God I hate ESPN: Kobe unhappy Lakers won? (123)

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby from714to402 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 am

Tactical wrote:Is this seriously an issue?

I didn't think it was that big of an issue.
from714to402

Postby DarthRekal on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:05 am

people here on CL dont like this type of crusade.. i myself would like to see BSPN fall by the wayside... or split into some west coast version that will be our champion.. it's a big deal to me cause it's how the majority of the country sees our team.. but. i let it slide cause my CL bretherin pop me my xanax
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:18 am

how about this headline:

Pavlovic keeps Cleveland in the game for 3 quarters.
abeer3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:26 am

DarthRekal wrote:people here on CL dont like this type of crusade.. i myself would like to see BSPN fall by the wayside... or split into some west coast version that will be our champion.. it's a big deal to me cause it's how the majority of the country sees our team.. but. i let it slide cause my CL bretherin pop me my xanax

unfortunately ESPN is so East Coast biased it isn;t even funny which kills me
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby rock0100 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:16 am

You know, I always saw people on here complaining and never really saw it. Tonight though, a lot of the stuff about the game was played down. It is pretty pathetic. Kobe guards a guy 40 pounds heavier then him and makes him have a bad shooting night and yet he gets no credit. Do they actually think that Lebron was gaurding Kobe without help?! Lebron didn't even gaurd Kobe til later in the game.

ESPN is pretty stupid. I am officially changing my home page. Nevermind Kobe's amazing shots when LeBron was gaurding him, never mind Kobe's 12 assists, Nevermind that Kobe was approaching a triple double. Nevermind the heart he showed.

I have a TON of respect for LeBron and he has nothing to do with the way the media treats him, but the disregard of Kobe's game is really pathetic. Last night, Kobe showed why he is still the best in the game.
rock0100

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:35 am

I think I hate JA Adande more than I hate Skip Baseless. The only time he gets on one of the main pages of ESPN is when he disses (somehow) the Lakers and Kobe. He talks about Bron and there injuries to their team but not ours though he does talk about Kobe's injury. Heres a bit of his Daily Dime info:

LOS ANGELES -- "Who did daddy play tonight?" LeBron James asked LeBron Jr. as they stood in a Staples Center hallway.

"The Lakers," the younger LeBron said.

That wasn't the answer LeBron was looking for.

"Who plays for the other team?" he pressed.

"Kobe," his son responded.

LeBron Jr. had it right the first time. This wasn't about the marquee matchup (As if to emphasize the hype heading in, two hours before the Lakers played the Cavaliers the whiteboard used to display scouting report in the visitors' locker room had only two numbers: 23 and 24). Cleveland wasn't KO'd by Kobe Bryant. It was about the Lakers' size and depth and a stronger-than-usual commitment to defense overwhelming an injury-depleted Cavaliers squad for a 105-88 victory that was more about the practical matter of homecourt advantage than an accurate forecast of an NBA Finals matchup.

At the moment the Lakers (32-8) are ahead of the Cavaliers (31-8) and would start the series at Staples Center if the teams met in the NBA Finals. The Cavaliers can only hope and assume things would be different if they weren't missing the currently injured Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Delonte West.

"You've got to be full strength," James said -- to the media, not his son. "One thing right now, we're not full strength. One thing Z does is get one of those bigs out of the paint. Delonte being out, that hurts us too."

Although the Lakers were without backup point guard Jordan Farmar and sometimes-starting forward Luke Walton, they still had the superior depth that made the difference while Kobe and LeBron played to a statistical draw (20 points, 12 assists, six rebounds for Kobe, 23 points, nine rebounds, four assists, four steals for LeBron).

Then there is this one about not comparing players which made me laugh out loud

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... ron-090119
This month, I've realized two things are overrated: New Year's resolutions and determining who's better between Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

We put so much emphasis on the start of a new year without thinking about just how random the date is. All it marks is a point on the Earth's orbit, and if we're not going to use in our everyday lives the days the Earth is closest to or farthest from the sun, one day is really no different from any other day. To us, nothing really changes on Jan. 1. Where is the start or finish on an ellipse? Someone (apparently, Julius Caesar) happened to pick Jan. 1, so that's the date after which the waiting times for the treadmill at your health club increase thanks to all the extra people who resolved to lose weight. It's arbitrary.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 am

if it makes any difference, the headline on ESPN mobile says "Kobe Leads Lakers To 105-88 Thrashing Of LeBron And The Cavs."
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Basketball Fan on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I think I hate JA Adande more than I hate Skip Baseless. The only time he gets on one of the main pages of ESPN is when he disses (somehow) the Lakers and Kobe. He talks about Bron and there injuries to their team but not ours though he does talk about Kobe's injury. Heres a bit of his Daily Dime info:

LOS ANGELES -- "Who did daddy play tonight?" LeBron James asked LeBron Jr. as they stood in a Staples Center hallway.

"The Lakers," the younger LeBron said.

That wasn't the answer LeBron was looking for.

"Who plays for the other team?" he pressed.

"Kobe," his son responded.

LeBron Jr. had it right the first time. This wasn't about the marquee matchup (As if to emphasize the hype heading in, two hours before the Lakers played the Cavaliers the whiteboard used to display scouting report in the visitors' locker room had only two numbers: 23 and 24). Cleveland wasn't KO'd by Kobe Bryant. It was about the Lakers' size and depth and a stronger-than-usual commitment to defense overwhelming an injury-depleted Cavaliers squad for a 105-88 victory that was more about the practical matter of homecourt advantage than an accurate forecast of an NBA Finals matchup.

At the moment the Lakers (32-8) are ahead of the Cavaliers (31-8) and would start the series at Staples Center if the teams met in the NBA Finals. The Cavaliers can only hope and assume things would be different if they weren't missing the currently injured Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Delonte West.

"You've got to be full strength," James said -- to the media, not his son. "One thing right now, we're not full strength. One thing Z does is get one of those bigs out of the paint. Delonte being out, that hurts us too."

Although the Lakers were without backup point guard Jordan Farmar and sometimes-starting forward Luke Walton, they still had the superior depth that made the difference while Kobe and LeBron played to a statistical draw (20 points, 12 assists, six rebounds for Kobe, 23 points, nine rebounds, four assists, four steals for LeBron).

Then there is this one about not comparing players which made me laugh out loud

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... ron-090119" rel="nofollow
This month, I've realized two things are overrated: New Year's resolutions and determining who's better between Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

We put so much emphasis on the start of a new year without thinking about just how random the date is. All it marks is a point on the Earth's orbit, and if we're not going to use in our everyday lives the days the Earth is closest to or farthest from the sun, one day is really no different from any other day. To us, nothing really changes on Jan. 1. Where is the start or finish on an ellipse? Someone (apparently, Julius Caesar) happened to pick Jan. 1, so that's the date after which the waiting times for the treadmill at your health club increase thanks to all the extra people who resolved to lose weight. It's arbitrary.

Odd that Lebron's son is at the game since its in L.A. but whatever I figured they'd feature Kobe and his daughter apparently yesterday was her birthday.
Basketball Fan

Postby Chopper on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:03 am

Not a big deal in this sense. We DO have the better team, and we're going to prove it in the Finals too, so who cares if Kobe doesn't get all the headlines, so long as the Lakers do.
Chopper

Postby Pau16Kobe24Drew17 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:23 am

That is why I call it BSPN. Wilbon is one of the biggest Laker and Kobe haters as well.
Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Postby gill on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:32 am

I don't see why this is such a big deal. We won, it was a total team effort on the Lakers part and the fact that we have a better cast surrounding Kobe. What's there to go nuts about? Headline semantics???
gill

Postby Pau16Kobe24Drew17 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:45 am

If Lebron has no talent around him what is the problem? Is it no free agent wants to go to Cleveland to play with him? Is it he doesn't make others better? Is it he is selfish? Is it he shoots too much? Is it because he has never won an NBA title without Shaq? That is crap BSPN spewed out about Kobe when he was trying to win with Mihm, Smush, Walton, Odom, Cook and Kwame and crap like that around him.
Pau16Kobe24Drew17

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:48 am

re: big z's injury: i'm really interested to see what he does against the lakers. he used to kill them. but i think bynum can play him one on one and come out on top.
abeer3

Postby Weezy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:39 am

Ok, again, I'm not big on whining about ESPN after games, just big on mocking them, but wow they're really trying to make excuses for the Cavs. The poll in today's Daily Dime reads "If Delonte West and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are healthy, are the Cavs better than the Lakers?". So basically ESPN is using the injury excuse FOR the Cavs, never really giving us full credit, pretty sad. Oh and the results of that poll are so far 26% yes, 74% no, ha ha.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GG on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:52 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:if it makes any difference, the headline on ESPN mobile says "Kobe Leads Lakers To 105-88 Thrashing Of LeBron And The Cavs."

that's more like it.
GG

Postby The LeBrons on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:59 am

I can't see Delonte helping them much more than Pavlovic did last night. Delonte's small too, so Kobe will just post him up. Z I could see going both ways. He could kill us on the offfensive glass and hit all his shots, but then again I could see us beating him down the floor since he'll be crashing the glass and getting more in transition. And I don't know how aggressive Bynum will be against him since Bynum rarely goes at guys who are taller than him.
“That was a trip. It felt great, though. I don’t got to worry about nobody poisoning my burger now. I can eat in peace.”

- Kobe, the NBA MVP
The LeBrons

Postby prince24kobe on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Pau16Kobe24Drew17 wrote:That is why I call it BSPN. Wilbon is one of the biggest Laker and Kobe haters as well.

Are you dumb?
prince24kobe

Postby prince24kobe on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Weezy wrote:Ok, again, I'm not big on whining about ESPN after games, just big on mocking them, but wow they're really trying to make excuses for the Cavs. The poll in today's Daily Dime reads "If Delonte West and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are healthy, are the Cavs better than the Lakers?". So basically ESPN is using the injury excuse FOR the Cavs, never really giving us full credit, pretty sad. Oh and the results of that poll are so far 26% yes, 74% no, ha ha.

No they're not, that's actually a very good question. Of course a team with two starters out is going to suffer. ESPN sucks sometimes sure, but some of you guys are making something out of nothing.
prince24kobe

Postby Weezy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm

prince24kobe wrote:
Weezy wrote:Ok, again, I'm not big on whining about ESPN after games, just big on mocking them, but wow they're really trying to make excuses for the Cavs. The poll in today's Daily Dime reads "If Delonte West and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are healthy, are the Cavs better than the Lakers?". So basically ESPN is using the injury excuse FOR the Cavs, never really giving us full credit, pretty sad. Oh and the results of that poll are so far 26% yes, 74% no, ha ha.

No they're not, that's actually a very good question. Of course a team with two starters out is going to suffer. ESPN sucks sometimes sure, but some of you guys are making something out of nothing.

First, calling people dumb is against the rules here, even doing it in question form. Second, would there be a poll up like "If Jordan Farmar and Luke Walton were healthy, are the Lakers better than the Cavs?" had we lost? No, there wouldn't be, we'd have just lost, move on, no excuses. There was no poll for "If the Lakers had Farmar, Walton, Vujacic and a healthy Odom, would they have beaten the Spurs" back when SA beat us, they don't bother to make excuses for us.

Then today on ESPN First and 10 one of the guys was making a ton of excuses for LeBron, kept bringing up the question who has the better supporting cast. I say really, if you look at them, other than Pau, what's so great about our team? We're a bunch of no name overachievers just like Cleveland, and I you'd NEVER see Kobe get that excuse made for him back in 05/06 when he was carrying us but still losing, it was simply 'Kobe can't get it done'.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby OchoX3 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:38 pm

Weezy wrote:
prince24kobe wrote:

First, calling people dumb is against the rules here, even doing it in question form. Second, would there be a poll up like "If Jordan Farmar and Luke Walton were healthy, are the Lakers better than the Cavs?" had we lost? No, there wouldn't be, we'd have just lost, move on, no excuses. There was no poll for "If the Lakers had Farmar, Walton, Vujacic and a healthy Odom, would they have beaten the Spurs" back when SA beat us, they don't bother to make excuses for us.

Then today on ESPN First and 10 one of the guys was making a ton of excuses for LeBron, kept bringing up the question who has the better supporting cast. I say really, if you look at them, other than Pau, what's so great about our team? We're a bunch of no name overachievers just like Cleveland, and I you'd NEVER see Kobe get that excuse made for him back in 05/06 when he was carrying us but still losing, it was simply 'Kobe can't get it done'.

Well said.
OchoX3

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:15 pm

prince24kobe wrote:
Pau16Kobe24Drew17 wrote:That is why I call it BSPN. Wilbon is one of the biggest Laker and Kobe haters as well.

Are you dumb?

Are you enjoying your stay here? Because more comments like that and you won't be around for long.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby blakeruns on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:02 pm

of course, ESPN is now hyping up

"who is more NFL ready: Kobe or Lebron?"

of course Lebron is the obvious choice. he's bigger, stronger, and younger.
but WTF kindve question is that anyway? i guess they are just trying to make sure Lebron
can beat Kobe in same facet after last night
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:02 pm

You gotta admit ESPN can be pretty funny at times though, like today they're actually gonna have the PTI guys debate who'd be a better NFL player, Kobe or LeBron. I guess they got tired of saying that LeBron is better than Kobe in the NBA now so they're gonna move on to other sports that LeBron would be better at than Kobe, lmao.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Yoqui23 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Weezy wrote:Also, even though I'm sick of the ESPN whining cause they're opinion means nothing, the headline ACTUALLY reads 'Supporting cast pushes Lakers past Cavs', there's zero mention of Kobe.

ESPN hates kobe, he will retire as one of best players of all time but maybe as the most hated of all time also.
We Believe: The Title is coming back where it belongs in 2009.
Yoqui23

Postby Yoqui23 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:22 pm

now they say that kobe has a lot of help but when he didn't have it and took the team to the playoffs with smush, kwame and a bunch of nobodys they did not gave him any credit. bunch of haters, we will see them in june when we beat this cavs again!!!
We Believe: The Title is coming back where it belongs in 2009.
Yoqui23

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion