God I hate ESPN: Kobe unhappy Lakers won? (123)

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby kray28 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 pm

It's New Hampshire...not Mass. Yes, they are majority Boston fans there. But most of Massachusetts proper...thinks we're favorites to win it all.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21247
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby JGC on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm

When will people realize the only agenda ESPN has is the agenda of making money. If redirecting ESPN to ClubLakers.com would make them billions, then they would.

If that means some of our mods (and site owners/admins) get a piece of that pie, maybe they should. Haha.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby kray28 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:26 pm

If everyone had the magic formula for making the most money, most of the time..then all companies would be successful.

ESPN boldly admits that even coverage doesn't sell...and that's why they don't do it. Arrogance and hubris is the name of the game really. What they don't realize though is that if they had even coverage, they'd make more money. They still make money by flooding us with useless crap about Tebow....but don't realize they could make more if they added more value to their coverage.

The truth...I don't care for their opinions at all. I only watch them if they're showing something I can't see elsewhere. If they didn't show games I wanted to see, I wouldn't pay my cable provider to add them to my channel lineup.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21247
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby JGC on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:30 pm

kray28 wrote:If everyone had the magic formula for making the most money, most of the time..then all companies would be successful.

ESPN boldly admits that even coverage doesn't sell...and that's why they don't do it. Arrogance and hubris is the name of the game really. What they don't realize though is that if they had even coverage, they'd make more money. They still make money by flooding us with useless crap about Tebow....but don't realize they could make more if they added more value to their coverage.

The truth...I don't care for their opinions at all. I only watch them if they're showing something I can't see elsewhere. If they didn't show games I wanted to see, I wouldn't pay my cable provider to add them to my channel lineup.


Sorry but the idea that providing "even coverage" is the greatest moneymaker is silly talk. No one provides "even coverage". For a reason.

There isn't a news station out there, sports or otherwise, that provides truly even coverage. They cover what the majority of the people want, not what they think they want.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 am

Talking about players recieving medals... :man10:

Long talk about Iguodala in Denver but nothing about Kobe at his final Olympics. Wow.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:52 am

therealdeal wrote:Talking about players recieving medals... :man10:

Long talk about Iguodala in Denver but nothing about Kobe at his final Olympics. Wow.


Yeah I wanted them to highlight Kobe's career leading to his second gold medal for the kiddies.
Image
User avatar
Jazzygirl205

 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Finwë on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Skip Bayless noticed all the love 'Bron has been getting:
Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless
Funny to me so much made of LeBron making 3 w/ 2 mins left over 300-lb MGasol. USA up 6! But expectations so low for him it's a WOW.

Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless
Funny to me so much made of LeBron making 3 w/ 2 mins left over 300-lb MGasol. USA up 6! But expectations so low for him it's a WOW.

Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless
For its Closing Ceremony, London has pulled off The Greatest Production in the History of the World. Times 10. This might go until dawn.


I've always thought Bayless was a troll, but he's right about this.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:19 pm

They have jocked LBJ so hard it isnt funny. Sad part is I dont even hate Lebron anymore cause it isnt his doing.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
User avatar
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 31193
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Making folks sexy with dancin'

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby therealdeal on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:47 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:They have jocked LBJ so hard it isnt funny. Sad part is I dont even hate Lebron anymore cause it isnt his doing.

Nope. He's lead his team to the promise land. I don't even hate him anymore. I hate the media for loving him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby kray28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:19 pm

It's hard to deny that LeBron is at the top of his game right now, and is probably the best all around player in the league.

Give LeBron his due props...he was the key player on Team USA, and he brought a ring to Miami. He answered his doubters and the monkey is off his back.

That being said, LeBron's brute force, hamfisted style of ball is hard to watch. Kobe is not as powerful, or as athletic, but makes up for it with unmatched skill...and that makes Kobe's version of basketball ballet 10x more entertaining to watch. Style does count for something....
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21247
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Finwë on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:43 pm

kray28 wrote:That being said, LeBron's brute force, hamfisted style of ball is hard to watch. Kobe is not as powerful, or as athletic, but makes up for it with unmatched skill...and that makes Kobe's version of basketball ballet 10x more entertaining to watch. Style does count for something....

YES. This.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Randombobman on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:14 pm

I don't know, watching Lebron bulldoze his way through the Thunder in June was pretty damn entertaining. I'd rather have Lebron win his first ring after the struggles he went through, then Durant and the Zombies win a ring I don't think they've earned.

Also, does anyone ever read TJ Simers stuff? Man that guy is BRUTAL when it comes to Kobe.
Randombobman

 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Weezy on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 pm

I agree that LeBron is the best right now, and I also agree that the media gushes a little too much over him. Passing the ball really quickly across court because you don't want to/can't shoot 3's doesn't make it a good or amazing pass, it just makes it a pass. He has amazing athleticism, the way he gets to the rim can be amazing, but he still takes some ugly freakin shots. He had one 'fadeaway' just outside the key that was ugly, and yeah he hit a big 3, but then I believe he airballed one not too long after that. He's a great player, but he's not super skilled and his game to me at least, is not that smooth or nice to watch, I think Durant is a way more fun to watch scorer, reminds me way more of Kobe.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby TrillyandTruly on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Weezy wrote: He has amazing athleticism, the way he gets to the rim can be amazing, but he still takes some ugly freakin shots. He had one 'fadeaway' just outside the key that was ugly...


This. And also, his footwork is mediocre. When Kobe was at his prime, it was literally like watching Shakespeare in basketball shoes.
My entourage is in camouflage; remove your mask, let down your visage...
User avatar
TrillyandTruly

 
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 pm

kray28 wrote:It's hard to deny that LeBron is at the top of his game right now, and is probably the best all around player in the league.

Give LeBron his due props...he was the key player on Team USA, and he brought a ring to Miami. He answered his doubters and the monkey is off his back.

That being said, LeBron's brute force, hamfisted style of ball is hard to watch. Kobe is not as powerful, or as athletic, but makes up for it with unmatched skill...and that makes Kobe's version of basketball ballet 10x more entertaining to watch. Style does count for something....


^^ Well said, Kray.

I still can't stand Lebronze, but I'll give him his due . . . with an *. :man12:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:08 am

LeBron is more dominate than anyone else in the league, if he can extend his career further when his knees and age begin to fight one another for first place and still put up consistent numbers, would you all agree he'd be better than Kobe and MJ? It was hard for Kobe to extend his career he had to keep conditioning himself, he became a perimeter shooter as soon as he hit mid to late 20's because he knew he didn't have the same athletic ability anymore. I'm still salty Kobe has one MVP he basically has had seasons where he fit all of the requirements but still only ended up with one. It doesn't make sense that his individual points and titles don't match his MVP collection. :disagree:
Image
User avatar
Jazzygirl205

 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 am

Weezy wrote:I agree that LeBron is the best right now, and I also agree that the media gushes a little too much over him. Passing the ball really quickly across court because you don't want to/can't shoot 3's doesn't make it a good or amazing pass, it just makes it a pass. He has amazing athleticism, the way he gets to the rim can be amazing, but he still takes some ugly freakin shots. He had one 'fadeaway' just outside the key that was ugly, and yeah he hit a big 3, but then I believe he airballed one not too long after that. He's a great player, but he's not super skilled and his game to me at least, is not that smooth or nice to watch, I think Durant is a way more fun to watch scorer, reminds me way more of Kobe.


Kevin Durant's achievements kind of get lost in the LeBron glory. It's always like that though, but no one really knows how K.D. had the most collective points in Olympic game history surpassing MJ, CHARLES and a few others. He already has two scoring titles I think, almost got an NBA championship so sky's the limit for him. He just needs to do the same which is adjust every season so he can still be affective and have a prolonged NBA career.
Image
User avatar
Jazzygirl205

 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:17 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:LeBron is more dominate than anyone else in the league, [b]if he can extend his career further when his knees and age begin to fight one another for first place and still put up consistent numbers, would you all agree he'd be better than Kobe and MJ? It was hard for Kobe to extend his career he had to keep conditioning himself, he became a perimeter shooter as soon as he hit mid to late 20's because he knew he didn't have the same athletic ability anymore. I'm still salty Kobe has one MVP he basically has had seasons where he fit all of the requirements but still only ended up with one. It doesn't make sense that his individual points and titles don't match his MVP collection. :disagree: [/b]

That's a pretty big IF. A lot of players have come into the league and played phenomenal basketball, only to be brought down to earth by way of injury(s) or not adjusting their game once they lose their youth/athleticism.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
User avatar
KBJelleyBean24

 
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: Oxnard, CA

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:35 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:LeBron is more dominate than anyone else in the league, if he can extend his career further when his knees and age begin to fight one another for first place and still put up consistent numbers, would you all agree he'd be better than Kobe and MJ? It was hard for Kobe to extend his career he had to keep conditioning himself, he became a perimeter shooter as soon as he hit mid to late 20's because he knew he didn't have the same athletic ability anymore. I'm still salty Kobe has one MVP he basically has had seasons where he fit all of the requirements but still only ended up with one. It doesn't make sense that his individual points and titles don't match his MVP collection. :disagree:

Unless LeBron surpasses both Kobe and MJ in championships then he won't surpass them.
Image
User avatar
Texas Lakers Fan

 
Posts: 5438
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 am

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 am

^ Well they brought up the LeBron is better than Jordan discussion again.
Image
User avatar
Jazzygirl205

 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:LeBron is more dominate than anyone else in the league, if he can extend his career further when his knees and age begin to fight one another for first place and still put up consistent numbers, would you all agree he'd be better than Kobe and MJ? It was hard for Kobe to extend his career he had to keep conditioning himself, he became a perimeter shooter as soon as he hit mid to late 20's because he knew he didn't have the same athletic ability anymore. I'm still salty Kobe has one MVP he basically has had seasons where he fit all of the requirements but still only ended up with one. It doesn't make sense that his individual points and titles don't match his MVP collection. :disagree:


Au contraire, Kobe actually started adding to his post game and footwork when he started to lose his athleticism. Adding spin moves, left handed shots, the dirk fadeaway. Kobe didn't have the same ability to drive past his defender anymore, or rise above some, but he was still able to find ways to outsmart, outwork his defender.

That's what makes Kobe great, that's what a lot of fairweather fans tend to miss in terms of Kobe's development as a player throughout his career. Players like Magic and MJ were just generally great players, the skills they possessed carried them through their careers. What we saw with Kobe through his career with the Lakers was special. We got to see an 18 year old kid add bits in pieces to his game to make him one of the greatest of all time. People may call him a ball hog or whatever, I call that a role model.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby kray28 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:19 am

Kobe's Dirk fadeaway is better than Dirk's Dirk fadeaway.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21247
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Finwë on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 am

Weezy wrote:I agree that LeBron is the best right now, and I also agree that the media gushes a little too much over him. Passing the ball really quickly across court because you don't want to/can't shoot 3's doesn't make it a good or amazing pass, it just makes it a pass. He has amazing athleticism, the way he gets to the rim can be amazing, but he still takes some ugly freakin shots. He had one 'fadeaway' just outside the key that was ugly, and yeah he hit a big 3, but then I believe he airballed one not too long after that. He's a great player, but he's not super skilled and his game to me at least, is not that smooth or nice to watch, I think Durant is a way more fun to watch scorer, reminds me way more of Kobe.

Exactly the way I feel, which is why I cringe when they call him "the most talented player in the L". You want to call him the best player? OK, I'll give you that, based on production and consistency. But most talented? Nope.
Outside of his athletic ability (which in my book isn't talent but rather a combination of luck -being born with it- and other factors; would it be fair to call Shaq "talented" because he was able to just back people down with his huge body?), he's only above average in one area: passing. I'll give him that, he's a great passer. Is he "the best passer outside of Steve Nash" like Bayless calls him? NO. Rondo, Jason Kidd, CP3, Deron Williams, Manu Ginobili are all guys who have more "passing ability" if you ask me...
It's like this: give Kobe LeBron's body and you have the GOAT and it's not even close. Now, give LeBron Kobe's body and you have a good player, but nothing that special, maybe a 2-time all-star.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Finwë wrote:
Weezy wrote:I agree that LeBron is the best right now, and I also agree that the media gushes a little too much over him. Passing the ball really quickly across court because you don't want to/can't shoot 3's doesn't make it a good or amazing pass, it just makes it a pass. He has amazing athleticism, the way he gets to the rim can be amazing, but he still takes some ugly freakin shots. He had one 'fadeaway' just outside the key that was ugly, and yeah he hit a big 3, but then I believe he airballed one not too long after that. He's a great player, but he's not super skilled and his game to me at least, is not that smooth or nice to watch, I think Durant is a way more fun to watch scorer, reminds me way more of Kobe.

Exactly the way I feel, which is why I cringe when they call him "the most talented player in the L". You want to call him the best player? OK, I'll give you that, based on production and consistency. But most talented? Nope.
Outside of his athletic ability (which in my book isn't talent but rather a combination of luck -being born with it- and other factors; would it be fair to call Shaq "talented" because he was able to just back people down with his huge body?), he's only above average in one area: passing. I'll give him that, he's a great passer. Is he "the best passer outside of Steve Nash" like Bayless calls him? NO. Rondo, Jason Kidd, CP3, Deron Williams, Manu Ginobili are all guys who have more "passing ability" if you ask me...
It's like this: give Kobe LeBron's body and you have the GOAT and it's not even close. Now, give LeBron Kobe's body and you have a good player, but nothing that special, maybe a 2-time all-star.

I think that's where the distinction between talent and skill comes into play though. No one will ever call LeBron the most SKILLED player, and if they do, they're idiots.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
User avatar
Scnottaken

 
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Re: God I hate ESPN

Postby Finwë on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Scnottaken wrote:
Finwë wrote:
Weezy wrote:I agree that LeBron is the best right now, and I also agree that the media gushes a little too much over him. Passing the ball really quickly across court because you don't want to/can't shoot 3's doesn't make it a good or amazing pass, it just makes it a pass. He has amazing athleticism, the way he gets to the rim can be amazing, but he still takes some ugly freakin shots. He had one 'fadeaway' just outside the key that was ugly, and yeah he hit a big 3, but then I believe he airballed one not too long after that. He's a great player, but he's not super skilled and his game to me at least, is not that smooth or nice to watch, I think Durant is a way more fun to watch scorer, reminds me way more of Kobe.

Exactly the way I feel, which is why I cringe when they call him "the most talented player in the L". You want to call him the best player? OK, I'll give you that, based on production and consistency. But most talented? Nope.
Outside of his athletic ability (which in my book isn't talent but rather a combination of luck -being born with it- and other factors; would it be fair to call Shaq "talented" because he was able to just back people down with his huge body?), he's only above average in one area: passing. I'll give him that, he's a great passer. Is he "the best passer outside of Steve Nash" like Bayless calls him? NO. Rondo, Jason Kidd, CP3, Deron Williams, Manu Ginobili are all guys who have more "passing ability" if you ask me...
It's like this: give Kobe LeBron's body and you have the GOAT and it's not even close. Now, give LeBron Kobe's body and you have a good player, but nothing that special, maybe a 2-time all-star.

I think that's where the distinction between talent and skill comes into play though. No one will ever call LeBron the most SKILLED player, and if they do, they're idiots.

What's the difference between talent and skill by your understanding?
I don't see anyway to call LeBron the most talented player in the league.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.