God I hate ESPN: Kobe unhappy Lakers won? (123)

Re: God I hate ESPN: Cowherd - Kobe PEDs too much!

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm

therealdeal wrote:Some people are just not listening well enough apparently.

You can be complimentary while still being a hater. EVERYTHING that I posted in here from him happened. It came out of his mouth on his show. I'm not sure how my direct quoting makes me too sensitive.

Yep, but really what it boils down to is some people like Cowherd, some of us (or atleast I do) think he sucks, different tastes is all. I dont really listen to him enough to know how often he is complimentary of Kobe, nor do I care.

I generally really enjoy reading and listening to Bill Simmons' commentary (creepy voice aside), and he's an unapologetic, die-hard Boston fan who makes it no secret that he dislikes Kobe.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:02 pm

I had to go to ESPNLA to see anything about Kobe's game that was highlighted. Regular ESPN, had Miami (of course), Stan Van supports Dwight, Scouting report on trade deadline, Melo/Amare might be out but no "Damn, Kobe did it again" or nothing like that.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Steve Smith had a moment on NBA TV where he let his guard down, and said that although he still believes that the Lakers won't make the playoffs, that Kobe's performances were speaking to him. His words still don't quite say it, but his face showed that he was a believer.

It's obvious that they're coached to downplay the Lakers, but if you look carefully at their deliveries you can see that they're impressed. Even guys like Brent Barry impressed, you can tell by the added resentment in his voice.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Some people are just not listening well enough apparently.

You can be complimentary while still being a hater. EVERYTHING that I posted in here from him happened. It came out of his mouth on his show. I'm not sure how my direct quoting makes me too sensitive.

Yep, but really what it boils down to is some people like Cowherd, some of us (or atleast I do) think he sucks, different tastes is all. I dont really listen to him enough to know how often he is complimentary of Kobe, nor do I care.

I generally really enjoy reading and listening to Bill Simmons' commentary (creepy voice aside), and he's an unapologetic, die-hard Boston fan who makes it no secret that he dislikes Kobe.

I hear you. I think the main reason is that Simmons has a wealth of knowledge and Cowherd just thinks he does.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:33 pm

^Yep, listening to him, Jalen and Jacoby on their Grantland podcasts is really as far as I delve into sports talk nowadays.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Weezy wrote:LeBron makes a "game winner" layup with 4 seconds left on the clock after it goes in, it's shown for days for being so awesome...apparently. Kobe makes ridiculous shots and comebacks 2 games in a row, no big deal, it's just Kobe, he's only done it his whole career I guess. It's nice that LeBron could make a game winning layup, but seeing as how it was his first game winner since 2009(?), it's not that special. I think Joe Johnson has more game winners this season than LeBron has his whole career, so yeah. Not trying to dump on LeBron, I just think a guy doing what Kobe is doing in his 17th season at age 34 should be celebrated a little more. Also watching that "Kobe Untouchable" video I saw linked on LG today, give me prime Kobe over prime LeBron, Kobe had every move you can think of

Has Kobe ever been celebrated appropriately? Other players are praised and celebrated until their sneakers are taken off for good. When the GOAT was still playing, the media and fans didn't want people giving Kobe the unwarranted attention yet until he was actually done. Remember how Kobe outlasted all of those placed ahead of him, oh wait he's still doing that now :man9:

, people just "choose" forget too quickly.

Fixed... :man1:
Jazzygirl205

Postby Doc Brown on Fri May 17, 2013 5:18 pm

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 40m
JORDAN > KOBE ... @PhilJackson11's book touts MJ as better leader, defender. How close is Kobe? Weigh in at 7:45 ET: https://sc.espnvote.com/
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

Thank you ESPN for your neutral views on reporting sports. Remember way back when, when you actually reported sports and did highlights longer than 30 seconds?

Garbage.

(And it's not the fact that it's Jordan over Kobe, it's the fact that this is why Kobe gets a negative image. He's being used as a stepping stone to talk someone else up)
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri May 17, 2013 6:20 pm

But they are being fair....you are just being a kobe homer Doc
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Doc Brown on Fri May 17, 2013 6:30 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:But they are being fair....you are just being a kobe homer Doc

I must be knee deep in the Kool-Aid....

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 1h
On a scale of 1 to Michael Jordan (10), our fans think Kobe Bryant is a 7.

Weigh in here: http://on.fb.me/YPr999 .
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Apparently Kobe is only 70% the player MJ was. :man11:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri May 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Ofcourse ESPN probably wouldn't point it out, and it seems like naybe Phil didn't do the best job of conveying it, but it looks to me like alot of his "negative" impressions of Kobe's leadership skills and personality on a whole actually came during his first stint as the coach of the Lakers.

When Phil first coached Jordan, MJ was in his mid-20s and had gone from being the leader of his team in college before coming to the NBA and immediately playing starter minutes and being the man on the Bulls. P

Compare to Kobe coming in from HS, the Shaq conflict with many teammates actually siding against him, only becoming a starter in his third season, and most importantly his age and experience was no where near to MJ's when Phil first coached him.

If you consider the circumstances for both guys where when he first met them, its no surprise at all that Jordan was the better leader all along and Kobe had to catch up.

Eliminate Phil's Shaq-Era experiences with Kobe (and focus on his time with Kobe when he wasn no longer boy amongst men) however and the picture he paints of Kobe is much, much brighter. And lets be real, from a leadership standpoint Shaq, Kobe and Phil as well would love to do alot of things from that time period differently.

Matter of fact, Phil even commented that Kobe's case basically made him hate Kobe since his daughter was once sexually assaulted. It says alot about their relationship early on that it seems like Kobe was guilty until proven innocent in his mind.

Tobias Funke

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:But they are being fair....you are just being a kobe homer Doc

Lbj is a 14.8 I suspect
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Sat May 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

That's just ignorance..
Seriously, the more I read and talk to other people, the more obvious it becomes that I should not concern myself too much with this stuff. Most people don't really know enough about the game, don't take enough things into account, have short memories, lack objectivity, and many have a lot of conscious and unconsious bias.
In the end, true greatness stands on itself. It doesn't need validation from others, especially the kind of people that vote on ESPN polls based on a few highlights and a couple of simplistic stats.
Just be grateful that you get to watch a unique basketball player, and that you, unlike apparently many, are able to truly appreciate his ability.

(BTW, I'm not trying to diminish MJ or saying Kobe's better than him or whatever. MJ is probably the GOAT, but Kobe is NOT just 70% of what he was. That's just stupid).
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Do you all see the difference in the basketball universe, you have one discussion going on with Scottie Pippen and Alonzo Mourning say how a certain Miami player is better than MJ, while you have several discussions going on with Kobe about how Kobe can never compare to MJ. A several months back, MJ was being called a old bitter S.O.B. because he said he said a certain Miami player's game is missing some things after people said he was better. The same people who called him a bitter old S.O.B. were the same people applauding him for telling Kobe off when the Olympics were going on and Kobe said he think they could beat the Dream Team.

People never wanted Kobe to mirror MJ, until this day and close to retirement they're still making sure he's to to forever be historically the anti-Jordan, despite the man himself saying Kobe's game is the only one that's a mirror image of his. Even though MJ is irrelevant to everyone this day and age according to some old NBA players and fans. Soon as Kobe's name is brought up and compared to him, he then becomes important and relevant again.

The discrepancy is right there lol.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 20, 2013 6:40 am

I don't know how or why ESPN is playing the underdog card for Miami.

Toolbag on ESPN talking about, "How are the Heat supposed to play with a big two (Lebron/Wade) vs. a team that has a big 5 (Pacers starters)."

Let's just forget about Bosh, who is by far the most under appreciated player on that roster.

Let's just forget about all the shooters they have around them that makes the big 3 unguardable errr big 2, forget Bosh isn't involved in that.

Just putting a built in excuse there already, just in case they need to break the emergency glass if Miami loses. The Heat are the best team in the playoffs until proven otherwise, how they get an excuse, "Pacers big 5", is beyond laughable.

Pacers big 5. <----- What are you smoking to have to utter those words?
Doc Brown

Postby kingjsun on Mon May 20, 2013 8:09 am

Jordan mentioned ring counts, "5 > 1". So by this, Horry is better than Jordan since 7 > 6! :man12:
Buckle up! This off season is going to be some ride...
kingjsun

Postby 100%effort on Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 am

kingjsun wrote:Jordan mentioned ring counts, "5 > 1". So by this, Horry is better than Jordan since 7 > 6! :man12:

Apples to oranges.
100%effort

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:29 am

Doc Brown wrote:I don't know how or why ESPN is playing the underdog card for Miami.

Toolbag on ESPN talking about, "How are the Heat supposed to play with a big two (Lebron/Wade) vs. a team that has a big 5 (Pacers starters)."

Let's just forget about Bosh, who is by far the most under appreciated player on that roster.

Let's just forget about all the shooters they have around them that makes the big 3 unguardable errr big 2, forget Bosh isn't involved in that.

Just putting a built in excuse there already, just in case they need to break the emergency glass if Miami loses. The Heat are the best team in the playoffs until proven otherwise, how they get an excuse, "Pacers big 5", is beyond laughable.

Pacers big 5. <----- What are you smoking to have to utter those words?

the ESPN machine works very well at making the Heat the best team ever when it suits them. Then the most courageous team ever when they are facing a formidable foe. When the team is playing great it is Lebron has lead them. Yet when they are not it is because Lebron doesn't have enough around him. They play both sides of the coin and fans eat it up. They actually have a survey now asking if the Pacers coach was disrespectful to Lebron and the Heat by saying the Heat was another team in their way. Disrespect? Only ESPN.
puffyusaf#2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:44 am

LMAO... Skip saying Kobe's interview last night was Kobe showing he is "human" and that he is "afraid of this injury" etc...etc...etc..etc.... These guys are comical.
puffyusaf#2

Postby MusixFinest on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:00 am

Y'know what Puffy, I have to be honest I felt the same way Skip did during Kobe's interview. Not once did we see him celebrating with his teammates during the game or having fun. It seems that something heavy is weighing on his mind. God, I hope I'm wrong, but I think he'll be a shell of his former self when he gets back...that not even he could overcome this injury, like many have tried in the past. It seriously took away a part of the satisfaction of beating the Clips last night. *sigh*

All we can do is pray this isn't the end for him.
MusixFinest

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 am

Musix, the guy wants to be playing and being part of that win. That's what he always has on his mind. He wants to play, HE wants to win.

Of course he was happy for them. It's not like gonna jump in and get rowdy. Let the young fellas enjoy their hard earned victory.

Mamba just wants to be back.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:15 am

MusixFinest wrote:Y'know what Puffy, I have to be honest I felt the same way Skip did during Kobe's interview. Not once did we see him celebrating with his teammates during the game or having fun. It seems that something heavy is weighing on his mind. God, I hope I'm wrong, but I think he'll be a shell of his former self when he gets back...that not even he could overcome this injury, like many have tried in the past. It seriously took away a part of the satisfaction of beating the Clips last night. *sigh*

All we can do is pray this isn't the end for him.

I disagree. There were several times they showed Kobe fist pumping his team. Kobe doesn't want the focus of the team to be on him, in my opinion, so he gives the basic answers. I guess it is all interpretation but for me it is wrong. Kobe was killed for trying to rush back after every injury. Now that he isn't rushing it is because he doesn't believe he can come back? That doesn't make any sense. Remember this is the same panelist who took Kobe calling himself a "Fat A**" to knock Kobe for not having drive anymore. Yup, Kobe's tongue in cheek comment became a serious attack on the man. Can't agree with Skip on it.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:22 pm

ESPN is shameless and pathetic, especially that jackass Clipper fan/Laker and Kobe hater Marcellus Wiley. I took this picture with his stupid face a few minutes ago, but the question is the really pathetic part.

Nothing but fake drama because ESPN didn't expect us to win last night and needs a negative Laker story. Yeah, Kobe is super unhappy that he seemingly has a better team than last season. The guy who wants nothing but championships is unhappy with a roster that can win a game without him. :man11: Are you kidding me ESPN?

Meanwhile on the other side if I'm watching SportsCenter I have to sit through highlights of LeBron's first NBA regular season game. He's just so great it needs to be celebrated now. Sure it was a loss in a meaningless game, but he was so good we need to learn about his history so we can truly appreciate him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm sure Kobe was pissed off about the team winning. I bet he thoroughly enjoyed last season killing himself for a team that was torn apart by Dwight and willing that team to win after win just to get into the playoffs. He was so happy he tore his achilles because he loved that team.

This team, he's fuming at all the chemistry, actually having a bench, starters not even breaking 25 minutes and the general desire of the team to want to win, rather than having to play 48 minutes with guys that just want to get their stats and be pampered.

Idiots.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Well, Kobe wasn't smiling on the bench a lot, so that means he wasn't happy with the team winning without him. Marcellus was at the game, he saw it with his own eyes, the "eye test", Kobe didn't shoe enough teeth so he was unhappy. These are direct quotes, I'm not joking. How did Marcellus get on tv? Is it because he hates Kobe and the Lakers?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Look whos asking the question though...Max and Marcellus these two clowns bring up fake drama to fill up air time in 710 ESPN and theyre doing the same on SportsNation. Not surprised at all

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion