Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby L8KERS4LIFE on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:He was a third of the decision-making team for the Lakers. If you don't understand, then I won't waste my time discussing it.

Its not like any team is clamoring to acquire is prize possession Andrew Bynum! That's all he has to stand on and that is not much. He other acquisitions consist of McRoberts, Kapono, and Murphy and that's nothing to shout from a mountain top. We have the worst bench in the league. He knew that he couldn't have anyone from the Phil era around because they know about basketball than he will ever know!!
L8KERS4LIFE

Postby The Rock on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:00 am

Lets give him until Mar 15 . Im willing to give him a chance.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 am

We don't really know where the Lakers are headed right now as an organization .... and like in every period of uncertainty , the lack of communication makes it worse
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:58 am

I feel these are exciting times. :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:07 am

we HAD cp3. he tried.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lakersfever on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 am

Jim Buss hired Brown. That is his decision 100%. He has absolutely nothing to do with the previous championships because Dr. Buss was still the owner and was letting Mitch calling the shots. Jimmy Boy and Brown need to go, the sooner the better. But it probably won't happen because Dr. Buss loves his son more than his beloved Lakers. It is what it is. Just like Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, you can hate him all you want. He's still the owner and he can do whatever he wants. It's really disappointing to be a Lakers fan right now.
lakersfever

Postby Dmouse on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:48 am

I don't want to speculate but there r a lot of rumors being leaked before any trade happens. Just a hunch but I can see all those might have started from one of Jim's friend and confidant. Mitch and Leslie back when they do things r quiet until everything is completed.

The problem starts with Jerry Buss, Jennie is very capable of taking over the Lakers ( read laker girl). Jim who deserve part of the empire has not proven himself, so Jerry made the decision and place him as GM. Jim should have been just one of the other kids that gets a paycheck, but since he showed interest in the Lakers he had to give him an important job. The job resulted in trust issue between players and management, trust issues that is built by having relationship, Jennie build that thrust with the fans, Jim has not done that.
Dmouse

Postby L8KERS4LIFE on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:16 am

Dmouse wrote:I don't want to speculate but there r a lot of rumors being leaked before any trade happens. Just a hunch but I can see all those might have started from one of Jim's friend and confidant. Mitch and Leslie back when they do things r quiet until everything is completed.

The problem starts with Jerry Buss, Jennie is very capable of taking over the Lakers ( read laker girl). Jim who deserve part of the empire has not proven himself, so Jerry made the decision and place him as GM. Jim should have been just one of the other kids that gets a paycheck, but since he showed interest in the Lakers he had to give him an important job. The job resulted in trust issue between players and management, trust issues that is built by having relationship, Jennie build that thrust with the fans, Jim has not done that.

Amen! You are spot on and a lot of fans probably feel the same way!
L8KERS4LIFE

Postby lotus on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:22 am

Dmouse wrote:I don't want to speculate but there r a lot of rumors being leaked before any trade happens. Just a hunch but I can see all those might have started from one of Jim's friend and confidant. Mitch and Leslie back when they do things r quiet until everything is completed.

Do you think that trust issue will have a negative effect on the Lakers ability to attract free agents in the future? I would imagine it would. Unless a player is desperate to be on a team, any team, like a Kapono or Murphy, I would think if they have a choice they would listen to their peers and gossip on how a particular team does business.

I think its safe to say that Kobe is not enthusiastic about jimmy (and that might be mutual), so what's to say other players in the league haven't taken notice. It's a bad time for the Lakers to go through a chaotic spell considering their main local competition, the clippers, have a reversal of fortune this year and can provide a more exciting experience than the Lakers.
lotus

Postby OCLakersFan247 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:31 am

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28 wrote:
last stand wrote:jim makes moves as a fan. just like his father and just like cuban. its the best way to own a team. having an emotional interest in the team as opposed to a business always leads to more wins.

jim is a laker fan, he will always treat the team as such and i trust him because he's a fan

Actually I would think being a fan would only get in the way of being an effective GM/personnel guy.

Being a fan is probably a good thing, you can get a good vibe for how the general fandom feels about certain players and use that to help make decisions. But I get your point, being too much of a fan might lead you to not make a trade that would be good for the team because of an attachment to a certain player.

you mean how the laker fans had an erection for Sasha and we signed him to an idiotic contract?
"expose foes with hocus pocus flows, they froze, now suckas idealize my chosen blows"-2pac

"Check the Franck Mueller...the color of the Lakers"-Clipse
OCLakersFan247

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am

lakersfever wrote:Jim Buss hired Brown. That is his decision 100%. He has absolutely nothing to do with the previous championships because Dr. Buss was still the owner and was letting Mitch calling the shots. Jimmy Boy and Brown need to go, the sooner the better. But it probably won't happen because Dr. Buss loves his son more than his beloved Lakers. It is what it is. Just like Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, you can hate him all you want. He's still the owner and he can do whatever he wants. It's really disappointing to be a Lakers fan right now.

Your ignorance of how the Lakers have been run the past 7 or 8 seasons is glaring. Either you don't understand history, or you choose to revise it to support your bias.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:36 am

Lets give him a chance to get through the trade deadline before we vote him off the island.

We should be rolling with CP3 right now.
BadCoaching

Postby venturalakersfan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 am

Jim isn't going anywhere. I don't remember these critics the past 4 seasons with Jim as the GM.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
venturalakersfan

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am

Jim panic-selling Lamar... FTL

With Lamar, you are 1 player away from being the favorite to win.

Now we need both an elite guard and a legit small forward who can hit high 30s low 40s from 3 to even sniff June... And none can be had without losing one of our 3 best guys
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby kray28 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 am

venturalakersfan wrote:Jim isn't going anywhere. I don't remember these critics the past 4 seasons with Jim as the GM.

Jim isn't the GM....he's Vice President of Player Personnel or something. He is, for the lack of a better phrase: ownership meddling on the basketball side of things.

You know, the stuff Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder get heat for all the time.

It's one thing for ownership to be involved on the business side like Jeannie is...that's to be expected, but ownership actively being involved in player/personnel/scouting/talent evaluation....that's not something I think is a good idea.

If they are unhappy with Mitch, they need to let him go and bring in another reputable GM, otherwise, Jimmy needs to butt his head out of basketball operations and leave that to Mitch.
kray28

Postby kray28 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 am

TalkieWalkie wrote:Jim panic-selling Lamar... FTL

Yeah, there is just no way you can argue the far reaching damage inflicted by that move. I wasn't Lamar's biggest fan, and complained about his failings (for better or worse), but you can see the Lakers as a shell of their former selves without Lamar Odom. He truly was the glue guy....providing critical bench depth, doing the dirty work rebounding, and filling in all the gaps that the team had....doing the little things.

His value to this team wasn't in the stats...it was something else.

And Jim Buss couldn't wait to ditch him....they literally paid Cuban to take him off our hands.
Last edited by kray28 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kray28

Postby last stand on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:19 pm

kray28 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:Jim isn't going anywhere. I don't remember these critics the past 4 seasons with Jim as the GM.

Jim isn't the GM....he's Vice President of Player Personnel or something. He is, for the lack of a better phrase: ownership meddling on the basketball side of things.

You know, the stuff Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder get heat for all the time.

It's one thing for ownership to be involved on the business side like Jeannie is...that's to be expected, but ownership actively being involved in player/personnel/scouting/talent evaluation....that's not something I think is a good idea.

If they are unhappy with Mitch, they need to let him go and bring in another reputable GM, otherwise, Jimmy needs to butt his head out of basketball operations and leave that to Mitch.

But it was fine when dr. Buss meddled?
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby kray28 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Jerry Buss let Jerry West be the General Manager. Did he have input from time to time? Yes. In West' latter days with the Lakers, Jimmy was brought in...to learn the business of basketball. Because he'd failed in just about everything else he tried in life.

Jerry Buss certainly didn't install himself in the front office with a title like Jimbo there.

Executive VP of Player Personnel - that's Jim Buss' title.
kray28

Postby lakers_09tv on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Just saw this on LG.

Roland Lazenby tweeted this.

The hot potato for Jim Buss: You had to have had a better plan than grinding Kobe down with 40 minute games. That, in itself, is failure.

(When asked about Plan A - Chris Paul not happening) People everywhere have Plan B's. That's just a part of managing things. Anything but 40 mins for Kobe every night.

They get plenty of credit for making that (Chris Paul) deal. But when it fell thru, they still needed to get help, no matter what.

It's probably fair to say the Busses panicked with the Odom trade and are now hamstrung by it. But maybe that's unfair of me to say too.

(When asked "Dad letting son fail fast to grow fast") That's optimistic. Let's hope so.

The case can be made that the Lakers have made mistakes in this short season that will haunt the franchise for some time.

(Regarding OC Reg article about Kobe asking Lakers mgmt to make decision on Pau) Did that just happen? Did Kobe just send Jim Buss a message to quit screwin' around with his team? Has he joined the rebellion?

That's the next big disappointment for Lakers fans, that Gasol will be dealt at the deadline, probably in a crappy deal. Money dictates it.

No wonder other GMs talk about Kupchak's gloom. He knows he's going to have to dump Gasol like he dumped Odom.

Crappy deals ahead. But Lakers fans aren't going to buy the money angle not with that Time Warner fat cash deal out there.

Bigs like Gasol don't come along but maybe once in a franchise's lifetime, if they're lucky. Mitch will have to hold his nose to do that one
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby 24fanyes on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:03 pm

wow if we give Gasol away in a Crappy deal i'll be screaming for Kobe to leave this team
24fanyes

Postby lotus on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Lazenby makes sense.
lotus

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Looking at the NBA landscape right now, it's entirely conceivable that we could be a favorite to win the title if Jim Buss doesn't sell Lamar out... With roster as is...With drew being healthy and Kobe at 2008 level

Suffice it to say, when you have a player of Kobe's calibur who has worked BUtT off for you to be in the best possible physical condition you can be in and competing on such a high level and you go out and do a BS move like that...and waste the opportunity for him, and your team and the fans... ??? That's the definition of ineptitude... Ask Dallas if they'll take the TPE back...and bring back lamar... Or use the TPE to get a player of equal value... Which you most definitely WONt

So now what Jim? Dump Gasol? For who? Rondo??

Lateral move at best... Terrible move at worst... Big for small? More scoring ability for less scoring ability?

Then if you get him, who's your front line??? Bynum all by his lonesome? You gonna trade drew for Dwight straight up?

The dynamic abilities of passing, scoring rebounding and defending that you had in the combo of Pau and Odom is no more and now what do you have against other teams???
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby GoatMilk16 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:56 pm

i really wonder what crappy deal we get

hurry up deadline >.<

(btw, ignore my avi. i definitely dont want to trade pau in a salary dump. i want some serious talent if we have to trade him)
GoatMilk16

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 pm

The worst thing Jim has done is bring in Mike Brown. Terrible coach for these players, he's not adjusting and continues to ask players to do things they can't and shouldn't be doing. Odom is on Mitch and Jim, there was a different way to solve that problem, or at least get a better return on the deal. Cuban defused our bench and stole our reliability guy, they don't even need Odom. You can't fix stupid overnight. The season is scarred with those failures, even bringing in superstars doesn't guarantee victory with this coach in place. He's that bad IMO.

This team is over .500 on the pure talent of Kobe/Pau/Andrew alone. The rest of the team sucks, or are ineffective because of no play time or improper usage.
BadCoaching

Postby kray28 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:14 pm

If we still had Lamar, we'd be better even with Brown's retarded offense. Having Lamar means we easily have 5-6 more wins right now.

If we ran an offense actually suited to our personnel (Adelman or Shaw as coach), we'd be leading the Conference right now.

No doubt in my mind.

What Jimmy Bust has done == ruin a dynasty. He needed just a few months to do it. This is why you don't your kids play with your grown up toys.
kray28

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion