Isaiah Thomas: My Favorite Player Is Kobe & I'm A Lakers Fan

Isaiah Thomas: My Favorite Player Is Kobe & I'm A Lakers Fan

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:32 pm

By James Herbert @outsidethenba on Mar 11 2014, 12:32p

In an interview with SBNation.com, Thomas talked about rooting for the Lakers growing up, watching Allen Iverson's jersey retirement, staying positive on a losing team and much more:

You got into basketball when you were 4 years old. Do you know what it was about the game? What started it?

My parents just said I just loved basketball. I always had a ball in my hands. But I also loved football growing up. Those were my two favorite sports. And then there came a point in time where basketball was more fun for me. It was somewhere I could be in the gym all day and have fun and never get bored with it. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little boy to play in the NBA, and I'm living the dream to this day.

Everybody knows your dad was a Laker fan, but you were in Seattle. How did that work? Were you a Laker fan?

I was a little brainwashed. My dad's from LA, so growing up in his house, I was a Laker fan. But I loved the Sonics, I loved Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp. The Glove and the Reign Man, those were my two favorite players. But growing up, like I said, I was in a Laker household and got brainwashed. My favorite player is Kobe Bryant. I like the Lakers.

It sucks. I mean, it doesn't suck I got drafted by the Kings, but that's their biggest rival, so you gotta watch what you say about the Lakers around Sacramento.

So when the Sonics played the Lakers, if you'd watch with your friends, was that a bit weird?

I would always be at the game actually. My dad would somehow find some tickets and I had a Laker warmup that I'd always go in. I had the Laker actual authentic warmups, the yellow jacket, the purple breakaway pants. Like I said, I was a Laker fan but I was also a Sonics fan. Just fun seeing Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, them guys in person.

I think everybody's seen the photo of you wearing Shaq's jacket. What's it like being able to actually know him on a personal level now?

It's crazy ‘cause the first time he had texted me, I didn't even know he had my number. And he gave me some advice. I'm like, 'Who's this?' He said, 'It's Shaq.' I'm like, 'It's Shaquille?' Like, I was still tripping out about it. But he's a great guy.

And it's crazy to even be in the same league as a guy like Kobe Bryant. My first real regular season game was against the Lakers, and when I first got in the game I had to guard Kobe Bryant for a few possessions. So things like that, it's a dream come true and it's a blessing from God to be in the position.

Read the rest of the article in the link...

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/3/11/5 ... rview-2014
Kobe8Fan

Re: Isaiah Thomas: My Favorite Player Is Kobe & I'm A Lakers Fan

Postby John3:16 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:34 am

What about Hakeem?
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:39 am

John3:16 wrote:What about Hakeem?

:man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:14 pm

No "Do it Mitch!"? Guess I'll be the first then.. We know he won't get paid like Bledsoe.. If he's cheaper than Lowry I wouldn't mind signing IT3. He's nowhere near the defender either of those guys are & is too small to guard most players.. Certainly has his share of flaws but he can score & I've always been a fan of players that step up & score more in the 4th quarter.
LakersN4

Postby lotus on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 am

Don't care much about Isaiah though all credit to someone that short making it in the NBA, but Isiah Thomas was the truth. Very few with his level of competitiveness and toughness. Hopefully we get a player like that one day to replace the one we have in Kobe.
lotus

Return to Lakers Discussion