God I hate ESPN: Kobe unhappy Lakers won? (123)

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby borri on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 pm

If Kobe had the same game stat wise: BSPN would say:

"Kobe scored 34 pts to help the Lakers win at Portland...while taking 30 shots."

Can't say I've heard that phrase...while taking X shots....before...LOL. Stupid BSPN. It's sickening.
borri

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 pm

It's not just ESPN sadly, I clicked on this link on Fox Sports.com thinking it was an article about the Lakers, as it's entitled 'Lakers ought to win title', but when I did the headline actually reads 'Despite loss in LA, LeBron deserves to win MVP'.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9106 ... to-win-MVP" rel="nofollow

Pretty sad that you have to have articles saying 'well yeah Kobe locked up LeBron and the Lakers won the game, but James is still MVP'. It's the halfway point of the season and writers already say give the award to LeBron right now, it's a joke, they've been WANTING to give it to him since he came in, Kobe had to kill to get his.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Why do you guys want validation from ESPN so bad. We all know what the real is. Who cares what they think.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:36 pm

worldjunction wrote:Of course the headline on the NBA page on ESPN is that, and I'm paraphrasing, "Kobe's supporting cast propels him past the Cavs". Sheez.... Typical ESPN.

And dumbass Adande, when comparing Kobe and Lebron, mentions how Kobe went 3-12 in the 4th against Orlando (justifying why he can't put Kobe as better than Lebron) and conveniently forgets the 4 previous games where Kobe hit huge clutch shots down the stretch.

No matter what Kobe does, they will find a way to emphasize Lebron. Just like TNT tonight where every aside was about James this and James that. James is great. He is amazing, but the media is constantly massaging his nuts and figuring a way to de-emphasize Kobe.

Example... everytime on TNT tonight where they mentioned Lebron's shooting tonight... everytime they emphasized that Kobe got a lot of help. Last year when Lebron shut down Kobe at the end of the game (when they were box and oneing Kobe) it was "Lebron shuts down Kobe" everywhere. If Lebron had dislocated his finger and the Cavs had won, it would have been "Lebron fights through dislocated finger to beat Kobe and the Lakers".

The bias is so damn terrible. I'm sick of it.

Typical east coast bias. It's so sad that they have to continue dissing the player who is the greatest shooting guard of all time in my opinion. They're always trying to overhype Lebron. Everyone sees this now. Unfortunate. I understand that Lebron never had Kobe's legal troubles and he's easier to market than Kobe is to many fans, but come on please! Lebron isn't close to being in Kobe's league yet. Maybe one day he will be, but ESPN seriously is losing their reputation with Lakers fans making these fake pronouncements.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby DarthRekal on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Juronimo wrote:Why do you guys want validation from ESPN so bad. We all know what the real is. Who cares what they think.

itsnot validation..

its equality.. fairness.. unbiased article to read in themorning..

think about it.. if there is an article on ANY other site or newspaper than an LA centric one praising the Lakers it's like gold...

we get amazed awed .. it gets posted and we take a collective breath of "FINALLY"

we just want some dues some props... every once in a while and an unskewed view we CHOOSE BSPN to outlet this frustration.. cause they CLAIM to be WORLDWIDE and they ARE THE BIGGEST sports outlet there is and THEY set the standard...

and look at weezy's post... BSPN causes the littler sports outlets to be biased as well...

sure it'snice to be hated.. but it's even NICE to be RESPECTED
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:43 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:when the lakers win the title this year against the cavs the headline on BSPN is gonna be "LeBron Fails to Reach Pinnacle, Will Return Stronger Next Year."

Yes, that's what we need. I'm routing for the Cavs to against us in the Finals. After Lebron and the Cavs get smashed in the Finals, all this nonsense about him being better than Kobe will end IMO. When Kobe is healthy he will light Lebron up for 50 so that the world can learn to appreciate the GOAT=Kobe. After seeing the Lakers play the Cavs last week, I think we can sweep them if Bynum outplays Ilgauskas. Kobe and Ariza are more than enough to contain James to 20 something points. James jacks up so many shots that you can't totally stop him, but once you take away the paint and contest all shots it's not very difficult to beat them.
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby sepu on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:50 pm

Kobe himself can contain lbj ....
sepu

Postby JoeHeff on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:17 pm

knm131 wrote:
JoeHeff wrote:I was just coming to check to see if anyone posted about today's Dime by Hollinger, looks like that's a yes! Just wanted to chime in that I couldn't read past the first 2 sentences.
PORTLAND -- LeBron James had no high-flying dunks, no highlight-film finishes and no crowd-pleasing rejections.

What he did have was 34 points and 14 assists in Cleveland's 104-98 win over the Trail Blazers, and for that reason the rest of the league should be very, very afraid.

We should be very very afraid, huh? Did he forget that we force him to take jumpshots and dish the ball, and it paid off in an 18-point blowout just a few days ago???

I do like Hollinger for his rankings and such... even though a lot of people disagree with the way he values certain stats (particularly his individual stats), I respect him for his team rankings and how they are totally unbiased and treat every team the same. But whenever I read one of his articles lately, I just have to shake my head.

I don't get this.

When Kobe has an off night/game, and the next night he has a good one, are you honestly upset when ESPN would write something positive about Kobe because they "forgot" the prior team forced him to take bad jumpers all game?

No, and I'm not really upset right now, just didn't care to read the rest of the article. Just smiling and shaking my head at Hollinger. So Portland closed the lane on him, and he managed to make a few jumpers... But really, 7-17? That warrants a statement like "be very, very afraid, all you other teams... Lebron is going to own you with his insane accuracy if you clog the paint and make him shoot jumpers!". Furthermore, I'm pointing out that we pretty much did the same thing, tried to make him either A) shoot jumpers, or B) pass the ball and make his teammates beat us. It worked like a charm for us and we blew 'em out. Bron and co. made their jumpers against portland, and what they couldn't respond with enough offense of their own to overcome Bron's 7-17? Like wallagong said, I just think it's silly how much Hollinger is hyping a game in which Lebron (and more importantly his teammates, as evidenced by his assist total) made more shots... Fact is he still didn't shoot lights out cause he was held out of the paint, right? I dunno... not sure how else to say it.
Lakers by 60.
JoeHeff

Postby JoeHeff on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:21 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:After Lebron and the Cavs get smashed in the Finals, all this nonsense about him being better than Kobe will end IMO.

It will never end.
Lakers by 60.
JoeHeff

Postby BldngWine-CrvngGold on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:23 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:well he has been playing injured with a torn ligament in his finger and a dislocated ring finger cause he is a soldier.............oh wait nvm

Cavaliers Insider: James' injury is up his sleeve
by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter
Wednesday January 21, 2009, 11:36 PM

Greg Wahl-Stephens/Associated Press
LeBron James, wearing a white padded sleeve to protect his strained biceps muscle, drives past Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge during the second quarter Wednesday night.PORTLAND, Ore. -- It isn't easy to see, but LeBron James is hurting right now.
Last Friday, James suffered a strain in his biceps area on his upper right arm after in a scramble for a ball with New Orleans Hornets center Tyson Chandler. It is still affecting him despite some rest and treatments with ice and electric simulation.

"I'm feeling it; any time I extend [the arm] it hurts all the way up," James said. "It's not an excuse but as a shooter and a playmaker it can hurt you."

James has been wearing a support sleeve on the arm during games and practices. Before Wednesday's game against the Trail Blazers, he changed his routine by going out for a hard warmup about an hour before tip to help his muscles get loose.

The Cavs are not listing the injury on their report and most players are dealing with ailments by this time in the season and James is trying to not focus on it.

"I'm trying to get through it," James said. "I'm trying to get it back right."

He plays through injuries too , like i said.
BldngWine-CrvngGold

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:24 pm

^^^ Are you talking about the same LeBron James who missed like 5 games last year because of a sprained index finger? Yeah, he's really tough, what a soldier.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby BldngWine-CrvngGold on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:35 pm

You are being ignorant. Sorry, it's the truth. I came here to talk basketball, yet every point i make is just thron out the window because you don't like to be wrong. As i said earlier, the trainers made lebron sit that year, our record wasn't at the point where every game mattered. A lot of lebron's game depends on his feel and touch on the ball, which is most directly influenced by your thumb and index finger. He couldn't grip the ball effectively when he went in on drives and lost his touch around the basket. And his ball handling also suffered greatly. He uses his left hand on drives more than anyone in the league. This, coupled with our record not being in contention for a top seed resulted in lebron missing 5 games. Sorry guys, i'm telling the truth about what i see and hear every day.

CANT WAIT TIL THE 8th ;)

EDIT: Maybe the reason the media is regarding lebron as the best in the league is because....he is. It doesn't have to be some insane conspiracy, maybe it's just the truth. Most NBA writers from all outlets have come to a consensous. I doubt they all had a huge meeting and said "okay, everyone talk about lebron now! READY, BREAK!" They might just be writing what they are seeing.
Last edited by BldngWine-CrvngGold on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BldngWine-CrvngGold

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:37 pm

ESPN sucks, but they are still the best and easiest accessible sports authority. And I've noticed recently as Kobe has become more and more charismatic, more laid back, and more vocal ESPN is giving him more positive air time. When it comes the game however, they're still all over Lebron's nuts and I think may be the major reason why Lebron is the front runner for MVP. ( Not to downplay the way that Lebron has been playing lately).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby vaitimeri on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:37 pm

BldngWine-CrvngGold wrote:You are being ignorant. Sorry, it's the truth. I came here to talk basketball, yet every point i make is just thron out the window because you don't like to be wrong. As i said earlier, the trainers made lebron sit that year, our record wasn't at the point where every game mattered. A lot of lebron's game depends on his feel and touch on the ball, which is most directly influenced by your thumb and index finger. He couldn't grip the ball effectively when he went in on drives and lost his touch around the basket. And his ball handling also suffered greatly. He uses his left hand on drives more than anyone in the league. This, coupled with our record not being in contention for a top seed resulted in lebron missing 5 games. Sorry guys, i'm telling the truth about what i see and hear every day.

CANT WAIT TIL THE 8th ;)

"We're in this together, Phil and me," he said. "I can't imagine looking over there and not seeing him waiting on me." -Kobe
vaitimeri

Postby BldngWine-CrvngGold on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:42 pm

OMG when will people realize that the whole move isn't called a "crab dribble", its just the kind of dribble he took BEFORE he made the move where he turned his body away from the defender. It's not something he made up, all of the really good basketball minds know what it is. The way this has been blown out of proportion is absurd
BldngWine-CrvngGold

Postby from714to402 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:44 pm

BldngWine-CrvngGold wrote:OGD when will people realize that the whole move isn't called a "crab dribble", its just the kind of dribble he took BEFORE he made the move where he turned his body away from the defender. It's not something he made up, all of the really good basketball minds know what it is. The way this has been blown out of proportion is absurd

Lol. Dude, get off LeBron's #$%#. His "crab" dribble is a blatant travel. Get over it.
from714to402

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:47 pm

from714to402 wrote:
BldngWine-CrvngGold wrote:OGD when will people realize that the whole move isn't called a "crab dribble", its just the kind of dribble he took BEFORE he made the move where he turned his body away from the defender. It's not something he made up, all of the really good basketball minds know what it is. The way this has been blown out of proportion is absurd

Lol. Dude, get off LeBron's #$%#. His "crab" dribble is a blatant travel. Get over it.

Seriously. I get the whole crab dribble thing has been blown out of proportion, but it was still a travel. A player of his caliber, one that gets to the basket at will, should know better, and he should know better than to defend himself too. It was a travel, and watching a few of the Cavs games since then, the refs have taken notice to it. He's getting called for traveling now most of the time he tries that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TalkieWalkie on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:17 pm

I think Lebron is somwhat the front runner for MVP... but I do agree that it was given to him even before the season started...its like the pre-ranked it with Lebron as the #1....and then when his performance did merit the pre-season hype, they piled it on even more...just like when you buy a stock that shows signs of going up...and then as it starts climbing...more and more people jump on...

I think if things continue on the same clip, and Kobe stays healthy, he'll be the best choice for MVP af any of those guys....
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby BldngWine-CrvngGold on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 pm

i'm not saying it wasn't a travel, im saying the entire MOVE wasn't a crab dribble, just the dribble itself. Everytime he travels, its not because he's doing a crab dribble. The crab dribble itself is legal, its what came after the crabe dribble that wasn't
BldngWine-CrvngGold

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:11 pm

JoeHeff wrote:
ShaqDieselLaker wrote:After Lebron and the Cavs get smashed in the Finals, all this nonsense about him being better than Kobe will end IMO.

It will never end.

True. It reminds me of the time people tried to force Grant Hill down our throats as though he was the heir apparent to Jordan. It was extremely premature as is this Lebron James nonsense. Like Magic Johnson said, "the only thing that matters is championships." Kobe's been in 5 championship games, and won 3. Lebron's been in 1 and lost.
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby Ras Algethi on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:02 pm

BldngWine-CrvngGold wrote:i'm not saying it wasn't a travel, im saying the entire MOVE wasn't a crab dribble, just the dribble itself. Everytime he travels, its not because he's doing a crab dribble. The crab dribble itself is legal, its what came after the crabe dribble that wasn't

We get that. You have to admit though the whole thing is hilarious. Lebron defending it to no end, everyone using "crab dribble" for all travels now.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoeHeff on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:57 am

Related to the topic... Did anyone catch the post-game interview with Drew last night, when what's-her-face said the last 2 games have been blowouts against lesser competition, and Sunday we play the spurs (she was asking Drew to talk about the difference and getting ready for a big game against real competition and such)...

I'm sure it's not always easy to come up with a topic for a quick interview, and it probably wasn't her idea anyway, but seriously... whoever decided that's what she was to talk about should have considered this...

Monday: 18 points over Cleveland.
Wednesday: 11 points over Clips
Thursday: 20 points over Wiz...

2 blowouts against lesser competition, huh? stop me if I'm making any sense yet...
Lakers by 60.
JoeHeff

Postby thisbjgz on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 am

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:
JoeHeff wrote:

It will never end.

True. It reminds me of the time people tried to force Grant Hill down our throats as though he was the heir apparent to Jordan. It was extremely premature as is this Lebron James nonsense. Like Magic Johnson said, "the only thing that matters is championships." Kobe's been in 5 championship games, and won 3. Lebron's been in 1 and swept.

fixed
thisbjgz

Postby TheOp on Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:30 am

You need to chill out OP as far as im concerned it will only make it much more sweeter in June when we win the ship. All this hype about Lebron is going to be laughed at in June, I hope it continues until then.
TheOp

Postby Lqv2015 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:30 am

I'm watching BSPN right now. Some idiot kept comparing LeBron to MJ. "Why can't LeBron hit winning buzzer beaters if he's the next MJ?"

Are you f'n kidding me? They don't even want to give recognition to a player name Kobe whose still in the NBA. Hitting 2 game winning shots in the last week. They didn't even mention his name. Haha. Wow. Stern paid these guys off with a healthy sum.

:hurl: Image
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion