Hang in there Laker fans.

Re: Hang in there Laker fans.

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:47 am

I really don't see a reason to be optimistic for the mid term future ... our organization is poorly run for a couple of seasons ... dark times are coming
wcsoldier81

Postby noobiew on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:07 am

chingy248 wrote:When can we shoot the Mitch/Robert Sacre Backstage Lakers Promo?

In the next episode of the Backstage Lakers, General Manager Mitch Kupchak points to the Lakers championship banner retired replica jersey's on the wall and told Sacre : "I want to see your jersey hanging in the rafters in ten years from now"
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:12 am

chingy248 wrote:When can we shoot the Mitch/Robert Sacre Backstage Lakers Promo?

Well " Backstage Lakers" isn't going to stay on TV for a long time if our FO doesn't quickly wake up
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:18 am

noobiew wrote:

In the next episode of the Backstage Lakers, General Manager Mitch Kupchak points to the Lakers championship banner retired replica jersey's on the wall and told Sacre : "I want to see your jersey hanging in the rafters in ten years from now"

point to the rafters? more like point to the laundry hamper :man10: :man10: :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Snake Eyes on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:30 am

You're right, we'll be alright. Lakers might be average to poor next season, but you got to look at the big picture. The Lakers are a team that defines greatness. We can amnesty Nash next July and we'll have our entire books open for free agents and the draft. Maybe Mitch can waive that magic wand and get us Jabari Parker or something. We'll make a run with what we got, and then rebuild from there. Our "dark age" might only last one season. Once we have a young core, we'll struggle as players learn, but we'll be salivating at their potential. Then before we know it, we'll be contenders. Many franchises would probably like to be in our shoes next summer.
Snake Eyes

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:42 am

Snake Eyes wrote:You're right, we'll be alright. Lakers might be average to poor next season, but you got to look at the big picture. The Lakers are a team that defines greatness. We can amnesty Nash next July and we'll have our entire books open for free agents and the draft. Maybe Mitch can waive that magic wand and get us Jabari Parker or something. We'll make a run with what we got, and then rebuild from there. Our "dark age" might only last one season. Once we have a young core, we'll struggle as players learn, but we'll be salivating at their potential. Then before we know it, we'll be contenders. Many franchises would probably like to be in our shoes next summer.

Can't amnesty Nash, we can only amnesty players that were on our roster when the amnesty provision was created, or on our roster that previous season, whatever it was. Amnesty candidates would be MWP and Pau, Nash is not possible.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:48 am

Going to be honest once again here - the Lakers run by Jerry Buss, the greatest owner in sports, were the consummate organization. But the Doctor's not here running the show any more. People were saying during this Dwightmare that Mitch and Jim had it all handled and that we should have more faith in them. But just like the Rudy T hiring, just like the Mike Brown hiring and firing, just like the D' Antoni hiring and the Phil dissing, Jim Buss has flat out failed again. We had more money for Howard, his max endorsements were here and we're LA and yet we weren't able to convince him to stay here. That's never happened before in Laker history. It's a dubious distinction for us. Having been a Laker fan for about 35 years now I can say that this absolutely would not have gone down this way under Jerry Buss.

I've given Jim Buss some credit for some of his personnel moves these past few years. But as far as running the show, the larger picture? The guy has struck out. I'm not seeing how or when this is going to start improving. This is a different person in charge. He's not a genius like his father was. And his decision making is suspect.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:49 am

Don't feel bad at all. However, I do feel bad for Nash. I really wanted us to win one for him. Class act all around.
borri

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:51 am

Lakerjones wrote:Going to be honest once again here - the Lakers run by Jerry Buss, the greatest owner in sports, were the consummate organization. But the Doctor's not here running the show any more. People were saying during this Dwightmare that Mitch and Jim had it all handled and that we should have more faith in them. But just like the Rudy T hiring, just like the Mike Brown hiring and firing, just like the D' Antoni hiring and the Phil dissing, Jim Buss has flat out failed again. We had more money for Howard, his max endorsements were here and we're LA and yet we weren't able to convince him to stay here. That's never happened before in Laker history. It's a dubious distinction for us. Having been a Laker fan for about 35 years now I can say that this absolutely would not have gone down this way under Jerry Buss.

I've given Jim Buss some credit for some of his personnel moves these past few years. But as far as running the show, the larger picture? The guy has struck out. I'm not seeing how or when this is going to start improving. This is a different person in charge. He's not a genius like his father was. And his decision making is suspect.

he also doesn't have a very good personality compared to his dad. the times i've heard him on the radio, sure he's sounded like an okay guy. but far from charming, engaging, or magnetic. i can totally see him mucking up the meeting with d12. add to that a coach you don't like who doesn't say a word...yeaaaaaa.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:57 am

Lakerjones wrote:Going to be honest once again here - the Lakers run by Jerry Buss, the greatest owner in sports, were the consummate organization. But the Doctor's not here running the show any more. People were saying during this Dwightmare that Mitch and Jim had it all handled and that we should have more faith in them. But just like the Rudy T hiring, just like the Mike Brown hiring and firing, just like the D' Antoni hiring and the Phil dissing, Jim Buss has flat out failed again. We had more money for Howard, his max endorsements were here and we're LA and yet we weren't able to convince him to stay here. That's never happened before in Laker history. It's a dubious distinction for us. Having been a Laker fan for about 35 years now I can say that this absolutely would not have gone down this way under Jerry Buss.

I share pretty much the same feelings on Jim. I don't have a lot of faith in the Lakers FO right now, it just doesn't have the same feel to me, and I keep feeling like Jerry leaving Jim in charge of the basketball side of things might have been a mistake. I think Jerry was smart to have very qualified guys around him to make good decisions as well as being smart himself, I feel more like Jim wants to do things his way rather than bring in people that really WANT to help, like Phil.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 am

^^ Agreed.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snake Eyes on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:11 am

Weezy wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:You're right, we'll be alright. Lakers might be average to poor next season, but you got to look at the big picture. The Lakers are a team that defines greatness. We can amnesty Nash next July and we'll have our entire books open for free agents and the draft. Maybe Mitch can waive that magic wand and get us Jabari Parker or something. We'll make a run with what we got, and then rebuild from there. Our "dark age" might only last one season. Once we have a young core, we'll struggle as players learn, but we'll be salivating at their potential. Then before we know it, we'll be contenders. Many franchises would probably like to be in our shoes next summer.

Can't amnesty Nash, we can only amnesty players that were on our roster when the amnesty provision was created, or on our roster that previous season, whatever it was. Amnesty candidates would be MWP and Pau, Nash is not possible.

Ah, dang I totally forgot about that! Thanks, Weezy. Well, we could always trade Nash to get him off the books.
Snake Eyes

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:16 am

I totally disagree on the Dwight front. I don't think this was Jim Buss mishandling ANYTHING.

What happened to you guys? For the last week we were all adamant that if Dwight left he was a coward and now we're allowing him to split blame with Jim Buss? Jim Buss didn't do anything majorly wrong besides NOT backdown from the demands of a LESS THAN NUMBER ONE OPTION. Jim played this RIGHT.

Dwight is the one who left fame, fortune, and the winningest franchise in the NBA for a s***hole in Texas. That's on him, not the Lakers.

Just wait until he realizes exactly how much money he's NOT making in Houston and the Championships he's NOT winning there. He'll ask to be traded again to New York or the Clippers.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:18 am

I hate Jimbo but this was all on Dwight, he just didn't fit here. We're better off in the long run.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:27 am

therealdeal wrote:I totally disagree on the Dwight front. I don't think this was Jim Buss mishandling ANYTHING.

What happened to you guys? For the last week we were all adamant that if Dwight left he was a coward and now we're allowing him to split blame with Jim Buss? Jim Buss didn't do anything majorly wrong besides NOT backdown from the demands of a LESS THAN NUMBER ONE OPTION. Jim played this RIGHT.

Dwight is the one who left fame, fortune, and the winningest franchise in the NBA for a s***hole in Texas. That's on him, not the Lakers.

Just wait until he realizes exactly how much money he's NOT making in Houston and the Championships he's NOT winning there. He'll ask to be traded again to New York or the Clippers.

Do you not remember that I said this very week that I couldn't understand why D' Antoni was going to be a part of the pitch meeting? When Howard had intimated so many times already this season and post season that he wasn't happy with D' Antoni?

If they wanted to KEEP Howard, I said it was a bizarre way to do it. I knew it was going to continue to be an issue for him, because it was out in the open. The Lakers FO kept ignoring it as if it wasn't, but that wasn't the case. If they wanted to keep Howard, it was a bad play on their part. There's no two ways about it.

Sure it was Dwight's decision to leave, that's his right and it was also a mistake on his part in my opinion. I'm not saying he's not a punk for doing it. But if we wanted him to stay it was a boneheaded way to try and persuade him.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:40 am

Two problems LJ.

1. D'Antoni is the head coach and if he wasn't at the presentation, our presentation would have looked ridiculous.

2. The Lakers clearly were not enamored with Howard. If they were, their recruitment method would not have been so, at times, confrontational. We dared him to leave and I firmly believe it's because the Lakers weren't sold on him being our future. So they put him to the test of "if you're our man of the future, you'll pick us despite these problems, you'll pick us because you WANT this and you have faith."

He didn't. He failed the test.

I agree that Dwight leaving had to do with the Lakers not addressing D'Antoni and I APPLAUD them for that. They basically said to him "you're our future BUT YOU HAVE TO WANT IT."

Dwight didn't even ASK for D'Antoni to be fired. If he WANTED it and told the Lakers he'd stay if they did it and they said "f*** off" that's one thing. He never asked. It's because it didn't matter. He didn't want to be here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:42 am

therealdeal wrote:I totally disagree on the Dwight front. I don't think this was Jim Buss mishandling ANYTHING.

*something good happens* "Mitch and his wand man!" / *something bad happens* "Jim Buss man, he's destroying the Lakers"
So annoying, just worn out
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:46 am

Finwë wrote:

*something good happens* "Mitch and his wand man!" / *something bad happens* "Jim Buss man, he's destroying the Lakers"

It is.

But to some people's credit (Weezy and LJ come to mind immediately) Jim gets credit for ROSTER moves, but gets smashed for coaching decisions.

I think that's what bugs me about Jim getting a hard time for this. Jim is very good at roster moves. He had a hand in drafting Bynum. He had a hand in trading for Gasol. He had a hand in trading for Chris Paul. He had a hand in trading for Steve Nash. He had a hand in trading for Dwight Howard (right move at the time and a good gamble). The dude along with Mitch knows how to handle GETTING good players here.

Coaching decisions? Yeah, he struggles there. I don't think he grasps what a good coach is yet, but the era is still young. Dr. Buss struck out on a LOT of bad coaches. Give the guy some time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:39 am

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:

It is.

But to some people's credit (Weezy and LJ come to mind immediately) Jim gets credit for ROSTER moves, but gets smashed for coaching decisions.

I think that's what bugs me about Jim getting a hard time for this. Jim is very good at roster moves. He had a hand in drafting Bynum. He had a hand in trading for Gasol. He had a hand in trading for Chris Paul. He had a hand in trading for Steve Nash. He had a hand in trading for Dwight Howard (right move at the time and a good gamble). The dude along with Mitch knows how to handle GETTING good players here.

Coaching decisions? Yeah, he struggles there. I don't think he grasps what a good coach is yet, but the era is still young. Dr. Buss struck out on a LOT of bad coaches. Give the guy some time.

I don't think he really gets credit for roster moves. Mitch gets credit for roster moves. Jim very, very rarely gets props. Which is unfair IMO, especially when it goes the other way around when it's time to blame somebody for a bad move.
Also, like I wrote on a longer post in another thread, why do we exclusively blame Jim for the coaching hires? Where's the evidence that they were his choices alone? Every bit of actual reporting said that Mitch, Jim AND Jerry made those decisions. And again, if people are doubting that, I want them to answer this:
Was Dr. Buss the type of man / owner that would not only let his son make a coaching hire he didn't really agree with / approve of, but would ALSO let the media go out and tell everyone that it was HIS (jerry's) decision and not Jim's (basically lie)? "No" is my answer. So we need to admit that the FO effed up with their coaching hires, and stop just blaming the new guy purely and exclusively.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Thenextgreat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:25 am

You can't let a player control your organization....though I strongly disagreed with the hiring of MDA.... I would of also disagreed with the firing of MDA to keep Howard....Kobe issues him a challenge and he runs....that says enough about him for me....good luck to him
Thenextgreat

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:09 am

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:

It is.

I don't think he really gets credit for roster moves. Mitch gets credit for roster moves. Jim very, very rarely gets props. Which is unfair IMO, especially when it goes the other way around when it's time to blame somebody for a bad move.
Also, like I wrote on a longer post in another thread, why do we exclusively blame Jim for the coaching hires? Where's the evidence that they were his choices alone? Every bit of actual reporting said that Mitch, Jim AND Jerry made those decisions. And again, if people are doubting that, I want them to answer this:
Was Dr. Buss the type of man / owner that would not only let his son make a coaching hire he didn't really agree with / approve of, but would ALSO let the media go out and tell everyone that it was HIS (jerry's) decision and not Jim's (basically lie)? "No" is my answer. So we need to admit that the FO effed up with their coaching hires, and stop just blaming the new guy purely and exclusively.

While I mostly agree with you, I think there's strong evidence behind Jim hiring Mike Brown. If I remember correctly, Jim was the only one in the interview and then he convinced Mitch and his father to sign off on it. D'Antoni? I wouldn't put all on Jim's shoulders because I think that was to appease his dying father.

Now though? He should have been fired unless it was the Lakers' plan to stink this season.

And the fact that he SHOULD have been fired, I'll put that blame on Jim since he's the President.

I agree though with all of your other points.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:20 am

Hes gonna play better there because he's gonna be healthier, he'll have more continuity and he'll feel less pressure...but I dont think that will translate to deeper player runs. But I think he'll play better there in 2013/2014 than he did here in LA in 2012/2013

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 am

Well he obviously should. He'll be healthier and he'll be a situation that he enjoys.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dmaul on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 am

Yup, I'm gonna hang in there but let's be honest, this is going to be a real rough stretch. We're headed for a drought here. The entire climate has changed and we have not yet adapted. No more free spending and relying on big fish free agent catches. We have to start behaving like the other 25 something teams in this league and do what they do when they suck - slowly rebuild through the draft. And since we've given away so many 1st round picks lately this is going to take longer than usual.

Not all teams have started to feel the real implications of the CBA, because they were put together under the old CBA, but they're going to start feeling it soon. And when they do, I wonder if the owners will realize a mistake they made in hamstringing themselves. It was all a power play to wrest control from the players but in the process they've also made their jobs harder as owners and GMs, to build a team.
dmaul

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion