How Lakers might be able to rebuild during Kobe Bryant's las

Re: How Lakers might be able to rebuild during Kobe Bryant's las

Postby angrypuppy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:06 am

abeer3 wrote:just a technicality, but I'm pretty sure the lakers can't move their pick until it is made. thus, they actually have to make the pick; they can then trade the draft rights of the player for someone. the pick itself can never be traded. again, a technicality, as you can arrange to choose for the trade partner, but that's not exactly what's been stated in this thread.

as for the plan outlined: it's realistic (imo), but it's not a contender. it's a bottom-four playoff team in the west. kobe's extension killed chances at the quick rebuild, which, let's be honest, was a longshot either way.

as for trading the pick: I'm fine either way. if you can get love or rondo by moving the 5th pick, you probably take a shot at it. otherwise, just try to start building up assets again. it's going to be a two year process, at minimum. probably 3 before anyone is scared of the lakers again. one key is not overspending this summer under pressure from kobe.

That is correct. The Lakers cannot trade draft picks in consecutive years due to the Stepien Rule (see Larry Coon FAQ). The rule is easily circumvented though; all Mitch has to do is call teams prior to the draft and ask them what they are willing to give up for the pick. Upon agreement, the Lakers will select a draftee on behalf of the other team, and then promptly trade him. It also mitigates cap impact a bit as the pick will have a dollar salary value attached (something that doesn't happen when the draft order has not been established).

HOWEVER I sure hope Jimmy isn't foolish enough to trade that pick. I am confident that Mitch knows better, but I think Jimmy might be tempted to bring in a short-term answer in order to improve his PR. Given the restrictions of the latest CBA, future champions will most likely be constructed from two high quality free agents plus one or two very good drafted players who are laboring under rookie contracts.
angrypuppy

Postby halekulani on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Doc Brown wrote:If we are going to trade our 1st round pick this season, I'd rather it be for a player we aren't a lock to get in FA the following year.

If I'm trading the 1st this year, it's for....

Andre Drummond
Kyrie Irving
Jimmy Butler
Klay Thompson
Harrison Barnes

Trading an unproven draft pick for an already established top tier young talent.

This offseason - You build the bench + Guy above + save room for the following season
Next offseason - Add Love

uh
only kyrie and drummond are established

putting harrison barnes, butler, and klay on that same list is crazy
halekulani

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm

halekulani wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:If we are going to trade our 1st round pick this season, I'd rather it be for a player we aren't a lock to get in FA the following year.

If I'm trading the 1st this year, it's for....

Andre Drummond
Kyrie Irving
Jimmy Butler
Klay Thompson
Harrison Barnes

Trading an unproven draft pick for an already established top tier young talent.

This offseason - You build the bench + Guy above + save room for the following season
Next offseason - Add Love

uh
only kyrie and drummond are established

putting harrison barnes, butler, and klay on that same list is crazy

So if I would have said trading for a top tier talent (Irving, Drummond) or a 2nd tier (Barnes, Butler, Klay) that would have changed the message of my post how?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby halekulani on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:26 pm

you want to trade for established young top tier talent
i agree with you if that is your objective

you created a list of what you think is top tier talent worth trading for
i'm telling you that only 2 players on that list are worth trading for
halekulani

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:39 pm

I saw a rumor on a site not credible enough to warrant mentioning that we might make a push for Bledsoe with a Poison Pill contract.. They suggested it would be something like 3/35 with 15M in the final year. Would kill any chance we had at Irving & also Durant if we end up getting Love, but it would allow us to add a very good player without completely killing our chances at Love or another top FA in '15.
LakersN4

Postby halekulani on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:55 pm

phx capspace is clear though
they can match bledsoe if they want, and i think with dragic and bledsoe working well as a pair, they intend on keeping them
halekulani

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Building a team around Kobe, using him as the center piece is a thing of the past. He's not going to be the same Kobe. If they want to build a championship team, they'll have to build with the idea that Kobe is just one of the key pieces among several.

You can forget Nash. He's done. Stick the fork in him. If he plays at all next year it will be more of a symbolic gesture to a future Hall of Famer. No one else on the roster warrants a starting position on a championship team, except maybe Wes Johnson. Johnson can provide athleticism. Nick young can come off the bench and provide a scoring spark. Jordan Hill can come off the bench and provide some energy with his high motor.

They need to revamp the whole starting lineup. They need to find guys who can play team defense and play like a team. I don't see enough free agents out there who can turn this thing around. Kobe's gonna move up the all time scoring chart and that will provide the only excitement for fans to come to games.

The best thing they can do is target another potential superstar in the draft and hope he pans out. Then, use free agency to pair another star with him and who knows? But that will take some years. And Kobe will be long gone. Lakers are not sniffing another championship during the Kobe era.
snackdaddy

Postby kenzo on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:13 pm

snackdaddy wrote:Lakers are not sniffing another championship during the Kobe era.

:man6:
kenzo

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:30 am

therealdeal wrote:I think Kobe CAN be a beta

Kobe been hearing hearing that he's finished by the media. Even worse, he's basically been forgotten over the past calendar year. No longer is his name mentioned when making a "the list" of best players in the game today. He's going to be out for blood to show he still has it. The alpha mentality is burned into him and this will only fuel it more. He'll NEVER change in that regard and I believe he could potentially be even worse after all of this.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:00 am

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I think Kobe CAN be a beta

Kobe been hearing hearing that he's finished by the media. Even worse, he's basically been forgotten over the past calendar year. No longer is his name mentioned when making a "the list" of best players in the game today. He's going to be out for blood to show he still has it. The alpha mentality is burned into him and this will only fuel it more. He'll NEVER change in that regard and I believe he could potentially be even worse after all of this.

I agree he's going to be out to prove a point, but if you gave him any of the players I mentioned, I'm 100% positive that he'd mesh with them in an effort to win.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:44 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:^^^^ 100% agree ... we don't even know how many games Kobe will be able to play ... Kobe is history as legendary as he is ...

Not sure why medias/fans keep talking about quickly rebuilding around Kobe like it's 2007 ...

Exactly. We are in a holding pattern for at least the next two seasons due to that Kobe abomination. Right now, we should be concentrating on collecting assets to make a big splash in 2016. This is why not unloading Pau for a first rounder was an abysmal decision. I'm not even talking about a 2014 first as it seems none were available. But even a 2015 or 2016 first would have been a good play since it would have been one more chance at a young solid contributor. Pick up Stephenson, Lowry and a real good player in the draft this offseason. Pick up Love next offseason. Then when 2016 rolls around, we can make a huge push at Durant with a Lowry/Stephenson backcourt and Love at the pf spot with a young stud (draft pick).

Hope that Durant doesn't win a ring before 2016. If he gets a ring in the next 3 tries, he probably stays.
Savory Griddles

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm

If you have a chance to grab a young, promising franchising-changing player using this draft pick, such as a Kyrie, Drummond, or someone of that ilk then you do it, IMO. If that player can help you right away, why not? However, I don't see us doing that. We'll draft the best player available, probably make a play for someone a potential mid-tier FA this offseason i.e. Stephenson, fill out the roster with players that we like such as Farmar, Young, Henry, and other placeholders then roll into the season. We'll have enough room for one Max-Player next year in a more talented FA pool...
lukewaltonsdad

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion