Jeremy Lin Discussion: 0 Made Shots in 32 Mnutes @ GSW

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Roscoe wrote:JLin played extremely well before some injuries slowed him down last year. In November he was putting up 16+ a game while figuring out his role with the Rockets. He went from starter to scoring guard off the bench and was killing. I expect him to average 16-18 a game with 6-7 assists. Him being a clear cut starter will do wonders for his confidence.


Well I hope he's the starter, but we'll see if Nash is healthy during competition for that and how Byron views the situation. Who if he has his druthers, he wants to start. Until Nash is hurt again. Then it's Lin. Either way Jeremy is such a breath of fresh air for this team and will get the lion's share of the minutes.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:14 pm

thkthebest wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Def RAPM (what is this ??)
Lin .07
Beverly 1.08

RAPM is my favorite stat, but it's not perfect. Anyway, you have your basic PM (aka plus minus aka +/-), which is pretty self-explanatory. It just tracks a team's net score when a player is on the floor.

Then, you have APM, which stands for Adjusted Plus Minus. It takes into consideration both your teammates and opponents to give a better understanding of a player's impact on the floor.

Then you have RAPM, which stands for Regularized Adjusted Plus Minus. It uses a method called "ridge regression" to essentially give our more accurate "APM" data. Think of this like a better APM. Lol.


:man10: :what: :what: :dunce: Is Lin's lower score worse or better and can you explain that a bit please?
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby trodgers on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:33 pm

I take it higher is better: .07 would be just about breaking even.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:19 pm

manning wrote:Just want to share.
Can't wait for the new season! :man11:

that's some incredible hustle plays in that video on the defensive end. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11701
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby thkthebest on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:03 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
thkthebest wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Def RAPM (what is this ??)
Lin .07
Beverly 1.08

RAPM is my favorite stat, but it's not perfect. Anyway, you have your basic PM (aka plus minus aka +/-), which is pretty self-explanatory. It just tracks a team's net score when a player is on the floor.

Then, you have APM, which stands for Adjusted Plus Minus. It takes into consideration both your teammates and opponents to give a better understanding of a player's impact on the floor.

Then you have RAPM, which stands for Regularized Adjusted Plus Minus. It uses a method called "ridge regression" to essentially give our more accurate "APM" data. Think of this like a better APM. Lol.


:man10: :what: :what: :dunce: Is Lin's lower score worse or better and can you explain that a bit please?

trodgers wrote:I take it higher is better: .07 would be just about breaking even.

Yep, higher is better, but like with anything, sample size matters. The stat isn't perfect, and many of the other stats you listed were better than Beverly's.

Also, the bigs tend to have higher defensive RAPM so when compared to other PGs, Lin's was actually better than many such as Curry's, Wall's, Westbrook's, Dragic's, Williams' (lol), Lowry's, Lillard's, Lawson's, Harris', Thomas', etc. His was worse than Conley's, Parker's, Chalmers', and Rubio's.
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Roscoe wrote:JLin played extremely well before some injuries slowed him down last year. In November he was putting up 16+ a game while figuring out his role with the Rockets. He went from starter to scoring guard off the bench and was killing. I expect him to average 16-18 a game with 6-7 assists. Him being a clear cut starter will do wonders for his confidence.

Pretty much exactly in line with my projections.. 16 & 7.. I expect to see him create a ton of opportunities for others in the pick & roll. With no more Kobe/Pau 2 man game, Lin should have a chance to be the primary playmaker. He excels when his role is big & his backup is MAYBE good for 10 games. This is a golden opportunity for Lin. I've always been confident in his defense so I expect a very good overall season.
LakersN4

 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:55 am

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
manning wrote:Just want to share.
Can't wait for the new season! :man11:

that's some incredible hustle plays in that video on the defensive end. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing


Cool video. Thanks for posting.
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby Roscoe on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:31 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Roscoe wrote:JLin played extremely well before some injuries slowed him down last year. In November he was putting up 16+ a game while figuring out his role with the Rockets. He went from starter to scoring guard off the bench and was killing. I expect him to average 16-18 a game with 6-7 assists. Him being a clear cut starter will do wonders for his confidence.


Well I hope he's the starter, but we'll see if Nash is healthy during competition for that and how Byron views the situation. Who if he has his druthers, he wants to start. Until Nash is hurt again. Then it's Lin. Either way Jeremy is such a breath of fresh air for this team and will get the lion's share of the minutes.


Realistically, we can only hope for Nash to be a solid part-time player on the floor. The dynamic between the two is going to be intriguing though. I've seen plenty of Jeremy Lin highlights, but have not watched enough actual games to really gauge what is keeping him from taking and sustaining that next step. He is an incredibly high IQ'd, resilient player which are very important tools for success. Lin being mentored by Steve Nash everyday is going to be extremely beneficial to his career and the Lakers. I'm excited to see how this plays out.
Image

"Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere." - Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
Roscoe
ClubLakers O.G.
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:22 pm
Location: LA

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby SFGOLDRUSHER on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Roscoe wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:
Roscoe wrote:JLin played extremely well before some injuries slowed him down last year. In November he was putting up 16+ a game while figuring out his role with the Rockets. He went from starter to scoring guard off the bench and was killing. I expect him to average 16-18 a game with 6-7 assists. Him being a clear cut starter will do wonders for his confidence.


Well I hope he's the starter, but we'll see if Nash is healthy during competition for that and how Byron views the situation. Who if he has his druthers, he wants to start. Until Nash is hurt again. Then it's Lin. Either way Jeremy is such a breath of fresh air for this team and will get the lion's share of the minutes.


Realistically, we can only hope for Nash to be a solid part-time player on the floor. The dynamic between the two is going to be intriguing though. I've seen plenty of Jeremy Lin highlights, but have not watched enough actual games to really gauge what is keeping him from taking and sustaining that next step. He is an incredibly high IQ'd, resilient player which are very important tools for success. Lin being mentored by Steve Nash everyday is going to be extremely beneficial to his career and the Lakers. I'm excited to see how this plays out.


I definitely agree w/what yall have said. But I will not have my expectations too high for Lin&Nash. Lin has maybe his last opportunity to show the world what exactly type of player he is, but you cannot forget this is the player that lost his job to Beverly..Just keeping it real. W/Nash,at this point well see whats meant to be,if he can give us ANY SINGLE productive minute than awesome its a bonus,if not those minutes will go to someone(hopefully Clarkson,might as well see exactly what we might have) that has a chance to be part of our future.
User avatar
SFGOLDRUSHER

 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby thkthebest on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:20 pm

We won't forget that he came off the bench, but you have to look at more than just that one factor.

Ginobili comes off the bench. Harden came off the bench behind Thabo. Vince used to come off the bench behind Delonte West and OJ Mayo. Odom came off the bench during our championship run.

Coming off the bench does not mean you are worse than the starter.
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby SFGOLDRUSHER on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:06 pm

thkthebest wrote:We won't forget that he came off the bench, but you have to look at more than just that one factor.

Ginobili comes off the bench. Harden came off the bench behind Thabo. Vince used to come off the bench behind Delonte West and OJ Mayo. Odom came off the bench during our championship run.

Coming off the bench does not mean you are worse than the starter.


Where did I say that coming off the bench means youre not good? But I definitely catch your drift haha :man12: Beverlys a scrappier defender in my own opinion but thats about it. Lin was struggling though&I do believe they benched him to get more of a defensive spark&not necessarily cause they think he wasnt serviceable anymore.
User avatar
SFGOLDRUSHER

 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:39 pm

They benched him because McHale believed Harden and Dwight were actually good offensive players. And he was coming off an injury, but that's besides the point. Dwight wanted a bigger offensive role, and McHale couldn't run the offense through Dwight with Lin in there.

In a team oriented, ball movement type of offense like the Spurs, Lin would be awesome. Let's hope Byron can get the most out of Jeremy.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby SFGOLDRUSHER on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:They benched him because McHale believed Harden and Dwight were actually good offensive players. And he was coming off an injury, but that's besides the point. Dwight wanted a bigger offensive role, and McHale couldn't run the offense through Dwight with Lin in there.

In a team oriented, ball movement type of offense like the Spurs, Lin would be awesome. Let's hope Byron can get the most out of Jeremy.


I can see and respect that. But for the record, did he not actually struggle in the Portland series which was the final straw for Houston pretty much? Maybe someone can pull up a rockets forum Lin thread and see what they were/are saying lol.

I also just hope Byron hustles harder than Rick Ross at a hustling convention and sets up a system thats consistent and we have an identity moving forward&we can start having the "next man up" not skip a beat or even improve based on the situation.
User avatar
SFGOLDRUSHER

 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:28 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:05 pm

I read from others here that Lin actually did the best job of anyone on Lillard.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 am

lakerfan2 wrote:They benched him because McHale believed Harden and Dwight were actually good offensive players. And he was coming off an injury, but that's besides the point. Dwight wanted a bigger offensive role, and McHale couldn't run the offense through Dwight with Lin in there.

In a team oriented, ball movement type of offense like the Spurs, Lin would be awesome. Let's hope Byron can get the most out of Jeremy.


Houston benched Lin because his help defense with Harden's man on the perimeter was non-existant and Patrick Beverly did a tremendous job. Also Houston outscored opponents with Beverly starting by over 8ppg and they barely held a 1ppg advantage with Lin starting. Harden is a horrible defender outside.. and Lin is terrible perimeter help defender.

Lin just wasn't a team player that Houston needed and the #'s reflect that boldly.

Lin isn't going to help with Kobe's assignment either.. and Kobe's defense, especially outside, has been absolutely atrocious in his later years.. Fisher sucked covering his own man but he did a great job pissing off opponents when he played help defense all those seasons.. I have no idea why L.A. picked up a guard that can't do what they need.. Kobe needs help, again receiving none on the defensive end.
User avatar
BadCoaching

 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby Xtreme on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:26 am

Jeremy Lin's hidden stat: Christmas!Ever since he got waived by the Rockets on X'mas 2011, he's been on all X'mas day games and has won all of them.
http://youtu.be/WRlbwlsI9ic 12/25/2012
http://youtu.be/uRE_w8zb9WE 12/25/2013


isn't that interesting? :ha!:
what's interesting was that the Rockets had only 2 X'mas day games in 10 years and he's on both :man10:
source : me
Xtreme

 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby trodgers on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:10 am

We'll take what we can get if it helps us win. Christmas special.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:16 am

BadCoaching wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:They benched him because McHale believed Harden and Dwight were actually good offensive players. And he was coming off an injury, but that's besides the point. Dwight wanted a bigger offensive role, and McHale couldn't run the offense through Dwight with Lin in there.

In a team oriented, ball movement type of offense like the Spurs, Lin would be awesome. Let's hope Byron can get the most out of Jeremy.


Houston benched Lin because his help defense with Harden's man on the perimeter was non-existant and Patrick Beverly did a tremendous job. Also Houston outscored opponents with Beverly starting by over 8ppg and they barely held a 1ppg advantage with Lin starting. Harden is a horrible defender outside.. and Lin is terrible perimeter help defender.

Lin just wasn't a team player that Houston needed and the #'s reflect that boldly.

Lin isn't going to help with Kobe's assignment either.. and Kobe's defense, especially outside, has been absolutely atrocious in his later years.. Fisher sucked covering his own man but he did a great job pissing off opponents when he played help defense all those seasons.. I have no idea why L.A. picked up a guard that can't do what they need.. Kobe needs help, again receiving none on the defensive end.



Sigh. Apologies for having to quote myself but come on, these numbers were posted at the bottom of the previous page:


"Great video that shows how hard this kid plays and the effort expended diving on floor, etc.

But WHOA!! Lookee here for the few "Lin-sucks-on-defense-that's-why-Beverly-got-the-starts" HONKS here on CL:

Stats at the end of the video typed out for you because I am a "giver"

D Ratg
Lin 109
Beverly 108

Def ON
Lin 1.05
Bevery 1.05

Def RAPM (what is this ??)
Lin .07
Beverly 1.08

Opponent PPP
Lin .86 (148th) 2pt 36.8 3pt 34.8
Beverly .88 (190th) 2pt 40.7 3pt 41.7

Opponent FG% at Rim players over 25mpg
Lin 47.7% (28th)
Beverly 52.2% (68th)

Opponent Pts Per Game @48min
Lin 13.3 FG 44.1% *** these averages for PPG allowed @48mpg seem low for both?
Beverly 14.3 FG 48%

OP Mid Range
Lin 15-19' 37.5 20-24' 34.7 25-29' 32.5
Beverly 15-19' 55 20-24' 41.7 25-29' 39.4 "
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6484
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:40 am

I'm looking forward to seeing what Jeremy can do on defense with a coach who emphasizes that side of the ball. I think he may exceed expectations. One of the first things Byron pointed out was that he liked Lin's potential on D.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:44 am

^Lin is a gamer...feisty and does not back down from anyone. Deceptively quick. Defensively, he does have some potential given those attributes. On offense, I like that Lin can create his own shot off the dribble. I am not sure if he can play off the ball if Scott incorporates some strain of the Princeton offense. Maybe but to adjust to that would take time and with very little to no margin of error...not something this group can afford.

With him, Young, Bryant and Randle...at least the offense can be creative. Throw in Henry too in that group if he is healthy enough to see some minutes.
No siggie...
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15202
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:15 pm

I'm interested to see how he plays with Kobe. I think Lin is most effective with the ball in his hands creating; will Kobe play off the ball more? Will him and Lin run PNR? It would help Kobe tremendously if he didn't have to do as much facilitating at this stage in his career.
lukewaltonsdad

 
Posts: 797
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby gcclaker on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:15 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:I'm interested to see how he plays with Kobe. I think Lin is most effective with the ball in his hands creating; will Kobe play off the ball more? Will him and Lin run PNR? It would help Kobe tremendously if he didn't have to do as much facilitating at this stage in his career.

The last point man that could improvise off the dribble was Sessions though he was more of a straight line driver. Lin is more shifty and has better touch but lacks that separation speed. The problem with the former was that he deferred to much to 24. Wasn't there also reports that Bryant prodded Sessions to be more assertive? If so, 24 would have no worries with Lin. Spacing will be crucial to this group. It's been awhile since the backcourt have potent scorers with Bryant, Lin, Young and possibly Clarkson.
No siggie...
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15202
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:03 am

if Lin can increase his 3 ball %, I can see him being a really good long term solution. he and randle could potentially be a fantastic pick and roll combo in a couple years.

unless he's dreadful this year, i hope we hang onto him in some capacity. the guy plays hard, has solid bb IQ, and from the looks of it, appears to be a worker and grinder.
Pig Miller

 
Posts: 2882
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby halekulani on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:09 am

the only time i worry about jeremy is when he is matched up against ballhawks like chalmers or avery bradley

other than that i think he'd be a good fit.
User avatar
halekulani

 
Posts: 8781
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 pm

Re: Jeremy Lin Discussion

Postby Xtreme on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Lin 's wax figure in a laker outfit 17, what a god damn relief it's not ugly red


http://instagram.com/p/r-VkutuP_T/?modal=true i have no idea how to embed
Xtreme

 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.