How Kings match up with LA

Postby OG on Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:09 pm

i had to write this in the perspective of a kings fan with reference to the kings as "we" and the lakers as "they". i did this to help prevent an automatic offended Kings fan. so hopefully i would get more intelligent replies. i originaly wrote this on a kings board:

in a playoff match up when it counts:

PF: Webber 23 ppg/ 11 rpg/ 5 apg
PF: Malone 14 ppg/ 7 rpg/ 3 apg

SF: Peja 16 ppg/ 7rpg/ 4 apg
SF: Fox 6 ppg / 4 rpg/ 3 apg

C : Vlade 6 ppg/ 7 rpg/ 4 apg
C : Shaq 28 ppg/ 13 rpg/ 5 apg

PG: Bibby 14 ppg/ 3 rpg/ 5 apg
PG: Payton 15 ppg/ 3 rpg/ 10 apg

SG: Dough 12 ppg/ 6 rpg/ 3 apg
SG: Kobe 26 ppg/ 7 rpg/ 5 apg

The bench wont be a big factor because if it was, with the depth of us and the thin-ness of the LA bench, sac would have beatin LA along time ago. the bench players for Sacramento are just filling in minutes and points that our starters cant hadle. their are only 5 players on the court at a time. 4 of the 5 starters for LA demand a double coverage but that wont be possible for any team in the nba to accomplish unless they are willing to pay for it 75% of the time. shaq, who kills vlade one on one, will not see webber cheating off anyone anymore to double him. and their will definantly be no tripple. and what if kobe gets hot? are we stuck with single coverage on him too? the answer is an unequivical YES. bibby will need help at some point with payton but wont be able to see it very often. while on the other hand, they (the Lakers), will be free to double all they want. its not fair but it wont be like that in a couple of years. i just dont think we can honestly match up and say that with a straight face. the star players are clutch, webber/ bibby/peja, so we cant rely on the bench to carry us through. if we do, the experience of Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton/Fox will kill us. playoffs are not ment for the bench, unless god forbid webber gets hurt, they only eat up the 10 or so minutes that our stars cant handle. you can expect kobe&shaq to log over 40 minutes per game each and malone/payton playing 30-35 each will only help their cause. webber/bibby/peja, especialy webber, must step up and match those minutes. match that desire and will to win that stars have. thats the same desire that keeps players going even whe possible for any team in the nba to accomplish unless they are willing to pay for it 75% of the time. shaq, who kills vlade one on one, will not see webber cheating off anyone anymore to double him. and their will definantly be no tripple. and what if kobe gets hot? are we stuck with single coverage on him too? the answer is an unequivical YES. bibby will need help at some point with payton but wont be able to see it very often. while on the other hand, they (the Lakers), will be free to double all they want. its not fair but it wont be like that in a couple of years. i just dont think we can honestly match up and say that with a straight face. the star players are clutch, webber/ bibby/peja, so we cant rely on the bench to carry us through. if we do, the experience of Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton/Fox will kill us. playoffs are not ment for the bench, unless god forbid webber gets hurt, they only eat up the 10 or so minutes that our stars cant handle. you can expect kobe&shaq to log over 40 minutes per game each and malone/payton playing 30-35 each will only help their cause. webber/bibby/peja, especialy webber, must step up and match those minutes. match that desire and will to win that stars have. thats the same desire that keeps players going even when their legs no longer give them the streangth to go on, but they do. they end up shooting clutch shots and they can face the pressure of elimination much better than a bench. if you do that, its called carrying your team. you become the emotional leader and inspire all around you. your desire rubs off on the rest of the team and you bare through the storm known as LA. i feel thats what missing from us, we dont have that one guy who is our undisputed leader. one who has the upmost confidence of everyone around him, even the opposing team's. LA happens to have 1, and his name is Kobe. he played 10 straight playoff games with a shoulder injury severe enough to require extensive surgury. he always wanted the ball in his hand in any clutch situation and fought like a warrior. when his efforts came up short, he fell to tears. "what else can i do? i did everything". he took that realy personal, as it was his fault and his dersire to win will just overwhealm poor dough christie. We need that guy, and we can have him in webber. and do not forget, shaq is coming back angry and motivated, and from what ive heard, in the best shape since the 99-00 season when they won 67 games. im just scared to imagine what this new laker line up can do. we must make improvments, and now. we are not playing it safe, but instead were just being cocky, not improving, hopeing for the worst case senerio to happen to the lakers. well instead of hopeing for somthing to happen to LA, we need to be thinking of our own worst case senerios, and prepare for that. it ended us last year, and if not prepared for, could happen again. and as i recall, arrogance ended the lakers, but their end remotivated them and big things happened. why cant we do the same?
Quoting Shaq on one of his spontainious freestyles durring practices:

"I stay paid niggaaa, I live laid niggaaa, I've been rappen ever since the third grade niggaaa".
OG

Postby murcielago62 on Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:20 pm

Nice analysis, although I think Shaq might get more because of the lack of double/triple teams, most of the others are right. This is assuming C.Webb's knee is ok. The benches are alot closer now though. Devean, Fish and the rookies off the bench ain't bad (Cook had 21 pts. 9 rebounds in the last SPL game :jam2: ) I really think this wouldn't be close. If you look at it, usually when they go on runs is when Shaq or Kobe are taking a breather, and with Karl and Gary running the Offense, while they're out, those runs won't happen!
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Postby hi on Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:22 pm

y do u even take the time to write all this?

lakers are and were better then the queens even before we got payton/malone soooo -_-
hi

Postby pltan on Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:34 pm

Gotta agree with Hi on this. Kings have been nothing but overhyped talkers who have failed to do anything the last few years.
pltan

Postby Huge-O-Lakerfan on Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:22 pm

The queens always choke when it counts. It all starts with Webber, who has never recovered from his Freshman year at Michigan (learn how to count loser; no more time-outs), his butt-hole still gets tight when the game comes down to the wire. As long as he is their franchise player we have nothing to worry about.
Huge-O-Lakerfan

Postby MIKEDOG on Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:28 pm

Thank god there are brothas like you that have the patience to write something so fukin long winded!! I got to the fourth line and gave up. But I think you were saying that the LAKERS are going to kick the queens [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!!! :yikes:
MIKEDOG

Lakers vs. Kings

Postby Ryan9900 on Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:41 pm

Basically, the Queens can't match up with the Lakers. The Lakers have heart and the calm cool-headed thinking needed in the playoffs. They lost this year, and that will only make them more determined for this season coming up. The heart, experience, and desire the Lakers have for a championship in the '04 season cannot be bought by the Maloof brothers. I doubt any team next season would be able to stop the Lakers on their quest for the championship. And one more thing, i wouldn't start Rick Fox this season. I would rather have Devean George start and get more playing time. Everyone says think of the Lakers' future, well we need to realize that George is the future of the small forward postion, in the same way Kobe is in the leadership positon. Lakers 2003-2004 NBA World Champions! It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?
Ryan9900

Postby Laker brain on Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:21 pm

One thing the kings have is Chemistry, but come play-off time we'll be hardcore
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:27 pm

Unless they get a f*ckin ring, which they will never have in a long time, then these [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] from Cowtown has nothing to say.

We have re-tooled and like Shaq said, we have nuclear weapons now!!!!

The Queens and the other losers in the NBA can never match with Kobe, Shaq, GP, and the Mailman.

Oh yes!!The Mailman does deliver on Sundays!!!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:42 am

They don't.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby HndsmCelt on Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:33 pm

All this speculation on how the Lakers will match up agains the kings, or Spurs ect is fundementaly flawed on three levels. First most of the stats that are being slung arround are based on career averages, not last years play. Malone, and Payton are on the down slope, Shaq has had a downward trend so these numbers are a bit inflated. Secondly they all assume the Kings will have the same team with no improvemnts, even though the Kings have made improvemnts every season since Geoff Peitre arrived. Since the Kings are over the cap any improvemnts they make will be done through trades, not FA aquisitions. But MORE important is the fact that Malon and Payton put up those numbers as the number one man on their team. The absurdity of this kind of stat comparison becomes aparent if you calculate the ammonut of shots needed for each of starting four Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton to put up their point averages given their shooting percentmnts, even though the Kings have made improvemnts every season since Geoff Peitre arrived. Since the Kings are over the cap any improvemnts they make will be done through trades, not FA aquisitions. But MORE important is the fact that Malon and Payton put up those numbers as the number one man on their team. The absurdity of this kind of stat comparison becomes aparent if you calculate the ammonut of shots needed for each of starting four Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton to put up their point averages given their shooting percentage. To maintain those numbers the Lakers would have to take about 125 shots a game.

What becomes obvious is what several of us have pointed out, more Malone and Payton means less Kobe and Shaq. The Lakers will not be any faster so it is doubtfull that they will actualy average more shots per game. Last year the Lakers averaged 100 points a game shoting 47% so that is roughly 108 shots. Horry and Fisher shoot 32% and 52% (average 42%)and are now replaced by Malone and Payton who shoot 45 and 46% (averaage. To maintain those numbers the Lakers would have to take about 125 shots a game.

What becomes obvious is what several of us have pointed out, more Malone and Payton means less Kobe and Shaq. The Lakers will not be any faster so it is doubtfull that they will actualy average more shots per game. Last year the Lakers averaged 100 points a game shoting 47% so that is roughly 108 shots. Horry and Fisher shoot 32% and 52% (average 42%)and are now replaced by Malone and Payton who shoot 45 and 46% (average 45.5%intain those numbers the Lakers would have to take about 125 shots a game.

What becomes obvious is what several of us have pointed out, more Malone and Payton means less Kobe and Shaq. The Lakers will not be any faster so it is doubtfull that they will actualy average more shots per game. Last year the Lakers averaged 100 points a game shoting 47% so that is roughly 108 shots. Horry and Fisher shoot 32% and 52% (average 42%)and are now replaced by Malone and Payton who shoot 45 and 46% (average 45.5%intain those numbers the Lakers would have to take about 125 shots a game.

What becomes obvious is what several of us have pointed out, more Malone and Payton means less Kobe and Shaq. The Lakers will not be any faster so it is doubtfull that they will actualy average more shots per game. Last year the Lakers averaged 100 points a game shoting 47% so that is roughly 108 shots. Horry and Fisher shoot 32% and 52% (average 42%)and are now replaced by Malone and Payton who shoot 45 and 46% (average 45.5%) So in reality we are looking at a 3% improvement in the shooting from the number 3 and 4 options, who will take shots from Shaq (57%) and Kobe (45%). Pardon me if I dont find those numbers frighting.

As for defense again there is marked improvemnt with a total of 2 more rebounds from Payton and Malone over Horry and Fish, but GP has been markedly slower the past few seasons getting burned by younger faster gaurds and needing more and more help on the pick and roll. Malone is nealy uselesge 45.5%) So in reality we are looking at a 3% improvement in the shooting from the number 3 and 4 options, who will take shots from Shaq (57%) and Kobe (45%). Pardon me if I dont find those numbers frighting.

As for defense again there is marked improvemnt with a total of 2 more rebounds from Payton and Malone over Horry and Fish, but GP has been markedly slower the past few seasons getting burned by younger faster gaurds and needing more and more help on the pick and roll. Malone is nealy useless away from the basket and not much better on D than Horry, and only some improvemnt on Walker who does ocasionaly block shots. In the end you have a team in LA that will reasonalby average 100-105 points a game giving up 100 to most opponetnts. The Kings will contenue to be a team taht can put an average of 110 points a game and will give up 106 to it's opponents.

Obviously this is an argument that can go on untill the season starts, and will only be decided when we see how these two teams match up on the court ns away from the basket and not much better on D than Horry, and only some improvemnt on Walker who does ocasionaly block shots. In the end you have a team in LA that will reasonalby average 100-105 points a game giving up 100 to most opponetnts. The Kings will contenue to be a team taht can put an average of 110 points a game and will give up 106 to it's opponents.

Obviously this is an argument that can go on untill the season starts, and will only be decided when we see how these two teams match up on the court not on the computer screen.
Last edited by HndsmCelt on Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We suck at rebounding"
Brad Miller
HndsmCelt
Clublakers Rep: Sac Kings

Postby Coppertop on Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:57 pm

Obviously you have analysed the statistics very well. Unfortunately, no analysis needs to take place since the Kings have yet to beat the Lakers, have not improved during the off-season, and the Lakers have improved. There is no discussion. Too bad Queens, good luck playing for second place.
Coppertop

Postby murcielago62 on Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:09 pm

Coppertop wrote:Obviously you have analysed the statistics very well. Unfortunately, no analysis needs to take place since the Kings have yet to beat the Lakers, have not improved during the off-season, and the Lakers have improved. There is no discussion. Too bad Queens, good luck playing for second place.

Image :man10:
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Return to Lakers Discussion