Get over the youth fascination

Get over the youth fascination

Postby crucifido on Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:58 pm

It's getting ridiculous that most fans think just because you get a hot young prospect out of the draft it will make the Lakers better.

Call me crazy or did the Lakers recently win 3 championships in a row using primarily veteran talent? And didn't the Bulls win 6 by employing the same theory on player personnel? The Rockets of 95-97, the Spurs of this past season both didn't rely heavily (or even slightly) on younger players or rookies to win their titles.

I undserstand that the Lakers do have to get younger in some respects but too many Lakers fans nowadays are falling for every tiny speck of hype about any high school or college kid coming into the league. It's nice to have fresh blood for the future. But the fault of many teams (The Warriors, Clippers, Raptors, Hawks to name a few) seems to be that they're chronically building for the future and never for the present. Me personally, I would rather win several championships now and bring along young talent every once in a while instead of getting too young too fast and waiting another 11 years before the next run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the Lakers picking up a young guy here and there but trading away proven veteran players from a proven winning team for an unknown and unproven player seems like nonsense. Sure if the Lakers were to pick #1 or even in the top ten somewhere it would make a difference, but that won't happen any time soon. The Lakers (as long as they make the playoffs which I think we all want them to constantly do) will always get lower picks.

There is not one entirely young team in the NBA nowadays or ever that has won the whole thing without relying on predominantly veteran talent. I'm not talking 37-40 year olds all over the team, I just mean to say don't be so caught up in the next big thing of the future when you're watching the big thing of the present.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Return to Lakers Discussion