How Many Wins in 2012-13 if Training Camp+No Injuries?

Re: How Many Wins in 2012-13 if Training Camp+No Injuries?

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 am

Vasashi17 wrote:I wanted to stay tight lipped, but my hate for MDA runs deep... :man10:

Brown had some tremendous hurdles to climb himself. The lockout had him excommunicated from the roster for months. He had an abridged training camp and had to deal with distractions like the nixed CP3 deal and a disgruntled Pau and Kobe (who was stunned that we traded LO for nothing...along with having the league nix a deal that would have brought in his close friend in CP3). Kobe also was lost for 8 games (which is 1/8 of the shortened season) and it led to a 4-4 record. Drew didn't suit up for 6 games and we went 3-3. Oh and Metta...dude was a bit out of shape as well.

Yet with all that....we were 16 games above .500.

My hate runs deep, but then what does that say about some of you guys and your hate for Brown?

/devil'sadvocate
I agree Brown didn't get a fair shot, but the roster we came into this season with was a terrible fit for him. You give a defensive coach a team full of old guys that can still score + Dwight @ 75%. Without D'antoni who knows if we get this type of play out of Jamison, Meeks, Clark, Blake. If we were an elite defensive team, Brown would make sense.. But with this roster you just have to outscore people.
lakersin4

Postby JGC on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 am

karacha wrote:Well, it should be above .500 and it is above .500. Can't expect much more, frankly, with old players and all these injuries. He did alright. Not horrible, definitely not great. Slightly above .500. :man12:

I know I've been one of Kobe's harshest critics but you honestly think that you can't expect Kobe to get a team to the playoffs when he has Dwight Howard, Steve Nash for part of the year, and Pau Gasol for part of the year? I would expect a team with Kobe and Dwight on it to be a playoff team at WORST. You're saying, at BEST??? That's puzzling to me.

The guy is clearly on the decline, but if you're saying he cannot be expected to lead a team to the playoffs anymore (let alone a team including Dwight Howard at minimum and 2 other HOFers part time) then your outlook on him might be among the bleakest I've seen in here.
JGC

Postby Armani on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:23 am

No injuries is unrealistic. Assuming that we don't have TERRIBLE LUCK, we'll win 2/3rds of our games, like we have been as of late. So let's go with about 54 games... that's actually the number Hollinger predicted. Don't like him at all, but he can be right about these kinds of things. :bang:

But... we would also look like a title contender, IMO. Come playoff time, who would've stopped Nash, Kobe, Rejuvenated Pau and Dwight? I just don't see it happening. Even off the bench, we would've Hill back. We would have Clark. Blake is playing great. Jamsion is an X factor. And who knows when Meeks starts getting hot? MWP can score 20 if his mind is into it, too.

Realize the 2010 Lakers weren't all that athletic either. Neither were the 2010 Celtics. It was a Finals series of slow veterans. Age isn't that much of a disadvantage, IMO.
Armani

Postby JGC on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 am

It's always interesting that when fans play the what if game, their teams are always hypothetical dynasties. Haha.
JGC

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 am

Brown showed zero progress in any facet of basketball when he was here to start the season. zero. None. Rotations were horrible No creativity on offense.

I'll forever be grateful to him for inflating the hell out of Andrew Bynum's value though which helped us get Dwight

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm

JGC wrote: I would expect a team with Kobe and Dwight on it to be a playoff team at WORST.

In this situation, they are making the playoffs at best. If they get lucky, as the 7th seed, which is, in fact, awesome.

Younger Kobe was able to bring a bunch of scrubs into the playoffs. This is not the case anymore. He had lots of injuries and played through them. He is still great, but he is not going to score 80 points any time soon. Dwight was obviously around 50% early in the season. He looks so much better now, it's not even funny. The rest of the guys are old, injured veterans (ankles, knees, wrists etc.) that simply can't defend when others teams are rebounding the ball and immediately pushing it down the floor. Speaking of other teams -- they are much better now, then they used to be. All extremely competitive young teams. And the basketball philosophy has changed drastically: now everyone has young, explosive players who will run these vets out of the gym. That's a fact. Well, we don't have those players. But we will surround Dwight with them relatively soon. :man1:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion