Jeanie: Mitch and Jim Chose Dantoni Over Phil

Jeanie: Mitch and Jim Chose Dantoni Over Phil

Postby kblo247 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Jeanie admitted she was upset Jim and Kupchak decided to hire D'Antoni instead of Jackson, and Kupchak informed Jackson of the decision in the middle of the night when all indications were he would accept the position to come back and coach the team. She still says she wonders how far the Lakers could have gone if Jackson were the coach.

"I was not happy with how things happened," Jeanie said. "I just think it was a difficult process to go through. I was disappointed, but I'm biased. I don't think anybody would judge me to say [Phil] is the best coach in the entire world. That's my prerogative to feel that way. They had their reasons for doing what they did, but I kind of have that what-if feeling. What if he had coached?"

Jeanie says she reminds Jim about not hiring Jackson whenever the family gets together.

"I think it's something I can always tease him about," Jeanie said. "I think that's what families do. You always bring up things. Everyone always has family issues, and maybe that was something I can tease him about. It's fine. What happened happened."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lak ... ers-family

Shots fired, man down :boxing1:
kblo247

Re: Jeanie: Mitch and Jim Chose Dantoni Over Phil

Postby Weezy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:03 pm

No offense, but it's kind of old news, I think we need to get past it and move on, what's done is done.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:26 am

It's old news that took them quite a while to admit, and only then it was Jeanie who said it. Of course, it was common knowledge, and correctly speculated by many. They threw out a lot of smoke and other lies to detract from it. Tried blaming a comatose/on his death bed Jerry Buss. Tried making up BS about Phil not wanting to coach road games...and yet there was Phil on that fateful Monday morning genuinely pissed about how everything went down.

And by "Mitch and Jim", she means "Jim". LOL. Who are we kidding?

That idiot singlehandedly blew the last two seasons with his idiotic coaching hires.

1. Jimmy hired Brown.
2. Jimmy fired him five games in.
3. Jimmy hired D'Antoni after a phone interview, while giving Phil the finger
kray28

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:01 am

agreed with Kray...Jeanie lumping Mitch in there to not make Jim look like a total buffoon
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:26 pm

I honestly think the franchise would be better served if Jeanie was making the basketball decisions instead of JIm.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 am

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:I honestly think the franchise would be better served if Jeanie was making the basketball decisions instead of JIm.

+1!

Or, if that can't be, then, as much as I hate to suggest such a thing, maybe they should think about selling the franchise to somebody who gives a s*#@ about winning.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 am

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:I honestly think the franchise would be better served if Jeanie was making the basketball decisions instead of JIm.

she has my vote.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby noobiew on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 am

Jim has tarnished the Lakers reputation so much !

He already loss Gentry to Clippers and McMillan to the Pacers, soon he gonna loss also our future aka the most important piece Dwight Howard to Houston. :bang:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby jimbo327 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 pm

But but Jerry did it!
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:49 pm

jim buss...you aren't doing much to inspire confidence in your leadership of the franchise. a 'premiere' player willingly walked away from the lakers. even 30 million more dollars couldn't sway him. think about that for a second...
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm

^ it's not just any "premiere" player though. It's Dwight Howard, a pretty special guy when it comes to making decisions, facing pressure, enduring people's dislike... I think Howard leaving had a lot more to do with the team's chemistry (not really getting along with Kobe, Kobe saying he'd be around 3 years at least, not being a playful bunch) and the overall pressure there's in LA when it comes to the Lakers and achievements.
If the Rockets get to the WCF and lose (which is at best as far as I have them going), he'll probably get pats in the back in Houston, even a few "congrats" for the good season. Because there's no winning standard there. In LA, unless he's holding the trophy, people aren't really satisfied or "proud".
Howard wants Houston because he wants to have fun with those young players, form an "exciting" team, get some Ws. He wants the fans to really like him and applaud him. he wants to feel wanted and not compared to greats that came before. But he's not winning a ring there as they're constructed IMO, and there's no way (the way I see it) that he could seriously believe that. There are better teams around..
I think MDA also played a big part, and I suppose that's where we can blame Jim Buss (assuming it was infact him and not Mitch or Jerry or all of them together who made the call to hire him).

Bottomline, I think Howard leaving is a lot more about him, the way he is and thinks and what LA is all about than about what the FO could've done. Could they have done more? Yes, but I don't see this as "F U Jim, you cost us Dwight" at all.
Last edited by Finwë on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:03 pm

I think choosing 'Antoni was a horrible decision, but I'm not upset about Dwight walking at all.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dak22 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:09 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:jim buss...you aren't doing much to inspire confidence in your leadership of the franchise. a 'premiere' player willingly walked away from the lakers. even 30 million more dollars couldn't sway him. think about that for a second...

A "premiere" player who's an immature, indecisive DIVA who wants to have fun and blame others instead of winning. A player, who before coming to the Lakers, left his previous franchise in the same laughable fashion? Someone who's made a specatcle of this entire situation?

Oh Please! Howard is that STUPID to leave 30 million on the table given his history.

Jim is an idiot but the worse thing he can do is hand the reigns to another one (Howard). Even if the lakers fired D'Antoni, we'd still have one too many idiots having influence (Jim, Howard vs Jim, Pringles).
dak22

Postby charvin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Let's actually wait and see how well the Rockets do in a couple of regular season games before anointing anything. I say they're a 1st Round exit, as brash a prediction it is.
charvin

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Hopefully Jimmy is learning from his mistakes, because that's all he seems to make these days.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:18 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:Hopefully Jimmy is learning from his mistakes, because that's all he seems to make these days.

Well, we know he didn't learn from the Mike Brown mistake because he had a chance to hire the winningest coach in NBA history (who was ready to come out of retirement to coach the Lakers) and hired another also-ran bargain basement coach instead.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

2014 will be pretty telling.

this coming season will be a wash, save for some fairy-tale miracle.
lakersyunowin

Return to Lakers Discussion