God I hate ESPN: Kobe unhappy Lakers won? (123)

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Thu May 17, 2012 9:51 am

Of course ... it's better to not even take a shot than miss one :man10: ... :bang:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Weezy on Thu May 17, 2012 12:02 pm

ESPN is crushing Kobe today, constantly talking about how stats say it's a myth that he's clutch. Thanks for that Henry Abbot. Well, at least Broussard and Adande sort of stood up for Kobe on OTL. Abbot comes across as a stammering stat geek. I seriously can barely believe that Kobe being clutch is being called into question after one choke game, after how he's been clutch more often than not his whole career. The stat of the last 24 seconds of the game is just stupid. How many times has Kobe hit shots just before then, multiple shots in a row to keep us in a game, or bring us back in a game? How many big playoff shots has he hit, or playoff series has he won being clutch, in the sense that he stepped his game up in big games that mattered or big moments that mattered? Sick of people looking at stats and nothing else, use your damn eyes, also sick of people almost discounting a man's entire career because of being a prisoner of the moment.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby BigDan24 on Thu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Looking at stats, of course the guy who rarerly even shoots in crunch time (aka LeBron) is going to look better/have a better fg% then the guy who is willing to take about any possible "clutch shoot" out there even if it is a heavily contested 30 ft shoot (aka Kobe) with a low chance of succes.

Does that mean he is the better clutch player?

I don't think so. Many so called experts seem to disagree...
BigDan24

Postby Doc Brown on Thu May 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Lebron is a better closer and clutch player than Kobe....

Ok ESPN try this out for me....

Make a compilation of all Kobe's clutch shots and closing moments and then make a compilation of Lebron's clutch shots and closing moments.

One will be a damn good 3 hour movie the other will be a trailer of something that never will be fulfilled.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby abeer3 on Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 pm

i like how if kobe makes big plays in one game, it's one game. when he flubs one, it's ironclad proof of his ineptitude.

good deflect by espn after both lebron and wade choked a game away at home against indy. at least kobe's choke was on the road against arguably the best team in the league.
abeer3

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu May 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Weezy wrote:ESPN is crushing Kobe today, constantly talking about how stats say it's a myth that he's clutch. Thanks for that Henry Abbot. Well, at least Broussard and Adande sort of stood up for Kobe on OTL. Abbot comes across as a stammering stat geek. I seriously can barely believe that Kobe being clutch is being called into question after one choke game, after how he's been clutch more often than not his whole career. The stat of the last 24 seconds of the game is just stupid. How many times has Kobe hit shots just before then, multiple shots in a row to keep us in a game, or bring us back in a game? How many big playoff shots has he hit, or playoff series has he won being clutch, in the sense that he stepped his game up in big games that mattered or big moments that mattered? Sick of people looking at stats and nothing else, use your damn eyes, also sick of people almost discounting a man's entire career because of being a prisoner of the moment.

Agreed.

I've watched almost every game of Kobe's career and his "clutchness" simply cannot be denied. The guy has an uncanny knack for hitting shots those "stem the tide" shots to end an opponent's run. It even happened a few times in the 2nd half yesterday. He's done it far more times than I can count. These are usually the shots that protect leads and win you ballgames. Last night would have been yet another example of this had he not had the 2 glaring errors in the final seconds that everyone wants to point at, isolate and condemn him for.

It's the ugly brother of "just looked at the box score" guy who tries to determine what kind of game a player had from a stat sheet. Pisses me off.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu May 17, 2012 2:24 pm

I will hate to see that network if Lebron ever wins a championship.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby lakers_09tv on Thu May 17, 2012 4:04 pm

BigDan24 wrote:Looking at stats, of course the guy who rarerly even shoots in crunch time (aka LeBron) is going to look better/have a better fg% then the guy who is willing to take about any possible "clutch shoot" out there even if it is a heavily contested 30 ft shoot (aka Kobe) with a low chance of succes.

Does that mean he is the better clutch player?

I don't think so. Many so called experts seem to disagree...

Lebron was clutch this year in the regular season. He took the clutch shots and for most part he made them. Wade took the game winning shots though. I believe he even made 3.

The best closer this year though was Chris Paul. He was unbelievable this year. Was as clutch as Dirk was in the playoffs last year.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu May 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm used to ESPN throwing Kobe under the bus, they were waiting on the day.
Jazzygirl205

Postby 100%effort on Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 pm

I'm not surprised. These are the same people who put this graphic up:

When Kobe is compared to MJ it's seasons/games played but for LeBron it's age. LeBron's in yr 9 and MJ was in yr 7 at age 27 (he turned 28 during the season on Feb 17). I really hope people realize what ESPN is doing. They are no different then the WWE at this point. It's all about $ at the end of the day.
100%effort

Postby alexthegreat on Thu May 17, 2012 7:37 pm

100%effort wrote:I'm not surprised. These are the same people who put this graphic up:

When Kobe is compared to MJ it's seasons/games played but for LeBron it's age. LeBron's in yr 9 and MJ was in yr 7 at age 27 (he turned 28 during the season on Feb 17). I really hope people realize what ESPN is doing. They are no different then the WWE at this point. It's all about $ at the end of the day.

ESPN has gone downhill so much over the years. Their double standard for comparing Kobe and LeBron to legends gets more pathetic every year.
alexthegreat

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 pm

100%effort wrote:I'm not surprised. These are the same people who put this graphic up:

that is by far the stupidest, most misleading graphic i have ever seen. ever.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Scnottaken on Thu May 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Lmao, at age 27, Kobe had 3 already.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby gcclaker on Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 pm

"Pinhead" Jon Barry just commented that Peace tried to knee Westbrook intentionally. :man3: Of course, he apparently did not see the latter pushing away at former's leg into him. Idiot...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri May 18, 2012 10:49 pm

gcclaker wrote:"Pinhead" Jon Barry just commented that Peace tried to knee Westbrook intentionally. :man3: Of course, he apparently did not see the latter pushing away at former's leg into him. Idiot...

jon barry's a joke. i prefer brent
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby DHL on Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 pm

NO REPLAY ON HILL's BLOCK
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby Doc Brown on Fri May 18, 2012 11:18 pm

gcclaker wrote:"Pinhead" Jon Barry just commented that Peace tried to knee Westbrook intentionally. :man3: Of course, he apparently did not see the latter pushing away at former's leg into him. Idiot...

I'd like to see him run his mouth with MWP in the same room. As a matter a fact, something would still come out, just not out of his mouth.

I'm so thankful I've gotten to the point with ESPN, that if a game is on, I have it on ESPN, but when it's halftime or the game is not on, that channel or ESPN2 is not on. I don't miss it one bit and I get almost all my sports info here anyways.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sun May 20, 2012 9:15 am

Its kind of funny how while Yahoo has "Kobe criticizes Pau", ESPN has "Kobe blames Pau"

I don't know you guys, but I believe there is a BIG difference between blaming and criticizing (which is what Kobe did)
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby 100%effort on Tue May 22, 2012 7:38 am

Watching first take and noticed the ticker at the bottom the screen recap the Thunder-Lakers game stats. "Kobe 42 pts (18-33) 0 ast ... Durant 25 pts, 10 reb Westbrook 28 pts"
100%effort

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 22, 2012 8:07 am

Doc Brown wrote:
gcclaker wrote:I'm so thankful I've gotten to the point with ESPN, that if a game is on, I have it on ESPN, but when it's halftime or the game is not on, that channel or ESPN2 is not on. I don't miss it one bit and I get almost all my sports info here anyways.

Exactly. Only time I ever see anything ESPN related is when I click on this thread to laugh at their latest level of ridiculousness or when someone posts a link or video on here that's of interest. Even without having to hear the audio, I still went and requested that they not have it on every other tv in the gym I work out at.

ESPN is an absolute joke. Like someone else commented, between their basketball "coverage" and Stern's BS the NBA is starting to look like wrestling.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby odom1year on Sat May 26, 2012 8:13 am

100%effort wrote:Watching first take and noticed the ticker at the bottom the screen recap the Thunder-Lakers game stats. "Kobe 42 pts (18-33) 0 ast ... Durant 25 pts, 10 reb Westbrook 28 pts"

It's a NBA playoffs record.
odom1year

Postby Finwë on Sat May 26, 2012 10:41 am

Chris Palmer was tweeting last night about LeBron and MJ, kept looking for arguments where he could say LeBron>MJ.
Typical BSPN, when it comes to the Kobe-MJ comparison, the only realistic and at this point worthy comparison, they get all upset, like you can't badmouth MJ, like he's untouchable. But when it comes to LeBron, all of the sudden MJ wasn't that good.

chris palmer ‏@ESPNChrisPalmer
LeBron will never catch Kobe or MJ's rings but may still end up a better basketball player.

In terms of strictly pure basketball ability give me LeBron over MJ.

This isn't what most of the BSPN writers say when comparing him to Kobe:
Hate to break it to you, Jordan is not a god. Just a really good basketball player.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby davriver290 on Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 am

OK now what I'm going to say isn't because of the love of Lebron, or the obvious dislike of Kobe. But, does anyone else think that most of these "analysts" of the game of basketball are awful? I mean including the Athletes that played the game? Sure they were great athletes, but I feel that doesn't make them a good analyst. I like a few of them like that insider Aldridge, I like some of the guys from NBATV, but just the majority of them are just awful. Does anyone else feel that? I feel I can go up there and dissect things better than them....
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Finwë on Sat May 26, 2012 12:16 pm

davriver290 wrote:OK now what I'm going to say isn't because of the love of Lebron, or the obvious dislike of Kobe. But, does anyone else think that most of these "analysts" of the game of basketball are awful? I mean including the Athletes that played the game? Sure they were great athletes, but I feel that doesn't make them a good analyst. I like a few of them like that insider Aldridge, I like some of the guys from NBATV, but just the majority of them are just awful. Does anyone else feel that? I feel I can go up there and dissect things better than them....

Agreed 100%
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun May 27, 2012 2:10 am

Finwë wrote:Chris Palmer was tweeting last night about LeBron and MJ, kept looking for arguments where he could say LeBron>MJ.
Typical BSPN, when it comes to the Kobe-MJ comparison, the only realistic and at this point worthy comparison, they get all upset, like you can't badmouth MJ, like he's untouchable. But when it comes to LeBron, all of the sudden MJ wasn't that good.

LeBron will never catch Kobe or MJ's rings but may still end up a better basketball player.

In terms of strictly pure basketball ability give me LeBron over MJ.

This isn't what most of the BSPN writers say when comparing him to Kobe:
Hate to break it to you, Jordan is not a god. Just a really good basketball player.

Many media analyst pretty much had it out for Kobe since he entered the NBA. At that time MJ was barely out of the NBA yet and they felt some kind of way a young Kobe could possibly rival MJ so they tainted Kobe's career for 16 seasons. Kobe was to always be the anti-Jordan whereas LeBron/Wade or anyone else the "NEXT" Jordan or better than. I think the LeBron bias is in regards to that, all of the "No one will be better than MJ" talk goes out the window as long as the basketball Gods blessed them with someone they can say is better than one of the most hated athletes in sports Kobe Bean Bryant.
Jazzygirl205

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion