Jason Terry Coming To LA?

Jason Terry Coming To LA?

Postby DMoNeY on Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:52 am

Alright, here is the scenario, there is a rumor I have heard from several people. The Lakers contacted Atlanta about a possible trade involving Jason Terry. Right now, Terry doesnt want to be in Atlanta amid speculation he likes it there. The trade talk involved was Derek Fisher, Kareem Rush, and either Jannero Pargo or next year's #1 draft choice or both for Jason Terry.

The idea behind this move is to let Jason Terry get more money in a sign and trade. Those named mention are a combined 4 to 5 million a year, which is much better than the 2 million qualifying offer made by Atlanta. Also, Atlanta is looking to sell the franchise and is currently without a GM. They are looking to reduce pay roll significantly, and they know very well that Jason Terry would want to get paid good when he is an unrestricted free-agent.

I think if the Lakers get Jason Terry, our future is very good. He is 25 years old, he can play the PG or SG spot. It's a good move, what do u guys think about pulling the trigger on this move?
DMoNeY

Postby Roscoe on Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:25 am

I don't really like it, we lose depth in our backcourt. Plus we are already set at PG and SG, there's no need to make a trade right now. Unless we could find a solid backup for Shaq. Maybe Nazr Mohammed...
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.

Re: Jason Terry Coming To LA?

Postby LakerFan1972 on Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:07 am

DMoNeY wrote:Alright, here is the scenario, there is a rumor I have heard from several people. The Lakers contacted Atlanta about a possible trade involving Jason Terry. Right now, Terry doesnt want to be in Atlanta amid speculation he likes it there. The trade talk involved was Derek Fisher, Kareem Rush, and either Jannero Pargo or next year's #1 draft choice or both for Jason Terry.

The idea behind this move is to let Jason Terry get more money in a sign and trade. Those named mention are a combined 4 to 5 million a year, which is much better than the 2 million qualifying offer made by Atlanta. Also, Atlanta is looking to sell the franchise and is currently without a GM. They are looking to reduce pay roll significantly, and they know very well that Jason Terry would want to get paid good when he is an unrestricted free-agent.

I think if the Lakers get Jason Terry, our future is very good. He is 25 years old, he can play the PG or SG spot. It's a good move, what do u guys think about pulling the trigger on this move?

Don't see it. There was talk of this at last years trading deadline but not now. Kupcheck would not make that many changes. He's done good so far. He doesn't need to do much more. Any more changes would drastically change the team chemistry. We need Dfish and other vets like Foxy to make all this work. In the end it is all about chemistry. This trade would hurt our chemistry.
LakerFan1972

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:17 am

NOPE. Not going to happen. We don't need Terry with PAYTON on board and FISHER as his back-up.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby SWOL on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:34 am

NO!!!
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Malone Freak on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:47 am

Hi, this is my first post on CL, and I love what I see. I am very happy that Karl has joined up w/ a great team. As u Laker fans say: "bling bling". But hear were I live I am hearing that tom. possibly Jon Barry or that 7' on the summer league team could make a verbal aggrement on signing, If I was that 7' er I would not pass it up even though its less $.

GO LAKERS

20, 8, 3, 32 or 31 ......., 34 :bow:
Malone Freak

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:59 am

You mean Eric Chenowith, who just scored 12 points on 6 for 8 shooting last night in the summer league rockets vs lakers game?
Snakell Beast

jason terry / Jannero Pargo

Postby mad game on Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:50 pm

I believe Jannero Pargo is the Lakers future. That's not to say ayone can't be traded. All you need to do is listen to players in the SPL hospitality suite talk about him. His confidence is soaring and he seems to do whatever he wants on the floor, pull up for the J or take anyone off the dribble. Jannero has looked like a young Marbury out there, with the addition of great D. Just eavesdrop on folks like Jerry West and you hear the buzz about this kid. He's a keeper, unless management (Phil included) doesn't believe his up and down, open floor game fits the team. Pargo's star is burning bright.
mad game

jason terry

Postby rebel 34 on Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:57 pm

I believe the Lakers should make the move for Jason Terry and Theo Ratliffe. Put Terry and The Glove in the backcourt , move Kobe to SF with Mailman and Diesel. With all the quick guards out West this is a highly successful mix.
rebel 34

Postby clublakers on Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:58 pm

Terry will get paid somewhere, just not here.

I still question Pargo's head for the point. The coaching staff last year didn't have much faith in his mental game. Clearly the skills are there, but Madsen blows up in summer league as well.

If Fish doesn't get traded then Pargo won't get any run with us, and we'll never know.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:03 pm

Nope that trade will NOT HAPPEN sorry....

We can't have too many players LEARNING the TRIANGLE all in the SAME YEAR... PHIL JACKSON will not ALLOW it.

We already have PAYTON, MaLONE, COOK, WALTON,.. maybe Chenowick.. all new to the TRIANGLE offense and your going to tell me that we're going to LOSE FISHER and or PARGO to obtain TERRY and RATLIFF who has no idea of what a triangle offense is?...

I serious doubt this trade... PARGO is too PROMISING . especially now that he can LEARN so much from PAYTON. When PAYTON retires you can REST ASSURE that our POINT GUARD OF THE FUTURE WILL BE PARGO.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:39 pm

Damn straight, Pargo shows the court sawvy of a potential all-star.
Danny Ainge

Jason Terry

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:33 pm

I would pull the trigger on this deal in a heartbeat. Terry can play the 1 and the 2 spot, and would be an excellent sixth man. Come on, Pargo a potential future all star? Court Savey? Please :man7: ! Jason Terry would be a a great sixth man, more promise in Terry then Pargo and Fish. Plus, Terry has size and Phil likes big gaurds. Pargo is small, and although he has ok defensive skills, he can't gaurd the better gaurds in the west, and he needs to find a consistent shot. Terry is a perfect fit, there's plenty of time for him to learn the triangle before the playoffs start, when they will really need him.

Postby Coppertop on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:49 pm

I think the Terry trade would be hard-pressed to trigger. At the same time, I don't see the need for it. We have the best backcourt in the league with Payton and Kobe, and Fisher is a more than adequate backup. We wouldn't even have sufficient PT for Terry.
Coppertop

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:49 pm

You are too quick to judge Pargo, and what makes you think we can just trade three pivotal players to obtain Terry when we already have Payton. Who needs a sixth man to back up the likes of Kobe and GP who will both see big minutes due to the fact that they are both future hall-of-famers. Last year I would have made this trade in a heartbeat but under the circumstances that stand at this current junction it makes little sense to pull the trigger on this deal. Barring a potential injury to Payton or Kobe, I don't see this happening. Now maybe in a few years when Fish has worn out his welcome we can make this deal but for now the answer is no. Thanks for your insight none the less. And in the future don't be afraid to leave a name, we promise to be non-judgemental.
Danny Ainge

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:52 pm

My apologies to coppertop ya suck in a message before I was through but I mean no disrespect by ingoring you like that in fact I agree totally with your statement, we are very set in the back-court ofcourse adding Pike would be nice.
Danny Ainge

Postby Beers on Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:04 pm

Yeah, I doubt that the Lakers would trade for Terry also....
They'd be more inclined to keep Fixher, who they know knows the offense, is depenadable under pressure can knock down the 3, and comes at a bargain price....

The only thing they may trade Fish for is more defense, or aback up big guy, which I don't think Terry brings...
Beers

old fraud and BS altogether

Postby rekuka on Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:28 pm

[That's old news by now. We don't even want to send Fisher, Rush, PArgo or some other dude packing their bags. Although Jason Terry is young and a good player, he's more of a shooting guard with a point guard's body, and of course, he'll demand a lot of shots, although he also stockpiles with assists. Nevertheless, that's old news man, the Lakers are just about to sign Glove to a contract. Gary Payton is even taking less money to be in L.A., and the lure of a championship pinpoints the destination itself. L.A. is the place to be, as he also provides veteranship, experience, creates shots for others, scores, does everything, defends, and ah yes....the famous trash talking needed to lull the Lakers from their troubles and burdens. Sometimes a guy like Payton is good for your team. Screw Jason. Turnovers, streaky, aargh...Payton can even cuss out the "Queens" or the Horsebackers in Texas. :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rekuka

Re: old fraud and BS altogether

Postby LakersFan2003 on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:32 pm

rekuka wrote:[That's old news by now. We don't even want to send Fisher, Rush, PArgo or some other dude packing their bags. Although Jason Terry is young and a good player, he's more of a shooting guard with a point guard's body, and of course, he'll demand a lot of shots, although he also stockpiles with assists. Nevertheless, that's old news man, the Lakers are just about to sign Glove to a contract. Gary Payton is even taking less money to be in L.A., and the lure of a championship pinpoints the destination itself. L.A. is the place to be, as he also provides veteranship, experience, creates shots for others, scores, does everything, defends, and ah yes....the famous trash talking needed to lull the Lakers from their troubles and burdens. Sometimes a guy like Payton is good for your team. Screw Jason. Turnovers, streaky, aargh...Payton can even cuss out the "Queens" or the Horsebackers in Texas. :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

This would be a horrible trade. We'd lose depth in the backcourt (who's the backup SG then?) and would have to sign a subpar SG to backup for Kobe. Right now, we only have Kareem. And Derek is a damn good backup PG. Especially, for the low price of $3,000,000. At this point, we should just sign Malone, Payton, and a cheap and young backup center for Shaq. That's it. I just don't get what sense it makes to give up three guards for one guard. Terry is a good player, and undervalued at $2.9 million/year. He'll probably make a move, but not with the Lakers. From what I've read, they may sign Payton to a 3 or 4 year deal to maximize his money, and Malone to 2 yrs.

So, we may start looking to deal next season, depending on how this season goes.
LakersFan2003

Postby Kobe's Empire on Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:01 am

this is terrible. we dont need tot ouch our backcourt in any way shape or form anymore. KOBE and GP are set. and we got a strong backup backcourt. Fish is gunna be our major spark this year. maybe 6th man of the year.......and Rush i think will improve dramatically year by year. he is a proven scorer at missouri. dont get rid of rush. and pargo. keep onto him. he might be our PG for the future.
Kobe's Empire

jason terry

Postby Jason on Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:12 pm

This trade would be great if only we didn't have to get rid of Rush. If we could get Atlanta to trade us Terry for Fish and Pargo only, then it would be a no brainer. Rush can still improve dramatically, because he can back up Kobe, and Terry can back up payton and be a great spark off the bench. Terry can be the lakers PG of the future, he is only 25 years old, and in my opinion has more talent offensively and defensively then fish.
Jason

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:39 pm

LOL.... why the [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] would you trade BOTH OUR RESERVE POINT GUARDS?.... it will already be tough for PAYTON to grasp the offense this year.. and FISHER would help in that LEARNING PROCESS...
AND NOW your going to TRADE FISHER and PARGO (shows Lots of Potential, J.WEST is giving him rave reviews) for TERRY who has NO IDEA how to RUN the TRIANGLE??????????????????

THINK about it for a SECOND!!!! :man7: We have PAYTON and FISHER backing him up and PARGO as a reserve as we groom him into the starting role in the future. We are set for 5 years at this position.

YOUR propose trade would leave us with PAYTON who will struggle a little to grasp the triangle but his back-up TERRY will also struggle. IS this what your ASKING?.. FISHER would pick up where PAYTON left off with little effect on our offense because he knows the system!!! TERRY will struggle because he won't be on the FLOOR long enough to learn it.

DUMB TRADE.. SORRY :freak2:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Kobe's Empire on Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:23 pm

no trading fish. hes too vauable to us this year....maybe even more than last year.
Kobe's Empire

JAson Terry

Postby jason on Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:39 pm

Are you Freaking kidding me LOL! Pargo having potential? If the guy could play consistant in the freaking summer league i might say he has potential, and then id have to have seen him show something in the reguelar season, but he was so weak and such a streaky shooter the last 4 games of the summer pro league, he is expendable.. Pargo has yet to prove he is starting pg material even against rookies and wanna be pro's. As for fish, he is not going to play much anyways, even if payton struggled to learn the triangle(which he won't). Fish is not that important. Yes he does know the triangle, but he kills us on defense. He goes behind pick and rolls allowing all the pg to kill us with open jump shots because fish doesn't know how to defend it. If you have watched terry play, he can defend the pick very well. Terry won't let pg's like hudson look like an all star. So don't give me that pargo potential crap and fish value crap. I want the lakers to win the next 5 titles if possible, and fish and pargo are not that criticle to the lakers, terry woudl be an awesome addition.
jason

Postby Kobe's Empire on Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:10 pm

well actaully, pargo does have potential. him and rush work together very well. and he is a good player, he ws just a damn rookie last year for god sakes. give him a break. with time, hell be good.

and FOR FISH NOT BEING IMPORTANT? ON U ON CRACK??? fish is going to be our spark off the bench.........IMAGINE HOW MUCH WEAKENED OUT BENCH WOULD BE IF WE LOST FISH.....and ever if we did get terry, he wouldnt have time to get the ball that much, which means he cant to much else......an d terry is a streaky shooter.

man.....when fish comes off the bench, like he did in 2000, he was awesome. a goog in your face defender that oculd knock down big shots.....like he was in 2001. WHY?? BECAUSE HE HAD LIMITED MINUTES AND HAD THE REST. 2002 HE HAD OVER WHAT? 60 games off?? and in 2000 he came off the bench fresh. fish is the perfect back up point gaurd. he is smart and knows the offense damn good. and in case payton goes down, he is a proven and capable starter.
Kobe's Empire

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion