Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby lotus on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:20 am

Ahhhhhh, my favorite thread on CL. Why? Because it's the only topic that really matters. We can talk about who we want to acquire, what direction we go in, old players, injured players, etc. But it starts with the person calling the shots. Good business always does.

If you don't have confidence in jimmy, then why would you think players will? They know better info than us. Remember Kobe had to throw a trade me tantrum to get that sloth to do something. Doubling down on MDA by putting him in the finale meeting only to have him sit there. That sends the message of screw you dwight, it's the jimmy way or the highway. Idiot. This is a business jimmy, not an ego trip. That's why I don't blame dwight for leaving, it was the smart move to make. Think about it, he walked away from $30MM!
lotus

Postby khmrP on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:26 am

where's he at? can't be made to the public for any type of comments?
khmrP

Postby Amoray on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:27 am

The best thing to do for the franchise, Dr. Buss, ex great players who built this organization is all season ticket holders to cancell for next year as well as all fans used to go to the staple center do not show up until Jimmy Bust resigns. Let all ex Lakers players speak out for the ouster of Jimm Bust. This is the only way this franchise can be saved or sale the franchise. TWC should intervine right now and push Jimm Bust to resign from his post.
Amoray

Postby bigdog2013 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:39 am

David stern veto trade of the CP3 set the franchise back not jim buss.
bigdog2013

Postby lotus on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 am

bigdog2013 wrote:David stern veto trade of the CP3 set the franchise back not jim buss.

That sounds like something a sulking jimmy buss would say, and frankly it would further prove that he's not cut out for this business. In a business based on annual deal making, if you hold on to the deal that go away to explain your failures 2 years later, then this is not the business for you. That's called an excuse. You are going to lay this guy's incompetence in coaching decisions and losing dwight on the cp3 deal? Come on now.
lotus

Postby ibeo on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:11 am

ah yes when all else fails blame jimmy...the club lakers standard
ibeo

Postby lotus on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:42 am

ibeo wrote:ah yes when all else fails blame jimmy...the club lakers standard

And your position is what?
lotus

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:16 pm

not all his fault...some though is.

it all comes down to david stern vetoing the cp3 trade. he had a conflict of interest and shouldnt have intervened. CP3 debacle was said to set the lakers back 4-5 year apparently and so far it has. with the CP3 trade we got CP3 & Kobe teamed up and the following season Dwight would have followed. Houston would have gotten their center in Pau that THEY WANTED and everyone would have been happy. Now were left with literally nothing and i blame stern. Obviously jim didnt help by chosing Dantoni over Phil BUT that was after Stern.
Ariza3

Postby R24ADY on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Right, all Stern fault. Now his mission is already accomplish bringing Heat two titles. It's very funny fans booing him at the draft night. At least he is gone after the All Star break. Let's move on and stop the blaming. Jeannie Buss and Phil wouldn't let this team go down. Next year, we have a good chance to sign best free agents. We are not stuck with Coward for 5 years. I'm expecting the Coward decision at first, so I'm just happy for the outcome. All I need to wis is for Kobe's successful comeback.
Gasol also said he would remember the team's hectic exit from TD Banknorth Garden after the Game 6 loss.
A mob of Celtics fans pounded the Lakers' bus with their fists and shouted out expletives. Some revelers threw rocks and chased the bus down the street.
"It's something that I'm going to keep in mind all year long until we get there again," Gasol said.
R24ADY

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 pm

I couldn't decide what thread to put this in, but I it had mainly to do with the Jim Buss era so I'll put it here. This is why I don't love what we're doing with going 2014 free agency or bust, if we miss, we are going to be bad a looooong time.

@KamBrothers: If as @Ramonashelburne says they'd have amnestied Pau if D12 stayed, it says they're putting every egg into the FA basket...

@KamBrothers: ...Which is a very risky and inefficient way to put together a championship caliber team. BK

@KamBrothers: The class of UFA's next summer is overrated. If they're willing to go slow (as in multiple summers) it could work, but if not? Yeeks. BK

Personally I think trading Pau and Nash and trying to start to get good going pieces now is a better way to go. If we miss on big free agents in 2014, we're going to have to settle for the second tier guys, and again, be bad to mediocre for a looooong time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:50 pm

only time will tell if this year was the death of the lakers as we know them
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 am

As far as I know there isn't anyone who can lead this franchise in the 2014 FA class outside of LeBron so putting all your hopes on landing him is probably one of the most idiotic things you can do and says a lot about the kinds of decisions we can expect for extended future
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:41 am

Kam Brothers points are valid ... Lakers FO unfortunately doesn't have the patience nor the habit to patiently build a contender ... that's why I think we are going to end up overpaying an aging star/overrated star ala Melo/Gay/ Z-Bo or whoever is willing to come here
wcsoldier81

Postby DHL on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:02 am

ibeo wrote:ah yes when all else fails blame jimmy...the club lakers standard
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby purp n gold on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:36 am

While some around here think it's "popular" to just blame Jim, I think it's gotten "popular" to excuse the man.

It's not entirely his fault, but an appropriate amount of blame should be assigned to the man. He is leading this franchise by way of basketball decisions. On his watch? 2 suspect coaching hires and an inability to retain D12. Those are 3 big strikes there. He is largely, not solely, but largely responsible for what's happened.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby kakafung on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:27 am

Jim buss killing the lakers than the second killer's david stern
maybe they both end up the lakers dynasty
it's horrendous
kakafung

Postby M2K on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:17 am

purp n gold wrote:While some around here think it's "popular" to just blame Jim, I think it's gotten "popular" to excuse the man.

This...!

When I think of Jim Buss... I think of his part in hiring Rudy T, Mike Brown, and Mike D'Antoni... coaches that represented the worst Lakers basketball in the past 20 years.

A firing of Mike D'Antoni (Jimmy's latest mistake) and bringing in Phil Jackson guarantees Dwight in a Lakers uniform... instead... we have Jimmy having Mike D'Antoni in the final meeting with Dwight Howard and barely saying a word.

Jim Buss should be banned from the FO for the next several decades.
M2K

Postby M2K on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:17 am

purp n gold wrote:While some around here think it's "popular" to just blame Jim, I think it's gotten "popular" to excuse the man.

This...!

When I think of Jim Buss... I think of his part in hiring Rudy T, Mike Brown, and Mike D'Antoni... coaches that represented the worst Lakers basketball in the past 20 years.

A firing of Mike D'Antoni (Jimmy's latest mistake) and bringing in Phil Jackson guarantees Dwight in a Lakers uniform... instead... we have Jimmy having Mike D'Antoni in the final meeting with Dwight Howard and barely saying a word.

Jim Buss should be banned from the FO for the next several decades.
M2K

Postby kakafung on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:31 am

maybe i doubt hiring Rudy T is a bad decision
he's not well off and got sick in that moment
it's short of time to prove the decision
forget him
kakafung

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:43 am

Rudy T or the team they had at the time? Let's be honest it wasn't very good. They were in playoff contention until key injuries to Lamar (best rebounder) and Kobe (best scorer) occurred. I wasn't a huge fan of the choice but it was time for Phil to take a break. Real problem wasn't the choice it was the amount. MB? Never understood that one....D'Antoni...hated it but the team cannot always look to Phil to bail them out. Phil would have only worked if he started the season as coach. I just think D'Antoni was the wrong wrong wrong choice regardless of Phil as an option or not.

Biggest mistake is going to prove to be 2 #1's for Nash. Not sure I have ever gotten that one.
cthroatgtr

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:07 am

until jim brings a title to LA, he's going to be critiqued, fairly or unfairly. the same goes for any player or coach who is on this team.

if we wanted to keep dwight, the phil move was our trump card. we didn't use it. if we didnt' really want to sign him, we should have looked for the S&T or never moved bynum for him at all.

jim has a long ways to go, and now he has a team that is essentially starting from scratch, unless you can somehow move our only 2 assets (gasol/nash) for something 10 years young.

i don't doubt that jim is capable, but he hasn't had the results yet for me to put my faith into him.
Pig Miller

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:19 am

Weezy wrote:I couldn't decide what thread to put this in, but I it had mainly to do with the Jim Buss era so I'll put it here. This is why I don't love what we're doing with going 2014 free agency or bust, if we miss, we are going to be bad a looooong time.

@KamBrothers: If as @Ramonashelburne says they'd have amnestied Pau if D12 stayed, it says they're putting every egg into the FA basket...

@KamBrothers: ...Which is a very risky and inefficient way to put together a championship caliber team. BK

@KamBrothers: The class of UFA's next summer is overrated. If they're willing to go slow (as in multiple summers) it could work, but if not? Yeeks. BK

Personally I think trading Pau and Nash and trying to start to get good going pieces now is a better way to go. If we miss on big free agents in 2014, we're going to have to settle for the second tier guys, and again, be bad to mediocre for a looooong time.

That pretty much was my concern when I heard about the "Lebron plan" for 2014. We also had a "Lebron plan" back in 2007. That didn't work since Lebron reupped with Cleveland. It wasn't until Kobe went on the radio and screamed his head off that Jimbo's "plans" stopped and we actually made some real moves.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby OX1947 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:00 am

The veto trade set the Lakers back 5 years even if they get who they want in the next year or two. I hate to keep falling back on that but you tell me if Howard is in Houston if Chris Paul is playing for the Lakers in 2012? Tell me the Lakers would have lost to OKC with Howard, Paul and Kobe in 2012? This whole thing went down the day the veto happened and the Lakers have been reeling since.
OX1947

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:15 am

We're not going to move on if we keep blaming the "CP3 veto". It's over and done with.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby OX1947 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 am

revgen wrote:We're not going to move on if we keep blaming the "CP3 veto". It's over and done with.

It isn't about being over and done with it, it's about people being blamed every day and being called names for it. I think many have subjective vision and blame "Jim Buss" and anyone who isnt Phil Jackson on how the organization is run. While you have coaches who are coaches of the year and taking their teams to Conference title series and still getting fired. All that and you have great coaches like Greg pop who make bone head decisions that cost their teams titles. It's just a whirlwind of adelesant nonsense that continues to build and clouds what needs to be done.

It's funny how Jim Buss gets the blame that no one wants to be in LA to play for the Lakers, go ask Mike Brown that questions and his kids. Why they wanted to go back to Cleveland. Because fans, being the pieces of crap that they are, the lot of them, they are over there bugging them in their personal lives and making fun of people for a freakin sport. Maybe Laker fans are the problem, not Jim Buss in that no one wants to be here.
OX1947

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion