How would you get this team back on track?

How would you get this team back on track?

Postby Armani on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Topic title says it all. The condition is, you can't trade Kobe... he's got to retire as a Laker. What moves would you make, as a GM, to turn this purple and gold titanic around?
Armani

Re: How would you get this team back on track?

Postby Vlade_12 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:42 pm

ship Gasols a$$ out
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:49 pm

I honestly don't know. Seems to me the coach needs to go, bench needs to be improved, Pau needs to go, it's almost a start over type of scenario. I know the Laker don't rebuild, but this team is old at it's core, it feels like that once in a lifetime rebuild moment.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby robKBMJ on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Since management has already commited to MDA, trade Gasol and give him the team he wants and let them get as much time to gel for the remainder of the season. Whether we make playoffs or not is moot at this point, plan for next season and get the next team ready long before training camp.
robKBMJ

Postby 24K GOLD on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm

We can't and we won't this season...this team is too dysfunctional. We'd need the offseason to assess the team and make necessary changes.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 pm

FIRE THE COACH.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Build around Dwight

People think he's overrated because of the crap we're getting from him now but he really was amazing from 08-11. He's still young and I think he can get back to that level but clearly this situation isn't working out well at all. The roster just doesn't work
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Wait till 2014-2015 season and rebuild
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm no expert, but it really does seem like Gasol has value, and should be moved. The best ball I've seen this team play has been without Gasol.

I'm not sure about Jamison - if there's something he's offering that I'm not seeing I can accept that. But from where I sit, he seems incredibly slow on defense, and offensively doesn't bring much unique to the table. I'd rather have somebody young and fast tossing bricks and cutting.

Besides those 2, I think the roster can work. When you actually see them firing, it's not a bad thing to watch.

Within the roster, I see 3 things happen a lot:

*Howard is easy to take out of games. If he's got good position and somehow got the ball, just foul and he'll go 1/2.

*Turnovers off of entry passes. Bynum had the ability to get fed, back in and make a move to score. Dwight has a really limited post game in comparison, and needs entry passes into crowded areas. It looks unstoppable when it works, and a mess when it doesn't. I'd rather see a mid-range shot go up, and let him battle for a board.

*Nash doesn't do Steve Nash stuff. He brings the ball up, there's a mess of screens, and the ball ends up out of his hands outside the 3 point line, not moving. He isn't creating and he isn't shooting. He needs to develop better chemistry with whoever is rolling off the screen. I'd actually rather see Kobe or Clark doing that as opposed to Dwight.
SpencerHarrison

Postby TaniBoyz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Lakeshow24 wrote:FIRE THE COACH.

this
then I'll let the players play free(no system), let them get the feel of each other
maybe it will built up chemistry and make them gel
TaniBoyz

Postby Vlade_12 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Trade Gasol for a young wing with potential or a point guard

Sign a young SF Anthony Morrow
Let Jamison walk, cut Duhon, trade Blake

Dwight Sacre
Clark Hill
Morrow MWP
Kobe Meeks
(Gasol Trade) Nash
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby JGC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Moving Gasol isnt the answer. People just looking for a quick fix.

I would just start over in 2014.... This team cannot realistically be salvaged abd while I would say blow it up, in 2014 we can start over.
JGC

Postby JGC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Moving Gasol isnt the answer. People just looking for a quick fix.

I would just start over in 2014.... This team cannot realistically be salvaged abd while I would say blow it up, in 2014 we can start over.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 pm

JGC wrote:Moving Gasol isnt the answer. People just looking for a quick fix.

Laker fans don't like to hear 'patience' and 'start over', that is the problem, we are not used to that, the Lakers don't do that. THIS though, looks like the time to do that, our team is old at it's core, they don't play together, they don't have chemistry, if there was EVER a rebuilding time, this is it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 pm

If we had enough time, I'd propose working on one thing at a time. Boxing out on rebounds. Work on it in practice. Get it down. P&R defense. Work on it. Get it down. Helping the helper? Work on it. Get it down.

Unforunately, we don't have any time. We have to get it done now.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm

It's also tough to develop trust and chemistry when you're losing. Like anything in life, no matter how much money you are being paid, being on the wrong end of a competition is potentially embarrassing. Maybe the fact that it's happening to highly lauded, wealthy athletes makes it worse. This isn't a minor thing, it's bordering on one of the most humiliating events in NBA history. The pressure to create, to change and to turn around overnight must be immense.

There's no easy answers
SpencerHarrison

Postby Lakers808 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:13 pm

im not watching the lakers anymore until they reach .500 which at this point looks like it would take forever. I'll check the scores if they won or not, but im not watching them, this is really pathetic. I've been watching the laker since showtime and this is worse than the times where we had sedale threatt and those boys.
Lakers808

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Closing is an issue too. Answering practiced execution with practiced execution. The reason is, this team doesn't have a whole lot of practice executing in tight situations.

Look at the Heat and Bulls games. We hung in, hung in, hung in - and got utterly decimated in the final few minutes. All our shots seem to miss or be turnovers, and all theirs seem to sink effortlessly in. It's torturous to watch.
SpencerHarrison

Postby quartzcharm on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:35 pm

First: Gasol must be dealt, ideally for a back up center and an average small forward (someone that can start)...not a scorer, but rather an athletic defender so that Kobe doesn't have to exert so much energy on D. I don't know exactly who those 2 players are, but someone to fill those spots. Make Clark the permanent starter at the 4 and move MWP back to the bench for some firepower.

Second: Since it's highly unlikely that management would get rid of Pringles at this point, the coaching staff has got to find a way to connect with the players. It's seems like they are so far disconnected that Pringles doesn't have the slightest clue about the strengths and weaknesses of his team.
quartzcharm

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 pm

I would fire Mike D'antoni and become head coach. I would practice defense a lot more, and let them play a free style offense. Almost like pick up basketball. It would do better than 17-24 I can tell you that.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:48 pm

I just read a post on another message board that got me thinking.

Is it possible Mitch needs to go? It's hard to imagine blaming him after getting Dwight, Nash, and Pau for us. But he's also been atrocious at evaluating talent and finding good role players for this team. These past few years the Lakers have been surrounded with garbage bench players and they've tried to survive on top heavy talent alone. IT DOESN'T WORK. Look at the Clippers and how ridiculously productive their role players are and how little they gave up to acquire them. We used to complain our bench sucked during the repeat years but we still won because of how good our best players were. Now our bench REALLY sucks and our stars aren't good enough to make up for that. If Mitch doesn't have the eye to evaluate talent then he should be fired
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Now we're blaming Mitch? Lol some fans....
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby odom1year on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 pm

1. More offense starts from D12.
2. Sharing mode of Kobe, atleast first 3 quarters.
3. No more 3 ball from Pau. Get him the ball in his comfortable zone.
4. More attention in defense.
Last edited by odom1year on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odom1year

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 pm

No, mitch isn't the problem. On paper this team looked great, and it just comes down to execution. Mitch's job is to get you the team that sounds like it would work best.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:No, mitch isn't the problem. On paper this team looked great, and it just comes down to execution. Mitch's job is to get you the team that sounds like it would work best.

On paper Kobe/Nash/Howard/Pau looked great. The bench always looked like s*** and we all wanted to look past it. And seeing as how none of those guys except maybe Kobe have performed that well, you need depth to survive in this league. Mitch hasn't done a good job of addressing depth in years. That's on him
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion