HORRY SIGN AND TRADE BAIT FOR GP

HORRY SIGN AND TRADE BAIT FOR GP

Postby SWOL on Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:04 pm

There are indications, however, the Lakers' rebuilding effort will not be modest. Indeed, they might be parting with some beloved old friends, starting with Robert Horry and perhaps Derek Fisher.

The Lakers have until Monday to exercise a $5.3 million option on Horry. Under one scenario being considered, the Lakers could pick up the option today and then package Horry in a deal to move up in the draft and/or acquire veteran help.

In lieu of any attractive deals tonight, the Lakers could wait until the free-agent season opens Tuesday and seek to package Horry in a deal then. Teams looking to clear salary-cap space next summer might be enticed into a deal for Horry, whose contract would expire in 2004.

Whether Horry's friendly contract is enough to net the Lakers an impact player is questionable, but some NBA sources believe it might be the key to netting someone such as Gary Payton.

Payton, who finished last season with the Milwaukee Bucks, is confidently telling friends he will end up with the Lakers. But he has also made it clear he wants more than the $4.7 million mid-level exception, which is all the Lakers can offer a free agent.

That means Payton would have to agree to a sign-and-trade deal, and the Bucks would have to be willing to take some combination of Horry, Fisher or George. It's an unlikely package to get a major deal done, but it represents the kind of discussions the Lakers will be entertaining as they try to improve the cast surrounding Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

Laker officials say they have not made a decision regarding Horry and probably will wait until Monday's deadline. They might decline the option and try to re-sign Horry for less money, or package him in a sign-and-trade deal.

"Robert Horry can help our team," Kupchak said. "He can help our team next year and the year after, for sure."

In any case, the Lakers are not so subtly hinting that major changes could be forthcoming.
The Lakers' prime target might be 19-year-old Zaur Pachulia, a 6-foot-11 forward from the Republic of Georgia, who worked out in El Segundo on Tuesday. Pachulia, who has played professionally in Turkey since 1998, has drawn comparisons to Dallas' Eduardo Najera for his physical play.

In all, the Lakers have worked out 40 players, including eight foreign prospects. UCLA's Jason Kapono tried out Wednesday and could be targeted with the Lakers' second-round pick. They also are intrigued by Malick Badiane, a 6-11 forward from Senegal who plays in Germany.
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

sounds familiar...verbatum

Postby 8isnot_enough on Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:37 pm

to what howard beck of the daily news said.

I hope it goes thru. that way they can shut Shaq up. He was challenged to be in shape up and produce. He in turn challenged mgtmt to get help. (GP was one player he was asking for.) Turns out mgtmnt has a tougher challenge since nearly half the cap is being taken by some whiner already. I always thought making 23 mil a year would be incentive enough to be the best that you can be, but hell this is america why work hard if you don't have too, get paid regardless.

Back to this Horry thing. It may depend on Jordan coming in as the new owner group for the bucks. So i'm guessing the lakers will wait for later to make any deals. While they're at it deal Fox and Devean too. Fox is always two steps behind whoever he's guarding and can't shoot consistently enough. George has no basketball IQ, and for what he makes he should've produced more.

Kobe needs help too. He and GP is a nice hall of fame backcourt.
8isnot_enough

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:58 pm

Have no fear, Mitch will make the right moves...he started with an excellent draft...
Snakell Beast

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:22 pm

I agree with SNAKELL, So far MITCH is looking like a genius. He had a nice draft. Lets see if he can continue his streak with the free agencies.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Laker brain on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:48 pm

I liked the draft... Good triangle players GP is next.... We are going "Deer Hunting" for a free agent.
I think George and Horry are gone, Milwakee doesn't need Fisher, but they could use Devean.

Here is what I think may happen

Gary Payton/Fisher/Pargo
Kobe/Rush
Fox/Walton/Pippen(remember, phil picks) I don't want Pip, but......phil
Karl Malone-MLE /Cook/Medvedenko
Shaq/Madsen

I doubt Pippen plays for the min. but who can we get with the lle at the 3?
Piatkowski?
Laker brain

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:36 am

It looks like the lineup you have L-brain is what we will have next year. The Bucks with their pick of TJ Ford, definitely does not need Fisher. Therefore, George and Horry are trade bait. I hate to admit it, but we have to lose those two to get Payton.

With the MLE we can get either Malone or Howard. I would rather get Malone.

With the LLE and veteran's min will be Piatkowski and Pippen.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:11 am

how do you suppose we get PIPPEN and MALONE?
Who's the idiot going to take the LLE?
PIPPEN would get more money from the BLAZERS
MALONE is being COURTED by MARK CUBAN
and all we can offer those two, in terms of money, is only our MLE and LLE. It looks good on paper but too much conflicting ego.
HOWARD is just bluffing. He's using the LAKERS for money leverage from other teams.

I'd much rather have PJ BROWN.... he plays hard nose defense maybe he could teach COOK how to play defense. Its too bad PJ is second on the SPURMS LIST of free agent POWERFORWARDS behind Jermaine. Which means PJ would get the money with the SPURMS and have a chance at a title run again next year. If he goes there however, he'll get a heavy dosage of the DIESEL in the WCF.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Laker brain on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:59 am

I agree PJ would be excellent for us but will he take more money from the Spurs? I think the Lakers will get Malone because in Dallas he has to play behind Nowitski, and the Mavs run up and down the floor too much for an older Malone, the triangle seems like a better system for malone's aging body. I don't want juwan howard, either Brown or Malone will be fine, we need a good big body, Malone and Brown do that.
Laker brain

NOT ROBERT AND GEORGE!!

Postby SHAQ FAN on Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:42 am

I think we should get GP bye getting rid of Samaki, and Shaw if we have to get rid of pargo.

Next is get PJ Brown bye MLE

Last is trade Medvedenko for a backup center..............

possibilities are: 1) S. Williams
2) J. Voshkul
3) ZO
4) LaFrntz
5) Howard
6) Curry
:man1:
SHAQ FAN

Postby Calimatic on Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:31 am

Just so you know, Dallas runs the triangle too. The lakers top choice is Howard. They have made that clear. The next on their wish list is PJ.. The Spurms will et baby O'neal. So PJ is still out there. I think they will use the LLE on Scott Williams and Daniels. I also have a strong indication that fish is gone (We will misss yah). Mitch wants to hang on to Horry, so either fox or george will be gone.
Calimatic

Postby SWOL on Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:37 pm

MILWALKEE DOES NEED FISH THEY JUST TRADED CASSELL AND IF THEY TRADE PAYTON THEY ONLY HAVE TJ FORD AND NO ONE ELSE
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

:

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:17 pm

they need Fisher more than they need George because they have Tim Thomas.
would you rather have:
Fisher/Ford
Thomas/(whoever they have)

or

Ford/(whoever they have)
Thomas/George

The first one makes a lot more sence than the second one does
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Lakers Discussion