An Interesting Story Arc for This Lakers Season

An Interesting Story Arc for This Lakers Season

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 pm

This year seems to be about the Lakers having something to prove, and being confronted with, and it looks like possibly overcoming, the most common criticisms of themselves and their careers.

Steve Nash never won the big one, never even WENT to the big dance. Many people blame Phoenix's lack of defense, size, pace of play, perimeter oriented offense, etc. Another thing I consider blaming?? NASH, for not being aggressive enough SHOOTING the ball.

Steve Nash (henceforth to be refereed to by me as Stevie Buckets) has never averaged more than 13.4 shots (and that only once, coincidentally also his biggest scoring year at 18.8 per game) in his illustrious career. Is that the best course of action for someone many consider to be the best pure shooter the game has ever seen???

Dwight Howard is a very talented baby, according to many. He has no maturity or strength of character. He cannot be relied upon in any manner to be a leader or the catalyst for a championship team. The main evidence people use to explain this is his desire to do what is popular, not what is right. They say he wants everyone to love him.

This past year has taught Dwight the folly of that thinking, and I am seeing some genuine growth from him thus far. Having been thrust into the negative spotlight of his own poor decisions and questionable priorities, Dwight has been enduring what, for him, is his worst case scenario. Almost everyone hates him right now...or at least that is how it has to feel for someone so thin skinned.

The thing is, it looks like Dwight is starting to learn a valuable lesson. As long as he believes in himself, and lives up to his own expectations, the rest is just chatter...NOISE. To put it more Cliche-ly (hey, I invented a new word :-) ) “Haters Gonna Hate”. It remains to be seen if Dwight can grow into a championship caliber leader on the court...but so far, as far as I am concerned, progress is slow but trending in the right direction.

Kobe Bryant has nothing to prove, but it has been nice to see the Facilitator role become a necessary new wrinkle for Kobe to add, simultaneously reinforcing and disproving the age old adage that Kobe is a selfish Ball hog. Critics say Nash is being wasted because Kobe won't give the ball away, and supporters contend that Kobe is as effective as anyone in the league when he is facilitating the offense and creating shots for OTHER players...after so many years, this is a welcome and intriguing development in the already storied and exhilarating career of Kobe Bean Bryant.

Pau Gasol doesn't have to prove anything since he won his rings and has had a brilliant career, but the “soft” criticisms still follow him. The mental toughness that he has displayed in this eminently dysfunctional and chaotic season has impressed me greatly. He is showing everyone that he may not be quite as “soft” as everyone says. Coming back from a 10 week injury in 5 weeks to help propel the Lakers into championship contention would be the final icing on the cake in an otherwise miserable season for Pau. Stay Tuned...

Earl Clark and Jordan Hill have been motivated by the “bust” label. They are out to prove that they are more than just useless D-league or inactive list “insurance” bigs. So far so good.

Artest and Blake are simply trying to erase the memory of the past two dreadful seasons that they have had and redeem themselves in the eyes of the Lakers faithful.

Antawn Jamison wanted to sacrifice money and playing time to chase the one thing he has never had...a ring. He is trying to disprove the notion that he is a one dimensional player whose usefulness to a great team is long gone.

Jodie Meeks is out to prove that he is relevant. That he is more than simply an average NBA player. That he can be a key cog on a championship team.

Mike D'Antoni is out to salvage his reputation from a one dimensional coach whose best days are behind him, to a vindicated man on top of his profession. He is desperate to shake the “No D” reputation and to redeem himself after the fiasco in NY.

Chris Duhon wants to prove he is still a valuable role player.

Darius Morris, Devin Ebanks and Robert Sacre have to prove that they are worthy of an NBA roster going forward.

Everyone on this Lakers team has something HUGE riding on the outcome of this season, something that will define their careers and public perception of them going forward.
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Re: An Interesting Story Arc for This Lakers Season

Postby Juronimo on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Well....at least we won't be 34-48.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:28 pm

What is a Story Arc.

Also, I don't get the point of this. Sorry man.
JGC

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:34 pm

as i skimmed thru your post, visions of the championship DVD cover flashed thru my mind
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm

JGC wrote:What is a Story Arc.

Do you know how to use the google?

JGC wrote:Also, I don't get the point of this. Sorry man.

You are apologizing for not understanding my post? Curious. Apology accepted... I guess? :what: :dunce:
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Interesting take on one common struggle that the team looks to overcome.

Hoping they can gel to make this happen, though wouldn't be surprised if this year was just not our year to win it all.

Next year is a different story, and whatever we do this year, even if it's a 2nd round exit, is better than I thought we would do at certain points this season.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:15 pm

I don't man, I disagree that so many people have that much to prove.

For one thing I think Duhon knows what he is at this point in his career: a borderline NBA player.

For another I think the time for Ebanks to prove anything is long gone and he's proven he's not consistent enough to be an NBA player. Morris proved to me he has NBA height and speed, but none of the quickness and decision making needed.

I think you're spot on with Sacre and with Meeks. The one with Jamison is obvious and well documented, but you did a good job of explaining it. I think your ideas on Clark and Hill are pretty much spot on.

Obviously the ones that stick out most though are the more well known guys. I think you're absolutely right about Howard. He's certainly maturing and developing here. Since the All-Star break he's been a new man and a great player. He's been unstoppable on the glass and has been a FORCE defensively.

But the one that sticks out most I think is what Nash has done on our team in conjunction with Kobe Bryant. For all intents and purposes they've switched rolls. And how incredible is that? Steve Nash, 2 Time MVP as a PG that has some of the most natural court vision the league has EVER seen, is now the one we need spotting up outside and shooting jump shots to free up Dwight. Kobe Bryant, 5 time Champion and in the top 5 all-time in scoring, is now our de facto PG who is setting up his teammates in a way we've never seen before.

These two know what it takes to win: sacrifice. It takes sacrificing things you never really thought you'd have to. Did any of us think Nash would have to shoot this much and have the ball this little? Did any of us think Kobe would be averaging this many assists this season? It's really unbelievable if you think about it.

In Norse mythology Odin sacrifices his eye in order to see. With the Lakers the theme of this season has been sacrifice. Everyone has given up something in order to win more games. It's been truly remarkable watching this team since the All-Star break.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:11 pm

JGC wrote:What is a Story Arc.

Seriously?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Return to Lakers Discussion