How the Lakers fell - CHECK IT OUT

How the Lakers fell - CHECK IT OUT

Postby ZenMaster on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:18 am

Hey guys...

This is a VERY well-written article on why we didn't repeat as champs...I couldn't have said it better myself. Read it all here:

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 81,00.html

(Besides the fact of how accurate it is, what scares me the most is how Mitch K. still just doesn't get it...even after all that has happened, he just laughs it off??? So now his excuse if we don't improve our club is "duuuhhh, we're over the salary cap"?!? WHO THE HELL ISN'T??? Does that stop anyone ELSE from succeeding in getting quality players??? What about SMART trades? What about overseas? What about the NBDL? What about the draft (provided you don't screw it up)? GRRRRRR... someone stop me)... :mad1: :bang: :mad1:
ZenMaster

Postby Slayer Alstarx on Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:12 am

Okay Stop.
My turn.
:man2: :man2: :man2: :man2: :man2: :mad1: :man2: :man6:

there! I feel much better now.....Hmm, is Buss taking advice from Sterling??? I never wanted to get rid of Lue, I was shocked when they didn't re-sign Patterson, okay somebody stop me... :man2: :man2: :man7:
Slayer Alstarx

Postby shaqass on Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:36 am

take it easy guys, take it easy....

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

next one?
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby FirstLady on Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:07 pm

You're right, ZM! Good article! It really breaks down what has (or hasn't) happened with the Lakers' possibility for improvement.

We can only hope that the "powers that be," (Kupchak, Buss and Jackson), have or will see the error of their ways in black and white (this article) and make some much needed INTELLIGENT decisions and get Shaq and Kobe some consistant help. Buss definitely has to reach deeper into his pockets if that is to happen.
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby pltan on Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:51 pm

Yeah, definitely a good read. But it's not like the author is emphasising anything we didn't already know.
pltan

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:19 pm

Yes, it's like a very high worded article of what people like me, D.A., and Snakell have been saying all along...

We know all of that. Plus, why didn't he come out with this article when we were winning? Oh I get it, we loose one year, and now the blaim starts, it's [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.].
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby ZenMaster on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:31 am

Okay...I think I've calmed down now...sorry gang. :jam2:

Pltan and LD2K, I feel ya, really...but maybe it will HAVE to take articles like this to wake up the Lakers' brass, force themselves to look in the mirror and realize, "Hey, maybe we really did f*** this thing up". I just get the impression from all the articles and stories I have read that Mitch still thinks everything is all right, and it sounds as like he just doesn't understand the full scope of our problems...much less acknowledge that we HAVE some serious problems in the first place. You can cut his arrogance and denial with a knife, and it drives me nuts. Remember, the first step in conquering a problem or dilemma is ADMITTING YOU HAVE ONE. I am not saying we should panic and blow the whole thing up, but L.A. mgmt. needs to take a good, HARD look at every single aspect of this machine & replace the parts that NEED it.
Last edited by ZenMaster on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZenMaster

Postby ZenMaster on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:42 am

(sorry...the text started repeating on me)

Lastly, I LOVE this team, and I have for over 25 years.....but it just kills me to see it slowly but surely being neglected like this. Taking the 'quick' way out of a problem like they have the last few years (taking stopgap measures, signing over-the-hill guys instead of keeping an eye on the future, trying to get by on the cheap, being scared of free agents b/c they MIGHT ask too much w/o even bothering to ask them, poor analyzing of drafts, etc.) may offer temporary happiness but it will surely get you in the long run. And in our case it finally has. That is why I fervently hope that EVERYONE in Laker management will seriously analyze every single aspect of what went wrong, and basically WAKE UP, b/c they still seem to live in a fantasy world...like they did nothing wrong...and THAT is worries me the most.
Last edited by ZenMaster on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZenMaster

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:44 am

But what did they "f*ck up" ?

See what I don't understand is how everyone thinks we messed up? We are a successful three peated championship team.

How did we mess anything up? The dynasty is not over, and if this guy is right in his article, it will proove itself out if and by Kupchak and the Lakers not making the right moves this offseason...

Just pisses me off how millions will read his, when those points have already been brought up and analyzed for a while now...

:disagree:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby ZenMaster on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:52 am

Sup LD2K, guess you posted while I was editing my 2nd reply...I understand we are still a successful franchise, I am not saying we aren't...but Mitch and co. still don't "get it", they keep taking shortcuts over and over. That is my point. Maybe you're right, if (God forbid) we don't improve enough this summer and we fail to win again next year, I hope it will all play out and Mitch K. gets the boot. (I will hold the door open for him). :man10: Maybe Jeannie can take over too and open the wallet for Pete's sake. Whatever it takes, I just want this ship headed back in the right direction by people who understand what they are doing....that's all. Maybe if they would pay more attention to forums like this, where you, CL, Snakell, MikeDog, and everyone else speak the truth (and have for awhile) some of this could have been avoided?...who knows. But I wish us well this offseason...PEACE :jam2:
ZenMaster

Postby shaqass on Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:46 am

Somewhere I think we f*** it up. Maybe not completly and probably not for ever but we did. What I am going to say is easy, I agree, because I didn't say that when we were winning. However my feeling is that this team won 3 championships basicaly thanks to the work done more than 4 years ago by a great successful GM. I think it is difficult to see the fact we did many mistakes the last 3 years because of 2 things. 1) Kobe 2) Shaq. They don't help to display the mistakes we did, because with them we will always be a contender.

(sorry bug with double sentence...see next post)
Last edited by shaqass on Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaqass

Postby shaqass on Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:48 am

But if we put aside the 3 titles and we look what has been done with the contracts, trades, draft etc, honestly can you say that we did a good job this last 3 years? Can you say that we did all good to ensure the futur of this team? I cannot. It's easy to say that, drinking a coffee in front of my computer, that's true, but so far Mitch K. hasn't proved he his a good GM, even if he is. He has maintained a group built by someone else and for the small moves he did, I don't see many success.
shaqass

Return to Lakers Discussion