Happy Birthday, Magic Johnson!

Happy Birthday, Magic Johnson!

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 am

Today, the Magic Man turns 55 years young. Happy birthday, Earvin!

Kobe8Fan

Re: Happy Birthday, Magic Johnson!

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:02 pm

My favorite all time player. I grew up watching him in the Showtime days. It was just amazing watching him every night, dazzle the crowd and put on a show. Not to mention his charisma and leadership. Everyone loved Magic.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby lotus on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:17 pm

I'm sure I was at that game. The only guy to score on that team was Reggie Theus. Felt bad for him. ha What great years at the Fabulous Forum thanks to Showtime.
lotus

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:27 pm

I remember one game we were up like 37-4 to start the game. I think it was against Sac. It was amazing to be that good. To know that every year, we had a legit shot at winning it all.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby gcclaker on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Happy Double Nickel to Johnson. Glad to have witnessed The Showtime era. Nine trips, five chips. One choke job in 1984, two losses were due to team wide injuries in 1983 [Worthy, Nixon, McAdoo] and 1989 [Scott and Johnson]...aging squad in 1991 though Scott and Worthy were out too. Should have been at least a Lucky Seven...maybe a Great Eight.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:52 am

Happy birthday to the best that ever did it.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby trodgers on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:55 am

I don't think I would be a Lakers fan if it weren't for Magic. Happy B-day.

I'll post Quincy Troupe's homage to Magic...

“A Poem for Magic”

Quincy Troupe

take it to the hoop, “magic” johnson,
take the ball dazzling down the open lane
herk & jerk & raise your six-feet, nine-inch frame
into the air sweating screams of your neon name
“magic” johnson, nicknamed “windex” way back
in high school
cause you wiped glass backboards
so clean, where you first juked and shook
wiled your way to glory
a new-style fusion of shake-&-bake
energy, using everything possible, you created your own
space to fly through--any moment now
we expect your wings to spread feathers for that spooky takeoff
of yours--then, shake & glide & ride up in space
till you hammer home a clothes-lining deuce off glass
now, come back down with a reverse hoodoo gem
off the spin & stick in sweet, popping nets clean
from twenty feet, right side

put the ball on the floor again, “magic”
slide the dribble behind your back, ease it deftly
between your bony stork legs, head bobbing everwhichaway
up & down, you see everything on the court
off the high yoyo patter
stop & go dribble
you thread a needle-rope pass sweet home
to kareem cutting through the lane
his skyhook pops the cords
now, lead the fast break, hit worthy on the fly
now, blindside a pinpoint behind-the-back pass for two more
off the fake, looking the other way, you raise off-balance
into electric space
sweating chants of your name
turn, 180 degrees off the move, your legs scissoring space
like a swimmer’s yoyoing motion in deep water
stretching out now toward free flight
you double-pump through human trees
hang in place
slip the ball into your left hand
then deal it like a las vegas card dealer off squared glass
into nets, living up to your singular nickname
so “bad” you cartwheel the crowd toward frenzy
wearing now your electric smile, neon as your name

in victory, we suddenly sense your glorious uplift
your urgent need to be champion
& so we cheer with you, rejoice with you
for this quicksilver, quicksilver,

quicksilver moment of fame
so put the ball on the floor again, “magic”
juke & dazzle, shake & bake down the lane
take the sucker to the hoop, “magic” johnson,
recreate reverse hoodoo gems off the spin
deal alley-oop dunkathon magician passes
now, double-pump, scissor, vamp through space
hang in place
& put it all up in the sucker’s face, “magic” johnson,
& deal the roundball like the juju man that you am
like the sho-nuff shaman that you am, “magic,”
like the sho-nuff spaceman you am
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 am

gcclaker wrote:Happy Double Nickel to Johnson. Glad to have witnessed The Showtime era. Nine trips, five chips. One choke job in 1984, two losses were due to team wide injuries in 1983 [Worthy, Nixon, McAdoo] and 1989 [Scott and Johnson]...aging squad in 1991 though Scott and Worthy were out too. Should have been at least a Lucky Seven...maybe a Great Eight.

I disagree about us in 1989. The Pistons pushed us to 7 games the year before and that was with Isiah out in game 7. And yet, they still pushed us to the limit in game 7. Who knows what the outcome would've been had Isiah been healthy for game 7.

I just think that it was the Pistons time in 1989. They were a team on the rise. And even at full strength, I think they would've beaten us. They had HCA in 1989 (which we didn't have in 1988), winning 6 more regular season games than us.

Of course if you disagree, that's fine.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:15 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Happy Double Nickel to Johnson. Glad to have witnessed The Showtime era. Nine trips, five chips. One choke job in 1984, two losses were due to team wide injuries in 1983 [Worthy, Nixon, McAdoo] and 1989 [Scott and Johnson]...aging squad in 1991 though Scott and Worthy were out too. Should have been at least a Lucky Seven...maybe a Great Eight.

I disagree about us in 1989. The Pistons pushed us to 7 games the year before and that was with Isiah out in game 7. And yet, they still pushed us to the limit in game 7. Who knows what the outcome would've been had Isiah been healthy for game 7.

I just think that it was the Pistons time in 1989. They were a team on the rise. And even at full strength, I think they would've beaten us. They had HCA in 1989 (which we didn't have in 1988), winning 6 more regular season games than us.

1989? Possibly... The Lakers were driven that year wanting to send Abdul-Jabbar off with a ring plus Riley had driven it into their collective heads all that Detroit "woulda, coulda shoulda" whining. Scott snapped his hamstring during a rebounding drill prior to the series. He was the team's leading scorer at 18 per game. They had to replace that with Tony Campbell...a mediocre scorer at best and terrible defensively.

In 1988, in Game 7 Thomas was not out as you claimed. He played but did struggle.

Had Johnson not contracted HIV and his career cut prematurely, it would have been intriguing how much more he would have accomplished.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:35 am

gcclaker wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:

1989? Possibly... The Lakers were driven that year wanting to send Abdul-Jabbar off with a ring plus Riley had driven it into their collective heads all that Detroit "woulda, coulda shoulda" whining. Scott snapped his hamstring during a rebounding drill prior to the series. He was the team's leading scorer at 18 per game. They had to replace that with Tony Campbell...a mediocre scorer at best and terrible defensively.

In 1988, in Game 7 Thomas was not out as you claimed. He played but did struggle.

Had Johnson not contracted HIV and his career cut prematurely, it would have been intriguing how much more he would have accomplished.

You're right, he did play game 7 but he was ineffective due to his severe ankle sprain. His performance in the 3rd quarter of game 6 was maybe the best performance ever for a one quarter period. That was some legendary stuff.

But the 1988 Pistons won 54 games and the 1989 Pistons won 63 games. So they improved by 9 games. On the flip side, the Lakers won 62 games in 1988 and won 57 games in 1989. So that's further evidence, at least to me, that the Pistons were a team on the rise.

I'm content with 5 rings in 9 finals appearances. Especially given the fact that it was clearly the toughest era in history. With so many great teams competing, someone had to lose and only 1 team could win every year. To win 5 is amazing.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:37 am

The Magic Man was one of a kind. :bow:

I'm very glad he's still here with us today. 5 rings in 9 Finals, all in 12 years of playing. Now that is insane. And he was one heck of a leader.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 am

@LGL, Detroit did make significant strides that year 1989. The Lakers however gained serious momentum the last part of the regular season. They swept through the first three rounds...none were cupcakes. By then, it would have been close. I really liked their chances in that series.

Other than his playmaking abilities, one overlooked aspect of Johnson's total game was his rebounding. Few guards of his size can take a ball of the glass, look up or power out to lead the break. Add to the fact that he can navigate the floor against quicker backcourt opponents or in some instances, forwards of any size that want to slow him down. The ONLY players I ever saw that made him labor up the court were Dennis Johnson, Dennis Rodman and Scottie Pippen.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:52 am

gcclaker wrote:@LGL, Detroit did make significant strides that year 1989. The Lakers however gained serious momentum the last part of the regular season. They swept through the first three rounds...none were cupcakes. By then, it would have been close. I really liked their chances in that series.

Other than his playmaking abilities, one overlooked aspect of Johnson's total game was his rebounding. Few guards of his size can take a ball of the glass, look up or power out to lead the break. Add to the fact that he can navigate the floor against quicker backcourt opponents or in some instances, forwards of any size that want to slow him down. The ONLY players I ever saw that made him labor up the court were Dennis Johnson, Dennis Rodman and Scottie Pippen.

Pippen really earned his money in the 1991 finals when he started to D up Magic full court starting from game 2. He really made Magic work and by the time he got into the offense, a lot of the time clock had already expired. That changed the complexion of the series. We won a close one in game 1, in Chicago, But lost the next 4 straight. I think a lot to do with the adjustment of Pippen guarding Magic and harassing him.

I still think Chicago was the better team and they would've beaten us had Pippen not guarded Magic but I think it might've gone 6 or 7 games.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Toklat on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:42 pm

In that particular series Pippen was allowed to foul and hold Magic far beyond what was normally allowed even for that era. That is what changed the series. Now Worthy playing either Pippen guards him and Magic is released or Worthy kills his opponent. Pippen ran around humping Magic's leg through that entire series. I can remember all of us watching those games just amazed at what was allowed. Go back and watch some of those games...lol
Toklat

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Toklat wrote:In that particular series Pippen was allowed to foul and hold Magic far beyond what was normally allowed even for that era. That is what changed the series. Now Worthy playing either Pippen guards him and Magic is released or Worthy kills his opponent. Pippen ran around humping Magic's leg through that entire series. I can remember all of us watching those games just amazed at what was allowed. Go back and watch some of those games...lol

One thing is for sure, if Pippen tried what he did today, he would've fouled out in the 1st quarter. LOL. That type of physicality is not allowed in today's soft game.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:09 am

Currently watching "The Announcement"... From 11/7/91 to the present. Bittersweet.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Discussion