Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Thats a fair & well-reasoned post. Thanks for the post. I'm not a blind optimist, but I also am not ready to call D'Antoni a failure this soon. Jury is still very much out (though I have concerns).

Thanks Lakerman JSJ. As much as I've disliked D' Antoni I also have wanted to at least give him a fair shake, and I wouldn't call it a failure yet either. However, like you I've got big concerns. And I have to say this loss to Denver really kind of threw me for a loop. The Philadelphia loss was pretty unforgivable, but they were shooting lights out in a way that was difficult to stop. Tonight though - wow. No defense whatsoever. We just could not get stops and were playing behind once again.

Something needs to change soon in order to make the playoffs.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:21 am

I'm just waiting for Jim Buss to trade Kobe.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby odom1year on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 am

jimbo327 wrote:I'm just waiting for Jim Buss to trade Kobe.

Hiring a defensive minded coach should be fine.
odom1year

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 am

Weezy wrote:
khmrP wrote:How come this guy no where to be seen/heard from when things go awry?

To be fair he's an owner,they're supposed to be behind the scenes. I prefer that style to the Mark Cuban/Jerry Jones style where you wish they'd shut up and go away.

well I'm not asking for him to be a Cuban/Jones type owner either and he's not a true 100% owner just yet, he's a VP so he still obligated to be heard from.
khmrP

Postby lotus on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:39 am

khmrP wrote:
Weezy wrote:
khmrP wrote:How come this guy no where to be seen/heard from when things go awry?

To be fair he's an owner,they're supposed to be behind the scenes. I prefer that style to the Mark Cuban/Jerry Jones style where you wish they'd shut up and go away.

well I'm not asking for him to be a Cuban/Jones type owner either and he's not a true 100% owner just yet, he's a VP so he still obligated to be heard from.

He even said in a tv interview last year that he was going to be more visible. He's not. He is not qualified for a leadership role and displays no leadership. He's probably in a bar somewhere sitting in the corner with his cap pulled down somewhere waiting for the frustration and angst to go down.
lotus

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Hindsight is 20 20...

But I don't think ANYONE here felt 100% good about D'Antoni hire...

To be fair to Mike, he's made it known that he is one style type of guy. He's all run and gun, no defense and no adjustment. He's a coach that you put on a team where all of your guys are run and shoot guys...young and athletic...like Denver

Our players don't work in that type of a system. Our backcourt is slow so playing a transition game leaves us veunerable on defense getting back. Our shooters can't shoot or create.

There's no real structure out there and that might work fine if you have the guys but we don't have them and that's where the error occurred

And like I said, I don't think ANYONE on CL felt even 80% confident... We were all just in a euphoric mood since Potato got fired.
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 pm

F*** YOU JIM BUSS. slimy motherf***er
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 am

I'm not trying to blame Jim for Kobe getting injured, but he deserves some blame. His ego got in the way of bringing back Phil, who gets the most out of his role players and will ride lineups to rest guys even to a fault. Would we be great with Phil? No, I don't think so, but we'd be better managed as a team, better coached overall, and Kobe wouldn't play 48 mins a game.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 am

Two wrongs (MB & MDA) don't make a right. But can one right fix two wrongs?

If he wasn't so damn pig headed, he'd start crawling over to Phil's house now. Kiss his rings, his feet, wax his car, clean the gutters. Hold a press conference in front of Staples with Phil, allowing Phil to humiliate him in public for what he put him through and go ahead an unveil the statue of Phil right then and there.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 am

Weezy wrote:I'm not trying to blame Jim for Kobe getting injured, but he deserves some blame. His ego got in the way of bringing back Phil, who gets the most out of his role players and will ride lineups to rest guys even to a fault. Would we be great with Phil? No, I don't think so, but we'd be better managed as a team, better coached overall, and Kobe wouldn't play 48 mins a game.

by no means do i think we'd be ruling the west. but i can say with confidence that we would not be scrapping for the 8th seed, and kobe would not have had to play til his wheel fell off.
lakersyunowin

Postby borri on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:46 am

Weezy wrote:I'm not trying to blame Jim for Kobe getting injured, but he deserves some blame. His ego got in the way of bringing back Phil, who gets the most out of his role players and will ride lineups to rest guys even to a fault. Would we be great with Phil? No, I don't think so, but we'd be better managed as a team, better coached overall, and Kobe wouldn't play 48 mins a game.

I think I can safely say that if PJ was the coach. BOTH Nash and Kobe would still be playing right now AND we wouldn't be fighting for the 8th seed.

Uptempo offense with 39 yo Nash and 34 yo Kobe AND running an 8 man rotation.....recipe for disaster...and boy was it ever a disaster.
borri

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:34 pm

The really infuriating part is knowing that Jim Buss is probably going to continue to defend the D(less)Antoni hire and refuse to make a change next year. :mad1:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby Lqv2015 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:43 pm

I think this is an appropriate bump.

I don't think D12 could carry the Lakers torched or to another championship. So I'm like some on the other thread, not sad or disappointed that he's gone but at least he could've help make the Lakers a contender for years to come.

But boy is Jimmy's stock falling at a peak low now. Now we'll wait and see what he has up his sleeves. Hopefully D12 wasn't plan A B & C. So I'm going to be optimistic just because this is the Lakers we're talking here.
Last edited by Lqv2015 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby gill on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm

I blame Dwight for his decision.

That doesn't mean Jimmy is off the hook. Yes, he got us CP3, he got us Nash, and Dwight... but the moves in between easily erased those.
gill

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Oh please like Dwight leaving was Jim Buss's fault.

That's a load of crap. Don't let Dwight off the hook by giving him excuses like Jim Buss. It's DWIGHT'S fault he left us, not Jim.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:Oh please like Dwight leaving was Jim Buss's fault.

That's a load of crap. Don't let Dwight off the hook by giving him excuses like Jim Buss. It's DWIGHT'S fault he left us, not Jim.

although, jim didn't hire phil. that had to play some role

(though i don't mind that dwight left)
lakersyunowin

Postby Lqv2015 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 pm

I have to give him some blame for choosing MDA and staying firm with him. This coaching isn't taking this team anywhere.
LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:48 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Oh please like Dwight leaving was Jim Buss's fault.

although, jim didn't hire phil. that had to play some role

(though i don't mind that dwight left)

Jim also built this team with the roster we had last season which was a good team. He's shown he makes solid roster decisions. Did he strike out with the coaches? Sure. But he left because he's a coward who couldn't handle the bright lights of Hollywood. Good riddance.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm

I blame Jim AND Dwight. I don't think Dwight ever truly wanted to be here, I don't think he loved playing with Kobe and I don't think he has what it takes to handle the pressure here. He has now been quoted as saying he asked for Phil to be hired though, so by bringing in 'Antoni, you pretty much sealed Dwight walking. You could have done things to increase the chances of him staying, but Jim didn't, he went his own way and lost out. My thing is, we all knew how unhappy Dwight was at the deadline, and the Lakers had to know he was not happy with 'Antoni over Phil, so why not try to trade him at the deadline and get SOMETHING?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:53 pm

A superstar in his prime choose to leave the prestige Lakers franchise for less money, this never ever happened in the Lakers history before.

Jim Bust has tarnished the Lakers reputation so much, its so embarrassing. :bang:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 pm

When 99% of the team's fan base can call out a bad decision when it happens and ownership can't, it's time to step down. You're not cut out for this job Jimbo
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 pm

He could have fired D'Antoni and hired Phil but Phil doesn't want to coach and the Lakers were trying to show that they don't allow their players to dictate their coach. That's fine.

I think D'Antoni would have been gone mid-season if Dwight stayed. He's just that bad of a coach and it would have been obvious. But the Lakers don't operate that way right now. They give their coaches a shot first and they let that happen. Call it professional courtesy.

A more mature player would have recognized that or would have outright told the Lakers "I'm not signing here unless he's gone and that's final." What was all this bulls*** about him not telling the Lakers to fire D'Antoni if it was really a make or break thing?

He just didn't want to be in LA. And that's on Dwight. I think Mitch and Jim saw that and said "why the hell are we going to waste our money if this d***wad isn't staying anyway?"
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Dwight didn't want to be here. Thats his choice.

As for Jim, I'll never know why he would hire Pringles against Howard's wishes and then doubled down on the move and refused to fire him if he claimed that he was all in on Dwight though. You could probably count on one hand the amount of people that would have said that firing Pringles was the wrong move, Dwight or no Dwight.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:09 pm

i think there's plenty of blame for the two. jim sucked with his coaching hires. dwight doesn't have what it takes to carry a franchise imo.
lakersyunowin

Postby odom1year on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Jim has ego.
odom1year

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion