Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Re: Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Postby Aonex on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Just saw Phil's speech and maybe it's just me, but I think I saw confirmation of the bad blood between Phil and Jerry West. First was his joke about Jerry speaking too long, which I initially figured was one of Phil's usual zingers. But then when Phil commented on winning as many championships as the 80s teams, the camera zoomed in on Jerry and he looked pissed. Again, maybe I'm reading too much into things, but did anyone else notice this?
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby McLaren on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 pm

No way I wasn't going to don my Laker thread today. Not much of Dr. Buss' life was documented (or should I say I really didn't know much), but his presence will be sorely missed; that cannot be overstated. Other fans bash us for being spoiled, but it's nobody's fault but Jerry's- he's the one who spoiled us. The entire city, fans (and the league) are beneficiaries of all he's done.

"For Jerry." I hope that will be said in every Laker huddle
McLaren

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Was "Dan" there? Doubt the first "Mike" was there.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm

gcclaker wrote:Abdul-Jabbar talked of how Buss wanted every player to play to their full potential... Himself, Johnson, Worthy, Bryant. Left out #34.
:man3:

Johnson spoke of how Buss bought the team and wanted to beat our hated rivals badly? He said it in all seriousness like a cold blooded assasin. Loved it!

Also, West looking dead straight on and talking to Stern...mentioning how much integrity and honesty Buss had then questioning whether other owners do? Damn priceless! Just priceless!

I noticed the Kareem barb. I am hopeful that he was just naming players that played their entire careers together, but Kareem didn't so maybe he forgot something there.

I definitely noticed West looking Stern right in the face. I'm glad someone did. How that jerk could show his face in that ceremony... Just ridiculous. After he nixed our Paul deal AND helped build a deal that was designed specifically to kill us. Even his story was about how great of a sport Buss was when he was opposed.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Weezy wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:This guy on youtube posted the main ones

http://www.youtube.com/user/FunkyAxel111

Sweet thank you.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 pm

We've had the best coaches, best players, best GM's, & best owner; we were also the best organization ran professionally in ALL sports, IMO. Everything is World-Class. Thank you, Jerry. Let's carry on his legacy of excellence.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Nikez on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 pm

I wonder if smush showed up
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby WilliamHaven on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 am

It's going to be repeated several times I imagine in the next couple days for anyone that missed it.

Kobe, Magic, Jerry, Phil, and even Johnny Buss all did great. Pat too, but he went overboard with his philosophical musings
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 am

agree with ppl who said they should have gone with jack or flea to represent the fans over that tomlinson idiot. that would've been pretty special. that tomlinson delivered a bumbling/fumbling speech that resonated no connection or genuine emotion. the tasteless joke about "i'm not even a season ticket holder but if anyone wants to hook me up that'd be great" pretty much sums up the whole thing.

otherwise there were so many good moments, but i think my favorite take-away image was all the lakers, past and present, standing together.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 am

When i started to follow the team seriously, class was the constant word associated with the Lakers, I had to look up the meaning then considering my age in the 80s, language quirks and all. But as I grew older, I realized why it was only used for the Laker organization and no one else. It's because of the owner. The team follows the character of the owner.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 am

" I wanted a 1st extension , he gave it to me , I wanted a 2nd extension , he gave it to me , I wanted a third extension , he traded me"

:man10: :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby odom1year on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:22 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:" I wanted a 1st extension , he gave it to me , I wanted a 2nd extension , he gave it to me , I wanted a third extension , he traded me"

:man10: :man10:

odom1year

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 am

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 am

Aonex wrote:Just saw Phil's speech and maybe it's just me, but I think I saw confirmation of the bad blood between Phil and Jerry West. First was his joke about Jerry speaking too long, which I initially figured was one of Phil's usual zingers. But then when Phil commented on winning as many championships as the 80s teams, the camera zoomed in on Jerry and he looked pissed. Again, maybe I'm reading too much into things, but did anyone else notice this?

No I don't think you are. I finally watched everything on time delay at midnight. That was a really crappy remark to make about Jerry speaking too long. You could tell how emotional West was talking about Dr Buss and how genuine he was about it. West is a figure you want to hear everything he says because he's eloquent and brilliant, but at heart he's a pretty private guy. That was really uncomfortable and out of place for that to be done by Phil. And I think you're right that Jerry was seething afterward, especially with the added 5 rings to match the 80s comment.

And wow too, I didn't realize until I saw it that West wasn't just looking at Stern and his "henchman", Silver, when he said what he did about Jerry Buss' integrity and honesty toward the league but questioned some of the other owners. He freaking called out both of their names to make sure they were listening.
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 am

And thanks everyone for the warning on that Tomlinson clown. WTF did Jim Buss invite him to speak for, to share WHAT? :man5: I confirmed yep he had no business up there after less than a minute and just fast forwarded past that plastic fool.
LTLakerFan

Postby bigdog2013 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:53 am

Phil Jackson is one of the reason why Jerry West left the Lakers. They didnt see eye to eye all the time.
bigdog2013

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 am

bigdog2013 wrote:Phil Jackson is one of the reason why Jerry West left the Lakers. They didnt see eye to eye all the time.

Just talk show opinions from some of our local hosts over the years but one of the issues seemed to be possibly Jerry was uncomfortable with the Jeannie connection so soon after Phil got there. Then of course all bets were off and no love lost between them on Jerry's part if the well reported incident took place where Jerry dropped into the locker room at one of the important half times and Phil told him to GTFO of the locker room. Who knows what else, but these guys also competed against one another as players in case that somehow factors into the equation of their bad relationship.
LTLakerFan

Postby WilliamHaven on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 am

LTLakerFan wrote:
Aonex wrote:Just saw Phil's speech and maybe it's just me, but I think I saw confirmation of the bad blood between Phil and Jerry West. First was his joke about Jerry speaking too long, which I initially figured was one of Phil's usual zingers. But then when Phil commented on winning as many championships as the 80s teams, the camera zoomed in on Jerry and he looked pissed. Again, maybe I'm reading too much into things, but did anyone else notice this?

No I don't think you are. I finally watched everything on time delay at midnight. That was a really crappy remark to make about Jerry speaking too long. You could tell how emotional West was talking about Dr Buss and how genuine he was about it. West is a figure you want to hear everything he says because he's eloquent and brilliant, but at heart he's a pretty private guy. That was really uncomfortable and out of place for that to be done by Phil. And I think you're right that Jerry was seething afterward, especially with the added 5 rings to match the 80s comment.

And wow too, I didn't realize until I saw it that West wasn't just looking at Stern and his "henchman", Silver, when he said what he did about Jerry Buss' integrity and honesty toward the league but questioned some of the other owners. He freaking called out both of their names to make sure they were listening.

I think you guys are looking too much into this (although I do think they don't get along). I think Phil's joke was more about how little Jerry speaks in general (or at least on that particular car ride) than it was a crack about how long he spoke at the memorial.

That is, he was kind of telling us indirectly how much Buss meant to West, that West would talk so much which was out of his character. That's how I saw it, anyway.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby 432J on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:24 am

i know that there's been tension between phil and jerry west in the past but i don't think phil was actually trying to diss jerry during his speech. certainly not during dr. buss's memorial service

and why the hell would they let that tomlinson guy deliver a speech? his speech was just flat out ridiculous and awkward. like someone said earlier, they should have let jack or flea represent "the fans", even dyan cannon who's been going to games since the 80s. tomlinson's presence was just confusing

anyone know if brown or dan tony were there?
432J

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 am

Well I hope you guys' read on it is correct or else that was a pretty crappy moment, and if I'm recalling it correctly now, there was no hint of one of Phil's sarcastic, poke you, grins when he said it. But Jerry sure looked at least like he was pissed when the camera cut over after the 5 rings to match the 80s remark. I suppose too that could have just been the sadness of the occasion. But if he had seen any humor in the rings remark, or even recognition of what Phil achieved with the Lakers, he might have grinned or nodded.

Whatever. More concerned with the bridge that Jim burned with Phil.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:50 am

WilliamHaven wrote:I think you guys are looking too much into this (although I do think they don't get along). I think Phil's joke was more about how little Jerry speaks in general (or at least on that particular car ride) than it was a crack about how long he spoke at the memorial.

That is, he was kind of telling us indirectly how much Buss meant to West, that West would talk so much which was out of his character. That's how I saw it, anyway.

This.

Besides their differences, I think Phil was just trying to make a joke about how stoic West is usually. He's never been a long talker and he certainly had a lot to say at the memorial. I think Phil's joke was just that: a joke.

That doesn't mean Jerry had to take it well and of course given their history I'm not sure it was a well placed joke. Such things happen though at ceremonies like this.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 am

I absolutely took Phil's comment as a small jab at Jerry West. That's just Phil being Phil.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 am

But if true Phil being Phil is a really poor reason to do a crappy, petty thing at Jerry's memorial service to an all time Laker legend. The Logo. Phil's remark about the equal 5 rings later certainly was not thrown out there off the cuff from a guy as smart as Phil. Too bad I think it diminishes Phil just a little. To be that petty.

If it was meant in fun at the outset Phil could have or should have given one of those smug, smarter than you, but enjoyable grins as he said it. We all know what those looked like from his years with the press. I miss that part of our team.....him dealing with the reporters and smart answers he gave.
LTLakerFan

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers

Owner Dr. Jerry Buss was laid to rest this morning in a private burial in front of family & close friends at Forest Lawn Memorial Park.

The GREAT Dr. Jerry Buss ladies & gentlemen, God bless his family.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby gcclaker on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:15 pm

^Well, that's closure folks. :(
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion