KG interested in the Lakers?

Re: KG interested in the Lakers?

Postby khmrP on Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 pm

therealdeal wrote:Or how about-

Garnett/Pierce/Bradley for Gasol/Hill/Duhon.

Gasol and Duhon mean a lot of money coming off the books. Hill is a decent piece for them if they want him. We get two oldies, but guys we know can perform and a young buck guard that defend the perimeter. They build around Rondo, we continue trying to win now and still have flexibility in a couple years.

Nash/Bradley
Bryant/Meeks?
Pierce/Wright
Garnett/Clark
Howard/Sacre?

That team would do nicely if they... stayed healthy. :man10:

what happened to getting younger and need more athletes? As for Bradley, people falling for false hype, he is a good defender but at the same time he is still an undersized 2 with no handles, can't really shoot well from perimiter and can't create his own shot either. NY had a field day putting on full court press on Bos when Bradley played the 1.
khmrP

Postby revgen on Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 pm

The Clippers can offer more for KG than we can.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby khmrP on Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 pm

as for KG, I'd offer MWP/Duhon/money and call it a day...pretty much clears up more cash for 2014, I know Clipps was offering DJ but does Bos want to commit that type of money to C like DJ? PP can follow KG if he's released for mini MLE :man1:
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Tue May 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Never mind Nash gets stretch provision. 2014/15/16 $3mil/yr

Cap is $70mil and tax is $85mil according to Ireland

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 pm

karacha wrote:
KG is a douchebag. But, I would still like to have him on this team, to play with Dwight and anchor that defense. He's not what he used to be, obviously, but he is still pretty mobile, likes shooting that mid-range jumper (which fits well with Dwight's game), shoots it at around 50% clip and has that defensive attitude that we actually need. Dwight could learn few things from him, namely how to convince your guys to give maximum effort. KG would probably only stay with us briefly to try to win the championship, so I'd seriously think about getting him, if he wants to come. BTW, the guy can still rebound. In any case, getting him would not make us worse then having Pau. And in some ways we'd improve. Is that worth it?

We have Pau, Nash, Duhon... perhaps Mitch can figure it out, I don't know.

If there was some way to get Rondo, I'd pull the trigger on pretty much any deal, seriously. We need a player like that. Yes, he can't shoot well, but rebounds and play D like a madman. He can penetrate the D too.

Some people missed the part of my post that was mostly kidding, but this is my basic take.

If we could somehow convince Boston to give a package of Rondo/Garnett... Then I'd jump up and down for joy. That'd be absolutely ideal. For Boston? No. I would think they could get draft picks which they'd want for Rondo, but if that was somehow feasible, I'd do that in an instant.

As for people saying we need to get younger: this doesn't change that. Even if we got Garnett without Rondo, I might pull the trigger for the right combination of young guys returning (Bradley, Melo, Sullinger types).

Garnett however gives us exactly the things that Gasol can't: good midrange shooting and defense. We lose a bit on the boards and we lose a bit with the passing ability, but we gain so much more with attitude, hunger, and defense. Garnett is a massive jerkwad, but he might be one of the few guys who rivals Kobe's competitiveness. He'd be a good fit next to Howard.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:02 pm

KG is one of the few players I'd go against the youth movement for.. Him & Dwight would be the most imposing defensive frontline I can think of. The culture & intensity he brings to teams would be a huge asset. I'm glad we didn't get him when we had to give up LO & Bynum to do it, but if we can get him for Pau, that's a much better fit. Maybe if we throw in Clark or Hill we could get Rondo or Bradley too. If something like that is possible it's a no brainer.
lakersin4

Postby khmrP on Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 pm

lakersin4 wrote:KG is one of the few players I'd go against the youth movement for.. Him & Dwight would be the most imposing defensive frontline I can think of. The culture & intensity he brings to teams would be a huge asset. I'm glad we didn't get him when we had to give up LO & Bynum to do it, but if we can get him for Pau, that's a much better fit. Maybe if we throw in Clark or Hill we could get Rondo or Bradley too. If something like that is possible it's a no brainer.

yep all that would be nice for bout half of the season which is what I'd expect he last before injuries starts kicking in.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 1:06 pm

khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:KG is one of the few players I'd go against the youth movement for.. Him & Dwight would be the most imposing defensive frontline I can think of. The culture & intensity he brings to teams would be a huge asset. I'm glad we didn't get him when we had to give up LO & Bynum to do it, but if we can get him for Pau, that's a much better fit. Maybe if we throw in Clark or Hill we could get Rondo or Bradley too. If something like that is possible it's a no brainer.

yep all that would be nice for bout half of the season which is what I'd expect he last before injuries starts kicking in.

Which isn't much different from Gasol. Or even from Granger which is the pick we all seem happy with.

We're not going to get an ideal situation here, but he's right. Garnett would definitely change the culture of our team on the defensive end. He'd hold people responsible in a way that Howard simply doesn't.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue May 14, 2013 1:09 pm

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Which isn't much different from Gasol. Or even from Granger which is the pick we all seem happy with.

We're not going to get an ideal situation here, but he's right. Garnett would definitely change the culture of our team on the defensive end. He'd hold people responsible in a way that Howard simply doesn't.

We dont know that bout Granger, this last season was the 1st time he missed the whole season, Garnett has missed signifcant time over the last 3+ seasons.
khmrP

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 1:13 pm

The Rock wrote:Never mind Nash gets stretch provision. 2014/15/16 $3mil/yr

Wait, WHAT?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 1:44 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:

We dont know that bout Granger, this last season was the 1st time he missed the whole season, Garnett has missed signifcant time over the last 3+ seasons.

But Granger couldn't play hardly at all this season and Gasol has the same issues. For that matter so does Love and those are the top 2 people we want right?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:Or how about-

Garnett/Pierce/Bradley for Gasol/Hill/Duhon.

Gasol and Duhon mean a lot of money coming off the books. Hill is a decent piece for them if they want him. We get two oldies, but guys we know can perform and a young buck guard that defend the perimeter. They build around Rondo, we continue trying to win now and still have flexibility in a couple years.

Nash/Bradley
Bryant/Meeks?
Pierce/Wright
Garnett/Clark
Howard/Sacre?

That team would do nicely if they... stayed healthy. :man10:

So would a team of Howard, Gasol, Bryant, and Nash. Oh, wait.

Don't really like the idea of taking on a contract past 2014, but, I guess I could be made to like it.
JGC

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 pm

KG's got game left in him. Id take him personally in limited minutes, but the price is the problem. Same with Nash. (Although if I had a choice Id rather play KG than Nash.....the 28mpg or so him and Dwight are on the court at the same time, we'd be solid).

Polly Piece might be the much better "value" even though KG is the better player, seeing as how its more likely that he's bought out and has to look to sign for nothing with a contender. Its no secret Ainge isn't a favorite of other GMs to work with, and its not gonna be easy to trade Polly.

Obviously this is a long shot, but if we're spitballing here, I think Id be cool if we pulled off something really similar to what Realdeal proposed and traded Gasol for Garnett, and got a young piece like Bradley from Boston in return as well. Catch would be Garnett having talked Pierce into begging the Celtics for a buyout and then signing here for peanuts.

Pierce is from Inglewood I think and Garnett if I remember has/had a summer home in LA. Only minor issue would be that little Lakers Celtics rivalry thing. :man10:
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 2:34 pm

^ So you'd be cool with:
Nash/Bryant/Pierce/Garnett/Howard?

Damn that's a retirement home. :man10:

I'd support Pierce for pennies if he wanted to sign for cheap here. Sure. He's not great anymore, but we could use another guy who can create a shot. I think that duo would also help our team recognize how stars are supposed to integrate WITH each other.

Give us Bradley. Sign a couple young athletic guys off the bench... Okie doke.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue May 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Granger is relatively young for based on his overall PT and he can still recover

Love same scenario, while he does seem injury prone he seems to be the guy who carries the team maybe if he is no longer depended on like he is in Minn he doesn't get worn down as much. Also not even sure why he's in the conversation, that is as pipe of a dream you can get I dont care the rationale, if you're a GM and you're stupid enough to trade away your best player in his prime for a washed up old guy just so you can appease some young dude who might not even be all that great (rubio) then you should get fired on the spot.

KG is just old, Bos played relatively good D because of the coaching and their personel consist of younger more defensive oriented players which we have none at the moment
khmrP

Postby thkthebest on Tue May 14, 2013 3:25 pm

khmrP wrote:KG is just old, Bos played relatively good D because of the coaching and their personel consist of younger more defensive oriented players which we have none at the moment

Boston has consistently fallen apart without KG.

Defense with KG: 100.00 (2nd best in the league)
Defense without: 109.4 (27th in the league)

That's a gigantic difference. Literally, nobody else on that team is anywhere close to those numbers.

With Rondo: 104.7
Without Rondo: 104.6
With Green: 104.7
Without Green: 104.6
With Pierce: 103.7
Without Pierce: 106.4
With Bradley: 105.1
Without Bradley: 104.4
With Terry: 104.4
Without Terry: 105.0

Take a look at anybody else on that team. KG's defensive impact should not be downplayed.

I'd welcome KG, but as people have already mentioned, he can probably only play like 30 mpg. We'd be closer to a championship with KG as opposed to Gasol, but we still have other holes to fill.

Edit: Actually, I don't know if anybody else in the league has on/off defensive numbers with a 9.4 difference...or even close to it.
thkthebest

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ So you'd be cool with:

I'd support Pierce for pennies if he wanted to sign for cheap here. Sure. He's not great anymore, but we could use another guy who can create a shot. I think that duo would also help our team recognize how stars are supposed to integrate WITH each other.

Yea, agreed. Im not thinking championship next year anyways. Id bring Polly off the bench though, and play him and KG just under 30mpg.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Tue May 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ So you'd be cool with:

Yea, agreed. Im not thinking championship next year anyways. Id bring Polly off the bench though, and play him and KG just under 30mpg.

So more like:
Nash/Blake
Bryant/??
??/Pierce
Garnett/Clark
Howard/Hill

I like it if Pierce is willing to do that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Yep. My scenario was pretty much exactly like yours except we kept Hill and the Celtics "kept" Pierce. '

KG and maybe Bradley for a Gasol package (Duhon as you said, or Blake). The key would be Garnett influencing PP to beg for a buyout and following him here, which would make it Gasol and Filler for Garnett, Pierce and maybe Bradley.

But yeah, we'd obviously have to do it "Popovich" style. Low minutes for your main core young or old, sign some respectable young role players, be defensive minded, and bring Pierce off the bench.

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue May 14, 2013 4:17 pm

i don't want any celtics...except maybe rondo
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby lakersin4 on Tue May 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Yep. My scenario was pretty much exactly like yours except we kept Hill and the Celtics "kept" Pierce. '

KG and maybe Bradley for a Gasol package (Duhon as you said, or Blake). The key would be Garnett influencing PP to beg for a buyout and following him here, which would make it Gasol and Filler for Garnett, Pierce and maybe Bradley.

But yeah, we'd obviously have to do it "Popovich" style. Low minutes for your main core young or old, sign some respectable young role players, be defensive minded, and bring Pierce off the bench.

It seems a Pierce buyout will be the first domino to fall. So what we'd likely need to happen is C's buyout Pierce, Pierce signs here cheap & recruits KG.. KG requests the trade & kills their leverage.. Pau & Duhon (maybe Hill) for KG & Bradley. I've already stated what I think KG can do for us but you add in Bradley who could be solid for us for the next decade or so. Sign a good athletic SF (Corey Brewer) & we're set imo. We'd need a backup C if we end up having to give up Hill. or Maybe KG plays some minutes at C like he has been.

Nash/Bradley/Blake
24/Meeks?
Brewer/Pierce
KG/Clark/MWP
D12/Hill?

More athletic & much better defensively despite adding a couple old guys. I think the key to it all is getting Bradley & a wing like Brewer. Without a couple young athletic guys like that in the rotation we could see a repeat of last season.
lakersin4

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue May 14, 2013 4:39 pm

^ I could see that.

Ofcourse it goes without saying that Im not campaigning for this trade or anything, but all for conversation sake.

Tobias Funke

Postby 432J on Tue May 14, 2013 4:50 pm

NO

why the hell would we want to acquire KG and get EVEN OLDER?! as if this team isn't old and worn out enough. he's a scumbag anyways and i laugh at the thought of pierce ever joining the lakers. that POS isn't welcome either
432J

Postby abeer3 on Tue May 14, 2013 5:32 pm

pau/duhon/hill for kg/pierce works under the cap...just sayin'.

granted, boston would probably rather have young players/picks/immediate cap relief, but maybe a third team provides some of that?

one can dream...the 2004 dream team!
abeer3

Postby The Rock on Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
The Rock wrote:Never mind Nash gets stretch provision. 2014/15/16 $3mil/yr

Wait, WHAT?

Now that I think about it, maybe not hmm. I think I misheard it

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team