Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Re: Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:58 pm

gcclaker wrote:Other than Johnson's heartfelt and rousing speech...the ONE that HIT me: Riley "I'm home..."

Riles. Magic. Phil. All of these guys just really got me today.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:04 pm

The diamond quote by Dr Buss from Phil was very nice. I miss Phil.
Kit

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 pm

therealdeal wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Other than Johnson's heartfelt and rousing speech...the ONE that HIT me: Riley "I'm home..."

Riles. Magic. Phil. All of these guys just really got me today.

Yeah it had been a while since I have seen Phil get so choked up before. I loved his joke about Jerry West not talking as long as he did at that time to start his speech too. :man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Abdul-Jabbar talked of how Buss wanted every player to play to their full potential... Himself, Johnson, Worthy, Bryant. Left out #34.
:man3:

Johnson spoke of how Buss bought the team and wanted to beat our hated rivals badly? He said it in all seriousness like a cold blooded assasin. Loved it!

Also, West looking dead straight on and talking to Stern...mentioning how much integrity and honesty Buss had then questioning whether other owners do? Damn priceless! Just priceless!
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Legendary on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:42 pm

gcclaker wrote:Abdul-Jabbar talked of how Buss wanted every player to play to their full potential... Himself, Johnson, Worthy, Bryant. Left out #34.

Johnson spoke of how Buss bought the team and wanted to beat our hated rivals badly? He said it in all seriousness like a cold blooded assasin. Loved it!

Also, West looking dead straight on and talking to Stern...mentioning how much integrity and honesty Buss had then questioning whether other owners do? Damn priceless! Just priceless!

THIS was epic. West basically called out the the entire league and all of the petulant shady owners.

I LOVED IT.
Legendary

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:29 pm

gcclaker wrote:Abdul-Jabbar talked of how Buss wanted every player to play to their full potential... Himself, Johnson, Worthy, Bryant. Left out #34.

This was classic.

No matter that they're working elsewhere Riley, West know they're Lakers for life...... They're leading their teams in the Laker way.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby c.Lin on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:33 pm

"If you were a reporter, you wanted five more minutes. If you played poker with him, you wanted to stay just one more hand. If you were a friend, you just wanted to hang out for another hour or so. But, you know, if you were his child, you wanted 80 more years." :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6:
c.Lin

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Mike Bresnahan @Mike_Bresnahan
So...who is Greg Tomlinson? A Jim Buss friend and a "late addition to the prorgam," for Jerry Buss ceremony, Lakers spokesman said.

Jimmy needs to hire a publicist, like yesterday.

That being said, Jack isn't a "common man"...but he's definitely a fan! If they needed the proper voice of a fan, it should have been his.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
So...who is Greg Tomlinson? A Jim Buss friend and a "late addition to the prorgam," for Jerry Buss ceremony, Lakers spokesman said.

Jimmy needs to hire a publicist, like yesterday.

That being said, Jack isn't a "common man"...but he's definitely a fan! If they needed the proper voice of a fan, it should have been his.

This, it would have been great to hear a long time fan who was there for a lot of the championships and most likely knew Jerry very well to speak from a fan's point of view of what Jerry meant to us, not some random guy who nobody knew about.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Pig Miller on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:07 pm

^was jack there? i didn't watch it, only listed to it.

and seriously, that greg tomlinson dude was terrible.

one thing i thought would have been nice was to have someone from the 90's teams talk (the ones that weren't title contenders).

i would have been okay with flea getting up there to talk on behalf of the fans too.
Pig Miller

Postby Legendary on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:

I was afraid this was the case. This guy was HORRIBLE, and frankly, embarrassing. His lack of knowledge/personal connection to Dr. Buss was painfully obvious. And if he was supposed to represent "the common fan"...wow.

Dude may have even be high or drunk. SMH.
Last edited by Legendary on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legendary

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 pm

I am fine with whomever they chose to speak. I think it was a great ceremony ended perfectly with applause for the greatest owner in history.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Does anybody have a clip of Magic / Riley / West / others talking about Dr. Buss? I missed it
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne

How much respect is there for Dr. Buss in sports world? Pats owner Robert Kraft, NBA commish David Stern, and OKC's Clay Bennett here

Pretty Cool

Not to change the subject or deflect from all the wishes, myself included, for Dr Buss and the Buss family and the Lakers associates, but just wanted to say I like Ramona a lot on ESPN 710 radio with the guys. Great gal, great voice and heard them talking one day....she was quite an athlete as well in school. Softball pitcher, at least on at least one championship team.

I recorded the service and will be watching it later tonight. Just starting to read through you guys' impressions from having already seen it. Thanks!
LTLakerFan

Postby Legendary on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I am fine with whomever they chose to speak. I think it was a great ceremony ended perfectly with applause for the greatest owner in history.

Yes, It was a great ceremony.

But I have to tell you, while Tomlinson was speaking, I actually said out loud: "Who the f*** is this idiot?"

Two minutes into his speech, I was praying he didn't say something completely off the wall and ruin the whole thing...that's how bad I thought he was.

Dr. Buss deserved better than this moron. Thankfully all of the other speakers did an eloquent job of expressing their love for Dr. Buss.
Legendary

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Kasumi wrote:
TIME wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:
not really enjoying tomlinson's eulogy

He was lame.

Long winded and irrelevant. Asking for tix to a game during a ecology? #fail

?? Which Tomlinson was this? Not the football player?

EDIT. OK never mind, someone later said it was some reporter. Sounded like a "fail" from what you said. Too long and not appropriate.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Dammit I had things to do tonight, was out and forgot to record it, does anyone know if it will re-air, or be posted online?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Saw it from Johnny [?] Buss to the end... Missed this Tomlinson speaker. Did not know what level of connection he had with Jerry Buss.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 pm

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Kinda off-topic but don't you think Dwight realizes these days how special it is to play for the purple&gold?

And why was Tomlinson speaking? I only saw the last part. I only know this guy from being a reporter on surf contests for billabong :man3:

Edit: I think I saw the whole team there - but not surprising to me?!

I would think ........with Dwight if he was there, seeing the Laker Legends and family and history on display for their great owner of this great franchise...... it had to have put at least some additional perspective into all of this now for him about being a Laker. Hope so anyway.
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Legendary wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:I am fine with whomever they chose to speak. I think it was a great ceremony ended perfectly with applause for the greatest owner in history.

Yes, It was a great ceremony.

But I have to tell you, while Tomlinson was speaking, I actually said out loud: "Who the f*** is this idiot?"

Two minutes into his speech, I was praying he didn't say something completely off the wall and ruin the whole thing...that's how bad I thought he was.

Dr. Buss deserved better than this moron. Thankfully all of the other speakers did an eloquent job of expressing their love for Dr. Buss.

I was saying the same thing when dude walked up in purple pants. Since I recorded it I just fast forwarded his portion. I still won't complain because the family or someone in connection with the family.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

This guy on youtube posted the main ones

http://www.youtube.com/user/FunkyAxel111
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

:man4: :man4: No..... really he did that!!!! :bow: :man10: :beer:
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm

-I loved when Kobe told all the current Lakers to look around at all the greatness associated with the Lakers. (Yes, that was about Dwight).

- I loved Pat saying, "I feel like I'm home"

- I loved Phil telling the Diamond story

- I loved Jerry West saying Buss was above reproach as an owner and a man

All in all I loved all the great people who spoke about the greatness of this man. I have been lucky to have spent nearly all my Lakers fandom under Jerry. RIP DR B
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:This guy on youtube posted the main ones

http://www.youtube.com/user/FunkyAxel111

Sweet thank you.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Finwë wrote:Does anybody have a clip of Magic / Riley / West / others talking about Dr. Buss? I missed it

Go to Youtube and search FunkyAxel111, this guy uploaded everyone of the speakers speeches I believe.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion