Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Re: Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00 pm

What is this "Forum Club" everyone keeps mentioning. You guys been there?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:13 pm

The Rock wrote:What is this "Forum Club" everyone keeps mentioning. You guys been there?

Downstairs entrance below the Forum. It was a scene in the 80's, but was always pretty cheesy & had kind of an old school Vegas banquet room vibe....
LakerFanIam

Postby dmaul on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 pm

It speaks to your character when the kind of people who are coming out publicly with their comments are saying the types of things they're saying and showing this level of respect and love. Dr. Buss was a class act and a man among men. Pioneers like this, it's almost impossible to follow their act. They can only be admired, revered, and remembered. And that is the ultimate tribute.
dmaul

Postby ramsay13 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 pm

This thread should be pinned! :jam2:
ramsay13

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 am

Already missing you, Jerry. Damn, what a loss!
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:41 am

how great would it be to see the lakers win the championship against all odds this season in honor of dr. buss. i know it's a complete pipedream, but that would be amazing.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Nice read by L.A. Times Bill Dwyre, speaking to what kind of a nice man to everyone Jerry was.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... 319.column

Jerry Buss had many sides, but his best one truly defined him

Lakers owner Jerry Buss will be remembered for a lot of things, including a 'playboy' lifestyle. But don't overlook his loyalty, generosity and caring for people.

Jerry Buss navigated his way through life and business much as Magic Johnson navigated through a tight NBA defense. He had moves, a quick learning curve and a confidence.

In the wake of Buss' death Monday, all sides of him will be in play in the news and tributes.

There will be mentions of his gambling habits. He never met a poker table he didn't like. Also mentions of his fascination with younger women. He never met an attractive 22-year-old he didn't like.

He was a major player in a big and complicated business world. Real estate dealings put him into a position where he could do something as risky and extravagant as buying the Lakers. And even when he played the real-estate game along a slippery edge, he was able to stay upright, despite being hit with a hard shot.

It was 1985. Buss owned rental properties in Arizona and had paid taxes on some of them at a level 8% below the going rate. Times sportswriter Steve Springer dug out a story that Arizona authorities were investigating him. Buss said he hadn't understood the complexities of the Arizona tax laws and, the moment he saw the gravity of the matter and read threatening quotes from Arizona officials in Springer's story that raised the possibility of prosecution, he wrote a check for nearly $1 million to settle things.

Most people in Buss' position would have, understandably, had a difficult time being cheery with the reporter who had brought it all on, even when the report was accurate. Not Buss. The next time he saw Springer, he joked that, had he known Springer was writing that story, he would have given him the $1 million instead.

Buss was anything but a social butterfly. But he was always, in his unique way, a people person.

Bob Steiner, his longtime friend and public relations consultant, says, "I never saw him when he wasn't polite to everybody."

He was also extremely generous.

Walt Hazzard played for the Lakers and then, after a coaching stint at his alma mater UCLA, was hired by Buss as a Lakers special consultant in 1994. Then in 1996, he suffered a debilitating stroke. As Hazzard struggled with his health, Buss kept re-upping his contract, even adding three years to it a day or so before Hazzard was to have a dangerous, possibly life-threatening surgical procedure. Hazzard died in 2011.

Rudy Tomjanovich had a less-than-spectacular run as Lakers coach in 2004-05, but after his departure, Buss kept him on the payroll to scout NBA talent.

Then there is Bill Sharman, the former Lakers coach and front-office star, who may be the only person able to become a revered Laker on all fronts despite having been a star player for the hated Boston Celtics.

Sharman is 86 and in failing health now. But the Lakers checks keep coming in.

He was the team's coach from 1971 to '76 and was the man at the controls in the famous title season of 1971-72 that included the 33-game winning streak. By the time Buss purchased the Lakers from Jack Kent Cooke in 1979, Sharman was the team's general manager.

For Buss, Sharman's Celtics flaw was mitigated by the fact that they both had gone to USC. Trojans blood was thicker than Boston water.

Sharman, an intense competitor and thoroughly likable man, started losing his voice from years of yelling from the bench. In 1982, he felt the need to step down as GM. He wasn't yelling from the bench now, but he was out in the world, making appearances and speeches, and his vocal cords were still getting little rest.

Buss heard him out and said, OK, you will now be team president.

Jerry West, who had been Sharman's alter ego in the front office as they worked in near harmony with little worry about titles or status, became GM.

Sharman carried on with his new title through 1988, but his vocal problem continued to worsen and so he went to see Buss again, this time to resign as president.

Buss heard him out and said, OK, you will now be a special consultant to the Lakers.

And that has continued. At one point, Buss asked Sharman to do occasional written reports on his views of the current Lakers. Sharman hesitated, because he didn't want to be seen as undercutting any of the current Lakers management.

Buss heard him out and said, OK, just write them for me.

We live in an era of soulless corporations and heartless management. People are laid off by email or by discovering the lock changed on their office door.

In Buss' corporation, there was always heart and soul.

Steiner's daughter, Cathy, is developmentally disabled. She is also a huge Lakers fan, of course, and used to sit in Buss' box with her dad at games and keep score. She used the game program to do so.

But somewhere along the line, an order had come to the ushers that the game programs need not be distributed in the boss' box until he arrived. Invariably, Buss would be delayed by pregame duties, and one time, he didn't make it into his box until near halftime. When he arrived, Cathy let him know that she would have no more of these delays, that she needed her program before the game started.

To which Jerry Buss replied meekly: "I will take care of it, Cathy."

And he did.

"Jerry was sensational with her," Steiner says.

He was the same with thousands of other people.
LTLakerFan

Postby TIME on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:03 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Nice read by L.A. Times Bill Dwyre, speaking to what kind of a nice man to everyone Jerry was.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... 319.column

Great read. Thanks for posting it.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 pm

Hugh Hefner to come on 710 ESPN 5pm PST to talk about Dr. BUSS. I hope Max and Marcellus dont interrupt him 100 times when hes sharing stories, those two are the absolute worst here in LA

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:01 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Mitch Kupchak on Jerry Buss' lifestyle: "You might see him LEAVING the office at 9 in the morning ..."

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Kupchak said Jerry Buss' Lakers involvement decreased in Dec/Jan: "He was very involved with the decision to change coaches

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
The Dr. Jerry Buss memorial will be aired live on @TWCSportsNet at 3 p.m. on Thursday for those interested

IDK if is qualifies as "Appreciation." Mods delete if you don't deem it fits the OP's purpose...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby noobiew on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 pm

RIP Dr.Jerry Buss, the greatest NBA team owner ever.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Lakeshow75 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Still hard to believe he's gone, and we'll never get to see him celebrating another championship again.

I was lucky enough to get invited to the memorial Thursday at Nokia. Planning to take the whole day off and spend it downtown taking it all in.
Lakeshow75

Postby McLaren on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 pm

This will be worn on Laker jerseys. #ForJerry

McLaren

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:14 am

R.I.P. Dr Jerry Buss You Be Missed By All Of Us In Lakers Nation, the City of Angels Misses You Los Angeles Will never be the same.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:38 am

My tribute to Dr. Buss

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42 am

That's pretty damn awesome.
Chillbongo

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:44 am

Wow that is impressive. Big ups. :bow:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 am

:jam2:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:50 pm

That's a sick tribute GK!

[Mike Trudell: Expected to speak at the Dr. Buss Memorial Service: David Stern, Jerry West, Kareem, Magic, Phil, Shaq, Kobe & Pau (spanish). Twitter @LakersReporter
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:53 pm

^Cool. I'm going to watch it on TWSN
dwighthowardsdad

Postby khmrP on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:That's a sick tribute GK!

[Mike Trudell: Expected to speak at the Dr. Buss Memorial Service: David Stern, Jerry West, Kareem, Magic, Phil, Shaq, Kobe & Pau (spanish). Twitter @LakersReporter

very nice, sorry if it not be said but I prefer it if Sterns wasn't part of it, just my personal feelings towards his actions against Dr. Buss franchise.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah what's Stern going to say "sorry I ruined your CP3 deal and constructed a CBA against your franchise"?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate it! :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Biz on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Chillbongo wrote:That's pretty damn awesome.

I second this...great picture.
Biz

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:Yeah what's Stern going to say "sorry I ruined your CP3 deal and constructed a CBA against your franchise"?

Seriously, I'm not thrilled I have to look at Stern's face during what should be a nice memorial. Stern is the reason Jerry had to watch his team suck it up while dying, if we'd gotten CP3 I'd have to think things would be a lot different right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion