Jerry West discusses Phil, D'Antoni, Js, owns Max Kellerman

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Jerry West discusses Phil, D'Antoni, Js, owns Max Kellerman

Postby TIME on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Not sure how he owned Max.

I did find his comment around the 9 minute mark on point when he stated the obvious regarding Kobe's heavy minutes played and the inevitability of nothing good coming from it.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:03 pm

I actually find Jerry West to be a little obnoxious at times. I heard the interview today and he was coming off like an a** over simple obvious questions from Max. He has to know he'd be asked about Kobe's tweets, MDA's job performance, Phil, etc. Why do the interview if you are not game for these questions Jerry?

He kept saying coaching is a terrible job. I recall his relaying the pain and agony of his position as a GM. Just strange how he stays involved in basketball yet speaks of it like its torture. Always make me feel like telling him if its that bad Jerry then f****** retire already.
lotus

Postby WilliamHaven on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 pm

lotus wrote:I actually find Jerry West to be a little obnoxious at times. I heard the interview today and he was coming off like an a** over simple obvious questions from Max. He has to know he'd be asked about Kobe's tweets, MDA's job performance, Phil, etc. Why do the interview if you are not game for these questions Jerry?

He kept saying coaching is a terrible job. I recall his relaying the pain and agony of his position as a GM. Just strange how he stays involved in basketball yet speaks of it like its torture. Always make me feel like telling him if its that bad Jerry then f****** retire already.

yeah, whenever he is interviewed there is a 50/50 chance he just ends up sounding like a grumpy old man. usually the good interviews are when he talks about a specific player...kobe, magic, kareem, etc. basketball in general, it's torture.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 pm

He's a perfectionist. That's why he tortures himself over every job he does, but he's still a really great GM, and really knowledgable about basketball. Great players are rarely good coaches, so I give him a pass there. Ask Norm how he rode his butt to play at a West level, just like Magic was the only guy who could run the point the way he envisioned, so his coaching was less than stellar.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 am

I don't think Jerry own Max, IMO. I can't stand Max by the way. He's an idiot at times. Jerry offered some decent insight, though. I do like the fact that Jerry said Max was belaboring the point about Phil being here. I think I've had a tendency to do that as well. It's time to move on, IMO
dwighthowardsdad

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am

Jerry West was grumpy the whole time, any question he would answer aggressively, even if it was a simple question. Terrible interview.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby kenshi1023 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:50 am

he still doesn't like pj... lol, gotta respect the logo, but he does come off as a little [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and too emotional (in a weak way) at time. starting to think kupchak is more likeable. it could be the old age is getting to him.
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby VincentTH on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm

No it's not because of the old age. The Logo just could not give up the grudge he hold against PJ when the coach told him to get out of the locker room!!!!

Now with that said, PJ has never been a guy a lot of people can work with, but IMHO no other coach can have the basketball mind that he has. People said that PJ was lucky to have 11 teams full of great players, but remember that Del Harris had pretty much the same team PJAX had, and yet could not manage to get past the Jazz. I still remember the Final game #4 against the Magics, Lakers down by a couple, and PJ's brilliance comes to play, sending El Presidente to bring the ball up. The Magics were so worried about Kobe, and allowed DFish to pull a 3-pointer as time expired. That's why he has won 11 championships!!!

Only a blind Jimmy Buss can fail to see that assembling a great roster without a great (or at least decent) coach would not cut it!!!
VincentTH

Return to Lakers Discussion