How do you feel after losing Dwight?

Re: How do you feel after losing Dwight?

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:15 am

I'm glad he's gone. I had grown tired of his kindergarten post moves, dumb arse technicals, smiling mug and bricklayer free throws. I think Mitch, Kobe, Nash and Pau all went out of their way to make him feel valued and wanted. He never wanted to be here. He never wanted to be a Laker. No way did he measure up to Mikan, Wilt, Kareem or Shaquille. He didn't have the mindset to lead us to titles no. 17, 18 and 19. Good riddance.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby nameant on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 am

Haha...straight up coward. Have fun not winning ish in Houston...and being on the Houston Rockets..lol. I always said a 100% healthy Bynum was better than Dwight. If Bynum coulda stayed healthy...no reason to have traded for this bum. Oh well.
nameant

Postby kakafung on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:48 am

honestly feeling the end of the day when heard the news of departure
but it's gone right now and hope the lakers can make some damn success under the current roster
i know it's a tough coming season compared to 2005 year (maybe worse than that year )
but still stand by the team no matter what circumstance
kakafung

Postby Pig Miller on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 am

2 things bothered me about it:

1) we waste at least 1 year of kobe's remaining career with a lottery bound team

2) on the larger front, concerns me that this might be a tipping point of losing the FA that we want to retain, something that we've never had issues with before. and in relation to this, the equity of the laker brand, and whether it's taken a hit.
Pig Miller

Postby 432J on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:00 am

dwight never even wanted to be in LA in the first place, brooklyn was his team of choice but he ended up in LA only when they failed to acquire him
432J

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 am

Dwight kept blaming MDA's system for his departure...and his sources keep reinforcing it because he knows people will buy it but here are the facts...fat Shaq on his last days had a resurgent year in Phoenix, played at an All star level under MDA's system

And last year because he was injured he wasn't performing well not because of MDA and his system. Look at the stats Dwight had the 2nd most post up opportunities of ANY player in the league and yet he was ranked 33rd in efficiency. SMH

https://twitter.com/TenPercentNinja/status/353360828034056192

Howard: 2nd in post ups, 33 out of 37th in efficiency for players with 200+ possessions. .746 PPP in post vs 1.302 PPP on PnR

PPP = Points per play

He'll do well in Houston but dont point the finger at other people Dwight for your departure in LA, you had your own set of issues and you just couldnt battle through them and be effective here

He just ran from the pressure of accountability that he'll be facing in LA. He probably will do better in Houston than he did in LA because they have a better fir and hes healthier but nobody gives a rip if he wins or not over there and thats probably the biggest reason why he'll play better

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:19 pm

After sitting back and letting the initial wave of thoughts on Dwight and his decision go by, I wanted to really step back and look at the whole situation as a whole. Some of these thoughts are my own, as well as what I think the FO saw.....

Game 4 NBA Finals 2009 (Lakers up 2-1).....Dwight in pre-game is throwing half court underhand passes at the hoop, Kobe is in Mamba mode. One man wants to go up 3-1 and win a ring, the other is still being a child. 3rd quarter, Kobe and D12 tussle for a ball. Kobe rips the ball out of D12's hands. A SG rips the ball away from a prime D12. Kobe is fired up, talking crap to D12, D12 is laughing. A deciding game in the finals and D12 still has yet to show that fire that all champions have shown over the years. The FO got a good look at a guy that isn't a number 1 option or player you turn the franchise over to with D12 putting up 15/15/4 in 43 minutes a game. On the big stage, he went over the 20 point mark once. That's an above average 2nd option, great 3rd option, but is it worth the headache.....

1.) Knicks game vs. Magic....laughing on the bench and telling Knicks fans to cheer louder in a game the Magic got blown out.

2.) New Jersey Nets game....Ryan Anderson on the floor, D12 comes over and acts like he is using a defibrillator on him.

3.) Bulls game.....Glen Davis goes to the floor in 4th quarter....D12 acts like he is using a defribillator on him.

4.) Don't remember the game....D12 and Jameer get benched for awful play and they can be seen laughing and not taking things too serious at all. Also refused to join team huddle.

5.) Don't remember the game....D12 gets called for a travel or offensive foul...he takes ball walks to halfcourt, turns and throws/rolls the ball away from ref....delay of game/technical.

6.) Chatting up a group of fans in the '10 ECF and Rashard actually had to go over and tell Dwight where to go for the inbound pass. JVG even went out of his way to point out how Howard wasn't paying attention

Now throw in him never taking anything serious and dancing around pre-game and all the stuff he has done off the court. At this point in his career, he has shown he is not a number 1 option, but a great 2nd or 3rd option to have, but does that mean he is worth 20 million and the constant headache of being a spoiled little kid, coach killer, cry baby all while being the face of the Lakers?.....

Getting Stern'd - This is one of the key events that has led me to believe D12 was never the number 1 option for us, he was always an accessory piece in the grand scheme of things. We got CP3 first, not D12 and everyone knew what was coming next.....D12. He wasn't the go to piece of the puzzle, we needed to get a player that could maximize D12 and keep him in check, while not having him be a 1st or 2nd option. Kobe/CP3 THEN D12. That deal was the meat and potatoes, D12 was just the dressing that could be added if the FO was ok dealing with the baggage that unhealthy player has shown to be. But still we were determined to make this work......

The Nash trade - Once again, we get a PG that could maximize D12. Another example of the FO getting player X before setting their sights on Dwight. If D12 was THE piece to have, I would have to think that we would have gotten him first AND then the PG's. But as we've seen with D12's lone season and for those that have watched him play in Orlando, the guy simply can't play unless there is someone breaking down the defense and lobbing it to the hoop. Sounds like a great 2nd/3rd option, but at this point he still hasn't shown any indication that he is a number 1/face of the franchise guy. Still a big headache on and off the court. Could this be reaching for something or grasping at straws? Sure, but the evidence builds....

MDA/Doc Rivers/Lakers FO - The Clips believe that CP3 is their guy, number 1 and leader, what do they do, they go out and TRADE for a coach. They didn't settle for what was available, they went out and go a guy that cemented CP3 in LA. What do the Lakers do? They keep MDA, they deny D12 any satisfaction of seeing Phil take over or be given a prominent role in the organization. AND on top of that, they don't give MDA the assistants he wants. Nash and Kobe gave MDA their blessing, why should the FO care what the 2nd/3rd option thinks. D12 could deal with it or move on, work it out or hit the road, grow up or remain of 28 year old child running from adversity. The FO could have made roster/personnel moves to appease Dwight, but didn't, why bend over backwards for a guy that has yet to show that he's grown up, accepts his faults and wants to lead instead of follow?

Kobe - Even before D12 was a Laker, Kobe knew what D12 was, a Tyson Chandler on roids. He wasn't lying and having seen D12 for awhile now, that's exactly what Dwight is. From the lashing Kobe gave him after the Memphis game to the meeting where he basically told him that you learn to win from me, Kobe was testing to man up, accept his faults and work towards becoming what Lebron figured out in Miami. To win at this level, when you step on the court you need that killer instinct. Leave the games for Xbox. Dwight turned his back because that was too much, he wants to have fun, he wants to make fun of people in the locker room, it's just a game. It's not about legacy, championships, winning it's about friends, laughing and blaming others. Kobe knows how much this franchise means to the fans, the city, the NBA, he's not just going to hand it over to some chump with attitude problem. He pushed Dwight to the edge and instead of fighting back and facing the challenge, D12 turned jumped off the edge with a parachute and does what he always does, falls until he lands in a new spot to wear out his welcome and jump again.

When I read the news that D12 left, I wasn't shocked, surprised, mad, sad, I smiled. This is Dwight, this is the guy that has shown time and time again that he will run when pushed, cry when he doesn't get his way and tear apart a team and the locker room because it's all about Dwight. He will wave around a stat sheet behind closed doors telling everyone how great he is and how he should be getting the ball, but take no pride in showing he deserves it on the court. He is the guy that will always tell you about his best, but blame the injuries when things go South. Everything that has happened went according to plan, the Lakers stuck to the high road and dared an arrogant headache to leave because he wasn't worth the price of admission, Dwight stuck to the low road because it's what Dwight does.

Thanks Dwight, if you taught the Lakers anything, it's stick to your guns and not bend over backwards for a 2nd/3rd option that will turn his back on you the second he doesn't get his way. A 28 year old that still hasn't figured it out yet. Take all of your baggage and headache you cause and tell Houston about your best because....

"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen"
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Great post Doc, I agree with so much of that. I'll also add, to go along with that play where Kobe ripped the ball from Dwight and was all fired up, Pau Gasol dominated Dwight that entire series. Dwight had one impressive game that series, one, the one with a ton of blocks and boards. Aside from that Pau had his way, and was left to guard Dwight one on one, and Dwight couldn't do a thing about it. "Soft" Pau stood his ground and made Dwight look average. So I'm with you and realdeal now, CP3 was always the real target, Dwight was to put 3rd with him and Kobe. They wanted Dwight obviously, but not bad enough to give him whether he wanted, or 'Antoni would be gone right now. I'm not sorry he's gone, I said all season long that if he stayed I was going to have such a hard time rooting for him. I never saw in him a guy that valued winning above all else, and after watching Kobe for 17 years it's so hard to accept and root for a guy like that, the opposite of Kobe.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm

great post Doc.

I think people have to take a step or two back and look at the bigger picture.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Weezy wrote:Great post Doc, I agree with so much of that. I'll also add, to go along with that play where Kobe ripped the ball from Dwight and was all fired up, Pau Gasol dominated Dwight that entire series. Dwight had one impressive game that series, one, the one with a ton of blocks and boards. Aside from that Pau had his way, and was left to guard Dwight one on one, and Dwight couldn't do a thing about it. "Soft" Pau stood his ground and made Dwight look average. So I'm with you and realdeal now, CP3 was always the real target, Dwight was to put 3rd with him and Kobe. They wanted Dwight obviously, but not bad enough to give him whether he wanted, or 'Antoni would be gone right now. I'm not sorry he's gone, I said all season long that if he stayed I was going to have such a hard time rooting for him. I never saw in him a guy that valued winning above all else, and after watching Kobe for 17 years it's so hard to accept and root for a guy like that, the opposite of Kobe.

Yeah I think we're all on the right track here and now I'm waiting for the media to catch up.

Is losing a guy of Dwight's talent going to hurt? Of course. It's why we had to go out and get Chris Kaman and why we're not going to be a very good team this season. But if losing him means we get to reset AWAY from a 2nd option/3rd option player then I'm okay with that.

You're both right, and Kobe was too, Dwight is much closer to Tyson Chandler then he is to Shaquille O'Neal. A great guy to throw in at the end as a cherry on top. He is extremely important, but that cherry on top doesn't do much if there's no real Sundae beneath it. Without Paul AND Kobe, Dwight wasn't going to be enough.

That's why I thought that Dwight's value to this franchise was basically as a way to draw players in here. It was as a way to get someone ELSE to come in and be the man. But they realized that he didn't even have the humility to be that guy, so they LET HIM GO. So sure, "blame" the Lakers FO for not making the moves to keep Howard. I'll gladly agree and I'll point to Doc's post so that you realize why.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 pm

ICE CUBE! :jam2:

*Warning: Strong Language*
Spoiler:

EDIT: Have to use Spoiler tags if the video title bypasses the site swear filter. - TIME
Last edited by Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:23 pm

That about sums up what a lot of us would like to say. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Ariza3 wrote:ICE CUBE! :jam2:

*** Warning: Does include strong language***

FYI, in the future make sure you worn people a head of time. It doesn't bother me, but I know the MODS wants to keep this as much a family friendly site as possible.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:26 pm

i want to see what flea and jack had to say
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:30 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:i want to see what flea and jack had to say

Especially jack :man1:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby last stand on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm

He's a great player who just proved all of the people who said he's got a couple screws loose right. He had an opportunity to show growth, show that he was ready to take on adversity, push forward, better himself through it

Pressure forms diamonds

Dwight chose to run, and not like Lebron run, no Lebron gave 7 years to his franchise. Dwight gave us 2 months of healthy play, made every excuse possible to explain his leaving.

He could have made himself into a icon of this generation. Instead he'll be lucky to even have a name longer than Alonzo mourning (who at least helped fight kidney disease)

He made the wrong choice and will regret it. When he's paying child support for 6 kids he'll want that 30 million, when Houston lets him walk in 4 years, he'll regret it. When he goes ringless he'll regret it, when we have our new star getting all kinds of air time on ESPN he'll regret it. When he sees how great Mitch is at building teams hell regret it

Lebron (who is much better than Howard) left and struggled to win 2 despite having a fellow all time great in wade and a all star in bosh

Interesting that Howard really believes that a really good player in harden and a decent player in parsons is enough
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Midway through the season, on a snowy night in Denver, I'd asked Bryant a similar set of questions. About why he thought the Lakers had felt comfortable entrusting him with their franchise back in 2004, and whether the same would happen to Howard this offseason. He paused a second to chew on it, carefully considering his words and the implications of his answer.

"I think if you ask management, it was a very easy call," he said. "They'd been around me long enough to know my competitiveness, know my work ethic, and they knew that my drive was going to be enough that they felt safe putting the franchise in my hands."

As for Howard?

"That's a call they have to make," Bryant said. "This franchise has obviously seen some of the greats of all time, so they know what that looks like."
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:16 pm

“@kaj33: Howard is an example of the fact that potential-has-a-shelf-life. Laker fans, be patient, allow Mitch & Co. to work the free agent market.”
Ariza3

Postby kobe_mamba on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:52 pm

nameant wrote:Haha...straight up coward. Have fun not winning ish in Houston...and being on the Houston Rockets..lol. I always said a 100% healthy Bynum was better than Dwight. If Bynum coulda stayed healthy...no reason to have traded for this bum. Oh well.

Agreed. I am on record on several occasions before the D12-Bynum trade as saying I believed that a healthy, motivated Bynum was a better prospect than D12. Bynum had or could have So much more to offer than D12 on offesne and not far behind on rebounding and even defense.
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Most of the Laker fans I know were not surprised and said good riddance. All of them to a man said he did not have the heart to carry the responsibility of being the Laker franchise bearer.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:34 pm

gcclaker wrote:Most of the Laker fans I know were not surprised and said good riddance. All of them to a man said he did not have the heart to carry the responsibility of being the Laker franchise bearer.

Would be have even gotten a chance to meet with him if we couldnt an extra $30M? Serious question. Based on his interviews that was really the hard part about leaving LA.

On a side note, where's my man JSJ at? Dont remember seeing a post from him since the Clown bounced.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Most of the Laker fans I know were not surprised and said good riddance. All of them to a man said he did not have the heart to carry the responsibility of being the Laker franchise bearer.

Would we have even gotten a chance to meet with him if we couldnt an extra $30M? Serious question. Based on his interviews that was really the hard part about leaving LA.

On a side note, where's my man JSJ at? Dont remember seeing a post from him since the Clown bounced.

30 mil is a boat load of cash. My answer is no. On an even field offer wise, I don't think the Lakers even stood a chance. Our pitches to him would have been just to feed his ego.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Ariza3 wrote:ICE CUBE! :jam2:

*Warning: Strong Language*
Spoiler:

EDIT: Have to use Spoiler tags if the video title bypasses the site swear filter. - TIME

:man10: :man10: :man10: :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerJack on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Thank God no more HackaHoward. I hope he becomes another Bynum and the Rockets are stuck with him at 20+ mil per year for the next 4 years.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby slimjim on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:04 am

I was VERY excited when we landed Dwight! Admittedly, I rarely watched Orlando so I knew nothing about Dwight's game.

People always mentioned him being the top centre in the league... so I was excited based on praise alone. We were getting the "best" centre in the league! why wouldn't I be excited.

As the season wore on... I began to see Dwight as a COMPLETE liability on O. Every time he touched the ball on O, I cringed. His post game is non-existent. He couldn't even do simple PNR plays. Most his baskets were spoonfed.

We lacked a consistent scoring punch on O all season long... and I knew it was because the lakers forced the ball through Dwight... even though it made no sense whatsoever. Dude is terrible.

When we needed a basket. I was confident in throwing the ball into shaq, gasol, and bynum. Dwight? I'd rather kobe take a long range contested 2. There was not one game this season where I thought... Dwight is one bad MF.

My reaction to dwight not signing with the lakers? Dodged a bullet. We are going to struggle next season no doubt but I see it as not wasting the next 5+ years trying to build something around Dwight.

The lakers almost had to offer dwight the max. Even if he didn't deserve it.

I think Houston is going to struggle ALOT. The fans are going to quickly realize the limitations of Dwight on O.

I've lurked the houston rockets forums and they are very excited to have Dwight. They think he is going to flourish in the PNR oriented offense with houston. (We have one of best PGs/Coach combos for the PNR offense... yet dwight couldn't do SQUAT)

My prediction? 4th seed at best for houston.
slimjim

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion