Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 am

Center Court wrote:
TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'll be a bit more rationale and look at reality: Kobe. ... can't be the #1 on a championship team,


He hasn't played a single minute yet this year, so you know this how?

Center Court wrote:and is not all that much fun to be around.


Have you been hanging with Dwight?


He's not going to be able to carry a less than mediocre roster to a the playoffs the way he has in the past. As for a championship, you need your star to be your best player in all aspects. Do you really think that Kobe is the guy in a championship pursuit of 82 game + playoffs. Duncan and Dirk have gotten away with it because of great talent and coaching around them. Kobe is great but IMO not capable of being the #1 guy unless that next option is equally or more dominant.

I don't need to hang with Dwight to see what is right in front of us.


Point #1 - Your response indicates the issue is with the quality of his teammates. Give this year's healthy Kobe last year's Spurs team around him minus any one of their big three and he would still be the #1 guy on that team and they would win the championship. No one is saying that 2014 Kobe is going to be as good as he was 5 years ago, but no need to downgrade him just because he has a weak team around him. Championship teams can be carried by one transcendent player, but they can also be like the Spurs.

Point #2 - What does being fun to be around have to do with anything? Kareem was never fun to be around. Jordan was never fun to be around.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9447
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 am

TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:
TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'll be a bit more rationale and look at reality: Kobe. ... can't be the #1 on a championship team,


He hasn't played a single minute yet this year, so you know this how?

Center Court wrote:and is not all that much fun to be around.


Have you been hanging with Dwight?


He's not going to be able to carry a less than mediocre roster to a the playoffs the way he has in the past. As for a championship, you need your star to be your best player in all aspects. Do you really think that Kobe is the guy in a championship pursuit of 82 game + playoffs. Duncan and Dirk have gotten away with it because of great talent and coaching around them. Kobe is great but IMO not capable of being the #1 guy unless that next option is equally or more dominant.

I don't need to hang with Dwight to see what is right in front of us.


Point #1 - Your response indicates the issue is with the quality of his teammates. Give this year's healthy Kobe last year's Spurs team around him minus any one of their big three and he would still be the #1 guy on that team and they would win the championship. No one is saying that 2014 Kobe is going to be as good as he was 5 years ago, but no need to downgrade him just because he has a weak team around him. Championship teams can be carried by one transcendent player, but they can also be like the Spurs.

Point #2 - What does being fun to be around have to do with anything? Kareem was never fun to be around. Jordan was never fun to be around.


LOL. Kobe on a team oriented team? That's an oxymoron. No way does Kobe win a ring on that Spurs team. He would've killed the chemistry of that team. His game doesn't fit with a "the ball never stops" type offense. His game was about iso and breaking down the defense by himself and either get his own shot or create for others. Pop would have benched Kobe.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:31 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:
TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'll be a bit more rationale and look at reality: Kobe. ... can't be the #1 on a championship team,


He hasn't played a single minute yet this year, so you know this how?

Center Court wrote:and is not all that much fun to be around.


Have you been hanging with Dwight?


He's not going to be able to carry a less than mediocre roster to a the playoffs the way he has in the past. As for a championship, you need your star to be your best player in all aspects. Do you really think that Kobe is the guy in a championship pursuit of 82 game + playoffs. Duncan and Dirk have gotten away with it because of great talent and coaching around them. Kobe is great but IMO not capable of being the #1 guy unless that next option is equally or more dominant.

I don't need to hang with Dwight to see what is right in front of us.


Point #1 - Your response indicates the issue is with the quality of his teammates. Give this year's healthy Kobe last year's Spurs team around him minus any one of their big three and he would still be the #1 guy on that team and they would win the championship. No one is saying that 2014 Kobe is going to be as good as he was 5 years ago, but no need to downgrade him just because he has a weak team around him. Championship teams can be carried by one transcendent player, but they can also be like the Spurs.

Point #2 - What does being fun to be around have to do with anything? Kareem was never fun to be around. Jordan was never fun to be around.


LOL. Kobe on a team oriented team? That's an oxymoron. No way does Kobe win a ring on that Spurs team. He would've killed the chemistry of that team. His game doesn't fit with a "the ball never stops" type offense. His game was about iso and breaking down the defense by himself and either get his own shot or create for others. Pop would have benched Kobe.


I actually *gulp* agree with Let's Go Lakers. Kobe never would have bought into that system. That's not to knock Kobe. He's just not wired that way. Jordan never would have bought into that system either. Kobe has the Jordan mindset. Phil once told Jordan there is no "I" in team and Jordan replied there is in "win" :man10:
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Center Court on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:43 am

TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:
TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'll be a bit more rationale and look at reality: Kobe. ... can't be the #1 on a championship team,


He hasn't played a single minute yet this year, so you know this how?

Center Court wrote:and is not all that much fun to be around.


Have you been hanging with Dwight?


He's not going to be able to carry a less than mediocre roster to a the playoffs the way he has in the past. As for a championship, you need your star to be your best player in all aspects. Do you really think that Kobe is the guy in a championship pursuit of 82 game + playoffs. Duncan and Dirk have gotten away with it because of great talent and coaching around them. Kobe is great but IMO not capable of being the #1 guy unless that next option is equally or more dominant.

I don't need to hang with Dwight to see what is right in front of us.


Point #1 - Your response indicates the issue is with the quality of his teammates. Give this year's healthy Kobe last year's Spurs team around him minus any one of their big three and he would still be the #1 guy on that team and they would win the championship. No one is saying that 2014 Kobe is going to be as good as he was 5 years ago, but no need to downgrade him just because he has a weak team around him. Championship teams can be carried by one transcendent player, but they can also be like the Spurs.

Point #2 - What does being fun to be around have to do with anything? Kareem was never fun to be around. Jordan was never fun to be around.


I agree with statement #1. What I'm saying is that it's tough to build a Spurs like system if Duncan is at $24. Parker just got $13-15 per year over the next 3 years. Having your two best players under $15M each allows you to go out and get guys to complete the system like they did with Diaw, Bellinelli, etc. That also is a testament to a clear identity but that's not on Kobe. Kobe is getting paid like the top player in the NBA and while he is always going to be my favorite athlete, claiming that his contract doesn't hinder us would be negligent.

Point #20 Again, I agree. Who doesn't agree are these new young stars who have ushered in this era of teaming up. This is a new NBA and Kobe is the last of a dying breed. Losing Dwight was a huge blow and IMO the majority of the reason was a poor relationship with Kobe. Without getting into details, it drove Dwight away. Will it continue to hurt us in the future, I don't know but I do know Kobe, with his questionable health, demanding personalities, and enormous contract, is not the ideal teammate for a guy who considers himself a star.
User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3177
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:04 am

Center Court wrote:
TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:
TIME wrote:
Center Court wrote:I'll be a bit more rationale and look at reality: Kobe. ... can't be the #1 on a championship team,


He hasn't played a single minute yet this year, so you know this how?

Center Court wrote:and is not all that much fun to be around.


Have you been hanging with Dwight?


He's not going to be able to carry a less than mediocre roster to a the playoffs the way he has in the past. As for a championship, you need your star to be your best player in all aspects. Do you really think that Kobe is the guy in a championship pursuit of 82 game + playoffs. Duncan and Dirk have gotten away with it because of great talent and coaching around them. Kobe is great but IMO not capable of being the #1 guy unless that next option is equally or more dominant.

I don't need to hang with Dwight to see what is right in front of us.


Point #1 - Your response indicates the issue is with the quality of his teammates. Give this year's healthy Kobe last year's Spurs team around him minus any one of their big three and he would still be the #1 guy on that team and they would win the championship. No one is saying that 2014 Kobe is going to be as good as he was 5 years ago, but no need to downgrade him just because he has a weak team around him. Championship teams can be carried by one transcendent player, but they can also be like the Spurs.

Point #2 - What does being fun to be around have to do with anything? Kareem was never fun to be around. Jordan was never fun to be around.


I agree with statement #1. What I'm saying is that it's tough to build a Spurs like system if Duncan is at $24. Parker just got $13-15 per year over the next 3 years. Having your two best players under $15M each allows you to go out and get guys to complete the system like they did with Diaw, Bellinelli, etc. That also is a testament to a clear identity but that's not on Kobe. Kobe is getting paid like the top player in the NBA and while he is always going to be my favorite athlete, claiming that his contract doesn't hinder us would be negligent.

Point #20 Again, I agree. Who doesn't agree are these new young stars who have ushered in this era of teaming up. This is a new NBA and Kobe is the last of a dying breed. Losing Dwight was a huge blow and IMO the majority of the reason was a poor relationship with Kobe. Without getting into details, it drove Dwight away. Will it continue to hurt us in the future, I don't know but I do know Kobe, with his questionable health, demanding personalities, and enormous contract, is not the ideal teammate for a guy who considers himself a star.


Ok, we're not far apart in perspecticve then. I won't argue the contract thing. I wish he had signed a Duncan type deal. On the teammate thing, I would prefer having Kobe as my teammate with all that comes with his personality rather than a Dwight, but I'm old school and most of the younger players are of the knucklehead variety with just a few exceptions like Durant and one or two others.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9447
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:14 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
LOL. Kobe on a team oriented team? That's an oxymoron. No way does Kobe win a ring on that Spurs team. He would've killed the chemistry of that team. His game doesn't fit with a "the ball never stops" type offense. His game was about iso and breaking down the defense by himself and either get his own shot or create for others. Pop would have benched Kobe.


Just when I think you can't possibly post anything more outrageous than your previous gobsmackers.

Just like Kobe "killed the chemistry" of the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 teams right?

Here's a pop quiz for you: who has averaged more assists over the course of their career; Manu Ginobli, the consummate team player, or Kobe Bryant, the team chemistry killer?

Your comment highlighted in blue = Image
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9447
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 am

TIME wrote:Ok, we're not far apart in perspecticve then. I won't argue the contract thing. I wish he had signed a Duncan type deal. On the teammate thing, I would prefer having Kobe as my teammate with all that comes with his personality rather than a Dwight, but I'm old school and most of the younger players are of the knucklehead variety with just a few exceptions like Durant and one or two others.


I'd take Kobe 10 times out of 10 over Dwight. Not just because of the ring thing. HardWard (Harden and D12) showed a high school clique type leadership this past season. Marginalizing people like Lin...Coming out and publicly saying they are the cornerstones and everyone else are role players. Losing Howard set our team back, no question. But how significantly is completely dependent on how much Dwight would have learned from Kobe. Dwight will not lead anyone to the promise land with his current attitude and methods. Unfortunately, for him, he is already on the decline, IMO. He was great last year, but he was not what he was in Orlando. Houston will take a significant step back this season with the loss of Lin, Asik and Parsons. Ariza will revert back to his pre-contract year form (Can't believe Houston fell for his contract year performance twice :man10: ) .
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9048
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:05 am

TIME wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
LOL. Kobe on a team oriented team? That's an oxymoron. No way does Kobe win a ring on that Spurs team. He would've killed the chemistry of that team. His game doesn't fit with a "the ball never stops" type offense. His game was about iso and breaking down the defense by himself and either get his own shot or create for others. Pop would have benched Kobe.


Just when I think you can't possibly post anything more outrageous than your previous gobsmackers.

Just like Kobe "killed the chemistry" of the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 teams right?

Here's a pop quiz for you: who has averaged more assists over the course of their career; Manu Ginobli, the consummate team player, or Kobe Bryant, the team chemistry killer?

Your comment highlighted in blue = Image


You are not understanding my point. You can't just plug a player like Kobe into a SYSTEM that a great coach like Pop runs and expect everything to run smoothly. It's an oxymoron. Pop runs a system that is based on unselfish ball. The ball never stops moving. And I agree with his philosophy because basketball is a team game and you should always try to manufacture the easiest shot available in every possession.

Kobe's game simply does not fit in. His game is based around dominating the ball and either creating his own shot or creating for others (if the double comes). That's why he's a superstar. Because he can create for himself and for others. But his game is dependent on him dominating the ball, which goes against the philosophy of Pop. If you actually think a guy like Kobe would magically mesh in this system, agree to disagree.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:31 am

:man10: :man10: :man10:
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9920
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
TIME wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
LOL. Kobe on a team oriented team? That's an oxymoron. No way does Kobe win a ring on that Spurs team. He would've killed the chemistry of that team. His game doesn't fit with a "the ball never stops" type offense. His game was about iso and breaking down the defense by himself and either get his own shot or create for others. Pop would have benched Kobe.


Just when I think you can't possibly post anything more outrageous than your previous gobsmackers.

Just like Kobe "killed the chemistry" of the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 teams right?

Here's a pop quiz for you: who has averaged more assists over the course of their career; Manu Ginobli, the consummate team player, or Kobe Bryant, the team chemistry killer?

Your comment highlighted in blue = Image


You are not understanding my point. You can't just plug a player like Kobe into a SYSTEM that a great coach like Pop runs and expect everything to run smoothly. It's an oxymoron. Pop runs a system that is based on unselfish ball. The ball never stops moving. And I agree with his philosophy because basketball is a team game and you should always try to manufacture the easiest shot available in every possession.

Kobe's game simply does not fit in. His game is based around dominating the ball and either creating his own shot or creating for others (if the double comes). That's why he's a superstar. Because he can create for himself and for others. But his game is dependent on him dominating the ball, which goes against the philosophy of Pop. If you actually think a guy like Kobe would magically mesh in this system, agree to disagree.


Of course I'm not understanding your point. Let me try to understand it better using the helpful clarification of your post. I'll use your post and add my thoughts in parenthesis.

You can't just plug a player like Kobe into a SYSTEM (because the Triangle is not a system at all) that a great coach like Pop (because Phil Jackson is not in his league) runs and expect everything to run smoothly (because things never ran smoothly enough in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010). It's an oxymoron. Pop runs a system that is based on unselfish ball (because Phil ran a system based in selfishness). The ball never stops moving (unlike the ball stopping triangle).

Btw, I noticed you chose to forego the "pop" quiz above. Maybe because it doesn't fit the ball stopping narrative?

Kobe has demonstrated more than once in his career that he is willing to move the ball to win. Who do you think passed the ball to Shaq more than anyone else? Who got Pau fully involved in the offense from day one of his arrival? Who was it that force fed the Dwightmare when he was crying for the ball?

Finally, here's another "pop" quiz for you: who said the following, and would the person that said it bench the player he was describing? :man10:

“Kobe is the most talented in the game on both ends of the floor”

Here's the video the quote is taken from. Listen through to the end. Then note the date is 2007.

I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9447
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:35 pm

Image

Well Said TIME!
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11705
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:I actually *gulp* agree with Let's Go Lakers. Kobe never would have bought into that system. That's not to knock Kobe. He's just not wired that way. Jordan never would have bought into that system either. Kobe has the Jordan mindset. Phil once told Jordan there is no "I" in team and Jordan replied there is in "win" :man10:



Image
Image
User avatar
LakerFanIam

 
Posts: 3682
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Sec 117

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:13 pm

If Pop had a player like Kobe next to Duncan and Parker/Ginobili, I would bet that Pop would let Kobe do his thing.

There's Kobe...and then there's Parker and Ginobili. He's on a completely different talent level than those guys, on BOTH ends of the floor.

It's not about Kobe adjusting to Pop's system, you're crazy. It would be Pop adjusting his system for a talent like Kobe.
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9920
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 pm

TIME wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
TIME wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
LOL. Kobe on a team oriented team? That's an oxymoron. No way does Kobe win a ring on that Spurs team. He would've killed the chemistry of that team. His game doesn't fit with a "the ball never stops" type offense. His game was about iso and breaking down the defense by himself and either get his own shot or create for others. Pop would have benched Kobe.


Just when I think you can't possibly post anything more outrageous than your previous gobsmackers.

Just like Kobe "killed the chemistry" of the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 teams right?

Here's a pop quiz for you: who has averaged more assists over the course of their career; Manu Ginobli, the consummate team player, or Kobe Bryant, the team chemistry killer?

Your comment highlighted in blue = Image


You are not understanding my point. You can't just plug a player like Kobe into a SYSTEM that a great coach like Pop runs and expect everything to run smoothly. It's an oxymoron. Pop runs a system that is based on unselfish ball. The ball never stops moving. And I agree with his philosophy because basketball is a team game and you should always try to manufacture the easiest shot available in every possession.

Kobe's game simply does not fit in. His game is based around dominating the ball and either creating his own shot or creating for others (if the double comes). That's why he's a superstar. Because he can create for himself and for others. But his game is dependent on him dominating the ball, which goes against the philosophy of Pop. If you actually think a guy like Kobe would magically mesh in this system, agree to disagree.


Of course I'm not understanding your point. Let me try to understand it better using the helpful clarification of your post. I'll use your post and add my thoughts in parenthesis.

You can't just plug a player like Kobe into a SYSTEM (because the Triangle is not a system at all) that a great coach like Pop (because Phil Jackson is not in his league) runs and expect everything to run smoothly (because things never ran smoothly enough in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010). It's an oxymoron. Pop runs a system that is based on unselfish ball (because Phil ran a system based in selfishness). The ball never stops moving (unlike the ball stopping triangle).

Btw, I noticed you chose to forego the "pop" quiz above. Maybe because it doesn't fit the ball stopping narrative?

Kobe has demonstrated more than once in his career that he is willing to move the ball to win. Who do you think passed the ball to Shaq more than anyone else? Who got Pau fully involved in the offense from day one of his arrival? Who was it that force fed the Dwightmare when he was crying for the ball?

Finally, here's another "pop" quiz for you: who said the following, and would the person that said it bench the player he was describing? :man10:

“Kobe is the most talented in the game on both ends of the floor”

Here's the video the quote is taken from. Listen through to the end. Then note the date is 2007.



Why are you talking about his championship years and Phil? I never said Kobe can't win or can't play unselfish ball. You have to be unseflish at times to win rings. I was responding specifically to what you said about the Kobe and the Spurs.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:29 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:If Pop had a player like Kobe next to Duncan and Parker/Ginobili, I would bet that Pop would let Kobe do his thing.

There's Kobe...and then there's Parker and Ginobili. He's on a completely different talent level than those guys, on BOTH ends of the floor.

It's not about Kobe adjusting to Pop's system, you're crazy. It would be Pop adjusting his system for a talent like Kobe.


Prime Kobe? Yes. Current Kobe (which is the Kobe that was being discussed)? Hell no. No way would Pop accept a 36 year old doing his own thing at the expense of his system. Pop yells at anyone who messes up, including his stars. He runs the show in SA and even the stars must abide by his strict teachings or risk getting humiliated in front of a TV audience.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
TIME wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
TIME wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
LOL. Kobe on a team oriented team? That's an oxymoron. No way does Kobe win a ring on that Spurs team. He would've killed the chemistry of that team. His game doesn't fit with a "the ball never stops" type offense. His game was about iso and breaking down the defense by himself and either get his own shot or create for others. Pop would have benched Kobe.


Just when I think you can't possibly post anything more outrageous than your previous gobsmackers.

Just like Kobe "killed the chemistry" of the 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 teams right?

Here's a pop quiz for you: who has averaged more assists over the course of their career; Manu Ginobli, the consummate team player, or Kobe Bryant, the team chemistry killer?

Your comment highlighted in blue = Image


You are not understanding my point. You can't just plug a player like Kobe into a SYSTEM that a great coach like Pop runs and expect everything to run smoothly. It's an oxymoron. Pop runs a system that is based on unselfish ball. The ball never stops moving. And I agree with his philosophy because basketball is a team game and you should always try to manufacture the easiest shot available in every possession.

Kobe's game simply does not fit in. His game is based around dominating the ball and either creating his own shot or creating for others (if the double comes). That's why he's a superstar. Because he can create for himself and for others. But his game is dependent on him dominating the ball, which goes against the philosophy of Pop. If you actually think a guy like Kobe would magically mesh in this system, agree to disagree.


Of course I'm not understanding your point. Let me try to understand it better using the helpful clarification of your post. I'll use your post and add my thoughts in parenthesis.

You can't just plug a player like Kobe into a SYSTEM (because the Triangle is not a system at all) that a great coach like Pop (because Phil Jackson is not in his league) runs and expect everything to run smoothly (because things never ran smoothly enough in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010). It's an oxymoron. Pop runs a system that is based on unselfish ball (because Phil ran a system based in selfishness). The ball never stops moving (unlike the ball stopping triangle).

Btw, I noticed you chose to forego the "pop" quiz above. Maybe because it doesn't fit the ball stopping narrative?

Kobe has demonstrated more than once in his career that he is willing to move the ball to win. Who do you think passed the ball to Shaq more than anyone else? Who got Pau fully involved in the offense from day one of his arrival? Who was it that force fed the Dwightmare when he was crying for the ball?

Finally, here's another "pop" quiz for you: who said the following, and would the person that said it bench the player he was describing? :man10:

“Kobe is the most talented in the game on both ends of the floor”

Here's the video the quote is taken from. Listen through to the end. Then note the date is 2007.



Why are you talking about his championship years and Phil? I never said Kobe can't win or can't play unselfish ball. You have to be unseflish at times to win rings. I was responding specifically to what you said about the Kobe and the Spurs.


Because what Kobe did in Phil's SYSTEM proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the claims you made about him are completely off base. Are you being intentionally hard headed simply to avoid admitting you were wrong? You are the one claiming he would never fit in Pop's system and that Pop would bench him (one of the most ridiculous claims I have ever seen posted here in my nearly 10 years). I posted the Pop video. Did you watch it?
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9447
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:46 pm

***Sigh***

Again, I was replying specifically to the statement you made about today's version of Kobe going to SA and winning yet you keep talking about the past. We are talking about a 36 year old Kobe coming off serious injuries and not the guy who scored 81 in a game or 62 in 3 qtrs. That guy is long gone.

Take a chill pill bro. You are getting all riled up over nothing.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TIME on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:56 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:***Sigh***

Again, I was replying specifically to the statement you made about today's version of Kobe going to SA and winning yet you keep talking about the past. We are talking about a 36 year old Kobe coming off serious injuries and not the guy who scored 81 in a game or 62 in 3 qtrs. That guy is long gone.

Take a chill pill bro. You are getting all riled up over nothing.


Why would you assume you know my emotional state? I don't get "riled up" answering even the most wearisome posters.

Once again you completely dodged the entire point though. It seems you have a problem staying on topic. The topic we were discussing was not Kobe's ability today vs. his ability when he scored 81. It was whether Kobe could win if he was surrounded by the Spurs team. I simply stated he could and would. You scoffed at that and chose to go waaay over the top by insisting Kobe could not play in Pop's system and Pop would bench him. Again that is blatantly ridiculous and I disproved it with Pop's own words. You were wrong. It would be easier to just own it. Instead you choose to shift the topic with each new post to avoid the inevitable.

But, I'll let the point rest and go take my scheduled chill pill before I get all riled up.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9447
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby OX1947 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:07 am

Still trying to figure out how a selfish player wins 5 world titles. Possibly the most asinine tag to have for winning so much in a team sport.

The guy thanked Pau Gasol while he was receiving an individual award after the finals. How is that selfish?
OX1947

 
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:32 am

TIME wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:***Sigh***

Again, I was replying specifically to the statement you made about today's version of Kobe going to SA and winning yet you keep talking about the past. We are talking about a 36 year old Kobe coming off serious injuries and not the guy who scored 81 in a game or 62 in 3 qtrs. That guy is long gone.

Take a chill pill bro. You are getting all riled up over nothing.


Why would you assume you know my emotional state? I don't get "riled up" answering even the most wearisome posters.

Once again you completely dodged the entire point though. It seems you have a problem staying on topic. The topic we were discussing was not Kobe's ability today vs. his ability when he scored 81. It was whether Kobe could win if he was surrounded by the Spurs team. I simply stated he could and would. You scoffed at that and chose to go waaay over the top by insisting Kobe could not play in Pop's system and Pop would bench him. Again that is blatantly ridiculous and I disproved it with Pop's own words. You were wrong. It would be easier to just own it. Instead you choose to shift the topic with each new post to avoid the inevitable.

But, I'll let the point rest and go take my scheduled chill pill before I get all riled up.


I was responding to what you said below:

"Give this year's healthy Kobe last year's Spurs team around him minus any one of their big three and he would still be the #1 guy on that team and they would win the championship."

That's a pretty bold statement. First off, we have no idea where Kobe is at during this point in time in terms of his impact on the game. Second, it is a tall order for a guy to go into a new system and be "the man" and not somehow mess up the chemistry. Basketball is a team game where players need to know each other and where they will be at certain times. For Kobe to be "the man", go into a new system, at the age of 36, coming off series injuries and being asked to play a type of ball he has never played before and thinking that's a lock for a ring? Hmm, I disagree.

Again, I'm not saying Kobe isn't unselfish. Like I said before, you don't win 5 rings without knowing how to play team ball. But his way of winning rings differed from how the Spurs won last year. I have never seen a team play that well as a unit in terms of offensive efficiency and making teams pay for overextending on D. So it was truly a TEAM championship. On the flip side, Kobe's teams have always been superstar dominant (like most championship teams are) with him having to have a major impact on the game for his teams to win.

Can it be done at age 36? Of course, anything is possible. If Kobe is completely willing to sacrifice his stats. Do I think he would? No. Too many variables.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby thkthebest on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 am

If you think Kobe at this age after his injuries would struggle to be the man, you say, "I think Kobe at this age after his injuries would struggle to be the man."

If you think Kobe's style of play would conflict with the Spurs' style, then you say, "I think Kobe's style of play would conflict with the Spurs' style."

What you don't say is something like, "LOL! Kobe on a team-oriented team? Oxymoron! Win a ring on that team? Impossible! Pop would bench Kobe!"
thkthebest

 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Rooscooter on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:46 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
You are not understanding my point.


No one does who understands the game..... I don't think you understand it either..... You sure have no consistency in "opinion". You'll change your understaning of the game depending on the player you are discussing and your affinity for their athleticism.....

Kobe's not a team player? I'm not sure why you are still here after this crap. You are one of two things.... A troll or someone who has absolutely no clue about what you are watching.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:52 am

Rooscooter wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
You are not understanding my point.


No one does who understands the game..... I don't think you understand it either..... You sure have no consistency in "opinion". You'll change your understaning of the game depending on the player you are discussing and your affinity for their athleticism.....

Kobe's not a team player? I'm not sure why you are still here after this crap. You are one of two things.... A troll or someone who has absolutely no clue about what you are watching.


Gotcha George Mikan. And it's pretty pathetic how you try to so hard to belittle people. Your life must suck.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2880
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby trodgers on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:59 am

Personal confession: I really can't stand reading your posts of late, LGL.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46641
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Rooscooter on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:22 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
You are not understanding my point.


No one does who understands the game..... I don't think you understand it either..... You sure have no consistency in "opinion". You'll change your understaning of the game depending on the player you are discussing and your affinity for their athleticism.....

Kobe's not a team player? I'm not sure why you are still here after this crap. You are one of two things.... A troll or someone who has absolutely no clue about what you are watching.


Gotcha George Mikan. And it's pretty pathetic how you try to so hard to belittle people. Your life must suck.


:man10:

Once again..... You take it to a personal attack with me.

I'm going to dig up the post from a few moths ago where you stated you started watching the Lakers in the early 80's..... That would make you an "old guy" as well...... Right?

New day new story...... :man10:
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], revgen, Scnottaken and 14 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.