JERRY WEST: THE jump shot

Re: JERRY WEST: THE jump shot

Postby jlkr on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:41 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Do not subscribe to that. You can't take a great player and competitor from a previous era, drop him into now, and then not give him access to modern training, nutrition and medicine.

Wilt would have done serious damage to today's NBA with modern training, nutrition and medicine. How well he ran the court in his early days is just freakish for back then and would be very much at home in today's game. He was on the tail end of his career when facing Kareem for the first time and Kareem still had a hard time with him.

Anyway, West FTW. West in today's game would have a left hand and got the pull up jump shot working with it.
Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend...
--Hayward
jlkr

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Absolutely. And add a modern day crossover to his quickness and he would have been even more of a nightmare. With the way he got his shot up, you almost would have to consistently run two guys at him to try to prevent him from draining jumper after jumper after jumper.

Was discussing with friends at lunch if they thought West and Bryant could have functioned on the floor together. I suppose Kobe moves to the three and Jerry at the two. Intensity wise, they are basically dynamic mirror images of one another. Would they defer to one another for the last shot? It would have been fascinating to watch, if it even worked at all.
Alleyhoops

Postby slimjim on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 pm

I don't think West would be as dominant as he was in the 60s 70s...

Naturally, he isn't an an athletic freak and his height hurts him. Even with modern nutrition/training I think he'd be in the bottom fourth in regards to athleticism.

Most SGs in this generation are 6'6ish. At 6'4 (and even that is generous, some have him pegged as low as 6'2), he'd be labelled a tweener guard. PG body, SG skillset. Would he have adjusted his game to becoming a PG in this era? He'd have to in order to excel in this era.
Last edited by slimjim on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimjim

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 pm

OK you changed your post so mine now makes no sense. Like many others of mine I'm sure. :man12: So retracted. But yes he would do really, really well in today's game no matter what height you peg him at.
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:37 pm

slimjim wrote:I don't think West would be as dominant as he was in the 60s 70s...

Naturally, he isn't an an athletic freak and his height hurts him. Even with modern nutrition/training I think he'd be in the bottom fourth in regards to athleticism.

Most SGs in this generation are 6'6ish. At 6'4 (and even that is generous, some have him pegged as low as 6'2), he'd be labelled a tweener guard. PG body, SG skillset. Would he have adjusted his game to becoming a PG in this era? He'd have to in order to excel in this era.

I don't think it would have much mattered. Quickness is quickness. Defenders could rarely even get a hand up on his jump shot, let alone block it. It's reaction time, not size. At 6 feet, Iverson used his quickness to get off shots. Their methods were different, but West would have utilized that same advantage.
Alleyhoops

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion