happy."

On this being his team -- "Not to sound cocky, but as a point guard, it has to be your team. I'm the floor leader, the coach on the floor, so I feel like it's my team."

He's a student of the game
Javaris Crittenton.org: It was after midnight Thursday, and Georgia Tech freshman Javaris Crittenton was still up, studying.

Not math or English, but a video of New Jersey Nets guard Jason Kidd. Some people collect coins, baseball cards or replica jerseys of famous athletes. Crittenton collects videos of basketball stars to improve his game.

The Tech point guard spends about four extra hours a week watching tapes of current or former NBA players such as Kidd, Steve Nash, Stephon Marbury and Magic Johnson. He also has a DVD of Michael Jordan.

"You can learn a lot, pick up something from each one," said Crittenton.

Crittenton, recruited early and hard by Tech coach Paul Hewitt, realized life could have turned out different for a kid who grew up in an Atlanta project where crime and trouble lurked.

As a teenager he found refuge and gained a strong faith at Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy. While at Southwest, Crittenton was a solid student who developed into the nation's top-ranked point guard prospect. At Tech, he's majoring in business management and will try to keep taking care of business on the court, where he wants to improve his "decision-making."

He's friends with Seattle's newest star
Javaris Crittenton.org: Both Texas and Georgia Tech bowed out of the NCAA tournament long before the Final Four. That hasn't stopped the teams' star players from working on their games - whether it's for the NBA or another season of college basketball.

Yellow Jackets freshman point guard Javaris Crittenton and Texas All-American Kevin Durant spent part of Friday on the court together.

"I went over to Georgia Tech to shoot around with Javaris," Kevin Durant said. "We know each other real well from the AAU circuit."

Interview from a workout with the Suns
Suns.com

Suns.com: Is there a lot of pressure involved with these workouts and knowing how much is riding on your performance?

Crittenton: I don’t look at it as pressure, I just come in here, play my game, show them what I have and try to be me.
Suns.com: You’re known for spending a lot of time viewing tapes of other point guards. How much tape have you watched of Steve Nash these past few seasons?

Crittenton: I watch a lot of Steve, him and Jason Kidd more than anybody else.

Suns.com: Any reason why the former Sun and current Sun stand out among the rest?

Crittenton: They make the right decisions coming down the court and do a great job of controlling the tempo throughout a game.

Suns.com: You played your freshmen season at Georgia Tech where another former Suns point guard Stephon Marbury played. How much have you watched him over the years and how are your games similar?

Crittenton: I loved Stephon. When I was back in tenth grade, he was one of my favorite players. He’s big, I’m bigger than him obviously, but we can both handle the ball, get to the hole and we’re both athletic. There are a lot of similarities.

Suns.com: How about differences?

Crittenton: The only knock Stephon has had on him is people saying he’s not known for winning. I want to make sure that isn’t the case with me. I know it’s tough to win games in this league, but that’s what I want to do.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 am

I like the 3.5GPA. At least I know he won't be a headache.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby revgen on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:14 am

Nice work JSM.

I'm starting to like this kid. However, he's still not exactly ready to contribute yet.

And I'm not sure what kind of Triangle he ran in high school. I doubt it's anything like what the Lakers run. I heard that few institutions run the full triangle menu like the Lakers do.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:16 am

I've watched him play some here at GT, but I wasn't all that familiar with his background. From what I've read in what I posted in the post I made, I like what I'm reading about him.

-Smart
-Family oriented
-Vocal on the court (weren't all of us begging for some on court communication all season?)
-Very competitive (Kobe will respect that)
-Plays D (he's already the anti-Smush)
-His quote about not giving up, wanting the W (spells more kudos points from #24)
-Knows his role as a PG (Smush would stare at the bench, practically pleading for direction)
-Watches 4 hours a week of NBA PGs (that's already more off the court work than 3/4 of Kobe's teammates put in)
-He's a Magic Johnson fan (has to earn some kudos points from Laker fans)
-Very coachable (meaning the coaching staff can mold him)
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:17 am

I like the kid, hope he stays.....unless he is traded for KG but I'll trade Farmar before him
ehehehehe
TaniBoyz

Postby The Maverick on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:19 am

I can't wait to see this guy put on the purple and gold. It's great that he has 4 years experience with the triangle.

I love this pick.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby Mark McNamara on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:19 am

TaniBoyz wrote:I like the kid, hope he stays.....unless he is traded for KG but I'll trade Farmar before him
ehehehehe

Ya, Farmar's gonna be in the package for KG now for sure.

LO/Bynum/Kwame/Farmar for KG
Mark McNamara

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:22 am

Now can someone make me a Crittenton sig
TaniBoyz

Postby PhifeDogg76 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:23 am

not saying its not good from what ive read but, i hope his work ethic gets only better, looks like a good pick do far

new draft new year
PhifeDogg76

Postby PhifeDogg76 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:25 am

TaniBoyz wrote:Now can someone make me a Crittenton sig

i dont know if someone can do that right now, he doesnt have too many action shots in a laker jersey yet pare' LOL

new draft new year
PhifeDogg76

Postby Abnormal on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:28 am

great post thanks for the good read :jam2:
I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game’s winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed ... MJ#23

www.Bestqualityinsurance.com

Bynum/Mihm/DJ
Pau/Ronnie/Vlad
Lo/Ariza/luke
Kobe/Karl
Sasha/Fisher/Farmar
Abnormal

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 am

PhifeDogg76 wrote:
TaniBoyz wrote:Now can someone make me a Crittenton sig

i dont know if someone can do that right now, he doesnt have too many action shots in a laker jersey yet pare' LOL

Oo nga eh......Hope he stays, I am becoming a fan of him.
TaniBoyz

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:44 am

Abnormal wrote:great post thanks for the good read :jam2:
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:25 am

Great job JSM, when I saw that Lakers drafted Javaris, I loved pick, cuz I 't expected him in early teens... After reading his bio, I like him even more! :jam2:

Plus Crittenton in HS run triangle and played with Dwight.

I like also Jordan Farmar, I'd love to keep them both, but it doesn't look too real.
Next season Farmar could be our starting PG and he could play ~28 minutes, so Javaris could get 15-20 minutes per game.

I didn't know that he has got his own website: http://www.javariscrittenton.org/

Here's some videos with Javaris:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JB5OTh3V4ok
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RuO-JnxbiPk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2yZ3KEHcwo (Javaris part starts at 1:24)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lx2bVx9C16I
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UTe2IQrwtjY
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby escobar8 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:35 am

i like him very much i hope that he will stay whit the lakers...
escobar8

Postby Michael Wright on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:55 am

To be honest, I've never watched him playing but I think an 19 years old with size, athleticism, quick first step, unselfish mind, great hands, decent shooting and good defense seems like a very good potential. Decision making and better shooting are not hard to gain for a young player.
Michael Wright

Postby d.carter4kobe on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:18 am

Its not an outstanding pick but it is solid

What is his new nick name??

Its JC for me
d.carter4kobe

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:20 am

Javaris "The Critter Dude" Crittenton

or just Critter
TaniBoyz

Postby lunatic4jc on Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:06 am

he looks like he's got swagger.. looks like he wants to go out on the court to prove himself.. unlike most of the players on our roster
lunatic4jc

Postby paladizzle on Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 pm

I honestly loved thiske pick, though i would hate to part with Farmar i think i would keep Crittenton instead of Farmar because of he obviously has higher potential.
paladizzle

Postby Lakowabysm on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:25 pm

i think its good to have two point guards, once farmar is out you have another playmaker off the bench. i know we wont be able to keep both in the next couple of years, but for now its a good thing.
Lakowabysm

Postby magicmoment on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 pm

hmm.. i hope we like this pick. :mhihi:
his reviews sound good. so, he might be so bad.
"Fix your hair Sasha. Gotta look pretty now" - Stu Lantz
"Lakers play for Championships" ~Lamar Odom
"I just missed some bunnies." ~Kobe on Game1 [NBA Finals]

Estamos Aquí!

add my fansite:
http://www.myspace.com/sashavujacic18
magicmoment

Postby KB24 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 pm

why is everyone complaining we picked a PG? since when is it not allowed to have 2 PGs on the roster? actually we need another PG to even have a solid rotation. Sure both are young and inexperienced but its not like there are 15 NBA starting PGs waiting to get picked by the Lakers for the little trade baits we have.

Farmar and Crittenton are young athletic and dynamic guards with different skillsets and its all good. They might not be stars in this league but they have enaugh potential to be NBA starters in a year or 2 and they are both hard workers.

After letting Smush and McKie go we HAD TO add some guards. Maybe we even trade Sasha or so and we can play Crittenton at both guard spots. We know Evans doesn´t have the skills, he is a SF so we need such explosive athletic backup guard. Nowadays most teams have a combo-guard ala Bell, Wade, McCants, Foye, Barbosa, Gino, Hughes, Ben Gordon, Billups (now Stuckey as well), Iverson and all these teams....most teams have players that are neither a true point but also not a true SG because they lack the size.

People that complain about Javaris...please name me one player who we could get that is better than him?

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:33 pm

He actually sounds really good and legitamite...I'm kind of hoping we keep him now!!!!!!! Yeah he's a project but it we can use him right like we did Farmar and everything....maybe he'll be good from the start and just develope as time goes on....which would be better for us to do and everything.............

Keep him, try and get Magloire, Papa (who I like to call Greece Lightning), and maybe Francis or Blake or Grant Hill, then try and get KG or Pau or JO and Camby if you can. Artest might be a good pick-up but if we can work it out to keep Odom somehow then it won't be that big of a deal to get Artest and even keeping Luke wouldn't be horrible and everything......

I hope Mitch or Buss or Jim or whoever is in charge does the right and smart stuff and doesn't let the off-season go by but doesn't trade away or sign away everything and then we get screwed over for it..............................
The Laker Link

Postby hi_ma on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:31 pm

Great thread. thanks for doing everyones homework
just want a better team. With or W/out bean
hi_ma

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion