God I hate ESPN: Kobe unhappy Lakers won? (123)

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

^it is so funny... The entire playoffs they are killing the guy for being casper when it matters and then he finally shows up and all is forgotten. This guy has topped MJ in one important area.... His legacy gets changed instantly where at least MJ had to retire twice to become the immortal that he is.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby XXIV on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^it is so funny... The entire playoffs they are killing the guy for being casper when it matters and then he finally shows up and all is forgotten. This guy has topped MJ in one important area.... His legacy gets changed instantly where at least MJ had to retire twice to become the immortal that he is.

Imagine if he were to repeat.
XXIV

Postby Finwë on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 pm

You gotta be kidding me. It's too much. There's nothing we can do about it. I understand it's a business, but c'mon, have some dignity.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 am

Funny thing with ESPN is they NEVER take into consideration the level of the competitition in these type of rankings ... I'm sure the 2012 Eastern Conf/OKC was way better than the 2000 Blazers ... yeah right :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby Scnottaken on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:55 am

I actually felt a pit in my stomach after I saw that picture. . . I fully and completely realized that is what the NBA and sports media wants to succeed, and they'll do anything to get their golden child to do well. A conceited, entitled, and scared diva of a superstar. They'd rather him do well than Kobe. Why? If I had it in me, i would just stop watching the league altogether.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:56 pm

The media may not realize it yet, but when Kobe hangs it up and his playing days are over all these terrible, biased media guys will eventually see the truth and see just how good Mr. Bryant was and is.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby GB3 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 am

IMO, Nash to LAL is by far the biggest story of the sports day. If you watch the half hour segments of Highlight Express on ESPN news, the story doesn't appear until over halfway through the show. You have to sit through highlights of David Ortiz's 400th HR and even competitive eating before the Nash to LA story appears and it's quite short. I suspect if Nash would have gone to Miami, that would have been the lead story and talked about for 10 min before any other story got any air time. Not that I'm surprised, I just find it interesting...
I don't feel pressure. I just go out and do what I do.
-Kobe Bryant
GB3

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Steve Nash doesn't fill defensive hole

Sexy.

That is the best and only word that can be used to describe Steve Nash going to the Lakers. It's like putting Scarlett Johansson in "The Avengers" franchise. The movie didn't need her, it would have still been great with someone else playing Black Widow. But damn.

Sexy. Just for the hell of it.

The problem with sexiness is that it sometimes doesn't equate to more than what's on the surface. Sexy sometimes can be substance-less. It can look like a trophy but not materialize into acquiring, generating or winning one.

Nash, the greatest point guard of his generation, will look sexy in a Lakers uniform. His acquisition is exactly what the organization needed to bring back some of the sexiness that it lost when Chris Paul wasn't allowed to go there last year yet was allowed to go to the Clippers.

The Lakers' organization took a hit with commissioner David Stern's veto. They were no longer the talk of L.A. They got out-sexied. Nash is their comeback.

But to come Jeru (clean) on this we must admit that this looks better than it might actually be because it doesn't answer the Lakers' biggest problem: defense at the point guard position.

In the playoffs, the Lakers were exposed like Janet Jackson without Jam & Lewis, Ke$ha without Auto-Tune, Michelle Williams without Beyoncé and Kelly. It was methodical. Ty Lawson (Denver) and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City) had contract re-up types of series against them. 

The reason the Lakers let Derek Fisher go was to get someone (Ramon Sessions) to better defend against the point guards they had to face in the playoffs. He didn't. And neither did/could Steve Blake as the backup. And now they are thinking Nash -- never known at any time in his career as a defensive stopper or someone who displayed supreme execution in what he's been able to do defensively -- is going to change or correct that problem? 

Which makes me (and anyone who is trying to analyze this trade from a perspective of basketball need) question: Do the Lakers feel Nash is so great offensively that their defensive liability at the point guard position will disappear because of his presence?

Not that Nash won't make the Lakers better (he will), but he doesn't answer their greatest need. He doesn't give them what is believed to be the remedy for their most obvious weakness nor address the issue that OKC and/or the Clippers and/or the Spurs will exploit in the playoffs over the next few years.

Yet if anyone in the NBA has the ability to make a team's weakness invalid, it is Nash. As great as some of his teams were in Phoenix and Dallas, he's never had or been on a team like this. Yes, he's turned no-names (Joe Johnson) and prodigies (Amare Stoudemire) into superstars, but he's never had two mobile 7-footers (Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol) to conduct half-court concertos with; he's never had a Kobe Bryant to ball with.

So as much as there is reason to not fall in love with the sexiness of Nash joining the Lakers, there is plausible reason to feel that with him on this squad, it could be the exception to the "defense wins championships" mantra that has ruled the league ever since Chuck Daly and the Bad Boys changed the way teams win titles.

Is it a reach? Yes. But it is a reach that the now "other" team in L.A. must take and must believe in.

The truth is, unless the Lakers also add someone like a Tony Allen or a Thabo Sefolosha or an Avery Bradley to the roster to complement Nash (and move Kobe to the small forward position), or unless Nash -- after spending the offseason and preseason with Lakers coach Mike Brown -- gains a spiritual appreciation for defense or has a defensive epiphany and makes a commitment to it that he's never made in his 16 years in the league (or looking even further into the future, the team is in position to draft Ohio State's Aaron Craft in 2013), the Lakers remain with a void unfilled. 

And in the NBA, when a team is vying for the crown -- as sexy as it may be -- a void unfilled is still a problem.

It's funny if the Heat had gotten Nash instead of the Lakers I guarantee clowns like Scoop would have a different tune. ESPN's bias against the Lakers is pathetic.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby kray28 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:44 pm

I would argue that the elite point guards like Westbrook are basically not defensible because of the way the game is called. They are allowed to push off/initiate contact at will and then get the benefit of the whistle.

So while Nash won't shut down a Westbrook or Lawson, the Lakers hope that the added synergistic improvement he brings to the offense is able to compensate.

With this Laker team, better offense is almost the easier answer to success than better defense....just part of the team's DNA. They are and have been for all these years a highly skilled finesse offensive team which can play "good enough" defense when it's needed.
kray28

Postby Finwë on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:49 pm

LOL @ that obviously biased article. Whatever the F ever.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:37 pm

KeepBynum wrote:

Steve Nash doesn't fill defensive hole

Sexy.

That is the best and only word that can be used to describe Steve Nash going to the Lakers. It's like putting Scarlett Johansson in "The Avengers" franchise. The movie didn't need her, it would have still been great with someone else playing Black Widow. But damn.

Sexy. Just for the hell of it.

The problem with sexiness is that it sometimes doesn't equate to more than what's on the surface. Sexy sometimes can be substance-less. It can look like a trophy but not materialize into acquiring, generating or winning one.

Nash, the greatest point guard of his generation, will look sexy in a Lakers uniform. His acquisition is exactly what the organization needed to bring back some of the sexiness that it lost when Chris Paul wasn't allowed to go there last year yet was allowed to go to the Clippers.

The Lakers' organization took a hit with commissioner David Stern's veto. They were no longer the talk of L.A. They got out-sexied. Nash is their comeback.

But to come Jeru (clean) on this we must admit that this looks better than it might actually be because it doesn't answer the Lakers' biggest problem: defense at the point guard position.

In the playoffs, the Lakers were exposed like Janet Jackson without Jam & Lewis, Ke$ha without Auto-Tune, Michelle Williams without Beyoncé and Kelly. It was methodical. Ty Lawson (Denver) and Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City) had contract re-up types of series against them. 

The reason the Lakers let Derek Fisher go was to get someone (Ramon Sessions) to better defend against the point guards they had to face in the playoffs. He didn't. And neither did/could Steve Blake as the backup. And now they are thinking Nash -- never known at any time in his career as a defensive stopper or someone who displayed supreme execution in what he's been able to do defensively -- is going to change or correct that problem? 

Which makes me (and anyone who is trying to analyze this trade from a perspective of basketball need) question: Do the Lakers feel Nash is so great offensively that their defensive liability at the point guard position will disappear because of his presence?

Not that Nash won't make the Lakers better (he will), but he doesn't answer their greatest need. He doesn't give them what is believed to be the remedy for their most obvious weakness nor address the issue that OKC and/or the Clippers and/or the Spurs will exploit in the playoffs over the next few years.

Yet if anyone in the NBA has the ability to make a team's weakness invalid, it is Nash. As great as some of his teams were in Phoenix and Dallas, he's never had or been on a team like this. Yes, he's turned no-names (Joe Johnson) and prodigies (Amare Stoudemire) into superstars, but he's never had two mobile 7-footers (Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol) to conduct half-court concertos with; he's never had a Kobe Bryant to ball with.

So as much as there is reason to not fall in love with the sexiness of Nash joining the Lakers, there is plausible reason to feel that with him on this squad, it could be the exception to the "defense wins championships" mantra that has ruled the league ever since Chuck Daly and the Bad Boys changed the way teams win titles.

Is it a reach? Yes. But it is a reach that the now "other" team in L.A. must take and must believe in.

The truth is, unless the Lakers also add someone like a Tony Allen or a Thabo Sefolosha or an Avery Bradley to the roster to complement Nash (and move Kobe to the small forward position), or unless Nash -- after spending the offseason and preseason with Lakers coach Mike Brown -- gains a spiritual appreciation for defense or has a defensive epiphany and makes a commitment to it that he's never made in his 16 years in the league (or looking even further into the future, the team is in position to draft Ohio State's Aaron Craft in 2013), the Lakers remain with a void unfilled. 

And in the NBA, when a team is vying for the crown -- as sexy as it may be -- a void unfilled is still a problem.

It's funny if the Heat had gotten Nash instead of the Lakers I guarantee clowns like Scoop would have a different tune. ESPN's bias against the Lakers is pathetic.

Who wrote this? It's an affront to decency, good sense, and journalism.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:39 pm

^ Scoop Jackson.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Phil XI on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Scoop Jokeson
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby ibeo on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:54 pm

But it is a reach that the now "other" team in L.A. must take and must believe in.

we are the "other" team in LA? someone is clearly on glue
ibeo

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:01 pm

ibeo wrote:
But it is a reach that the now "other" team in L.A. must take and must believe in.

we are the "other" team in LA? someone is clearly on glue

that is just flat out insulting. but coming from one of the hacks at ESPN it just makes me chuckle if anything
432J

Postby Scnottaken on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Was just channelsurfing, and decided to see what idiocy ESPN was spewing. When I started watching, the first thing they mention is "Who made the better moves, heat, *******, or knicks?" Now, why are they only mentioning east teams? Have they made any particularly amazing moves?
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:06 am

Last Night’s SportsCenter Featured A Dwight Howard Story Plagiarized Word-For-Word From RealGM.com

On last night's 10 p.m. SportsCenter, ESPN delivered "<b>BREAKING NEWS</b>" about the Orlando Magic's desperate attempts to retain star Dwight Howard. Here's the full transcript of that report:

Orlando Magic General Manager Rob Hennigan met with the franchise's disenchanted superstar Dwight Howard today in Los Angeles and according to sources, Hennigan traveled to LA to have this face-to-face discussion with Howard with the hopes of persuading him back off his trade request and allow the organization more time to build a championship contender. Hennigan was unsuccessful in his pitch however, as Howard reiterated his desire to leave Orlando as soon as possible.

RealGM.com columnist Jarrod Rudolph happened to be watching last night's broadcast, and immediately recognized something in those words; specifically, Rudolph recognized them as his words. More than an hour before that SportsCenter broadcast, Rudolph published this Howard story on RealGM. It reads:

Orlando Magic General Manager Rob Hennigan met with the franchise's disenchanted superstar Dwight Howard on Wednesday in Los Angeles, sources have confirmed to RealGM. Hennigan traveled to Los Angeles to have a face-to-face discussion with Howard with the hopes of persuading him to back off his trade request and allow the organization more time to build a championship contender. Hennigan, however, was unsuccessful in his pitch as Howard reiterated his desire to leave Orlando as soon as possible, according to sources.

ESPN didn't even make a token attempt at paraphrasing; Lynn Hoppes would be proud. The Worldwide Leader not only reported the work of another journalist without attribution, they did so WORD-FOR-WORD. If SportsCenter was a college student, it would be facing expulsion. SportsCenter read a shorter version of the report a half hour later, again using phrases lifted directly from Rudolph's piece.

We reached out to ESPN spokesperson Josh Krulewitz to comment on this, but received an "out of the office" message. If anyone at ESPN would like to explain to us how this happened, we're all ears.

LINK
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 am

C'mon ESPN you're better than that. Oh wait no you're not.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:14 am

It's quite amusing how the world leader of sports has to copy their information from another website.
XXIV

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 am

well they don't actually report anything from their own sources. 90% of their people don't even watch the stuff they report on. When they do report you get stuff like Skip saying, Kobe lost 16 pounds because he wants attention because its Lebrons Olympic team and League.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:16 am

LOL...

Skip Bayless is saying Kobe losing weight is upset because its Lebrons team and Lebron is the Champion. So Kobe keeps saying crazy things because he wants the world to remember him. HOLYDAMN that is stupid as hell.
puffyusaf#2

Postby NeeJee on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Why is that moron Bayless even allowed to talk basketball? I bet he hang played a game of basketball in his life. It bugs me so much that these media douche bags are so frequently so critical on athletes when they themselves have never been in their shoes before. Former athletes however I'm cool with because they've been there before.
NeeJee

Postby SK8 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:27 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:LOL...

Skip Bayless is saying Kobe losing weight is upset because its Lebrons team and Lebron is the Champion. So Kobe keeps saying crazy things because he wants the world to remember him. HOLYDAMN that is stupid as hell.

WOOOW did he really said that?? :man10: man now that's crazy, i don't understand what is wrong with this dude? And the sad thing is, that he get paid well to talk all that BS for people :bang: . I'm out of words. I already know that he is crazy, but this is over everything. WOW. :man3:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby GoatMilk16 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:33 pm

i have an ESPN scorecenter app that shows scores for games
when it's loading, it has a stat for any sport

i keep seeing this stat. soooooo ESPN
"since Kobe has been a Laker, no Laker has averaged more than 8.5 assists per game"
LMAO. so stupid
GoatMilk16

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:53 pm

While talking about the importance of the Olympics (team vs individual or not at all) Mr. JA Adande said that the biggest story is Lebron being able to win the League MVP, Finals MVP, Championship and Gold medal. That would be the greatest year ever (or something like that). I agree that is a great individual year but the olympics are about more than that..... Geesh
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion