Jamaal Sampson profile

Jamaal Sampson profile

Postby clublakers on Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:54 am

The skinny (literally) on our newest training camp fodder...

Jamal Sampson #31
Forward-Center
Height: 6-11
Weight: 251
Born: May 15, 1983 - Inglewood, California
College: California
Draft: 2002 - 2nd round (47th overall) by the Utah Jazz

NBA stats: 5 games 1.6 minutes... hardly worth mentioning

High School: Sampson averaged 15.5 ppg, 10.0 rpg and 2.4 bpg as a senior. Led his Mater Dei team to the California state championship with a 57-54 victory over Modesto Christian. Mater Dei finished the 2000-01 season with a 33-2 record and a No. 4 national ranking from USA Today.

Personal: Cousin of Ralph Sampson, enjoys swimming and fishing

According to NBADraft.net in 2002:

Strengths: The dreaded "P" word. Jamal has great potential. But at this point his game is very raw. However, 7 footers with his athleticism are not a dime a dozen. Has long arms and very good shot blocking ability. Has the potential to be among the game's elite centers, but has a lot of dedication and hard work in front of him before he can even think about that. Has excellent quickness for a 6-11 bigman. Good shot blocker/rebounder with touch around the basket.

Weaknesses: Lack of skills. Jamal will be another player on the 3-4 year plan. A high risk/reward type. Sometimes these (early entrant) players blossom into superstars and sometimes they fizzle into duds. Had injury problems in high school. Lack of strength will keep him from making much of a splash quickly. Desire is still under question. Doesn't appear to be the most disciplined player.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby echo nation on Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:16 pm

a leats he's tall
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby self made on Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:09 pm

who knows when its all said and done this guy could end up being a tyson chandler type of player
self made

Postby clublakers on Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:57 pm

...or the next Keith Kloss. He'll get run with the Lakers or he won't. With Phil there is no inbetween.. we'll know soon enough if he has any discpiline.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby LaKeRsDyNaStY on Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:06 pm

keith closs... hell naw.. and that wouldnt be a pretty sight closs was like 6'11 or something and only 210 pounds

sampson is 251 pounds
LaKeRsDyNaStY

Postby TheZen on Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:29 pm

When he was back in mater dei high school, i had seen him play a couple of times because i knew cedric bozeman (now playing tha one position at UCLA) and from that period in time, it seemed that he had "potential". He should of stayed in Cal for maybe two or three more years to develop his game and mature. He's a raw piece of meat right now, as he has trouble grasping the pro level game. He has it in him, but he needs some time to mature as a player. But with the Diesel, the Mailman, our great coaching staff, and the Zen Master himself, he should have no problem of improving because he has the best working with him.
TheZen

Postby murcielago62 on Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:48 pm

You know it's bad when they have negative comments in the strengths category... :disagree:
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Postby echo nation on Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:06 am

hahah never noticed that before
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby SWOL on Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:15 am

self made wrote:who knows when its all said and done this guy could end up being a tyson chandler type of player

NO
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby TheZen on Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:36 am

swolswol wrote:
self made wrote:who knows when its all said and done this guy could end up being a tyson chandler type of player

NO

hahaha...
TheZen

Postby Laker brain on Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:38 pm

maybe a poor mans chandler
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Postby echo nation on Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:20 pm

if we can get his D and his rebounds to NBA level, we'll be good

no need for offense yet...
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

jamaal signing?

Postby eworks on Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:47 pm

i miised something somewhere. is this a rumor? i've seen nothin posted in the papers, on the wires, on the laker site nor heard any mention on radio or television. can someone post a link to the story? thanks.
eworks

Postby clublakers on Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:55 pm

Not a rumor.. although terms were not disclosed. I'm assuming he has a training camp contract.

The link is in the Daily News forum. It was a spec on the AP wire.

clublakers
Site Admin

Sampson

Postby rytee rydjorker on Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:26 pm

Jamal Sampson is the latest training camp fodder? If anything, I would think that the Lakers signed him due to his age and height. He's only about 20 years old, but very raw. It did say that he had potential, but I doubt it. If Samaki Walker was picked before Kobe Bryant in the draft and turned out to be one of those major power forward flukes, then why not Sampson? It's likely he would turn out to be one too. Samaki was like that, only showing his shot blocking prowess. Sampson only seems to have that at his one year at California college. Although he led Mater Dei to a winning season, it's highly unlikely that he would turn out to be one of those major contributors. The Jazz disliked him, the Bucks screwed him, so why did the Lakers sign him? Like I said before, it must be his age, or because Mitch Kupchak's been drinking too much beer lately. :man2:
rytee rydjorker

Postby echo nation on Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:47 pm

register
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Return to Lakers Discussion