How would you get this team back on track?

Re: How would you get this team back on track?

Postby frankrj on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:58 am

Well, I''ll just have to disagree. Your center can be avg if you have 2 legit stars. Ideally, someone with Kobe's ht/ wt. and a all-star forward. Pau getting old is doing this team in.
Duncan had Robinson. But it was Duncan who got them over the hump along with Parker and Ginobili.
Lebron had Wade last yr, and Wade had a tougher Haslem in 06' and Zo.
The Mavs had Dirk, Terry, Kidd and great role players (Barea and Stevenson)
The Lakers had Kobe, Horry, Fox and D- Fish; Shaq would not have won without that crew and neither would KB.
OKC is fine without Perkins, they have 2 legit stars, a rising star in Ibaka and a bench.

You just need a defensive-minded & committed center and Dwight is not committed unless he gets his shots. The same scenario for Bynum and then Shaq in his later years. Kobe and Kevin Love would've been really nice. I thought it would've been a better move than the Dwight trade.
frankrj

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 pm

frankrj wrote: Kobe and Kevin Love would've been really nice. I thought it would've been a better move than the Dwight trade.

and when exactly did we have a chance @ Love? :man3:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm

khmrP wrote:
frankrj wrote: Kobe and Kevin Love would've been really nice. I thought it would've been a better move than the Dwight trade.

I believe it was a LONG time ago when Kevin wasn't the player he is now and when Gasol was a hell of a lot better player than he is now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:

I believe it was a LONG time ago when Kevin wasn't the player he is now and when Gasol was a hell of a lot better player than he is now.

so basically his 1st 2 seasons at best then? Cause I dont ever recall any Love rumors for Pau until last season and at best thats all created from our side.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:

so basically his 1st 2 seasons at best then? Cause I dont ever recall any Love rumors for Pau until last season and at best thats all created from our side.

No there were some legitimate rumors, but at the time they seemed silly from OUR end. So yeah, it must have been a really long time ago. We considered it, but Kevin was just a pup at the time and he wasn't the beast he is now. While Gasol was playing like the best Power Forward in the game, but not quite enough. I'd assume it was 2011 or so.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:

^^ I remember that as well. I don't know how for real it was, though. I remember it being mentioned though. My vague recollection is it was the summer before Phil's last year?
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 pm

^ Yeah I think so. I just remember saying something like "we don't know if he'll be a flash in the pan or a real star and we need to win NOW so I'd rather roll with Gasol".

Hindsight. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Yeah I think so. I just remember saying something like "we don't know if he'll be a flash in the pan or a real star and we need to win NOW so I'd rather roll with Gasol".

Yeah, its easy to forget but there was a lot of doubt around Love when he was coming into the league. No one thought he had the body to play the 4.
phoenixrisingla

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 pm

yea and all that speculation wasn't from Minn at all, it was just made up by some writers who thought it was a good idea for Minn to pair up Ricky with Pau. Minn never had any interest in that swap.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:46 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ Yeah I think so. I just remember saying something like "we don't know if he'll be a flash in the pan or a real star and we need to win NOW so I'd rather roll with Gasol".

Yeah, its easy to forget but there was a lot of doubt around Love when he was coming into the league. No one thought he had the body to play the 4.

Well he was kind of fat and slow. He wasn't a knock down shooter yet. Everyone knew about the rebounding prowess, but doubted he'd have the speed/quickness to rebound with the NBA guys.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 pm

can't believe we had cp3 and it got vetoed. this season would probably be a complete 180 if we had his leadership, defense, and ultimate respect by kobe, ability to draw so much attention on his penetration, lobs for Dwight etc

but I think Dantoni has to play guys like Meeks and Clark more bc the team needs some youth and energy. Dwight isn't bringing it consistently and neither is pau. Clark seems to be the only constant and Meeks plays cry hard too even when his shot isn't falling unlike the rest of the team. guys need to play lose and just have fun like they did with Bernie. Don't worry bc when they're stressed every shot and miss puts so much pressure on them. our best game was when guys just went out there and had fun. smiles everywhere against a solid nuggets team. guys came off the bench and stepped up and just played loose. this seasons record puts so much pressure on them....just play loose with a lot of energy and fun and just share the ball and move a lot on both ends.
Ariza3

Postby frankrj on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Pau for Love was a rumor created last year. Actually it was in the works but Minnesota wanted more in the trade. Pau was on the decline and Love was shining with crazy high double double stats.

CP3 would've done nothing. The other Laker players are still slow and aging. You get flashes of defense but it is unsustainable. True youth and energy is what is lacking. Just a few years ago we had guys who fit the system and would've fit this system ( Ariza, Odom and Shannon Brown). Acquiring old all-stars and chronically injured players is always a roll of the dice.
frankrj

Postby Azndude2190 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 pm

I would probably wait until Kobe retires and then start from scratch.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby cthroatgtr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:49 pm

frankrj wrote:Pau for Love was a rumor created last year. Actually it was in the works but Minnesota wanted more in the trade. Pau was on the decline and Love was shining with crazy high double double stats.

CP3 would've done nothing. The other Laker players are still slow and aging. You get flashes of defense but it is unsustainable. True youth and energy is what is lacking. Just a few years ago we had guys who fit the system and would've fit this system ( Ariza, Odom and Shannon Brown). Acquiring old all-stars and chronically injured players is always a roll of the dice.

That was going to be CP3 & Dwight. Everyone knew it including dickhead in Cleveland.
cthroatgtr

Postby ramsay13 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am

Trade dwight and keep pau.
ramsay13

Postby Lakeshow24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 am

Fire Antoni. Trade Pau for filler/athletes who can rebound and offer at least a decent post presence. Keep Nash, Dwight, Kobe and all the filler/athletes. Beg Phil to return. If not, let Bickerstaff coach the remainder of the season until next year we hire either Phil, Adelman, Sloan, or Shaw.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:47 pm

Instead of handing the reigns to

Maybe

Should sell

To the guy who owns this:

(hint, he just bought the Dodgers along with this guy)

Then we might continue to see more

"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 pm

^ :jam2:
phoenixrisingla

Postby Melo56 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Trade Dwight if we do we can get cap space maybe ship mwp Blake out with him

If we execute the right trade we could get young and another star.

Dwight is a team killer his play is not worth the trouble.

Nash can't defend the elite pg these days we need a young guard that can play with Nash a Bradley type that can play d. Then move Kobe to small.

On offense we need to slow it down Kobe should set picks and roll out for a jumper like rondo and Allen used too.Gasol and Dwight shoukd be playing a two man game down low setting picks for each other. No team should out rebound us. We need more second chance shots and way to many teams get offensive rebounds on us.

Nash should shoot ATleast 10 to 12 a game
Kobe needs to cut his shots in half.
Pau should get more shots then Dwight a game.
Dwight should be r rebounding defensive monster a better Ben Wallace. He will not be shaq ever he is a different player.

We need an enforcer every team has one a tough guy. Nobody should get in r paint without getting hurt.

Biggest thing no depth Metta can't defend, jamison is washed up, Blake is worthless, duhon and Morris r d league players.Jordan hill is missed, Meeks is garbage. Clark and sacre ATleast show effort.

If we had no injuries we would still be ATleast 6th seed.

If we don't make a trade at deadline or ATleast sign free agents Mitch should be fired.
Melo56

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion