How will you remember Gasol as a Laker?

Re: How will you remember Gasol as a Laker?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:14 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I'll remember him as a weak-minded super-talent.

I had super high hopes for him after his first playoff game with us in 2008, and after that there was much frustration over his inability to play at a high level during playoff adversity.

You took a trip to another planet in 2009 and 2010 ?
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:21 am

Well, he's not traded yet and I'm not convinced he's going to be, although I do think the two parties will be going their separate ways by the summer most likely.

I will remember it all - the Iberian warrior who helped us get to three straight Finals and got us two rings, as well as the guy who didn't show up at all for no apparent reason and failed to take us to our fourth Finals. Sadly, that was his undoing and because it was never explained to us why he dropped off the map during Phil's last year, the fans and I think the FO lost faith in the guy. He's never been the same since, although he's been battling injuries much of that time.

He was one of my favorite Lakers of all time, I won't lie. The combination of his remarkable skill set, and his cerebral play reminded me of the guy who got me into pro basketball to begin with: the Cap. I knew he would never be the dominant type of player that KAJ was, but I thought he would continue to play as he did in those championship runs. Unfortunately he checked out on us and then injuries/mental weakness/being traded/being underutilized by coaches took its toll on him. Not the same guy - did not perform under those adversities like a great player does.

Off the court I'll always consider him one of the NBA's great ambassadors. He's a sweetheart of a guy and a class act as so many have said. His work for kids has been exemplary. The guy IS a role model.

So, I'll miss him when he's gone. But it's been clear for some time that Gasol and the Lakers need to part ways.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:23 am

I will remember his major contribution to the championship teams but will also remember him as the number one reason Kobe was conviced to stay a Laker. The summer prior was crap with all the "kobe will never wear a Laker uniform again!!!", " Deng or no deal". Though the team started off as a surprise with Fisher back and an improved Andrew Bynum, I still thought Kobe was not conviced the team was a title conteder, but that all changed when Mitch turned Kwame Brown into Pau Gasol. We had a trio of talented bigs to go along with Kobe Bryant. Pau will always be in my top ten Laker of all time
Last edited by Balance&Options24 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:25 am

Balance&Options24 wrote:I will remember his major contribution to the championship teams but will also remember him as the number one reason Kobe was conviced to stay a Laker. The summer prior was crap with all the "kobe will never wear a Laker uniform again!!!", " Deng or no deal". Though the team started off as a surprise with Fisher back and an improved Andrew Bynum, I still thought Kobe was not convicted the team was a title conteder, but that all changed when Mitch turned Kwame Brown into Pau Gasol. We had trio of talented bigs to go along with Kobe Bryant. Pau will always be in my top ten Laker of all time

^^ That is an excellent point! :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:27 am

I'll always have mixed feelings. Great appreciation for the championships but disappointment later on. I still feel he had a lot to offer but didn't have the heart to follow through... hes a nice guy and I'll never be able to dislike him.

In some ways hes disappointing like Shaq.
BadCoaching

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 am

Physically and mentally, Gasol was not a first option, carry the team on my shoulders "star" but is/was one hell of a complementary piece. I think he and Odom worked well together much more than Bynum. Nowadays? Just age and attrition...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:50 am

Lakerjones wrote:I will remember it all - the Iberian warrior who helped us get to three straight Finals and got us two rings, as well as the guy who didn't show up at all for no apparent reason and failed to take us to our fourth Finals.

#Lakerproblems
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby gasolattack on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:07 pm

I am from Spain and I have followed gasol since he arrived to the NBA. I still remember my discussions in the Memphis board when I was saying the gasol haters that as soon Gasol would be traded, that team would win the NBA (as happened with the Lakers).

I was one year in LA in 1990 studyng there and I saw the great Magic Johnson in the Staples, and Lakers was my favourite NBA team. Later, I become a memphis fan because of Pau and thought kobe was an arrogant player.

And even later as Pau went to LA, showed me the great player and worker Kobe is, and what a magnific duo he become with Pau.

I will remenber Gasol as a great player and a great person,. Its time to part ways (Gasol and Lakers) but I will be a Laker fan and a fan of the team Gasol is traded.

:jam2:
gasolattack

Postby hollywood swinger on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:57 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:UNDERACHIEVING QUITTER

i'm just a troll at heart :man9:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby magicman32 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:29 pm

It's hard to remember when he was great because he's been bad since the Dallas sweep, that's 2.5 seasons of wussy ball, no jumping to block 5'10 players' layups, no deep post position, no heart, getting stripped all the time
magicman32

Postby raviator on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:03 pm

The thing I remember most about him when he arrived was how ridiculously well he fit into the triangle offense, as if he'd been doing it for all his career. Then helping us practically embarrass the western conference before being embarrassed by the Celtics capped off with 2 straight titles. Despite his struggles I'm still a fan of Gasol and will be where ever he goes. But it's obvious his time here with the Lakers is finished.
raviator

Postby halekulani on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 pm

^agree with the transition once he joined the lakers. excellent point. seriously the lakers couldnt have had a better fit than pau.
b2b champion

basically the best euro player not named tony parker or dirk
halekulani

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Most likely I will remember the good times more than the bad ones. Pau was never on Shaq's level, so that's not the comparison I'm making, but when I look back at the Shaq years the good stuff is what comes to mind, the bad stuff I have to think about hard to remember clearly. What I do remember is how much a beast Shaq was and how I still haven't seen domination like he put up in the 2000 playoff run since.

In this moment Pau is not in a good place in my mind, I mostly remember 2011 playoffs until now because it is fresh. When he's gone though, what is going to stick out as the years go by is how he made us a title contender the day he got here. How we went to 3 Finals in a row with him right away. How he pretty much owned Dwight in the Finals on offense AND how he defended him as good as anyone could ever hope to. How he stood up against the soft label in the 2010 Finals and went at those Celtic bastards hard, with everything he had, with all out passion to help us get that incredibly special title.

In the end I'll also remember him as a good human being and a good teammate. I'm ready to move on from Pau for the good of the franchise, but I have no ill will or no actual bad feelings for the guy, all my criticisms of him are on court.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:22 am

Rooscooter wrote:First..... Kendrick Perkins has never been elite at anything.......

Pau's performance against Howard in the finals was the height of his Lakers career.

Perkins was elite at getting away with moving screens(you can thank KG and Stern for that), and being able to mug opposing bigs in the paint. Skillz yo!
Frank Dux

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:30 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I'll remember him as a weak-minded super-talent.

I had super high hopes for him after his first playoff game with us in 2008, and after that there was much frustration over his inability to play at a high level during playoff adversity.

You took a trip to another planet in 2009 and 2010 ?

No, I watched every game during those playoff runs. I didn't say he was junk. He did a great job against Dwight. But he should have been a superstar with his height and talent. His lack of confidence during times of great physicality puts and asterisk beside those runs IMO.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:58 am

^What were you expecting him to be? Shaq??? Gasol was always finesse and soft spoken. Plus we didn't need him to be the 1st option out there. We had Kobe for that.

Seriously, who cares how we win championships? All that matters is that we win them and we beat the Celtics in the trophy count.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 am

Game 7 :

Pau 17 boards

GayG : 2 boards

Sure , Pau was soft in these 2 titles runs
wcsoldier81

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 am

He was a good. Just not 19 million dollar good.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 am

^^^^ 15 M in 2008-2009
^^^^ 16M in 2009-2010

Was worth all this money during these 2 seasons
wcsoldier81

Postby MC on Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 am

432J wrote:nothing but amazing memories. one of the major factors in back to back championships and a true class act

i'll never forget the day he was traded to LA. made the lakers contenders once again

This

I was at the Detroit/Lakers game the night before Gasol got traded to the Lakers........

after watching the Lakers fall by 1 and hearing it from my bro all night as Kwame fumbles away yet another entry pass .......

the next morning had a different tune :man1: and the next 3 years became verbal payback :man1:

Gasol has taken his hits over the last 3 years, some within his control and some not so much..... but he really should be remembered for being tr4aded and making us a power house once again within the league.... the Bryant/Gasol duo was pretty potent one under Jackson's watch.....
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:04 am

The second fiddle in our mini-dynasty from 2008-10. Incredibly skilled big man who could do some amazing things at times. But also the guy who gave up on the team and didn't look like he cared about being on the court for his last few years as a Laker. Of course I will always appreciate what he did for the Lakers but his time has passed. I wish him well to whatever team he goes too.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Those "weenie" [Jackson's term] shots and yelling after trying to draw the foul [the Mamba influence].
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerzkb8 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Champion who doesn't get the credit he deserves, disrespected a lot more then he should. Maybe it's me moving out if LA in 2006 or Kobe's career coming to an end but i really can't stand how snobby Laker fans are. Im a fan of the organization but i dont like being associated with a lot of laker fans. A lot of you would be terrible parents lol
This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jello's jigglin'! - Chick Hearn RIP
lakerzkb8

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 pm

lakerzkb8 wrote:Champion who doesn't get the credit he deserves, disrespected a lot more then he should. Maybe it's me moving out if LA in 2006 or Kobe's career coming to an end but i really can't stand how snobby Laker fans are. Im a fan of the organization but i dont like being associated with a lot of laker fans. A lot of you would be terrible parents lol

I don't think you can take the rants of online posters that serious, or that they're representative of the fanbases overall view of Pau. I know you laughed, but how Pau gets treated in an online forum that's here for venting doesn't mean anyone here would make bad parents or or act that way with their kids. Nice people in General can be just ruthless on the internet.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:47 pm

I'm trading my kid because for the last 3 years all he's done is poop and cost me money.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion