Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Re: Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Yeah what's Stern going to say "sorry I ruined your CP3 deal and constructed a CBA against your franchise"?

Seriously, I'm not thrilled I have to look at Stern's face during what should be a nice memorial. Stern is the reason Jerry had to watch his team suck it up while dying, if we'd gotten CP3 I'd have to think things would be a lot different right now.

Yup. Even if we'd not gotten Dwight (which in the end would have been entirely possible since we only moved parts that we would have had anyway), we'd still have had a crazy team with Paul and Kobe.

Anyone who's watched the Olympics or any All-Star games recently can see they've got a really great chemistry.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 pm

does anyone have any links for the memorial online?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm

DarthRekal wrote:does anyone have any links for the memorial online?

I have read that it will be Live on both Lakers.com and on TWCSportsnet.

The memorial is on Thursday and here is a list of the speakers:

A notable list of former and current Lakers players will be speaking at Jerry Buss' memorial service Thursday at Nokia Theatre.

The event will be emceed by local broadcaster Jim Hill and televised live by Time Warner Cable SportsNet at 3 p.m.

The list of speakers: AEG executive Tim Leiweke, Johnny Buss, Buss business associate Frank Mariani, David Stern, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Phil Jackson, Pau Gasol, Pat Riley, Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson.

There will also be three musical interludes performed by Randy Newman, Davis Gaines and the USC marching band.

The event is for invited guests only and selected media members.

Safe to say I will definitely be tuning in
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 pm

And apparently KCAL will be carrying it Live as well

John Ireland ‏@LAIreland

They are--KCAL will carry it live RT @charleslfreemn: why doesn't TWC offer live feed of the memorial service to KCAL for old time's sake?
Battle Tested20

Postby Enforcer on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 pm

RIP Dr. Buss :(
Enforcer

Postby 432J on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 pm

wish that lowlife stern didn't have to be part of the memorial for such a great man

i'm pretty sure dr. buss would rather that stern stay away
432J

Postby Legendary on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I don't know how I'm going to handle tonight's tribute, let alone tomorrow's Memorial service...this video damn near had me breaking down.

Just so much history with this team, and if you grew up with the Showtime-era Lakers, all the way up until present-day...man...you value the importance of not only Dr. Buss, but of some of the most profound players/people to ever grace TV or radio.

I'm thankful for having been able to experience sports history over my lifetime. Dr. Buss, Chick, Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Kobe, and Shaq....just so many great people who have influenced my life over the years, and just made me proud to support this storied franchise.

Growing up in California has provided me the luxury of following this team my whole life and pouring countless hours into the product Dr. Buss so masterfully put on the floor for us on a nightly basis. Sure, there have been bad times..but there have been oh so many sweet times. And to think, this DYNASTY came from the mind of a brilliant, once-in-a-lifetime GIANT, who's ultimate goal was to give the city of L.A. the BEST team in the NBA...this whole thing, it's a humbling experience.

Rest In Peace, Dr. Buss. There will NEVER be another like you.
Legendary

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Very nice intro to the moment of silence for Dr. Buss by Kobe.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 pm

man that intro got me.... That empty chair almost had me.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 pm

i got a little emotional

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby checkers09 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Derek Fisher remembers Dr. Buss.

I grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas, without a national sports team to cheer for, so I will never forget the first time I watched the Lakers. I was a boy. It was the Showtime era. Magic, Kareem, James...I watched in awe and I was hooked. I became a Lakers fan that day and every day after that. I liked basketball, but I never thought I'd be a professional basketball player. These guys were amazing. Game after game, giving me joy, excitement and a team to root for, my family huddling around the television screaming, cheering for the Lakers.

In the Summer of 1996, dreams I didn't even know I could dream came true. Dr. Jerry Buss and his organization, the Los Angeles Lakers, chose me 24th in the first round of the NBA draft. I was in shock. The team that I had watched, rooted for, and idolized was now something I was actually a part of.

I remember vividly getting the chance to meet Dr. Buss and talk with him after arriving in Los Angeles as a rookie. After one conversation in particular, he gave me his business card, which had his home phone number listed. Our relationship changed in that moment. We morphed from employer/employee to personal friends.

And then it was time to play my first game. Being a Laker was surreal. I had been in training camp for weeks, played scrimmages against another rookie, Kobe Bryant, and a few pre-season games. But when the lights turned on at the Forum that night, emotion and adrenaline were at an all-time high. Everything Dr. Buss had done for the organization and everything players before me had accomplished weighed heavy on me. This was not just a jersey to throw on. This wasn’t just a game to play. This was an honor, and to wear the “Purple and Gold” was a responsibility.

Through the years, Dr. Buss was present at key moments, though in the Locker Room only here and there, because he trusted us, he trusted his coaches and his management to do their jobs. He put the right people in place and let them make magic. He wasn’t a micromanager, he didn’t love the spotlight. He loved his team and he loved to win, and he let all of us do that for him.

I played under Dr. Buss for a total of 13 seasons. And each one was an honor. We made it to the playoffs 12 times, became Western Conference Champions seven times, and won five Championships together. This doesn’t happen by accident. It took Dr. Buss making strategic decisions, having a vision sometimes no one else saw, having confidence in himself and his decisions, and trusting his gut. Dr. Buss was unwavering. He was sure of what he was doing. And as players, even if we had bad games or even a bad season, we knew he was on it. That he had a plan bigger than we were aware of.

A few months ago, I remember sitting with Dr. Buss in his hospital room one afternoon. He was ill, but his mind was sharp. We talked for hours. About the Lakers, about life, about family. In all the experiences I ever had with this man, this was the most meaningful to me. No cameras, no fans, no basketball in site. Just two men talking.

As everyone knows, I am currently not with the Lakers, and while I plan to play again, I am not sure that I can ever top the experiences I had with that organization.

Dr. Buss was a visionary, a trailblazer, a competitor, a force, a dad, a grandfather … but what I will miss most is my mentor and friend. He changed lives, he gave people joy, he gave people something to cheer for. He changed my life on and off the court.

Thank you for everything Dr. Buss. For giving kids everywhere a reason to dream big. For giving families a time to come together and cheer. For giving me a chance and a purpose. May you rest in peace.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... um=twitter

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:47 pm

This was not just a jersey to throw on. This wasn’t just a game to play. This was an honor, and to wear the “Purple and Gold” was a responsibility.

derek fisher is just an awesome human being and a laker through and through.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:48 am

Love those Fisher comments.

Here is a cool story MWP shared with the media after the game about his close relationship with Dr. Jerry Buss:

Metta World Peace shared a bittersweet story of how he found out about Dr. Jerry Buss' declining health ...

"We'd talk quite often," World Peace said when asked about late Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss after L.A. beat the Celtics 113-99 on Wednesday. "Sometimes we would get breakfast together, we would get lunch a lot together and I just remember one day calling for lunch and he couldn't come. He couldn't go to lunch and that was it. That was a long time ago and I found out what happened and I went to go visit him in the hospital. So, I told him when he got out (of the hospital) we were going to go back to breakfast, get some more breakfast or get some lunch. But that didn't happen."

World Peace said him and Buss would often meet at Bristol Farms for their meals and get together at least once every two weeks.

MWP has played for five different teams -- Chicago, Indiana, Sacramento, Houston and LAL -- and said he was closest with Buss out of all of those owners.

Pretty cool that he and Buss would meet up so often
Battle Tested20

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Via the Times:

The Times' Lakers Now blog plans to host a live-stream of the memorial service for late Lakers owner Jerry Buss at 3 p.m. KTLA will also show the event live on televison.
Buss, who bought the Lakers, the Kings, the Forum and a ranch in 1979 for $67 million from Jack Kent Cooke, died Monday of kidney failure after a long battle with an undisclosed cancer.
The order of speakers was released on Thursday:
Welcome- Tim Leiweke
Speakers
Jim Hill (emcee)
Johnny Buss
Frank Mariani
David Stern
Musical performance by Randy Newman
Jerry West
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Phil Jackson

USC band performs "Amazing Grace"
Shaquille O'Neal
Pau Gasol
Pat Riley

Musical performance by Davis Gaines
Kobe Bryant
Magic Johnson

Closing remarks: Jim Hill
Program ends--Frank Sinatra's "My Way"
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:05 pm

I think the Lakers should put a Buss statue in his chair, in his box overlooking the floor. He is the reason we have a Staples Center and the Lakers are the reason its so amazing. Buss should forever live in that box.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby TIME on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 pm

What a line up of speakers. Interesting that Jim Buss is not speaking but Johnny is. I'm glad to see that Phil is speaking.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 pm

memorial will be streaming online

http://www.nba.com/lakers/live
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Glad to see West, Riley and Jackson come together to honor the man. Different men...different personalities...all winners. Even though he had a prickly relationship with Buss after the trade, O'Neal shows what a man he is by willing to set it aside and speak. Same goes with Abdul-Jabbar whom I'm sure resented to some degree Buss' favoritisim towards Johnson.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:58 pm

i hope i dont start crying at work
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:04 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i hope i dont start crying at work

As a Laker fan, the one for Hearn was difficult. This is just as painful if not more.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:05 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i hope i dont start crying at work

its fine if you or anybody does, he meant that much to us fans even if we didn't get a chance to meet him.

It's because of him that we have had the pleasure of watching such great teams and the players that the Lakers have had over the year.

He will never be forgotten!v :jam2:
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne

How much respect is there for Dr. Buss in sports world? Pats owner Robert Kraft, NBA commish David Stern, and OKC's Clay Bennett here

Pretty Cool
Battle Tested20

Postby easyguy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I dont think we should be sad at all. Dr. Jerry Buss have lived a life that we all would have wanted. The only time I have seen him was at a lakers game, right after the game seeing him going into his Royce with three beautiful models, I knew this guy have lived the lifestyle many of us guys wanted. I think his death brought an end to his suffering with the cancer.
easyguy

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:26 pm

his oldest son really looks and sounds like him
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:his oldest son really looks and sounds like him

the voice and gait were nearly identical

not really enjoying tomlinson's eulogy
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion