Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Re: Dr. Jerry Buss Appreciation Thread (May the Good Dr RIP)

Postby dmaul on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:06 pm

i didn't really take Phil's words as a jab at West, at least not what some people are making it out to be. Maybe a light hearted poke. Everyone knows West is reserved, a man of few words. Remember how he introduced Jackson for the first time as head coach: "Without further ado, the new coach of the Los Angeles Lakers." That was it. This is probably the most we'll ever hear West talk and it was a real treat. West, like Dr. Buss, is a true gentleman. Lots of legends at this event, but none of them classier than Jerry West.
dmaul

Postby Murdock on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Interesting thing was that most of the people giving their piece were saying something in lines of: good luck jeanie in leading the lakers ... pretty anti Jim speeches IMO
Murdock

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 am

Classy move by the Heat organization

The Heat held a moment of silence pregame for Los Angeles Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss, the moment ending with warm applause from the crowd.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=400278553
wcsoldier81

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:11 am

Legendary wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Abdul-Jabbar talked of how Buss wanted every player to play to their full potential... Himself, Johnson, Worthy, Bryant. Left out #34.
:man3:

Johnson spoke of how Buss bought the team and wanted to beat our hated rivals badly? He said it in all seriousness like a cold blooded assasin. Loved it!

Also, West looking dead straight on and talking to Stern...mentioning how much integrity and honesty Buss had then questioning whether other owners do? Damn priceless! Just priceless!

THIS was epic. West basically called out the the entire league and all of the petulant shady owners.

I LOVED IT.
Jerry West sending a message to Stern in his speech was unexpectedly awesome.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 am

Don't know which is more painful: the loss of Dr. Buss itself or the thought of the team's future without him.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 am

lakersyunowin wrote:>>agree with ppl who said they should have gone with jack or flea to represent the fans over that tomlinson idiot. that would've been pretty special. that tomlinson delivered a bumbling/fumbling speech that resonated no connection or genuine emotion. the tasteless joke about "i'm not even a season ticket holder but if anyone wants to hook me up that'd be great" pretty much sums up the whole thing.
<<

This.

I was waiting for that half-wit to throw up his hands and shout "San Dimas High School football rules!"
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 am

BDG wrote:
Legendary wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Abdul-Jabbar talked of how Buss wanted every player to play to their full potential... Himself, Johnson, Worthy, Bryant. Left out #34.
:man3:

Johnson spoke of how Buss bought the team and wanted to beat our hated rivals badly? He said it in all seriousness like a cold blooded assasin. Loved it!

Also, West looking dead straight on and talking to Stern...mentioning how much integrity and honesty Buss had then questioning whether other owners do? Damn priceless! Just priceless!

THIS was epic. West basically called out the the entire league and all of the petulant shady owners.

I LOVED IT.
Jerry West sending a message to Stern in his speech was unexpectedly awesome.

Agreed. Just watched that speech again last night. That was so awesome!!!! Loved how he called them out that way and held Jerry up as the model. So good.

I can't even look at Stern, the toad. To me he's the male version of Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter. He got too drunk on his own power. Can't wait til he folds it up.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Bump for the Dr.....

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 17m
Lakers took their team photo today and left an empty seat right in the middle between Dwight and Pau. #buss
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby GoldHammish on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm

GoldHammish

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion