Horace Talks Kobe, Shaq, & 2001 Lakers, '91 Bulls and More

Horace Talks Kobe, Shaq, & 2001 Lakers, '91 Bulls and More

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:56 am

Great stuff right here folks with Horace. Recommend to all.

18:47-20:25 - Compares Kobe and Penny.

20:25-21:44 - Compares Kobe and Michael.

28:41-31:29 - Talks about the Kobe and Shaq drama/dynamic.

31:46-33:30 - Talks about the 2001 Laker Championship Team & its historic 15-1 run in the playoffs. Picks that Laker team with a slight advantage over his 91 MJ Bulls team.

Kobe8Fan

Re: Horace Talks Kobe, Shaq, & 2001 Lakers, '91 Bulls and More

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:53 am

Looks very interesting.

Thanks for sharing :jam2:

EDIT: Not that is a surprise, but... You can almost smell Simmon's hate for Kobe.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks for posting this, it does look really good and whatever Horace says I am sure carry's a lot of weight because he's been around some of the game's greats.

I'll take a look later this evening when I get out of my classes.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby West's Formula 44 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:28 pm

"Don't compare anyone to Michael Jordan."

"MJ is in a class by himself."

I've always thought Jordan was the most talented player I ever saw. Still, I would pick Magic Johnson to start a team. He made everyone around him better.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby OX1947 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Jordan's 6-0 record in the Finals is what puts him on top more than anything else. If Kobe and Shaq win the two finals they lost, things would have been different. Imagine kobe at 7-0, two series win against the Celtics and was the player to take the Lakers to the top title spot overall.

Kobe would be in the top 5 for sure. He would be 7-0 in the Finals and have at least 3 finals MVPs with 2 3-peats and a 4 out of 5 title run.

Shaq would be 6-0, won with 3 teams and have at least 5 Finals MVPs. He would have replaced Kareem, Russel or Wilt as the best center of all time to me.

Biggest stage is the great equalizer.
OX1947

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:42 pm

OX1947 wrote:Jordan's 6-0 record in the Finals is what puts him on top more than anything else. If Kobe and Shaq win the two finals they lost, things would have been different. Imagine kobe at 7-0, two series win against the Celtics and was the player to take the Lakers to the top title spot overall.

Kobe would be in the top 5 for sure. He would be 7-0 in the Finals and have at least 3 finals MVPs with 2 3-peats and a 4 out of 5 title run.

Shaq would be 6-0, won with 3 teams and have at least 5 Finals MVPs. He would have replaced Kareem, Russel or Wilt as the best center of all time to me.

Biggest stage is the great equalizer.

I have Kobe in my top 5 already. Other than that I agree with your post :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby Juronimo on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:11 pm

That's the NBA gospel, you can't challenge the notion of Jordan as Jesus. To do so is blasphemy. It gets worse when you get a ****** fan who revels in being a hater.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Always nice to get a player's perspective.

Consider this about MJ. In his last 6 full season with the Bulls, MJ won 6 rings. Had MJ just won a 3 peat from 91-93, you can open up the debate for guys like Kobe and Lebron. But the guy retired, came back and won 3 more just like that. That sealed his legecay and greatness. His 6 rings [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] on Russell's 11 rings so badly it's not even funny. To me, the only guy who has a legit case of challengng MJ for GOAT is the Captain. Only his entire body of work from high school all the way to the pros can stand up to MJ's overall legacy. No one else is in that category, not when you look at the entire picture.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby purp n gold on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:56 pm

I too roll my eyes about MJ ascending into NBA-deity status... but it's undeniable how good he was.

It's pretty telling when proud, boastful players like Reggie Miller and Barkley proclaim Jordan THE best. I once saw Gary Payton callhim "black jesus" on NBATV lol. If anything I take the players' word for it, Jordan was that good.

Loved hearing what Grant said about Penny Hardaway too. 6'7 freak guard who somehow had both pure-PG and pure scorer instincts... I agree Penny would be a HOF'er if was healthy
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:20 pm

The quiet hate of Kobe in that video was hard to watch and listen to.....
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:59 pm

MJ was great, but he was also lucky. Look at the scores of great players who had bad luck in their careers.

If Malone would have stayed healthy in 04, and Bynum in 08, Kobe would be 7-0 in the finals.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:27 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:MJ was great, but he was also lucky. Look at the scores of great players who had bad luck in their careers.

If Malone would have stayed healthy in 04, and Bynum in 08, Kobe would be 7-0 in the finals.

Or maybe 8-0 if Shaq's lazy butt got in shape for the '03 season.
Kobe8Fan

Postby Weezy on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:40 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:MJ was great, but he was also lucky. Look at the scores of great players who had bad luck in their careers.

I agree with your point that luck matters, being lucky to have your team healthy is huge. It can win you a title or it can cost you won, as people say we were cost at least one title because of injury in the 80's too, though I forget specifically what series. I don't agree that we were a healthy Bynum away from winning in '08 though. I believe that butt-kicking along with a healthy Ariza and Drew was motivation to win it all in '09. Then Artest as a replacement to Vlad Rad, and that motivation for revenge still burning was why we won in 2010. I don't believe we were ready in '08 yet, Pau was soft, and the Celtics were full of tough vets and just bullied us. Also game 2 was rigged, horribly officiated, we couldn't breathe on them and they could practically punch our players. Anyway, I'm rambling, I agree with your luck point, just felt like chiming in on the '08 finals.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:05 am

Luck is part of EVERY title ... 08 would have been a loss even with Bynum ... of course Game 4 left a terrible feeling but the whole series wasn't very close ... those guys were the better team ... I never felt we could win a game at Boston ..
wcsoldier81

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 pm

We would have won in 2008 with a healthy Bynum and a healthy Ariza. Trevor wasn't healthy enough after he came back for the Spurs and Celtics series...if he had been 100%, he would have given us enough length to bother Pierce or Allen, saving some wear on Kobe. Bynum would have flat out dominated the Celtics physically as they had NO ONE with his kind of size and skill down low. KG is awesome, but he can't body with someone like Bynum.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby charvin on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:We would have won in 2008 with a healthy Bynum and a healthy Ariza. Trevor wasn't healthy enough after he came back for the Spurs and Celtics series...if he had been 100%, he would have given us enough length to bother Pierce or Allen, saving some wear on Kobe. Bynum would have flat out dominated the Celtics physically as they had NO ONE with his kind of size and skill down low. KG is awesome, but he can't body with someone like Bynum.

Absolutely, I agree that those two would have made a hell of a difference because Pau got raped against KG and Perkins and Ariza guarding Pierce would save wear on Kobe having to guard him. Of course, the whole no calls when Kobe went 1-on-5 could also have made a huge difference.

Also, it didn't help that my hate towards Pierce increased ten-fold in Game 1 when he rope-a-doped the Lakers by pulling that injury stunt.
charvin

Return to Lakers Discussion