Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:20 am

greckis99 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
greckis99 wrote:I want him to make himself seen....and YES it would...it WOULD make feel beter making himself accountable...damn right it would.so there..YES

so there?...

Okay. Whatever you say greckis.



funny I give my honest htoughts on what I think an owner should for His fans and the franchise..as franchise
Ive watched for ver 30 yrs and this is the response I get...LOL....sound like a child..."whatever" ..I see now
this forum is only for certain topics that YOU have to agree upon , its a damn shame that kind of repsponse
comes froma moderator too..I may not have a million posts but you can see obviously I have been a member
for sometime as this is the best forum Ive been around..You dont have to agree with My thoughts but you
dont have to belittle them either...esp from a moderator...keep the peace and ill go back to just reading posts.

I don't agree with you, but there's no way to argue with this:
greckis99 wrote:.so there..YES

Who sounds like a child?

My response was "whatever you say" because that means "I hear what you're saying, I don't agree, but arguing with you is impossible because you don't argue back with relevant information". Have you heard the expression "hitting your head on a break wall repeatedly and expecting a different outcome? In this context it means you have an opinion that I don't agree with and arguing against it is useless because you're not willing to hear the other side of the argument.

What good does Jim Buss coming out and talking have to do with anything? What does that accomplish? What would you have him say? These are the questions that have been posed to you and you've yet to answer them sufficiently. If Jim Buss came out and said "yes we tried to keep Howard, but he left. Now we're exploring other options" how would that make it better in your mind? Would you say "oh well, good. He came out and said we tried to keep Howard and now he's working on other options." Or would you say "Look at that damn Jim Buss! He couldn't even keep Howard and now he's working on some other stupid plans that won't work!"

Why would he put himself in that position? People already hate him. No matter what he said, it wouldn't matter. Better to keep his mouth shut.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40000
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 am

^^^He lets Mitch take the brunt of the blame when things goes wrong, as Mitch has to the be the one who faces the media and take most of the credit when things look good to the public....thats shameful as an owner/president whatever his role is.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:32 am

Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:47 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...


well, seems like it gets out there that he is "soley" responsible for getting Bynum, than Howard because of his unwillingness to trade Bynum intially. But when things blow up in his face like the Rudy, Brown and Antoni hiring, its Mitch who has to step up to the media and take all the criticism and face the tough questions. But yet our all mighty new owner is never to be heard from or seen
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 am

Really? it's Mitch taking the heat? :man10:

I haven't seen a single person blame Mitch for the hiring of D'Antoni. Not one. Not one person has blamed Mitch for the Howard fiasco. No one.

Who's taking that heat? It's Buss. And if Buss came out and said something, anything, he'd just get trashed again so why bother?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40000
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 am

therealdeal wrote:Really? it's Mitch taking the heat? :man10:

I haven't seen a single person blame Mitch for the hiring of D'Antoni. Not one. Not one person has blamed Mitch for the Howard fiasco. No one.

Who's taking that heat? It's Buss. And if Buss came out and said something, anything, he'd just get trashed again so why bother?


I'm not saying Mitch takes the blame, I'm saying Mitch has to FACE the media for those decisions and results of those decisions. During Shaq tirade and resulting trade, to Kobe trade demands, etc., Dr. Buss was there on the front line addressing the media and granting interviews in regards to the matter, Jim on the other hand, you wouldn't even think actually exist.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 am

khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...


well, seems like it gets out there that he is "soley" responsible for getting Bynum, than Howard because of his unwillingness to trade Bynum intially. But when things blow up in his face like the Rudy, Brown and Antoni hiring, its Mitch who has to step up to the media and take all the criticism and face the tough questions. But yet our all mighty new owner is never to be heard from or seen


I've heard Jim do all kinds of radio interviews in the past year or two to put a face & voice on ownership as Dr. Buss faded further out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

It was under Jim's & Mitch's watch that we were in line to go from a team that won back-to-back titles to trading for CP3 AND Dwight Howard. "Basketball Reasons" and a string of bad luck with injuries this past season blew that vision apart.

Though, I will concede that Jim's track record on hiring coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't put those solely on him when evidence points to Dr. Buss & Mitch also having prominent voices in those decisions.

It's convenient revisionist history to put every bad move on Jim's shoulders and every great move on Mitch's. Better to think of them as one voice in our front office.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Forward Three on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 am

Next few years are looking to be pretty rough. At this point I'm mostly only watching for Kobe, otherwise, I'm content to take a step back for now. It's more than just the state of the Lakers though, the league overall has been changing and the culture surrounding the game has changed. I feel like I've grown up a bit and the League has become more childish, it's harder to see through all the BS and maybe that's on me, but I just think I need a break overall.

Also, cancelled my TV subscription anyway so this was going to be a lean year regardless.
Forward Three

 
Posts: 4596
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...


well, seems like it gets out there that he is "soley" responsible for getting Bynum, than Howard because of his unwillingness to trade Bynum intially. But when things blow up in his face like the Rudy, Brown and Antoni hiring, its Mitch who has to step up to the media and take all the criticism and face the tough questions. But yet our all mighty new owner is never to be heard from or seen


I've heard Jim do all kinds of radio interviews in the past year or two to put a face & voice on ownership as Dr. Buss faded further out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

It was under Jim's & Mitch's watch that we were in line to go from a team that won back-to-back titles to trading for CP3 AND Dwight Howard. "Basketball Reasons" and a string of bad luck with injuries this past season blew that vision apart.

Though, I will concede that Jim's track record on hiring coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't put those solely on him when evidence points to Dr. Buss & Mitch also having prominent voices in those decisions.

It's convenient revisionist history to put every bad move on Jim's shoulders and every great move on Mitch's. Better to think of them as one voice in our front office.


I dont believe its "one voice" at all, Jim was the ONLY one there doing the Mike Brown interview and all reports and still to this day was that Mitch wanted Adleman but he can only say and do so much in response to the OWNER wishes. As for Antoni, based on Jim interview it didn't sound like Dr. Buss decision to me, during the interview Jim did with Mase/Ireland after the hire, it sounded like Jim only ask Dr. Buss if he made the right decision because he was unsure but Dr. Buss just advised him to stick to his gut. Then you have SAS, sure he's a loud mouth dbag but he was right about LBJ and Mia super team before everyone else, he proclaimed Howard to Hou even BEFORE the FA period started and he has stated Mitch wanted to go with Phil and was almost there as evident by the Phil lawyer taking a red eye from NY but we saw how that turned out, you can't tell me Mitch had anything to do with that.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 am

khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...


well, seems like it gets out there that he is "soley" responsible for getting Bynum, than Howard because of his unwillingness to trade Bynum intially. But when things blow up in his face like the Rudy, Brown and Antoni hiring, its Mitch who has to step up to the media and take all the criticism and face the tough questions. But yet our all mighty new owner is never to be heard from or seen


I've heard Jim do all kinds of radio interviews in the past year or two to put a face & voice on ownership as Dr. Buss faded further out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

It was under Jim's & Mitch's watch that we were in line to go from a team that won back-to-back titles to trading for CP3 AND Dwight Howard. "Basketball Reasons" and a string of bad luck with injuries this past season blew that vision apart.

Though, I will concede that Jim's track record on hiring coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't put those solely on him when evidence points to Dr. Buss & Mitch also having prominent voices in those decisions.

It's convenient revisionist history to put every bad move on Jim's shoulders and every great move on Mitch's. Better to think of them as one voice in our front office.


I dont believe its "one voice" at all, Jim was the ONLY one there doing the Mike Brown interview and all reports and still to this day was that Mitch wanted Adleman but he can only say and do so much in response to the OWNER wishes. As for Antoni, based on Jim interview it didn't sound like Dr. Buss decision to me, during the interview Jim did with Mase/Ireland after the hire, it sounded like Jim only ask Dr. Buss if he made the right decision because he was unsure but Dr. Buss just advised him to stick to his gut. Then you have SAS, sure he's a loud mouth dbag but he was right about LBJ and Mia super team before everyone else, he proclaimed Howard to Hou even BEFORE the FA period started and he has stated Mitch wanted to go with Phil and was almost there as evident by the Phil lawyer taking a red eye from NY but we saw how that turned out, you can't tell me Mitch had anything to do with that.

Every shred of real evidence points to the conglomerate of Mitch, Jim, and Jerry all seeing that Phil wasn't excited about the job and that they wanted to bring back a Showtime brand basketball like they had in the 80s before Jerry died. Jerry told Jeanie himself that he thought the NBA was headed more in that direction than Phil's and the fact that they all thought Phil was done coaching and that he wasn't excited about the offer. All of them thought that.

Every shred of real evidence points to them making this mistake together. Everything else is based on fans' feelings.

As for keeping D'Antoni over Howard, that was a good decision and I support Jim and Mitch in it. Howard is not the guy who should dictate the way an office is run.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40000
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am

^^^and the Mike Brown hiring?
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:17 am

khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...


well, seems like it gets out there that he is "soley" responsible for getting Bynum, than Howard because of his unwillingness to trade Bynum intially. But when things blow up in his face like the Rudy, Brown and Antoni hiring, its Mitch who has to step up to the media and take all the criticism and face the tough questions. But yet our all mighty new owner is never to be heard from or seen


I've heard Jim do all kinds of radio interviews in the past year or two to put a face & voice on ownership as Dr. Buss faded further out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

It was under Jim's & Mitch's watch that we were in line to go from a team that won back-to-back titles to trading for CP3 AND Dwight Howard. "Basketball Reasons" and a string of bad luck with injuries this past season blew that vision apart.

Though, I will concede that Jim's track record on hiring coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't put those solely on him when evidence points to Dr. Buss & Mitch also having prominent voices in those decisions.

It's convenient revisionist history to put every bad move on Jim's shoulders and every great move on Mitch's. Better to think of them as one voice in our front office.


I dont believe its "one voice" at all, Jim was the ONLY one there doing the Mike Brown interview and all reports and still to this day was that Mitch wanted Adleman but he can only say and do so much in response to the OWNER wishes. As for Antoni, based on Jim interview it didn't sound like Dr. Buss decision to me, during the interview Jim did with Mase/Ireland after the hire, it sounded like Jim only ask Dr. Buss if he made the right decision because he was unsure but Dr. Buss just advised him to stick to his gut. Then you have SAS, sure he's a loud mouth dbag but he was right about LBJ and Mia super team before everyone else, he proclaimed Howard to Hou even BEFORE the FA period started and he has stated Mitch wanted to go with Phil and was almost there as evident by the Phil lawyer taking a red eye from NY but we saw how that turned out, you can't tell me Mitch had anything to do with that.


Again, the facts simply don't seem to back up that version of events:

Later on, the elder Buss explained to his daughter that the final decision on the hire had been his, and it was not personal toward Jackson. He simply saw the NBA heading in a direction that seemed to fit D'Antoni's uptempo style.


http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9456642/nba-dwight-howard-where-do-los-angeles-lakers-go-here?src=mobile
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:19 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Really? it's Mitch taking the heat? :man10:

I haven't seen a single person blame Mitch for the hiring of D'Antoni. Not one. Not one person has blamed Mitch for the Howard fiasco. No one.

Who's taking that heat? It's Buss. And if Buss came out and said something, anything, he'd just get trashed again so why bother?


I'm not saying Mitch takes the blame, I'm saying Mitch has to FACE the media for those decisions and results of those decisions. During Shaq tirade and resulting trade, to Kobe trade demands, etc., Dr. Buss was there on the front line addressing the media and granting interviews in regards to the matter, Jim on the other hand, you wouldn't even think actually exist.

And Jerry Buss was almost immediately appreciated instead of Jim Buss who is already hated. How do you make them stop hating you? You do it behind closed doors and you make the moves/decisions that brings this team success.

There's absolutely no reason for him to come out and speak to the press. The press will just continue to vilify him like they've been doing and the fans will continue to rip him apart like they've been doing. It doesn't serve a purpose for him to come out and speak to anybody in the public.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40000
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...


well, seems like it gets out there that he is "soley" responsible for getting Bynum, than Howard because of his unwillingness to trade Bynum intially. But when things blow up in his face like the Rudy, Brown and Antoni hiring, its Mitch who has to step up to the media and take all the criticism and face the tough questions. But yet our all mighty new owner is never to be heard from or seen


I've heard Jim do all kinds of radio interviews in the past year or two to put a face & voice on ownership as Dr. Buss faded further out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

It was under Jim's & Mitch's watch that we were in line to go from a team that won back-to-back titles to trading for CP3 AND Dwight Howard. "Basketball Reasons" and a string of bad luck with injuries this past season blew that vision apart.

Though, I will concede that Jim's track record on hiring coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't put those solely on him when evidence points to Dr. Buss & Mitch also having prominent voices in those decisions.

It's convenient revisionist history to put every bad move on Jim's shoulders and every great move on Mitch's. Better to think of them as one voice in our front office.


I dont believe its "one voice" at all, Jim was the ONLY one there doing the Mike Brown interview and all reports and still to this day was that Mitch wanted Adleman but he can only say and do so much in response to the OWNER wishes. As for Antoni, based on Jim interview it didn't sound like Dr. Buss decision to me, during the interview Jim did with Mase/Ireland after the hire, it sounded like Jim only ask Dr. Buss if he made the right decision because he was unsure but Dr. Buss just advised him to stick to his gut. Then you have SAS, sure he's a loud mouth dbag but he was right about LBJ and Mia super team before everyone else, he proclaimed Howard to Hou even BEFORE the FA period started and he has stated Mitch wanted to go with Phil and was almost there as evident by the Phil lawyer taking a red eye from NY but we saw how that turned out, you can't tell me Mitch had anything to do with that.


Again, the facts simply don't seem to back up that version of events:

Later on, the elder Buss explained to his daughter that the final decision on the hire had been his, and it was not personal toward Jackson. He simply saw the NBA heading in a direction that seemed to fit D'Antoni's uptempo style.


http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9456642/nba-dwight-howard-where-do-los-angeles-lakers-go-here?src=mobile


even if thats the case, doesn't or shouldn't indict Mitch into that decision making process.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:25 am

^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?


explain to me the reason Phil had his lawyer fly out from NY on a red eye then and also address how Mitch had any input on Mike Brown hiring when he and Dr. Buss was at the draft combine during that interview
Last edited by khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 am

khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?


explain to me the reason Phil had his lawyer fly out from NY on a red eye then

Because after Phil Jackson gave them the impression that he wasn't that interested in the job, he decided he'd do it. So he called his lawyer to come out and get it done without realizing that the Lakers thought he wasn't very interested.

Phil thought it was his job to reject. The Lakers didn't.

Phil had been telling people close to him repeatedly since he retired that he wasn't up for coaching any more. The Lakers took him at his word.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40000
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:34 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?


explain to me the reason Phil had his lawyer fly out from NY on a red eye then

Because after Phil Jackson gave them the impression that he wasn't that interested in the job, he decided he'd do it. So he called his lawyer to come out and get it done without realizing that the Lakers thought he wasn't very interested.

Phil thought it was his job to reject. The Lakers didn't.

Phil had been telling people close to him repeatedly since he retired that he wasn't up for coaching any more. The Lakers took him at his word.


and Brown? Tell me how Mitch/Dr. Buss had input on that one when Jim was the only one present during the interview and still to this day all reports suggest Mitch wanted Adelman.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:35 am

khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?


explain to me the reason Phil had his lawyer fly out from NY on a red eye then and also address how Mitch had any input on Mike Brown hiring when he and Dr. Buss was at the draft combine during that interview


I'm not disputing that Phil may have been Mitch's first choice (though I've never heard that story about the attorney), what I don't believe is that Mitch was "Phil or nothing" or that he had no say in hiring Mike. I think he could have still supported the D'Antoni hiring while Mike not necessarily being Mitch's top choice.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
User avatar
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 13091
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: http://twitter.com/hosesway

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?


explain to me the reason Phil had his lawyer fly out from NY on a red eye then and also address how Mitch had any input on Mike Brown hiring when he and Dr. Buss was at the draft combine during that interview


I'm not disputing that Phil may have been Mitch's first choice (though I've never heard that story about the attorney), what I don't believe is that Mitch was "Phil or nothing" or that he had no say in hiring Mike. I think he could have still supported the D'Antoni hiring while Mike not necessarily being Mitch's top choice.


whatever transpired with Phil is obviously debatable but there's no debating details of Mike Brown hiring process and you can't tell me based on that hire that Mitch has equal say in the decision process. As for Dr. Buss notes, to me its more like he's covering up for his moronic son, after all Dr. Buss did REHIRE Phil once and got GREAT results out of it.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:40 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?


explain to me the reason Phil had his lawyer fly out from NY on a red eye then

Because after Phil Jackson gave them the impression that he wasn't that interested in the job, he decided he'd do it. So he called his lawyer to come out and get it done without realizing that the Lakers thought he wasn't very interested.

Phil thought it was his job to reject. The Lakers didn't.

Phil had been telling people close to him repeatedly since he retired that he wasn't up for coaching any more. The Lakers took him at his word.


and Brown? Tell me how Mitch/Dr. Buss had input on that one when Jim was the only one present during the interview and still to this day all reports suggest Mitch wanted Adelman.

I never have defended this hiring because I think this was the one that was mostly Jim Buss's idea. Kobe wanted a defensive coach, so Jim thought he got one in Brown who was also a recent Coach of the Year award winner. On paper it made sense, there was a bit of logic to it. Obviously it needed more thought.

But even in this hiring, Mitch and Jerry have the power to say no. It's a three headed monster for a reason. Even if your claim that Mitch wanted Adelman (I don't remember reading/seeing that ever) is true, then Mitch could argue his point. Jerry could have disagreed. No one disagreed, the motion was passed, and now we're stuck with Brown. There's three there for a reason. Jim, at that point, could not hire anyone he wanted. The three had to agree on that.

That doesn't mean Mitch and Jerry are blameless. They too need to share the blame. For as great as Jerry was, he was never that strong at picking coaches anyway. He picked a LOT of crap coaches before he was able to land on Riley and on Phil. And the fact that you have to drop the D'Antoni argument should show that most fans blame Jim for things that aren't necessarily his fault. That's what JSJ and I are talking about.

Jim is just a scapegoat for all of our problems right now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40000
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 am

therealdeal wrote:

Jim is just a scapegoat for all of our problems right now.


most of it is deserved, evident with the falling out with Jeanie.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Do you really think Mitch had zero say in that decision?


explain to me the reason Phil had his lawyer fly out from NY on a red eye then

Because after Phil Jackson gave them the impression that he wasn't that interested in the job, he decided he'd do it. So he called his lawyer to come out and get it done without realizing that the Lakers thought he wasn't very interested.

Phil thought it was his job to reject. The Lakers didn't.

Phil had been telling people close to him repeatedly since he retired that he wasn't up for coaching any more. The Lakers took him at his word.


and Brown? Tell me how Mitch/Dr. Buss had input on that one when Jim was the only one present during the interview and still to this day all reports suggest Mitch wanted Adelman.

I never have defended this hiring because I think this was the one that was mostly Jim Buss's idea. Kobe wanted a defensive coach, so Jim thought he got one in Brown who was also a recent Coach of the Year award winner. On paper it made sense, there was a bit of logic to it. Obviously it needed more thought.

But even in this hiring, Mitch and Jerry have the power to say no. It's a three headed monster for a reason. Even if your claim that Mitch wanted Adelman (I don't remember reading/seeing that ever) is true, then Mitch could argue his point. Jerry could have disagreed. No one disagreed, the motion was passed, and now we're stuck with Brown. There's three there for a reason. Jim, at that point, could not hire anyone he wanted. The three had to agree on that.

That doesn't mean Mitch and Jerry are blameless. They too need to share the blame. For as great as Jerry was, he was never that strong at picking coaches anyway. He picked a LOT of crap coaches before he was able to land on Riley and on Phil. And the fact that you have to drop the D'Antoni argument should show that most fans blame Jim for things that aren't necessarily his fault. That's what JSJ and I are talking about.

Jim is just a scapegoat for all of our problems right now.


I quoted the bold for a reason. Woj reported that Mitch initially wanted Adelman. I have to find the link, but I do remember seeing that and coming from someone reputable like Woj, I tend to believe it. As for the rest of your post, I agree with it. Jerry ultimately ultimately gave the blessing as reported by Ramona Shelburne and we're still here arguing over this which is absurd

Jim isn't perfect. I don't agree with some of the coaching decisions he has made...nevertheless, I am not going to stand here and bash the guy for stuff that is beyond his control. CP3 and Dwight. The CP3 transaction was taken apart by Stern and Dwight choose to leave for various reasons. IMO, there is nothing we could have done to convince Dwight to stay; he already made up his mind at the end of the season to bolt, IMO. IMO, if Jerry were alive during this Dwight fiasco, Jerry would have helped him pack his bags on the way out instead of putting up billboards.

With what has transpired, things aren't as doom & gloom and we've been in worse positions and worked our way through it. We'll have a good draft pick next year and go after FA's the next two years with abandon and starting building this roster to compete for rings. We'll be fine...
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby last stand on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
khmrP wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:Laker fans seem to always need a scapegoat. Not long ago, it was Mitch. He's now passed the "crown" to Jim. I wonder who'll be next...


well, seems like it gets out there that he is "soley" responsible for getting Bynum, than Howard because of his unwillingness to trade Bynum intially. But when things blow up in his face like the Rudy, Brown and Antoni hiring, its Mitch who has to step up to the media and take all the criticism and face the tough questions. But yet our all mighty new owner is never to be heard from or seen


I've heard Jim do all kinds of radio interviews in the past year or two to put a face & voice on ownership as Dr. Buss faded further out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

It was under Jim's & Mitch's watch that we were in line to go from a team that won back-to-back titles to trading for CP3 AND Dwight Howard. "Basketball Reasons" and a string of bad luck with injuries this past season blew that vision apart.

Though, I will concede that Jim's track record on hiring coaches has left a lot to be desired. I don't put those solely on him when evidence points to Dr. Buss & Mitch also having prominent voices in those decisions.

It's convenient revisionist history to put every bad move on Jim's shoulders and every great move on Mitch's. Better to think of them as one voice in our front office.


this. it's just easier for fans to find one guy to place all of the issues on instead of examining the whole situation
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7498
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby khmrP on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:57 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:It's convenient revisionist history to put every bad move on Jim's shoulders and every great move on Mitch's. Better to think of them as one voice in our front office.


and you and the likes who are not off of Jim wagon are giving him full credit for the bynum, howard, and cp3 scenario but are telling the rest of us he shouldn't be blamed. I can't argue any further with Antoni hiring, but Brown hiring is pretty evident, I mean if you were in a 3 way equal partner and was in the process of hiring someone, are you gona take your partners word for it even though you WEREN'T there for the interview yourself? From all indication, Brown got offered the job on the stop right after the interview.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Congo Cash, trodgers and 17 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.