Initial fallout from Howard decision

Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby emplay on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Hey all,

A lot to catch up on – but the obvious happened with Dwight – he wanted out at his opening press conference and the Lakers were unable to turn that no into a yes. Not that they helped with some of the choices they made.

Dwight Howard's departure gives Lakers a hefty luxury tax cut
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 0549.story

World Peace could depart via amnesty, saving Lakers about $19 million
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 7227.story

Shaquille O'Neal needles Dwight Howard on departure from Lakers and "little town" Houston
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 0156.story

Oddsmaker: Lakers' long odds to win 2014 title get longer
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 4761.story

Kobe Bryant 'unfollows' former teammate Dwight Howard on Twitter
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 8220.story

Thanks

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst
 
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:05 pm

good read E... bottom line MWP is gone
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

Image
Image
User avatar
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster
 
Posts: 21144
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: In The Refridgerator

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:15 pm

^^ Agreed. I love Ron. He's one of my favorite players to wear the Purple and Gold. I've always been a fan of his game. But it is officially time to part ways. There's nothing that he can bring us any longer. We're not going to be in contention this year or next. We need to rebuild, and we need to lower the payroll. It will be better for him too because if we cut him loose via amnesty, he still gets paid, but he can go somewhere else and maybe try to get another ring in his final years. It was great fun to have him here and we don't win that ring against Those Guys without his defense throughout on Pierce and his especially epic play in game 7 of the Finals. I love this guy known as MWP. But it's time to let him go. End of an era. I'll miss his toughness, his humor, his crazy but heart-felt statements to the press. It was a blast to have him. :bow: :jam2:
Lakerjones

 
Posts: 14886
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Haha.. I love how on point Shaq is with his Dwight bashing.. The kid doesn't have what it takes to step up under the kind of pressure that comes with being a Laker.. He couldn't handle being expected to win a ring every single year or be considered a failure.. That's why he'll never be a great player, he has none of the characteristics of the greats..
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:23 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Haha.. I love how on point Shaq is with his Dwight bashing.. The kid doesn't have what it takes to step up under the kind of pressure that comes with being a Laker.. He couldn't handle being expected to win a ring every single year or be considered a failure.. That's why he'll never be a great player, he has none of the characteristics of the greats..


That was a nice jab. Good stuff from Shaq. I won't throw dirt on Dwight's career yet, though. The guy might elevate his game - you just don't know. I think it's too bad that we won't see first hand, but I also get the kind of sour grapes thing since he left us. But yeah, Shaq was on the money. Pretty funny stuff.
Lakerjones

 
Posts: 14886
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby borri on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Fallout from Dwightmare.

PHI - screwed.
LAL - screwed.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8027
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby OX1947 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Everyone would have been better off had Brooklyn been able to make the deal last year for him.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:51 pm

We must amnesty Metta, he is not worth the 19 mil he will cost after luxury taxes, and it's time to move on.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 49736
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Weezy wrote:We must amnesty Metta, he is not worth the 19 mil he will cost after luxury taxes, and it's time to move on.


Very true.
Lakerjones

 
Posts: 14886
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm

borri wrote:Fallout from Dwightmare.

PHI - screwed.
LAL - screwed.

so orlando ends up winning the dwight trade
:man10: :man10: :man10:

isn't it just ridiculous how things work out?
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4493
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:02 pm

borri wrote:Fallout from Dwightmare.

PHI - screwed.
LAL - screwed.



Check back in a year or two for Houston to added to that list....

McHale fired...
Team strife....
Stat sheets shown to reporters because Harden took too many shots....

The will wish they hadn't gotten him before too long is my guess.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 21105
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Coeur D' Alene, ID and Chandler AZ

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby scissors on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Harden/Howard duo is not gonna win championships period. Howard just sealed the deal on never winning a ring in his career by going there.
User avatar
scissors

 
Posts: 4169
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby GNC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:38 pm

scissors wrote:Harden/Howard duo is not gonna win championships period. Howard just sealed the deal on never winning a ring in his career by going there.


I read somewhere about them being the next kobe and shaq... all i could do was laugh. :man10: :man10:
Image
User avatar
GNC

 
Posts: 16371
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: Next to Kate Upton

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby bigdog2013 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:42 pm

"It was expected," Shaq said. "We've all been in LA, and not a whole lot of people can handle being under the bright lights. Everybody wants to do it, but when you get there, there are certain pressures. I think it was a safe move for him to go to a little town like Houston. That's right, little town. I said it."
bigdog2013

 
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 am

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby GNC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:43 pm

and mods.. can we get rid of Dwight's mug from the banner up top?
Image
User avatar
GNC

 
Posts: 16371
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: Next to Kate Upton

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby gcclaker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:44 pm

...like clockwork The Big Disser with the comments.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby bigdog2013 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:55 pm

SHAQ ‏@SHAQ 24h
Is BYNUM GOIN BACK TO THE LAKERS NOW
bigdog2013

 
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 am

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby borri on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:59 pm

432J wrote:
borri wrote:Fallout from Dwightmare.

PHI - screwed.
LAL - screwed.

so orlando ends up winning the dwight trade
:man10: :man10: :man10:

isn't it just ridiculous how things work out?


LOL indeed.

Instead of ONE team in rebuilding mode....we now have three. All because of the Dwightmare.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8027
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby borri on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:01 pm

^^^

If DEN sucks this year you can add them to the list too. All FA's acquired via that D12 trade bolted....Bynum just need bolts in his knees. :man12:
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8027
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby charvin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:45 pm

You could actually add Denver in. They lost Iguodala anyhow, just that they're still a good team even prior to the trade.

borri wrote:^^^

If DEN sucks this year you can add them to the list too. All FA's acquired via that D12 trade bolted....Bynum just need bolts in his knees. :man12:
charvin

 
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby OX1947 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Who gives a (bleep) what that hypocrite Shaq says. He did 10 times worse by asking to get out of LA like a little girl. Howard left as a free agent. Shaq was a 40 free throw gifting to Wade away from NEVER winning a title without Kobe Bryant in the starting lineup. And even still, the most dominant player of all time won 1 title without Kobe and barely won that one.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby borri on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:51 pm

OX1947 wrote:Who gives a (bleep) what that hypocrite Shaq says. He did 10 times worse by asking to get out of LA like a little girl. Howard left as a free agent. Shaq was a 40 free throw gifting to Wade away from NEVER winning a title without Kobe Bryant in the starting lineup. And even still, the most dominant player of all time won 1 title without Kobe and barely won that one.


To be fair, Shaq left because Buss didn't want to pay him. Ergo the "pay me or trade me."

With this clown, we were willing to pay him the max.

Kind of a big difference.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8027
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby Kangaroo Grandkid on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Amnestying MWP saves the Lakers $19M. How much would amnestying Kobe or Pau instead save?

I know, only one player, total, can be amnestied. I know, you don't want to amnesty Kobe. It's just a question. I'd just like to know how the financials look now, post-Dwightmare.
Kangaroo Grandkid

 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Initial fallout from Howard decision

Postby OX1947 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:38 pm

borri wrote:
OX1947 wrote:Who gives a (bleep) what that hypocrite Shaq says. He did 10 times worse by asking to get out of LA like a little girl. Howard left as a free agent. Shaq was a 40 free throw gifting to Wade away from NEVER winning a title without Kobe Bryant in the starting lineup. And even still, the most dominant player of all time won 1 title without Kobe and barely won that one.


To be fair, Shaq left because Buss didn't want to pay him. Ergo the "pay me or trade me."

With this clown, we were willing to pay him the max.

Kind of a big difference.


He wanted to pay him 20 million a year, not 30 million. I think the 20 went to 25 too.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1762
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am


Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 7 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.