Jordan Hill Discussion: Struggling in the new season

Re: Jordan Hill Discussion: Cleared to play (66)

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm

When he fell for that loose ball, not going to lie I was scared. But he got up and played the rest of the game no problem.....

So play his a**. :man2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:37 pm

I feel like this year's just been one large revolving door. One person comes back from injury and one person gets injured.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:54 pm

looked good considering. hope he actually gets minutes next game. at home, with his energy on both ends, we'll need him and im sure hell contribute more than clark.
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:07 am

I know it's easy for us to say "PLAY HIM!" but now we're messing a lot with any of that consistency we had going into the playoffs. We threw Nash back in. We're trying to throw Jordan in. We're trying to integrate Glock a little bit... That's difficult.

But I thought as far as Jordan's game went he played pretty well. You could tell he's not even remotely in shape, but in just about five minutes he gave us 2/2. That's money right there. In ten minutes when he's healthy he should really be good for 4/4 with a block or a steal. At least with the way he plays.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:38 pm

I don't want to go another season of him getting throw in minutes. When he plays he produces and it's a big boost to the team. He needs 25 minutes a game next year without question.

If MDA won't play him, get a coach that will.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 am

I love Jordan. I thought he showed good energy upon his return. When Dwight gets into foul trouble, he's a great piece to have. In today's athletic NBA, I think he can hold his own.

Next season he'll be one of the players I look forward to the most.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm glad he's finally healthy but I just hope it stays that way. I love his game and I won't be as angry when Dwight gets into foul trouble next season (if he returns) since we'll have Hill backing him up.
XXIV

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm

He's right behind Dwight on the list of players I hope are still on the roster next season. Hopefully we bring Earl back too & throw an athletic starting SF next to them & watch some great defense & rebounding.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:03 pm

And this is why I got a man crush on this guy....

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 5m
Asked Hill about his best position: "I just want to play ... rebound, defend, shoot the ball: just put me out there and let me go to work."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Doc Brown wrote:And this is why I got a man crush on this guy....

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 5m
Asked Hill about his best position: "I just want to play ... rebound, defend, shoot the ball: just put me out there and let me go to work."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 pm

We need more role players like him. He knows his role, and he does it well. We need more guys like him on this roster.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am

BUMP:

I FINALLY found video evidence of Jordan Hill's fantastic block on Kevin Durant in the 2011 Playoffs. This was an AMAZING play and it wasn't replayed during the game and has been widely swept under rug. Jordan shows flashes of this kind of defense/hustle that really bodes well for his ability as an energy producer. If he could stay healthy, I'd have no problem giving him major minutes moving forward.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:57 am

One more...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 am

My dude. Get this guy a no trade clause immediately. :jam2:
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 am

I love this kid....
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:29 pm

With all the injuries with the team, this one hurt just as much as Nash/Pau/Dwight...
JLaker17

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:01 pm

It's time to let the big dog eat. Big season coming up for the Predator.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm excited to see a full season of Hill. He has been 15/13 per 36 since coming to the Lakers. If he can manage 10 and 8, that would be nice - but given his motor I think he will surprise us.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby kobe_mamba on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:59 pm

I said this at the time of the trade with J-Hill when many thought he was just a throw in, but dude can flat out play and I was thrilled when he came over in that trade. Love his game and have followed him since he was at the Rockets, where he started at C quite a bit.

I really hope MDA plays him, either as starting 4 or one of the key bigs off the bench :jam2:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Stay healthy, please. We need hustle and boards more than ever now with Dwight and Clark gone.

And if you commit less than two boneheaded and-1 fouls a game, that would be progress. :jam2:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni suggests Jordan Hill will receive more playing time
Posted on November 2, 2013 by Mark Medina
Time and time again, Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni buries Jordan Hill on his depth chart because he doesn’t fit the so-called stretch four position that calls for a forward that can shoot and space the floor.

But time and time again, Hill makes D’Antoni slightly change his sentiments by providing endless hustle plays on defense and rebounding.

Hill sat until the fourth quarter of the Lakers’ 91-85 loss Friday to the San Antonio Spurs at Staples Center. Once Hill entered the floor, he posted five points and four rebounds for nearly an entire period. That prompted D’Antoni to suggest after Saturday’s practice that Hill will have a larger role as he figures out his front court depth chart because of his “great energy.”

“That would be the obvious,” D’Antoni said. “But if you talk to everybody else, they’ll say what about me? What about me? We have a lot of guys. That’s what happens. You have a lot of guys unhappy. I might have to get to the point where two of them are ticked off at me and eight of them love me.”

Hill has appeared remarkably efficient, entering the Lakers’ game Sunday against the Atlanta Hawks at Staples Center averaging 6.3 points on 69.2 percent shooting and 6.3 rebounds in only 14 minutes of play. But with the Lakers losing their past two games, D’Antoni sounded more open in providing more clarity in a bloated front-court position.

Unlike last season, D’Antoni’s not changing the role for Pau Gasol, who’s averaging a team-leading 15.7 points on 46.2 percent shooting and 10.3 rebounds partly because he’s featured more at center. Shawne Williams has continue to start at power forward despite averaging two points on 20 percent shooting. Wesley Johnson has become a dependable defender, including holding Blake Griffin scoreless in the fourth quarter of the Lakers’ season-opening win against the Clippers. Chris Kaman posted two double-digit efforts in his first week back since suffering a week-long stomach ailment, but he posted only four points against the Spurs.

Hill’s only challenge involves convincing D’Antoni somehow to play him.

“It’s not my decision how many minutes I get. I just want to go out there and produce when I’m out there with those minutes,” Hill said. “[D'Antoni] will do what he feels is best for how the game goes. Whenever he calls my name, I’ll continue to do what I do.”

Hill’s navigated this issue plenty of times.

He opened his career with the New York Knicks under D’Antoni in a somewhat precarious position. After averaging only four points in 25 minutes through 24 games in New York at the beginning of the 2008-9 season, Hill was then traded to the Houston Rockets with Jared Jefferies before the trade deadline as part of a three-team deal that resulted in the Rockets’ Tracy McGrady going to the Knicks. Last season, D’Antoni sat Hill for three consecutive games in favor of Antawn Jamison’s scoring, but soon changed his sentiments. But Hill eventually suffered a season-ending hip injury in early January that required surgery and sidelined him for 53 games.

Hill has reported his hip to feel fully healthy. But he’s still trying to figure out how to crack D’Antoni’s rotation consistently.

“It’s frustrating definitely,” Hill said. “But I just stay ready. That’s all I can do. It’ll come. I’ll stay ready.”

Underneath Hill’s frustration, he outlined in pretty clear terms that he will stay ready by providing the game he prefers. He devoted plenty of his offseason to work on his mid-range jumper after both D’Antoni and Kobe Bryant separately encouraged him to do so. But he has developed a niche with the Lakers for the past 2 1/2 seasons for his never-ending energy.

“I’m trying to focus on what I do best, rebounds, putbacks, defending and running hte floor,” Hill said. “When my shot’s open, I’m going to take it. Whenever i feel like it’s a good shot for us, I’ll take it. But I’m not trying to focus on that. The main reason is we have shooters out there. I’ll do the tough guy role basically.”

Assuming Hill plays of course.

This is what is going to tick me off long term about this. Hill is a young guy that no matter what he says, he wants to be on the court playing. If MDA keeps sticking him at the end of the bench, there is nothing stopping him from leaving next year and taking a spot where he can get consistent playing time.

We should be doing everything we can this year to get Hill, Farmar, Henry, Johnson, Young to grow as players, so that when next year rolls around we are 1 or 2 pieces away, instead of needing to sign a whole team.

Instead we are playing the guys (Nash,Pau,Blake) that should not be here next year and stunting the growth of all our younger players. The worst part is, the young guys are playing better than them and are still getting the shaft in terms of playing time. Are we winning or our we looking towards the future? It seems we could be doing both if MDA wasn't worried about making players that are way past their primes mad about playing time.
Doc Brown

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:11 pm

jordan needs to be playing 25 minutes a game. his energy and ability to get to those 50/50 balls is invaluable.

i don't understand mda. he has a young PF who does all the dirty work, and he doesn't want to give him regular rotation minutes. then last year, he has a stretch 4 in jamison and he rides the pine for 4 or 5 games straight.
Pig Miller

Postby John3:16 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:08 pm

IMO, he's our best player through 3 games. Only one playing like a man in the paint.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:49 pm

This D'Antoni love/hate relationship with Jordan Hill is simply mind boggling.

Yes, I know Hill doesn't fit D'Antoni's system, but Farmar didn't fit the triangle that well either when he was with us, and that didn't stop Phil from using him. Why? Because Farmar was talented, and he was productive despite his mistakes and awkward fit in the offense.

That's what separates coaches like Phil and guys like D'Antoni.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:49 pm

John3:16 wrote:IMO, he's our best player through 3 games. Only one playing like a man in the paint.

Hill will likely be the Lakers' best rebounder, and certainly their bet offensive rebounder.
He needs more minutes.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion