Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TalkieWalkie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

The past four seasons have showed us a few things:

1. Kuptchek skills as a GM are top notch..

2. Any basketball decision that Jim Buss makes nullifies any good that Mitch does

There is an air of negativity and ineptness that smells James Dolan like when ever i think of Jimmy. It scares me that they have the same name.

Dr. Bus's was a shrewd business man who built his empire with his own two hands. The Buss family wealth is a result of his cunning and hard work.

In contrast to that, you have the son, Jim. A man who stands atop the mountain his father built finds himself in command of his father's flag-ship brand... Not having weathered the trials and tribulations or experiencing the triumphs and tragedies of his own work, he embarks upon the task of leading a brand to continued success.

He has no regard or consideration that he's not a basketball mind and that maybe there are other people more qualified to do the job of accessing talent. He's the rich son who has everything handed to him and plays with the team like its a side hobby... In it for personal glory.

Jim... If you have any sense in you, follow in your fathers foot-steps... Choose someone who will do the job of running the basketball side of your team and give them the chance to succeed instead of stepping on their feet.

This may be the end of the Lakers as we know them...

Why do you all think Magic sold out his share.... He's smarter than y'all think.

Why associate himself with a franchise that will soon lose its luster and grandeur...
Last edited by TalkieWalkie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
User avatar
TalkieWalkie

 
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: John Celestand's old apartment

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 pm

So the past 2 titles since he took over a larger role in the organization are a mirage?
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:11 pm

JImmy's not the owner....just yet. He's an employee at the moment, just like Jeannie is. Jimmy's not the GM, but he likes to play one on TV, and I actually think he is the defacto GM. Mitch is just his errand boy and his public face if you will.

I think Jerry and JIm like to humor Mitch, and tell him he has a "vote" and a seat at the table. But they get votes too...and they pat Mitch on the back and then overrule whatever Mitch suggests.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21207
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TalkieWalkie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:12 pm

The past two titles ?? What did he do? His biggest contribution is Andrew Bynum. That was 5 years ago
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
User avatar
TalkieWalkie

 
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: John Celestand's old apartment

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:So the past 2 titles since he took over a larger role in the organization are a mirage?


I don't think Jimmy had much to do with the last two titles. That's why he's in such a hurry to distance the Lakers from the Jackson legacy. As soon as possible he is itching to blow this thing up. The pesky reality though...is that Kobe guy, he still wants more rings, and he expects a viable team.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21207
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 pm

He was a third of the decision-making team for the Lakers. If you don't understand, then I won't waste my time discussing it.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 pm

kray28 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:So the past 2 titles since he took over a larger role in the organization are a mirage?


I don't think Jimmy had much to do with the last two titles. That's why he's in such a hurry to distance the Lakers from the Jackson legacy. As soon as possible he is itching to blow this thing up. The pesky reality though...is that Kobe guy, he still wants more rings, and he expects a viable team.


He has been the main player personnel guy since about 2004. I realize that many like to paint everything bad to Jim and everything good to others, but the fact is, Jim has been involved with personnel decisions since the Jerry West days.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:18 pm

jim makes moves as a fan. just like his father and just like cuban. its the best way to own a team. having an emotional interest in the team as opposed to a business always leads to more wins.

jim is a laker fan, he will always treat the team as such and i trust him because he's a fan
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7351
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 pm

I understand that Jimmy also likes to take credit for the drafting of Andrew Bynum...pretty laughable stuff. He latched onto the Drew bangwagon after Ronnie Lester did all the scouting legwork on Drew and brought him to the team's attention in the first place.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21207
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TalkieWalkie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:20 pm

The Malouf Brothers are Kings fans... How many titles do they have???
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
User avatar
TalkieWalkie

 
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: John Celestand's old apartment

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Then I would guess most FOs are a joke, since it is pretty common practice for a scout to scout players, and then for the player personnel people to make decisions on those players.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm

kray28 wrote:I understand that Jimmy also likes to take credit for the drafting of Andrew Bynum...pretty laughable stuff. He latched onto the Drew bangwagon after Ronnie Lester did all the scouting legwork on Drew and brought him to the team's attention in the first place.


and thats a problem. isn't the point of scouting to bring players to the owners and GMs attention and it is up to them to make the final decision on those players

pretty standard practice
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7351
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby kray28 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm

last stand wrote:jim makes moves as a fan. just like his father and just like cuban. its the best way to own a team. having an emotional interest in the team as opposed to a business always leads to more wins.

jim is a laker fan, he will always treat the team as such and i trust him because he's a fan


Actually I would think being a fan would only get in the way of being an effective GM/personnel guy.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21207
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:22 pm

TalkieWalkie wrote:The Malouf Brothers are Kings fans... How many titles do they have???


not like jerry and jim don't already have 10 titles to their name
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7351
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TalkieWalkie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:24 pm

1. Chase away all remenants of Phil Jackson's staff...erode any Jeannie Buss influence.

2. Sign Mike Brown instead of Brian Shaw...

3. Panic-sell Lamar.

Etc.
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
User avatar
TalkieWalkie

 
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: John Celestand's old apartment

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TalkieWalkie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 pm

last stand wrote:
TalkieWalkie wrote:The Malouf Brothers are Kings fans... How many titles do they have???


not like jerry doesn't already have 10 titles to their name


Fixed
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
User avatar
TalkieWalkie

 
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: John Celestand's old apartment

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Doberman on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm

kray28 wrote:I understand that Jimmy also likes to take credit for the drafting of Andrew Bynum...pretty laughable stuff. He latched onto the Drew bangwagon after Ronnie Lester did all the scouting legwork on Drew and brought him to the team's attention in the first place.


It's pointless to dissect this type of credit. By that logic, West doesn't get credit for getting Kobe since it was one of his scouts that recommended he check him out. Bottom line is, once Bynum was on the radar, Jim pulled rank and said "He's our guy". Credit where credit's due.
Doberman

 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm

kray28 wrote:
last stand wrote:jim makes moves as a fan. just like his father and just like cuban. its the best way to own a team. having an emotional interest in the team as opposed to a business always leads to more wins.

jim is a laker fan, he will always treat the team as such and i trust him because he's a fan


Actually I would think being a fan would only get in the way of being an effective GM/personnel guy.


depends. jerry west had a personal interest in the lakers and therefore always took chances at homeruns, jerry and jim have always gambled and forked over extra money for winning because they want the lakers to win.

at the end of the day your more likely to spend money and take chances as a fan as opposed to a business man. can it get in the way? of course. keeping artest and fisher on was a fan move. jim buss said it himself that he was fans of these guys but to me the good outweighs the bad
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7351
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby TalkieWalkie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:So the past 2 titles since he took over a larger role in the organization are a mirage?


I don't think Jimmy had much to do with the last two titles. That's why he's in such a hurry to distance the Lakers from the Jackson legacy. As soon as possible he is itching to blow this thing up. The pesky reality though...is that Kobe guy, he still wants more rings, and he expects a viable team.


He has been the main player personnel guy since about 2004. I realize that many like to paint everything bad to Jim and everything good to others, but the fact is, Jim has been involved with personnel decisions since the Jerry West days.


Jimmy is that you?
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
User avatar
TalkieWalkie

 
Posts: 3950
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: John Celestand's old apartment

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 pm

TalkieWalkie wrote:
last stand wrote:
TalkieWalkie wrote:The Malouf Brothers are Kings fans... How many titles do they have???


not like jerry doesn't already have 10 titles to their name


Fixed


not like jim hasn't had majority control since 2004 or anything
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7351
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby Doberman on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 pm

TalkieWalkie wrote:1. Chase away all remenants of Phil Jackson's staff...erode any Jeannie Buss influence.

2. Sign Mike Brown instead of Brian Shaw...

These are good things.

3. Panic-sell Lamar.
Etc.

Lamar was gone for a TPE with the CP3 trade anyways. We salvaged this part of the deal.
Doberman

 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 pm

kray28 wrote:
last stand wrote:jim makes moves as a fan. just like his father and just like cuban. its the best way to own a team. having an emotional interest in the team as opposed to a business always leads to more wins.

jim is a laker fan, he will always treat the team as such and i trust him because he's a fan

Actually I would think being a fan would only get in the way of being an effective GM/personnel guy.

Being a fan is probably a good thing, you can get a good vibe for how the general fandom feels about certain players and use that to help make decisions. But I get your point, being too much of a fan might lead you to not make a trade that would be good for the team because of an attachment to a certain player.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm

TalkieWalkie wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:He has been the main player personnel guy since about 2004. I realize that many like to paint everything bad to Jim and everything good to others, but the fact is, Jim has been involved with personnel decisions since the Jerry West days.


Jimmy is that you?


No, just a long-time Laker fan who has taken the time to understand how the organization works. Doing so might prevent you from looking so foolish.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby last stand on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:32 pm

TalkieWalkie wrote:1. Chase away all remenants of Phil Jackson's staff...erode any Jeannie Buss influence.

2. Sign Mike Brown instead of Brian Shaw...

3. Panic-sell Lamar.

Etc.


erode any jeannie buss influence? lol

you do realize jeannie has always, and still runs the business aspect of the Lakers organization. she has never run anything basketball related. her influence is no different now than it ever was.

jerry put his business savvy child to run the business side of things and he put his fan oriented child to run the basketball side of things

weird how that worked out
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7351
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Jim Buss = End of the Lakers as we know them...

Postby venturalakersfan on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 pm

last stand wrote:not like jim hasn't had majority control since 2004 or anything


From reading these message boards, evidently he has for the bad decisions, but hasn't for the good decisions.
"Just to be safe, 5% of Americans bring their passports when traveling to New Mexico."
- David Letterman
User avatar
venturalakersfan

 
Posts: 2495
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Ventura

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 10 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.